2021 Summer Olympics (Tokyo)

Agent Red

I think Russia will finish 4th unfortunately unless Laura kenny can come up with another gold . Lauren price is the only other one who can get gold
I agree. I think Laura Kenny and Lauren Price could both do it, but I think Russia could equal us and then win on the silvers.

What are our gold medal hopes now? Lauren Price will be favourite tomorrow in her boxing final but I'm not sure what other gold medal prospects we have.
Laura Kenny is probably the next strongest chance and then an outside effort with Jack Carlin in the Keirin, but think latter is unlikely and I’m not sure what Kenny’s competition is like. She did look great in the Madison though.

Classical Mechanic

I agree. I think Laura Kenny and Lauren Price could both do it, but I think Russia could equal us and then win on the silvers.

Laura Kenny is probably the next strongest chance and then an outside effort with Jack Carlin in the Keirin, but think latter is unlikely and I’m not sure what Kenny’s competition is like. She did look great in the Madison though.
Cheers, we may need Carlin to pull something out of the bag.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Only India's second ever individual gold medal. Shocking for such a huge country but yes a great story and Indias most successful olympics ever.
TBF when cricket is the religion and kabadi probably has more support it’s not a shock. It’s about investment at grass roots, changing attitudes towards sports and getting past sexist attitudes where women are concerned.
if India took the attitude that China has then there’d be a lot more medals

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Just had a look and Russia are Currently playing the volleyball final versus France in which they are trailing. They have the handball final versus France tomorrow which is gonna be close and they are also in the rhythmic gymnastics final

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
TBF when cricket is the religion and kabadi probably has more support it’s not a shock. It’s about investment at grass roots, changing attitudes towards sports and getting past sexist attitudes where women are concerned.
if India took the attitude that China has then there’d be a lot more medals
Agreed. Also corruption at the sports associations. I don't know if the China model is my ideal example to follow but can certainly learn a lot from them along with countries like Australia and America.

Last edited:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Agreed. Also corruption at the sports associations. I don't know the China model is my ideal example to follow but can certainly learn a lot from them along with countries like Australia and America.
Think they have it better with sports scholarships and institutes of sport. Far too much corruption where college entry is concerned in India. I know it's far from perfect in US especially after the 'Felicity Huffman' scandal but it's more transparent. In India the culture is accepted

Agent Red

Just had a look and Russia are Currently playing the volleyball final versus France in which they are trailing. They have the handball final versus France tomorrow which is gonna be close and they are also in the rhythmic gymnastics final
yep, from what I’ve read they’re pretty nailed on in the rhythmic gymnastics so we need a double from France to stop them getting anything in the other two. Allez les bleus!

Last edited:

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
yep, from what I’ve read they’re pretty nailed on in the rhythmic gymnastics so we need a double from France to stop them getting anything in the other two. Allez les bleus!

Edit: France do take gold in the volleyball
Your stream seems to be fast …

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
So happy for Chopra winning the Gold. These Olympics had a case of showing a lot of promise without delivering till the Gold - with near misses in women's hockey, golf, shooting (10m Mens and mixed where we topped qualifying but failed to replicate that in the finals) and even wrestling where some of the prospects disappointed.

But, you can feel (irrespective of the gold) that we're taking strides in the right direction and we are sending more prospects than ever before, despite the sports budget having gone down last year

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
That women's 10k run looked insane, especially with all the athletes collapsing right after the finish. Also mental to think people can run 10k with am average pace of over 20km ph.

United Hobbit

Rhythmic gymnastics... no way would I have the co ordination for it I'd end up falling over the ball and tripping on the ribbon :lol:

Surprised China don't have any entrants given its gymnastics based

Kopral Jono

I'm having proper Olympic blues knowing that final day is tomorrow. It's been a fantastic two weeks. I'll remember the day Indonesia unexpectedly winning its only gold this year in the badminton women's doubles for a very long time, making us the only country apart from China have won gold in all five disciplines of badminton at the Olympics. It really has lifted the spirit of a country ravaged by the latest wave of Covid.

It's also been great to see countries with great sporting potentials such as India, the Philippines and Turkey doing well this year.

Kopral Jono

Yes, phew! I looked back and realised I’d misread the tweet about France winning the men’s handball.
And a total nail-biter in both fronts! What a fantastic penultimate day from start to finish, from the women's golf to men's volleyball.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It just hit me that France played three Men finals today.

el3mel

Pretty good Olympics for us imo. Really happy with what was done. Could have done even more.

Our first Gold medal since 2004 in Women's Karate. Finally heard our national anthem again in Olympics. :drool:
Silver medal in modern pentathlon, not just our first ever medal in this sport, but also the first ever African medal in it in general. Huge achievement.
4 Bronze medals.
A lot of good results in other sports even with no medals.. The handball team finished 4th and is steadily becoming at least top 6 best handball teams in the world imo. Ton of class and talent but just lacks experience to win against the big guns. Most of the team is young though and I'm sure if they keep on progressing and improving normally, they would be able to achieve even better results in the future tournaments.
Football team reached QF passing through a tough group.
We had a quarter finalist player in Tennis Table which is a sport completely dominated by China and Asian player in general.
Lost a chance to win another Bronze medal in Greco-Roman Wrestling.
Fencing team finished 5th.
We also had a finalist in Diving which wasn't expected at all.

Considering that most if not all of these are mostly individual achievements and not coming thanks to any proper preparations, I'm pleased.

Agent Red

I'm having proper Olympic blues knowing that final day is tomorrow. It's been a fantastic two weeks. I'll remember the day Indonesia unexpectedly winning its only gold this year in the badminton women's doubles for a very long time, making us the only country apart from China have won gold in all five disciplines of badminton at the Olympics. It really has lifted the spirit of a country ravaged by the latest wave of Covid.

It's also been great to see countries with great sporting potentials such as India, the Philippines and Turkey doing well this year.
I’ll be feeling exactly the same way on Monday morning. I always get so into the Olympics and the positivity of it is like nothing else. All the normal fractiousness of British politics gets temporarily suspended while everyone’s got a common thing to get behind and I love hearing about all the athletes’ different backgrounds and it demonstrating the many different ways you can be British.

I was in Rio for the games four years ago and the way the atmosphere just takes over the city is really special. Such a shame Tokyo didn’t get that part of the experience, but they’ve put on a great games and hopefully things will be back to normal for Paris (I’ll definitely be trying to get tickets again).

Congrats on your country’s success and glad it’s given you a lift too!

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Feck me just seen the 1.500m. Ingebrigtsen is insaaaaaane.

Kopral Jono

I’ll be feeling exactly the same way on Monday morning. I always get so into the Olympics and the positivity of it is like nothing else. All the normal fractiousness of British politics gets temporarily suspended while everyone’s got a common thing to get behind and I love hearing about all the athletes’ different backgrounds and it demonstrating the many different ways you can be British.

I was in Rio for the games four years ago and the way the atmosphere just takes over the city is really special. Such a shame Tokyo didn’t get that part of the experience, but they’ve put on a great games and hopefully things will be back to normal for Paris (I’ll definitely be trying to get tickets again).

Same here. I always seem to really get into it since I was very young, and like you I also feel the positive energy exuding from it is unlike any other sporting events. I was in Germany for a bit and South Africa for the 2006 and 2010 World Cup respectively but sadly I have not experienced the Olympics in person. I'd love to be in Paris in three years time, pandemic permitting, and I wouldn't mind going to Los Angeles, too, when the time comes since I had spent quite a bit of time there in the past.

On bolded, much appreciated. To give you some context on the badminton: we were clear favourites to win the gold medal in men's doubles, a very good chance in men's singles, a decent chance in mixed doubles but it was our unseeded pair in women's doubles (one of the pair actually came back from retirement in four years ago!) who brought home the gold, deservedly beating the number one, two and four seeds along the way. And like I said what makes it much sweeter is that with the couple's win, we're now the only country apart from China to have won gold in all five badminton disciplines at the Olympics -- a very big deal on these shores. Only at the Olympics you get wholesome sporting stories like these.

Pretty good Olympics for us imo. Really happy with what was done. Could have done even more.

Our first Gold medal since 2004 in Women's Karate. Finally heard our national anthem again in Olympics. :drool:
Silver medal in modern pentathlon, not just our first ever medal in this sport, but also the first ever African medal in it in general. Huge achievement.
4 Bronze medals.
A lot of good results in other sports even with no medals.. The handball team finished 4th and is steadily becoming at least top 6 best handball teams in the world imo. Ton of class and talent but just lacks experience to win against the big guns. Most of the team is young though and I'm sure if they keep on progressing and improving normally, they would be able to achieve even better results in the future tournaments.
Football team reached QF passing through a tough group.
We had a quarter finalist player in Tennis Table which is a sport completely dominated by China and Asian player in general.
Lost a chance to win another Bronze medal in Greco-Roman Wrestling.
Fencing team finished 5th.
We also had a finalist in Diving which wasn't expected at all.

Considering that most if not all of these are mostly individual achievements and not coming thanks to any proper preparations, I'm pleased.
Congratulations on Egypt! I definitely notice that medals are being spread around participating teams quite nicely this summer. Long may this trend continue.

United Hobbit

I can see why everyone was talking about the Egyptian pentathlete he came from absolutely miles back to almost win, if he'd done better in the earlier events he'd have won by miles

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú

One other thing I have noticed is that the athletes seem a lot more humble as well and hence very relatable . Feel like football has lost that and apart from the odd footballer you don’t feel like you have a connection with any of the modern footballers

United Hobbit

One other thing I have noticed is that the athletes seem a lot more humble as well and hence very relatable . Feel like football has lost that and apart from the odd footballer you don’t feel like you have a connection with any of the modern footballers
I'd agree with that actually, eg Tom Daley could be a brat after all the fame and success from such a young age but he's not he's lovely

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yup . Love Tom Daley so much

Is it me or the second post is pretty vile? It's not because you are appaled by something that you should call an entire nation sick, warped people?

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Is it me or the second post is pretty vile? It's not because you are appaled by something that you should call an entire nation sick, warped people?
Yeah it’s not nice . I just posted it because it had the link for the article

Bertie Wooster

To be fair to footballers, I'd say a lot of that is mostly the differing narrative of the media.

Watching the Olympics is a bit like watching the X Factor with the emotional back stories of the competitors played up to the max to pull the viewer in emotionally - largely because they're competing in sports most don't care about so it's the patriotic / emotional side of it that's the appeal.

But as many footballers as athletes will have emotional back stories that the media could focus on to personalise them more and make them 'relatable' and 'likeable'. And the PL players are mostly all a story of working class people from humble roots overcoming the odds and rising to the top of their game. And when you see a lot of footballers interviewed, most come across as quite decent and likeable.

It's more the media narrative that spends more time pushing them as overpaid prima donnas, and focusing on their current wealth, rather than on their humble beginnings and the odds they've had to overcome to achieve their goals in football - as they do with the Olympians.

Agent Red

Yeah agree. Money hasn’t changed these sports the way football has as most of them are pretty low earning (bar the Usain Bolts of the world) and so the athletes are relatively normal in terms of their living circumstances and just doing it for the love of the sport. I don’t like seeing big money going into cricket now for similar reasons.

The Russian tv stuff about Daley and Hubbard was terrible. You can’t make generalisations about Russians in general like that tweet has, but the way the Russian State promulgates this culture and their total lack of remorse over their doping scheme is depressing.