2021 Summer Olympics (Tokyo)

Agent Red

Completely take your points. For me, in an individual event, the 'self' comes before the team/ nation. Particularly when you're duking it out for the tag of fastest woman alive, as SAFP and ETF were. Think it's very hard to vye for such a mantle and then flick a switch seconds after it's over and hug for the cameras. Particularly if there was a bit of animosity between the two, as it appears there was in this instance.

I think I'm just cynical, but I almost find it a bit artificial when athletes show each other so much love at the end of a race! I feel for them too as they probably feel the pressure to appear gracious in defeat, particulalry when competing against a compatriot, when their immediate, internal reaction is likely very different. So seeing a bit of needle felt quite refreshing and human, in a weird way!
Yeah I can totally see that too and also don’t like when it’s an exaggerated overreaction. You want your athletes to be disappointed when they don’t win because I think that’s the mindset you need to be at the top, but I’d still expect them to go over and give a small acknowledgment quicker than they did.

The equivalent situation was probably Duncan Scott losing to Tom Dean where you could see he was gutted on a personal level but his reaction was more internalised and felt less directed at Tom himself. Probably didn’t help that with the Jamaicans it looked like 2nd and 3rd were both chippy about Thompson-Herah and vocalising that to each other.

Not a big deal but was amusing at the time, and if I was the coach I’d probably rather a more collegiate unit for when it comes to the relays etc.

Classical Mechanic

I'd never heard of Sky Brown before a few days ago but it seems that at 13 she's pretty famous already and there's an industry around her that I don't think even any of the senior athletes in team GB seem to have. Her dad is British and her mum Japanese but has mostly been raised in the US. It seems that all 3 nations were trying to get her to represent them. She's already been on the junior version of the US Strictly Come Dancing and has even released a song. I watched the below interview with her and it's striking just how young she is.

Most of the videos on youtube are posted on her own YT channel which has 300k subscribers. You have to wonder if all this exposure and pressure at her age is a positive thing.

She's got guts though

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I really want to believe ETH ran that clean.
their times have been consistent through the years. AFAIK Joyner went from fairly average to elite in a very short time which is suspicious.

With improvements in technology and training it’s no surprise they’re getting faster, and ETH is almost the perfect sprinter.

Let’s hope though as you say everything comes back clean, as it’s a very impressive time.

United Hobbit

It was on BBC One earlier, this is about the best I could find but only shows the British riders.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/olympics/58037565
Ah that's probably what I found then, it just showing the British riders. Hopefully they show all the final, I'd have liked to see what they did as they got over 90 points, and the British riders were impressive enough and didn't score in the 90s.

United Hobbit

I'd never heard of Sky Brown before a few days ago but it seems that at 13 she's pretty famous already and there's an industry around her that I don't think even any of the senior athletes in team GB seem to have. Her dad is British and her mum Japanese but has mostly been raised in the US. It seems that all 3 nations were trying to get her to represent them. She's already been on the junior version of the US Strictly Come Dancing and has even released a song. I watched the below interview with her and it's striking just how young she is.

Most of the videos on youtube are posted on her own YT channel which has 300k subscribers. You have to wonder if all this exposure and pressure at her age is a positive thing.

She's got guts though

The distance of that gap for the jump she does after coming down the scary huge looking ramp :nervous: I'd like to see the big ramp and half pipe events as well, bet they're exciting

SirAnderson

Anyone have a site or a discord group they can PM me, that have all the highlights of all the events, particularly the track and field stuff that's recently happened. For some reason, my usually source, Supersports, only have the 10k and 400m mix relay events up.

Maxii

Paad
This is what I love about the Olympics, sat down and randomly found the Mixed Judo team event on Eurosport 7. First the bronze medal match and then the final. Didn’t have a clue what was going on at first, then about 3 hours later I’m still watching and hooked.

Withnail

Aidan Walsh has had to pull out of the boxing semi-final due to the self inflicted ankle injury he got celebrating winning his last fight. He must be absolutely gutted.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
fecking hell, those who criticise darts, saying it's not a sport because fat bastards can compete at a high level should watch the hammer throwing.

Spark

Anyone up watching the BMX Freestyle? Charlotte Worthington has just absolutely smashed her second run, having fallen on the first. Has pushed the American - who had a near perfect 96/99 run - into second place with a mad score of 97/99.

The American gets a second crack any minute now, but has to somehow do even better.

This is the shit worth being awake for and writing off my Sunday morning.

edit: and the American has bottled it! Unreal scenes!

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Anyone up watching the BMX Freestyle? Charlotte Worthington has just absolutely smashed her second run, having fallen on the first. Has pushed the American - who had a near perfect 96/99 run - into second place with a mad score of 97/99.

The American gets a second crack any minute now, but has to somehow do even better.

Excellent performance to get back on smash a never seen before trick out the park after falling on it the first time round.

Hephaestus

That was unbelievable. 2 golds and a silver in BMX so far for Britain.

U99ted

The women’s BMX Freestyle was of a much higher standard than the women’s skateboarding from earlier in the week.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
That is an insane effort especially after she fell in the first run . Could have played it safer and gone just for a medal but she went for it and pulled off the incredible

LDUred

Absolute scenes in the BMX.

Worthington went for broke instead of just going for silver and bronze.

LDUred

Peaty was outstanding but Dressell was the difference there. GB needed a lead or to be level going into the last leg.

You'd ideally want Peaty to be building a substantial lead going into the fly but he had to eat up quite a lot.

Agent Red

A shame not to win but that American squad had a bit more depth than we did.

Peaty is truly exceptional.

Carolina Red

Staff
Heat is gonna be a factor in the final round of the golf tournament today. Currently 90 (32) with a real feel of 102 (38) due to humidity and it’s expected to get up to 95 (35) with a real feel reaching 105 (40).

Charlie Foley

Disappointing night for Irish boxing with Walsh pulling out for stupidly injuring himself and Walker unlucky to lose that split decision

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
That relay was pretty great . Sign of how far GB have come that they looked devastated with a silver but USA just had a bit too much. If GB had a 100m backstroke guy they probably win Gold

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
For the love of god, will someone please make some putts so Rory Sabbatini doesnt medal
What's wrong with Sabbatini? I am quite drunk and keep confusing him with Mcllroy when the commentators say "Rory", so I hope he does poorly for that reason.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Emma McKeon has gone past Thorpe and Liesel Jones as our most successful Swimmer.

Logan Martin winning gold in BMX and The Sailing gold along with the 2 swimming golds means Australia has had its best day at the olympics.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Ben Whittaker about to get robbed in the boxing semi final, comfortably won the first round when the Russian couldn't land a glove on him yet lost it 3-2, won the 2nd 4-1 but the Russian has come back in the 3rd and will take it.

EDIT: Somehow got across the line, no idea how he scored better in the 3rd than the 1st.

LDUred

Ben Whittaker get in you beauty. Deserved that and stuck to his guns.

Got to love the commentary of Ronald McIntosh, 'marinate in the minds of the judges'.

LDUred

Ben Whittaker about to get robbed in the boxing semi final, comfortably won the first round when the Russian couldn't land a glove on him yet lost it 3-2, won the 2nd 4-1 but the Russian has come back in the 3rd and will take it.

EDIT: Somehow got across the line, no idea how he scored better in the 3rd than the 1st.
I think they obviously gave the Russian credit for coming forward and forcing the issue in R1 but it was still a bit farcical. What scoring shots did he have exactly? Whittaker certainly outscored him. He didn't really land much in the last round.

In every round the better work was coming from Whittaker but he could have thrown a few more combinations.

I saw the final round as fairly even but Whittaker finished the stronger. May have been the difference.