2022 US Elections

nimic

something nice
Scout
Hard to wrap my head around what a huge endeavor itnis to vote in the land of the free. I usually vote on my way home from work since I drive past about 10 voting stations all of whom I can pop into for about 5 minutes to vote and feck off.
I usually just vote at the school I work at, during one of the several days before election day when they open a polling station in a classroom for students and teachers (and I guess anyone else who wants to vote?). It's a two minute process.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I have lived in (mostly white) suburbs/rural areas my whole life and this (your description) has always been my experience. The waiting is a feature, not a bug, in many states.
Yeah, it's to prevent the "wrong" people from voting, I know. Just such a sad phenomenon.

frostbite

Damn, just got into line to vote in the runoff & there's 20 times the amount of people standing here than my last time (five people then v. over a hundred now) most standing exposed through heavy rain for the past hour or so. Great to see the passion to vote.
Do you have runoff elections in Florida?

In California, we get an envelope at home, one month before the election day. Couldn't be easier! I don't know why the other States have not adopted this. If the majority of voters want it, they can support a proposition and adopt a system similar to California's, can't they?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

In California, we get an envelope at home, one month before the election day. Couldn't be easier! I don't know why the other States have not adopted this. If the majority of voters want it, they can support a proposition and adopt a system similar to California's, can't they?
He's in GA now the lazy git.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Ah, sorry. So does he always move where he is needed? (joke!)

Anyway, he is the lazy git, he should change his "Location" tag!
Cal is always where we need him to set penises on fire
when we need him to set penises on fire

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

The answer to your Florida question is 'no.'

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Looks to be happening…

No, no, no. This is not good. Every single vote should be counted and should count. If I reframed this, with people knowing no specifics, as: Two people have chosen to invalidate 50K+ people would anyone want that?

sport2793

No, no, no. This is not good. Every single vote should be counted and should count. If I reframed this, with people knowing no specifics, as: Two people have chosen to invalidate 50K+ people would anyone want that?
Ya this is really bad and am glad Katie Hobbs is suing this county to get those votes counted.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Wait so if an area just refuses to certify the votes that came through they won't count to the overall vote. That is just baffling if allowed to happen. Wouldn't be long before republicans just start not sending in batches of votes that don't suit them.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Wait so if an area just refuses to certify the votes that came through they won't count to the overall vote. That is just baffling if allowed to happen. Wouldn't be long before republicans just start not sending in batches of votes that don't suit them.
No, this is illegal and they will lose. Your scenario is exactly why it should even be pondered for a second by Dems to let Cochise County do this.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
The US does some things well, other things not so well like many countries, but what i cannot understand is the vehement opposition to paid sick leave in the US.

This time,railroad workers wanted it, but it was shut down, first by the corporations and then by congress.

I guess guaranteed paid sick leave will never be a thing over there.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
And then you have right wing pundits wondering why the GOP nutters are getting trashed in court by Marc Elias and his team...

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
I know it wasn't a bad election by dems by any means, but honestly, even if Georgia goes for Warnock, which it probably will, i can't help but feel they blew it in the senate.

Yes, i knew "experts" predicted GOP to actually retake the senate, but i never believed in a red wave to begin with, so 51 is a bit underwhelming, they should have flipped one of Ohio, NC or WI imo, and the reason for that is the senate map in 2024 is God-awful.

Kinda feels like Manchins time is up, so they have to keep every other seat in some very tough races.

The United

I know it wasn't a bad election by dems by any means, but honestly, even if Georgia goes for Warnock, which it probably will, i can't help but feel they blew it in the senate.

Yes, i knew "experts" predicted GOP to actually retake the senate, but i never believed in a red wave to begin with, so 51 is a bit underwhelming, they should have flipped one of Ohio, NC or WI imo, and the reason for that is the senate map in 2024 is God-awful.

Kinda feels like Manchins time is up, so they have to keep every other seat in some very tough races.
They kind of blew it in the house, for sure.

For the Senate, I was hoping that Wisconsin would have flipped, as you mentioned, because the 2024 map looked pretty bad. But having 51 in the senate would give Manchin a bit of space to maneuver with his reelection in 24.

Also, the economics can be (a lot) better in two years. And the GOP civil war would be interesting. So, there may be a few factors that favor the Democrats in 2024.