3-5-2 formation this season for United?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Great great post. It's exactly what I feel about the 352 and how it was ditched the minutes Varane got injured.
Things are just done randomly without serious process behind it. You don't see many top teams changing their formation just like that
Remember when Moyes played a 3 man midfield against City and we all drooled about it. In reality he just changed the formation and we still got rubbed 3-0.

All he did was adding Fellaini in a midfield role without actually telling how to approach the game after changing the formation.

100% true. It's supposed to be complicated. Managers should try to outwit each other to win a football match.
I think there is an argument for massive overcomplicating things, and I'm sure some manager do to their teams detriment, but the main point is bang on, it's supposed to be about the details at this level.

Lee565

You playing a high press man city side and you have the likes of van der beek, sancho and lingard on the bench who the ability to work within tight spaces

Red5

532 abandoned again, after another total failure.

PoTMS

He has absolutely no idea how to play any of these formations.

Lee565

It was not 352 or 532 formation, it was "i have to save my own skin" formation by ole

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
It was.more 541 today.

We've played it twice since, didn't work, had to revert back to 4231 in both to avoid humiliation.

Idxomer

I also love how Sancho comes on to play on the left and then 20 minutes later switches to the right, so Rashford could play on the left.

I mean seriously, what's the point?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
It was.more 541 today.

We've played it twice since, didn't work, had to revert back to 4231 in both to avoid humiliation.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Regardless of what formation we play it will be ruined by our terrible midifielders and full backs.

JPB

7 defenders 3 attackers. The United way?

OverratedOpinion

The fact that Ole didn't immediately realise that this only worked due to Spurs being crap and having Varane back is one thing, the fact that he did not realize that after Atalanta is embarrassing.

Also if we are playing this then we need wing backs, we have 2 players who could do that in Dalot and Telles, he plays the only 2 other fullbacks we have.

Teja

This is just Jose style park the bus.

CBs not stepping out into midfield, still no idea how to press, no counter attack beyond Bruno -> Rashford, no out ball, no build up play from the back .. nothing. The formation matters feckall if they can't do basic coaching.

Haven't really seen a tactic beyond asking Greenwood to man mark Rodri all game.

All they needed to do was to have Bernardo overload the LW with Cancelo + Foden. Bruno would run half heartedly and still be 2v3. Lindelof doesn't go out wide and prefers to stay in his comfort zone. Game over.