2021 Summer Olympics (Tokyo)

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Ben Whittaker about to get robbed in the boxing semi final, comfortably won the first round when the Russian couldn't land a glove on him yet lost it 3-2, won the 2nd 4-1 but the Russian has come back in the 3rd and will take it.

EDIT: Somehow got across the line, no idea how he scored better in the 3rd than the 1st.
Exactly. I was stunned after the first round but then I was even more stunned after the third

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I think they obviously gave the Russian credit for coming forward and forcing the issue in R1 but it was still a bit farcical. What scoring shots did he have exactly? Whittaker certainly outscored him. He didn't really land much in the last round.

In every round the better work was coming from Whittaker but he could have thrown a few more combinations.

I saw the final round as fairly even but Whittaker finished the stronger. May have been the difference.
Whilst I still thought he won the 3rd, after the scoring of the 1st I've no idea how they thought he performed better in the later round. Thought the 1st was a tactical masterclass, making the Russian swing and miss constantly and getting out of the corner and off the ropes with lovely quick feet.

LDUred

Whilst I still thought he won the 3rd, after the scoring of the 1st I've no idea how they thought he performed better in the later round. Thought the 1st was a tactical masterclass, making the Russian swing and miss constantly and getting out of the corner and off the ropes with lovely quick feet.
Yeah, Whittaker is very easy on the eye, his footwork is effortless. Definitely the pick of the bunch in the GB team.

Clarke and Aliev ends up going to Clarke through a DQ after some head clashes. Seemed like Aliev was pushing his head forcefully and perhaps purposefully into Clarke's. Was clearly warned and subsequently DQ'd.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

Two GB men in the boxing final with Yafai and Clarke still to go. McCormack would‘ve preferred to get there another way but 6/11 boxers from the team have won a medal now which could be 7 if Yafai wins his quarters. Still possible for 6 fighters to box in the final. Fantastic performance already.

Last edited:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Bottlejob by Matsuyama means half of the field will be in the play off for the bronze :lol:

Classical Mechanic

Yeah, Whittaker is very easy on the eye, his footwork is effortless. Definitely the pick of the bunch in the GB team.

Clarke and Aliev ends up going to Clarke through a DQ after some head clashes. Seemed like Aliev was pushing his head forcefully and perhaps purposefully into Clarke's. Was clearly warned and subsequently DQ'd.
Whittaker is very slick. He works his jab on the outside very well. He reminds me of James De Gale.

Fair play to Worthington winning that final with a trick never before pulled off by a woman in competition.

edcunited1878

Xander takes Men's Golf Gold! From San Diego, mother born in Chinese Taipei and grandparents living in Japan for quite a while. Awesome for him and his family!

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Hassan will run the 1500m, 5k and 10k. That's insane. Potential to be the women of the Olympics with that programme.

Dante

Average bang
It totally makes sense that the land of Playstation would give us the first Olympics with events in Tony Hawk and Dave Mirra.

Dante

Average bang
Apparently, Charlotte Worthington is from Chorlton. And she used to work as a chef at La Casita. I've eaten there!

EDIT: Apparently, it was The Beagle. I'd drunk there, but never eaten.

Last edited:

Carolina Red

Staff
Xander takes Men's Golf Gold! From San Diego, mother born in Chinese Taipei and grandparents living in Japan for quite a while. Awesome for him and his family!
Schauffele just had no holes in his game this week. Such a solid tournament for him.

Hopefully he’s able to see his grandparents before he has to go back to the States.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Just came here to say that Charlotte Worthington’s 2nd BMX run was insane.

United Hobbit

Come on Max Whitlock at least get a medal, preferably gold

Have to watch the BMX on iplayer later

Sounds like the golf tournament was exciting

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Max still ahead

Slovenia beats Spain, still unbeaten with Luka, who didn't play well and still went 1 assist from a triple double. In FIBA :lol:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Hassan will run the 1500m, 5k and 10k. That's insane. Potential to be the women of the Olympics with that programme.
Yeah that's crazy. Risk of spreading herself too thin as she has fierce competition in each of her events - 1500m (Kipyegon and Muir), 5k (all the Ethiopians) and 10k (Gidey, Tsegay). Having said that, a lot will ride on how competitive her heats are. Often the pace is slow enough to mean she can keep her legs fresh and the heat in Tokyo this week as well could force athletes' hands to take it gentler.

LDUred

He put everything on that one routine in this games and he has absolutely nailed it.

Arise, Sir Max.