2024 U.S. Elections

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
There would be no ceasefire either way since the only thing that can trigger an immediate ceasefire is Hamas returning Israeli hostages (in exchange for Palestinian prisoners).
The US was the only veto in the security council. Why would the UN not intervene to prevent genocide if it had the mandate to do so without the american veto?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The US was the only veto in the security council. Why would the UN not intervene to prevent genocide if it had the mandate to do so without the american veto?
The UN have already surmised its not genocide, so likely nothing at all. They have ostensibly told Isreal "please don't commit genocide in the future".

Also, the UN is generally powerless to do anything since it is not a world government with enforceable mechanisms in the absence of security council members all agreeing to take action.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
You basically ignored everything I said.
It’s the most important election ever! Everyone has to vote for Biden! Fascism is one election away! But……also remember President Biden isn’t responsible for anything bad and hasn’t really got any power. Now go out and vote!

Tbh it’s pure democratic brain rot. It’s arguing that Biden isn’t getting enough credit for the “good” economy and then arguing he isn’t in any position of power to stop a genocide the United States is funding.

Also it’s been mentioned on the forum before but democrats love to talk about voting for the lesser of two evils without never accepting the side they are voting for is in fact also evil. When it’s a Democratic president everything suddenly becomes “complex”.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Israel would prioritize their current genocidal war over their own safety in regards to iran? I somehow doubt it. More likely israel would back down.
That's what you call it, they don't consider it that way at all, they see it, rightly or wrongly, as a fight for survival, and as far as I can tell Israel never backs down on this stuff.

Without US support they don't have a defense against Iran except fort he one weapon nobody wants them to use, if push comes to shove I have no doubt they'd use it

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
The UN have already surmised its not genocide, so likely nothing at all. They have ostensibly told Isreal "please don't commit genocide in the future".

Also, the UN is generally powerless to do anything since it is not a world government with enforceable mechanisms in the absence of security council members all agreeing to take action.
I knew you'd go for semantics so I purposefully used the word prevent.

The UN would be powerless in this case, because as I said, it's part of american ideology to be fanatically pro-israel.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
That's what you call it, they don't consider it that way at all, they see it, rightly or wrongly, as a fight for survival, and as far as I can tell Israel never backs down on this stuff.

Without US support they don't have a defense against Iran except fort he one weapon nobody wants them to use, if push comes to shove I have no doubt they'd use it
China doesn't call what they do genocide either, nor do the birmanese. So yeah, generally those committing genocide tend to call it something else.

Again, they would have to chose: american support to protect themselves against a very hypothetical attack by iran or killing civilians and starving an entire population to death? They would choose and then live with their choice.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I knew you'd go for semantics so I purposefully used the word prevent.

The UN would be powerless in this case, because as I said, it's part of american ideology to be fanatically pro-israel.
The ICJ also declined to call for a ceasefire. Hows that for semantics ?

The UN has nothing to do with US policy. Its simply an impotent body because its set up to cater to the interests of larger member states through the security council. Smaller nations have fewer rights in the international system, which is something to consider when one thinks the UN will bail them out in the absence of actual bilateral negations.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
The ICJ also declined to call for a ceasefire. Hows that for semantics ?

The UN has nothing to do with US policy. Its simply an impotent body because its set up to cater to the interests of larger member states through the security council. Smaller nations have fewer rights in the international system, which is something to consider when one thinks the UN will bail them out in the absence of actual bilateral negations.
I mentioned the UN, not the ICJ.

Right, if the US wanted to support a resolution approved by the security council, not opposed by russia or china, they would be unable to do anything. That must be it.

The minds of american foreign policy supporters must be more twisted than a pretzel at this point.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I mentioned the UN, not the ICJ.

Right, if the US wanted to support a resolution approved by the security council, not opposed by russia or china, they would be unable to do anything. That must be it.

The minds of american foreign policy supporters must be more twisted than a pretzel at this point.
Neither would work. The US and Israel are allies and the US aren't going to suddenly reverse course because Hamas thought it wise to attack the Israelis last October. The only way out of this is for Hamas to give up the hostages, which will result in the Israelis reciprocating in a ceasefire. That's the only way out of this. The only players are the same ones they've always been - Israel, Hamas, the US, Qatar, and Egypt.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Neither would work. The US and Israel are allies and the US aren't going to suddenly reverse course because Hamas thought it wise to attack the Israelis last October. The only way out of this is for Hamas to give up the hostages, which will result in the Israelis reciprocating in a ceasefire. That's the only way out of this. The only players are the same ones they've always been - Israel, Hamas, the US, Qatar, and Egypt.
I know that neither would work (that was never my argument) because being a vocal supporter of israel is part of the current american ideology. It's in the fundamentals of all parties in government, part of the platform of all national elected senators and congresspeople except for 2 or 3 people. I honestly don't know what you're trying to argue anymore.

The US could help prevent this genocide from happening and they're choosing not to. The mechanisms and money to do it are there, so it's not an economical issue or a political "my hands are tied" issue, it's a deliberate choice.

Mike Smalling

Thought this interview provided a good perspective on Biden's chances in November, and why his side is confident about reelection. Obviously, it is coming from his campaign, but it's still fairly balanced and to the point.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Thought this interview provided a good perspective on Biden's chances in November, and why his side is confident about reelection. Obviously, it is coming from his campaign, but it's still fairly balanced and to the point.
Pakman is one of the better podcasters in that space. Needs to probably move up in the world and do more network appearances.

Suedesi

Pffft who cares about European politicians anyway. Its all the same uppity folk who probably drink their wine in a glass instead of a proper solo cup.
They probably even use water to wipe their arse, but what's that got to do with anything

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I'm already seeing a lot of Schiff ads already so no surprise he's in the lead. Garvey may do better than most Republicans due to his status in LA and SD.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'm already seeing a lot of Schiff ads already so no surprise he's in the lead. Garvey may do better than most Republicans due to his status in LA and SD.
I had to do a double take when I saw the name. Watched him play as a young baseball fan in the 80s and always remembered him being a SoCal style Republican back in the day. Surprised its taken him this long to run for office tbh.

Hamnat

I see no point in a Biden/Trump debate. It won't move the needle at all for either side. Trumps **** wont suddenly say oh hey the guy we have been paying all his legal fees for years kinda IS a fraud and loser. And those inclined to vote Biden will not suddenly say oh you know that Trump guy really is orange and charismatic.

If I was Biden I would just not do it. Just say that Orange fraud is not worth giving the airwaves to spout the same nonsense and lies, and fraud he's been yelping about for years.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I see no point in a Biden/Trump debate. It won't move the needle at all for either side. Trumps **** wont suddenly say oh hey the guy we have been paying all his legal fees for years kinda IS a fraud and loser. And those inclined to vote Biden will not suddenly say oh you know that Trump guy really is orange and charismatic.

If I was Biden I would just not do it. Just say that Orange fraud is not worth giving the airwaves to spout the same nonsense and lies, and fraud he's been yelping about for years.
Trump probably wont want to debate again either since Biden generally outperformed him last time and it won't move the numbers in any meaningful way.

Hamnat

And more importantly you cannot reason with someone who doesn't accept reality. You are just giving him more primetime platform to lie and perform.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
Hopefully we have at least one debate. Firstly we will get to see how powerful modern medicine is. Both candidates will have to be pumped to the eyeballs with super drugs just to appear “normal”. And if the drugs don’t work then we get to see two insane old boomers arguing about who jacked off to grace kelly more.

A fitting end to the America Empire.

Last edited:

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Hopefully we have at least one debate. Firstly we will get to see how powerful modern medicine is. Both candidates will have to be pumped to the eyeballs with super drugs just to appear “normal”. And if the drugs don’t work then we get to see two insane old boomers arguing about how who jacked off to grace kelly more.

A fitting end to the America Empire.
:lol: and also: :(

4bars

Supports
Barcelona

The debate will happen or the other will accuse the other of chicken out. And you know, they have to show their alphamale image to the voters. In my opinion, Biden has more to lose, because Trump lost most of the sane independents already and as you said, the MAGAs will not change. In the other hand Biden might alienate the independents that HE NEEDS to win if he has a demented performance as of late. These independents will not change to trump but simply might not vote at all

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
The debate between the two of them will be hilarious. And i'm not even that big into politics.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It's like having Stallone and Schwarzenegger doing an exhibition boxing match.

Mike Smalling

Pakman is one of the better podcasters in that space. Needs to probably move up in the world and do more network appearances.
He's probably the most grounded of the ones I occasionally watch, but he can also come across as a bit mechanical and stiff, which I think probably loses him some viewers. On the other hand, since he doesn't really set out to offend anyone, he is able to book interviews with people from across the aisle, which is usually interesting.