3-5-2 formation this season for United?

Those thinking a simple formation change or a single DM were the answer to all of our problems need their heads checking.

3 years and we don't know what to do when pressed, can't press ourselves and look amateurish for large parts of matches against any well drilled side. At this point, to defend our management team you're basically saying "management means nothing, could stick Gordon the Gopher at United or Liverpool and it'd make no difference".

Thank feck we've got some wonderful footballers though, and one of the best to ever grace the game.

Last edited:

KeanoMagicHat

Shouldn’t have dropped it so early. Just ended up in the same 4231 that got us into this mess in the first place.

Got a goal out of a moment of brilliance but the general shape is diabolical again in this second half.

Ole lacked the conviction to commit to it. Just weak management.

PoTMS

He's just reverted to 3-5-2 because that's what a manager is meant to do when he's under pressure. He has no clue how to actually play this formation.

Abraxas

It wasn't looking so hot tonight when we did have it.

I think it comes back to what many thought - it's not necessarily a long term solution unless we have the right players and drill for it. Same as any formation really.

It has its own weaknesses. Against a similar setup you could see they had more experience in it. Also it can make us quite predictable with not much going on out wide.

I'm okay with seeing it but I really do think it depends on the opposition.

cyberman

Not really a fair night to judge when Pogba puts in the worst midfield performance I have ever seen.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
————————————DDG—————————————
————Bailly————Varane————Lindelof————
AWB———McT———-Bruno———Donny———Shaw
————————Ronaldo——Cavani—————————

Last edited:

abkmufc92

Shaw and AWB are useless going forward, what's the point in having Telles and Dalot if you your not going to use them in a formation that suits them.

Skills

Snitch
I think we need another defender in there

De Gea
AWB -- Bailly -- Lindelof -- Varane -- Maguire -- Shaw
--------------------Fred -- McTominay
------------------------Bruno
--------------------- Ronaldo

Thiagoal

I think a big difference tonight was that Pogba was flouncing around in front of the three and repeatedly giving the ball away. I’d personally stick with it- maybe put Shaw with Bailly and Maguire and have Telles on the left. I’d also give DVB a go with Fred

Borys

Statistics Wizard
We can't defend as a team. Constantly leaving space, dropping too deep, no organized pressing. Changing formations is not going to solve that.

We've been outplayed by feckin Atalanta.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
So he's tried his best Conte impression, who's he going to emulate next? Moyeseh? Giggseh?
Well Sir Matt's 4-2-4 formation has failed an so did Conte's 3-5-2 formation. There's we're left with SAF's 4-4-2 formation

AndyMUFC86

Not really a fair night to judge when Pogba puts in the worst midfield performance I have ever seen.
Agreed. He was dreadful tonight. Pogba just can’t play in a midfield 2 IMO. He needs freedom further up the pitch to see the best of him.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Not sure why anyone expected that to work against anyone other than Tottenham.

It only worked against them because they didn't actually try to do anything.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
He's just reverted to 3-5-2 because that's what a manager is meant to do when he's under pressure. He has no clue how to actually play this formation.
To be honest at this moment it looks like he has no clue to play any formation

Last edited:

ti vu

With the obsession of more defenders, lack of real wingers, and a functional midfield, it's only the matter time we see this variety of 4-4-2.

:drool:
Well Sir Matt's 4-2-4 formation has failed an so did Conte's 3-5-2 formation. There's we're left with SAF's 4-4-2 formation

SAFMUTD

It's not a system problem is a coaching problem, no set up will work until the players are properly coached on how to execute it.

Some here talk about turning to 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 as if doing that alone would improve us somehow.

Until we get a proper manager we will keep seeing the same shitty performances with an odd result here and there, the same rollercoaster performances we've seen for the last 3 years no matter what's the formation.

NoPace

It''s also in fashion, can't forget that

Hoof the ball

I suppose the most troubling thing about this recent system change is what it says about Ole and the coaching staff.

From their perspective what United needed was a change of formation. The 4-2-3-1 wasn't working, therefore, it must be the formation that's the issue. This is the kind of surface level self-analysis that tries to treat the symptom rather than the cause.

At no point of the course of self-examination have the coaching team internalised their criticism. On the contrary, Ole has doubled-up on the compliments to his coaching staff on the back of a few years of these kind of performances. Instead of determining why these group of elite players are unable to make a 4-2-3-1 look anywhere near fluid from a coaching and tactical perspective, they've run with the notion that the coaching has been exceptional.

So now what? Ole has purchased players with a 4-2-3-1 in mind, and one at 70m, and with relatively few minutes played on the field he's gone gung-ho into a system which further maligns the player he spent two summers chasing. So, rather than analyse the coaching performance of the staff and evaluate how to fix the 4-2-3-1 issues in order to accommodate the vast array of offensive talent in the squad, he's flipped to a system which guarantees that Rashford and Mason (not to mention Sancho) get fewer minutes in favour of the very short-term solution of accommodating Cavani and Ronaldo, which in all likelihood will only last until the end of the season.

You get the feeling that Ole is looking at Tuchel post-Lampard and saying, "That change worked", without realising that Tuchel know how to make that work in the defensive transition to stop counters, how to make that work in the offensive transition to generate numerical advantage on the break, how to make that work in terms of player movement on and off the ball in different phases of the field to create space, overloads, passing angles and all manner of tactical buzzwords. Tuchel puts in the hard work, the hard detailed thinking that makes a system like that function fluidly, and he's able to communicate that effectively and clearly. Ole, by comparison, as heard in his interviews, bemoans the concept of overcomplicating football, as if coaching in fine detail is some exercise in futility. I feel as long as Ole has this reductionist view of the game at the elite level, he'll accept lower standards not only for himself, but for his staff.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Yeah brilliant plan then. Let's suffer our talented young players because our Coaching staff don't know how to use them and the most important thing is to keep Ole in his Job because he scored that goal over 2 decades ago.

Anyway, I refuse to believe that it's Ole's plan to play that defensive the majority of the games. At the latest when we start to drop points he would be under a lot of pressure to play an more attacking formation again and to use his attacking players.
But then again, he could easily start to implement a more offensive 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 style of play if he was a good coach. He could then rotate his options and keep them happy.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure he has it in him.
The problem is who do you rotate?

Ronaldo isn’t going to get rotated. whatever you think of Ronaldo and Ole, the level of drama and disruption if you leave out Ronaldo is Crazy.

So there is is basically 1 attacking place to get rotated, between Cavani, Greenwood Rashford and Martial. And there isn’t even a position for Sancho in 5212 or352 what ever you want to call it.

If you go 343 yeah you can get in more attackers but you will have no creativity as neither Pogba (as we saw clearly again last night) or Bruno can play there, so you have a mixture of Mcfred with the odd bit off Matic.

And there isn’t really much depth in defence to rotate.

Problem is we have far to many attackers that don’t fit togther very well. And the midfield and defence isn’t good enough to compensate. And we have average manger whose tactical knowledge and work in the trading ground isn’t good enough to compensate.

MileStolar

Question, what was the last great great team that played 3 at the back and dominated?
Last 10+ years we've seen the best teams playing back 4, apart from a few title wins in Italy and Conte's Chelsea all domestic wins in Spain and England and i think ali European titles in past 10 years have been with a back 4.

That personally for me causes a feeling of mistrust towards that style of setting up and I don't want a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 coach to manage us...

Swiss_Red89

Question, what was the last great great team that played 3 at the back and dominated?
Last 10+ years we've seen the best teams playing back 4, apart from a few title wins in Italy and Conte's Chelsea all domestic wins in Spain and England and i think ali European titles in past 10 years have been with a back 4.

That personally for me causes a feeling of mistrust towards that style of setting up and I don't want a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 coach to manage us...
Chelsea won the CL while playing a 3-4-3 this year tbf.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The Atalanta game wasn’t even 352/3412, it was 343 but when we were defending it switched to 541. Terrible coaching imo because both Rashford and Bruno looked very lost in that 343/541 set up.

Red5

The Atalanta game wasn’t even 352/3412, it was 343 but when we were defending it switched to 541. Terrible coaching imo because both Rashford and Bruno looked very lost in that 343/541 set up.
It was sort of a lopsided 2, with Rashford left and Ronaldo central. Bruno played ACM.

Before the enforced substitution, we effectively had no right side of attack, which has been our biggest problem for years. I thought the Sancho signing was finally going to address this, but evidently we signed him as third or fourth choice LW and not as first choice RW.

OhGee

I suppose the most troubling thing about this recent system change is what it says about Ole and the coaching staff.

From their perspective what United needed was a change of formation. The 4-2-3-1 wasn't working, therefore, it must be the formation that's the issue. This is the kind of surface level self-analysis that tries to treat the symptom rather than the cause.

At no point of the course of self-examination have the coaching team internalised their criticism. On the contrary, Ole has doubled-up on the compliments to his coaching staff on the back of a few years of these kind of performances. Instead of determining why these group of elite players are unable to make a 4-2-3-1 look anywhere near fluid from a coaching and tactical perspective, they've run with the notion that the coaching has been exceptional.

So now what? Ole has purchased players with a 4-2-3-1 in mind, and one at 70m, and with relatively few minutes played on the field he's gone gung-ho into a system which further maligns the player he spent two summers chasing. So, rather than analyse the coaching performance of the staff and evaluate how to fix the 4-2-3-1 issues in order to accommodate the vast array of offensive talent in the squad, he's flipped to a system which guarantees that Rashford and Mason (not to mention Sancho) get fewer minutes in favour of the very short-term solution of accommodating Cavani and Ronaldo, which in all likelihood will only last until the end of the season.

You get the feeling that Ole is looking at Tuchel post-Lampard and saying, "That change worked", without realising that Tuchel know how to make that work in the defensive transition to stop counters, how to make that work in the offensive transition to generate numerical advantage on the break, how to make that work in terms of player movement on and off the ball in different phases of the field to create space, overloads, passing angles and all manner of tactical buzzwords. Tuchel puts in the hard work, the hard detailed thinking that makes a system like that function fluidly, and he's able to communicate that effectively and clearly. Ole, by comparison, as heard in his interviews, bemoans the concept of overcomplicating football, as if coaching in fine detail is some exercise in futility. I feel as long as Ole has this reductionist view of the game at the elite level, he'll accept lower standards not only for himself, but for his staff.
It’s like an alcoholic mate, for it to change he needs to start with “Hi I’m Ole and my staff and I are seriously useless at coaching. Furthermore we like to persist with crap performing players like Maguire, Mctominay and Fred and marginalize other”

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Those thinking a simple formation change or a single DM were the answer to all of our problems need their heads checking.

3 years and we don't know what to do when pressed, can't press ourselves and look amateurish for large parts of matches against any well drilled side. At this point, to defend our management team you're basically saying "management means nothing, could stick Gordon the Gopher at United or Liverpool and it'd make no difference".

Thank feck we've got some wonderful footballers though, and one of the best to ever grace the game.
That’s the one for me. When we signed Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo and still got played off the pitch by Wolves…..that was the minute all hope faded.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

Excellent post. Well said.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Great great post. It's exactly what I feel about the 352 and how it was ditched the minutes Varane got injured.
Things are just done randomly without serious process behind it. You don't see many top teams changing their formation just like that

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Great great post. It's exactly what I feel about the 352 and how it was ditched the minutes Varane got injured.
Things are just done randomly without serious process behind it. You don't see many top teams changing their formation just like that
I've yet to see another manager ditching not 1 but 2 biggest summer signing weeks after the club had signed them. It simply doesn't happen.

This is your first great post.:p

Seriously though, that’s one more than me at least ;) it’s an excellent post and really does highlight the issues with a manager that thinks a single player or formation is the solution.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I remember when we played the diamond against Psg and we beat them then I think the next week we tried it again against Arsenal and got outplayed and lost. Never saw the diamond since then.

captaincantona

Regardless of formation, I’m not sure I have ever seen a supposed top team with so many defensive minded players be so easily played through...even with a back four and McFred...we look so clueless.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I remember when we played the diamond against Psg and we beat them then I think the next week we tried it again against Arsenal and got outplayed and lost. Never saw the diamond since then.
We were excellent against PSG, didn’t we start with 3 at the back and then switch to the diamond and then dominate? Probably one of Ole’s best games as manager.

cyberman

To be fair we destroyed Arsenal but missed chance after chance after chance.