2021 Summer Olympics (Tokyo)

Classical Mechanic

There was a show on the BBC a month or so ago about Helen Glover, British rower (probably still on the BBC IPlayer).

She won a rowing gold in 2012 and 2016 (as well as a shedload of other titles) then retired.

Had a baby in 2018 and twins in 2020. Then decided to try and come back but due to COVID/lockdown, trained by herself, no coaches.

Her and her husband .
This is her husband

SirAnderson

Yet to see someone do the second problem, even get on to the zone. And the last one looks even more crazy.
Edit: Someone just got the final one. But great...they weren't showing it. Meh.

Mike Smalling

For the crash in the team pursuit between Denmark and GB, apparently the officials are supposed to raise/wave flags, when one team is close to catching a legal rider from the other team. This didn't happen, which could explain why the lead rider was still looking down when he caught up.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yet to see someone do the second problem, even get on to the zone. And the last one looks even more crazy.
Edit: Someone just got the final one. But great...they weren't showing it. Meh.
The (lack of) coverage is doing my head in. Can’t watch it anywhere. I guess it’s only the qualifiers but still. First ever olympics you’d think they’d make more of an effort…

slyadams

The men's 400m hurdles threatened to be the race of the games and it certainly delivered. To see three athletes go faster than anyone else has ever gone before in the one race could be unprecedented. And to knock 7/10 of a second off the existing record puts it in the same ballpark as Bolt's 100m in 2009 and Johnson's 200m in 1996 in destroying people's expectations of what constitutes the human limit in any event.
Whilst its fun to see, the super spikes and the track must surely have contributed a lot to that?

SirAnderson

The (lack of) coverage is doing my head in. Can’t watch it anywhere. I guess it’s only the qualifiers but still. First ever olympics you’d think they’d make more of an effort…
It is super frustrating for sure.
I was watching the climbing, boxing and beams, but couldn't find the final of the ladies long jump anywhere. But the time I finally found it, there where showing the winning positions.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Crazy suspicious
So three guys beat an almost 3 decades old world record in the same race. You can either link that to the fast track and new spikes which give them a substantial advantage compared to athletes in the past, or you can suspect them all three individually for doping themselves seperately from each other, in the same discipline, and all without getting caught by the numerous doping controls they've had to do. Not to mention that the gold medalist almost ran a sub 46 one month ago as well.

Yeaahhhhh okay gimme the first one

SirAnderson

URGH!!! So frustrating the cameras on the boulders. They showing people that's doing nothing, while someone that just finished the super hard problem 2 was not even being shown. :mad:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Whilst its fun to see, the super spikes and the track must surely have contributed a lot to that?
Aye. I hope this isn't just the first of multiple records collapsing purely because of the spikes. Otherwise seeing performances like this in the future will barely raise a shrug of the shoulders, undermining what made athletics such a demanding sport.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
URGH!!! So frustrating the cameras on the boulders. They showing people that's doing nothing, while someone that just finished the super hard problem 2 was not even being shown. :mad:
Driving me mad. First Megos the first to get a zone on the second boulder and almost the top - they show no coverage. Then Mawem tops it and they once again miss it (at least showed a replay).
Probably an inexperienced crew at work who normally don't cover climbing?

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
A few minutes of streaming have shown me that I do not understand how competitive climbing works, at all :lol:

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Driving me mad. First Megos the first to get a zone on the second boulder and almost the top - they show no coverage. Then Mawem tops it and they once again miss it (at least showed a replay).
Seems their focus is completely random.

Withnail

So three guys beat an almost 3 decades old world record in the same race. You can either link that to the fast track and new spikes which give them a substantial advantage compared to athletes in the past, or you can suspect them all three individually for doping themselves seperately from each other, in the same discipline, and all without getting caught by the numerous doping controls they've had to do. Not to mention that the gold medalist almost ran a sub 46 one month ago as well.

Yeaahhhhh okay gimme the first one
Sorry mate but I suspect literally everyone in the top end of athletics especially when they are smashing records.

Doping controls are a bit of a joke let's face it. People have gotten away with it for years.

However, what's the story with the spikes and the track? Is it really going to boost your time by more than a second over 400m?

Pogue Mahone

The Mawem bros must be gold medal contenders. They both got phenomenal times in the speed and now Mikael is crushing in the bouldering.

Withnail

You’re Irish, aren’t you? Which gym did you climb in? I’m a regular in all four Dublin climbing gyms. Probably crossed paths at some point!
That's mad. I used to go to Gravity a few times a week a few years ago. It's a bit of a trek for me and awesome walls would be the handiest if I drove so it's been more sporadic over the past few years but something I'll be looking to get back into over the next while.

Pogue Mahone

That's mad. I used to go to Gravity a few times a week a few years ago. It's a bit of a trek for me and awesome walls would be the handiest if I drove so it's been more sporadic over the past few years but something I'll be looking to get back into over the next while.
Nice one! I go to The Wall (in Sandyford) two or three times a week. Tend to hit one of the other gyms once a week as well, to keep things interesting. Was in Gravity a couple of weeks back. They always have interesting problems. The current blue set is very cool.

slyadams

Aye. I hope this isn't just the first of multiple records collapsing purely because of the spikes. Otherwise seeing performances like this in the future will barely raise a shrug of the shoulders, undermining what made athletics such a demanding sport.
I listened to a podcast on these spikes and its actully the foam in the shoe that makes the difference. Its all about making the foam return as much energy as possible after its absorbed the impact, and these new generation of shoes/foams have upped this from around 60% to 85%.

Pogue Mahone

Mawem instantly topping Boulder 3.

Fair to say the best olymlic climber I've ever seen.
M Mawem on fire, wow. Smashing this event.
Wasn’t tipped for a medal beforehand. Although anyone who follows him on Instagram knows he’s an absolute beast. Just hasn’t produced in the major comps. Until now!

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
The Mawem bros must be gold medal contenders. They both got phenomenal times in the speed and now Mikael is crushing in the bouldering.
Medal favorites for sure but boulder can be quite a lottery, you might crush it one day and then completely fail the next day.
For me, Tomoa stays the gold favorite.

SirAnderson

Thank goodness for the replays. I mean, surely the camera people can hear the screams of someone doing well and go to it. Anyway. Despite missing some of it real time, been great watch seeing these guys in action.

SirAnderson

Definitely. When’s he up? I’m dying a slow death trying to work out what the feck’s going on via tv coverage only…
He should be up to do the last boulder soon. He just finished the 3rd earlier. Think he only got the zone in the 3rd, but could have missed it, if he topped it.

EDIT: mixed up. He is doing problem 3 now. Finished problem 1 and 2, completely.