2022 US Elections

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Can't be allowing everyone eligible to vote vote, claims the party of freedom, individual rights, and values.
The right wanted to enforce a law that states there can't be Saturday voting after a holiday in the week.

The holiday in this case was Robert E. Lee's bday. SC actually wised up & said 'nah.'

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
GA Supreme Court reinstated the six week abortion ban a couple of days ago, youngsters are pissed.
As well they should be. Talking to my niece (a HS Sr in GA) and she is pissed. Not because she ever wants to get an abortion, but for her it basically comes down to: You adults fecked up the planet for us and now you're trying to remove rights from us that are basic and that you had. She is so much more politically, and socially, aware then I was at that age. Hell, more than I was until my mid 20's!

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
As well they should be. Talking to my niece (a HS Sr in GA) and she is pissed. Not because she ever wants to get an abortion, but for her it basically comes down to: You adults fecked up the planet for us and now you're trying to remove rights from us that are basic and that you had. She is so much more politically, and socially, aware then I was at that age. Hell, more than I was until my mid 20's!
She sounds like a winner. Good on her.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
It will never not amaze me that voter suppression is actually a thing in “the greatest democracy in the world”.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
It will never not amaze me that voter suppression is actually a thing in “the greatest democracy in the world”.
It was baked into our Constitution from the beginning. So much so we have needed to it amend multiple times just to grant the right to vote to everyone who was not a white, land owning, man.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Young people have more platforms to engage in current issues than we did 20/30/40-something years ago. Thirty years ago all I had were local newspaper articles, local news programming, and some national level news and published print but we mostly relied on the adults and peers around us to "fit in." Most local reporting were probably slanted to the regional sentiment. The internet, social media, and cable/satellite has elevated awareness and encouraged action, positively and negatively. I most likely would never have accepted Republican principles in my teens into my twenties with all this knowledge and information readily available the past decade as it went grossly against my core beliefs and views on humanity. Higher education and escaping my own thinking - getting past my own cognitive dissonance - took me on a different path in my thirties.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Young people have more platforms to engage in current issues than we did 20/30/40-something years ago. Thirty years ago all I had were local newspaper articles, local news programming, and some national level news and published print but we mostly relied on the adults and peers around us to "fit in." Most local reporting were probably slanted to the regional sentiment. The internet, social media, and cable/satellite has elevated awareness and encouraged action, positively and negatively. I most likely would never have accepted Republican principles in my teens into my twenties with all this knowledge and information readily available the past decade as it went grossly against my core beliefs and views on humanity. Higher education and escaping my own thinking - getting past my own cognitive dissonance - took me on a different path in my thirties.
This is exactly my story as well. Grew up in a very conservative, Catholic, republican household and community. Catholic schooling all the way through university. Wasn't until I moved to Birmingham (AL) that I realized that pretty much everything I thought I believed in did not match what I actually believed in. To paraphrase a song lyric: Who I was and who I wanted to be did not connect. It really was the experience of living outside the bubble and the people I met, the new sources of information that became available, etc. that made the difference. I am pretty sure I would have escaped the bubble earlier had I had access to information in the way young adults do now and I am proud that so many of them are doing it.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Definitely heard stories like the two of yours before. I grew up in a liberal, secular household. My father had to toe the political line & not show much of his liberalism as he worked his entire career in the defense industry, but he always let his hair down when he came home after work & scream his lungs out at the TV while we had dinner as we would always watch Crossfire & Buchanan & Novak earned the enmity of my father. He had two stated goals for me - play a professional sport & never become a conservative. Glad I was able to accomplish both.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Didn't know about it, but apparently dems also won the AG position in Arizona, only by 500 or so votes.

It will automatically go to a recount, but i doubt it will change the outcome, so that should be another position for democrats in Arizona, have to wait for the recount to say for sure though.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The self owning by these Qrazys is bonkers. If these votes are not certified (they will be eventually) it would mean the GOP House win would flip to a Dem and the State School Admin (or whatever the post is called) would also flip to a dem. No Dem will be hurt by this verrry Trumpy county doing this.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
The self owning by these Qrazys is bonkers. If these votes are not certified (they will be eventually) it would mean the GOP House win would flip to a Dem and the State School Admin (or whatever the post is called) would also flip to a dem. No Dem will be hurt by this verrry Trumpy county doing this.

Marc Elias must be happy about all these nuts generating lawsuits he can win with 12 minutes of work.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry

THE END
We gotta talk about the hair of the woman on the right of turtle. Is that a wig? Is she part of an SnL skit? Blowing my mind.

Also, your party literally elected said person to be president. So erm, there's that!

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
We gotta talk about the hair of the woman on the right of turtle. Is that a wig? Is she part of an SnL skit? Blowing my mind.

Also, your party literally elected said person to be president. So erm, there's that!
at this point its hard to tell the difference between the GOP and an SNL skit.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Damn, just got into line to vote in the runoff & there's 20 times the amount of people standing here than my last time (five people then v. over a hundred now) most standing exposed through heavy rain for the past hour or so. Great to see the passion to vote.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Damn, just got into line to vote in the runoff & there's 20 times the amount of people standing here than my last time (five people then v. over a hundred now) most standing exposed through heavy rain for the past hour or so. Great to see the passion to vote.
Hard to wrap my head around what a huge endeavor itnis to vote in the land of the free. I usually vote on my way home from work since I drive past about 10 voting stations all of whom I can pop into for about 5 minutes to vote and feck off.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Hard to wrap my head around what a huge endeavor itnis to vote in the land of the free. I usually vote on my way home from work since I drive past about 10 voting stations all of whom I can pop into for about 5 minutes to vote and feck off.
I have lived in (mostly white) suburbs/rural areas my whole life and this (your description) has always been my experience. The waiting is a feature, not a bug, in many states.