3-5-2 formation this season for United?

lex talionis

This can work effectively against top clubs, but I hope don’t see this against the likes of Watford.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So Bruno and Sancho can't play together? Rashford is half decent in a front 2. Martial and Greenwood also. But the Sancho outlay seems a little daft if we don't have a system to fit him into.
It'd be either Bruno or Sancho in any 3-4-3 system IMO. Basically if Ole is smart, he'll rotate 3 out of Bruno, Ronaldo, Cavani, Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho. 2 of those are creators, 4 of them are "forwards". Can be done well to keep everyone engaged and fresh, or can get done poorly where we overplay Bruno/Ronaldo and underlay Sancho/someone else.

Sancho as a signing made a lot of sense IMO. Ole clearly has no idea how to fit him in though.

bosnian_red

Maybe true but they'll have to get used to being on the bench a bit more since there is one less attacking spot. The biggest issue is Sancho really. I don't see him at his best in midfield or as a second striker. But tough, he can't say he hasn't been given chances on the wing.
Hes definitely more suitable to the front 3 in a 3-4-3 than he was on the wing in a 4-2-3-1 IMO. He's the creative guy in the front 3, but today that was Bruno. Up to Ole to manage them effectively.
But yeah obviously more bench time. Only 3 attackers can fit in here, and at best we get Pogba to add to those as one of the 2 midfielders. It's the only way it works anyway so I'm not too concerned about that. Suits them all better.

The Plump Poet

Supports
Southend United
This can work effectively against top clubs, but I hope don’t see this against the likes of Watford.
Why not? Atalanta have played with a back 3/5 for years under Gasparini, and if there's one thing they do, it's score. A shitload. Every damn season.

Reactions: roonster09

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
The quality of play isn't due to the formation but the instructions, Gasperini uses 3412/343 and no one can say that his teams play tumescent football. Now the question is whether Ole will use inside forwards and give a proper chance to the likes of Sancho and Rashford with either Cavani or Ronaldo, if he doesn't then he has to win big trophies because his 70 years old striking force isn't the near future of United and he could mess things up long term.
Yep, just going by Ole's use of it. And agree the Ronaldo - Cavani partnership isn't sustainable.

largelyworried

Ole already mentioned Sancho as an option in this system post match. I think he can play as support to Ronaldo as Cavani did today.
Honestly, there’s no point in listening to Ole talk about using his squad at this point, means nothing. He’ll talk up players then just never use them.

MalaysianRed7

Chelsea wins games routinely against teams like Watford with 3-4-3/3-5-2. It’s about how you implement the formation, not the formation itself. When we do play Watford in 3 weeks time, just push Shaw and AWB higher - take more risks.

spiriticon

Hes definitely more suitable to the front 3 in a 3-4-3 than he was on the wing in a 4-2-3-1 IMO. He's the creative guy in the front 3, but today that was Bruno. Up to Ole to manage them effectively.
I'm not sure we're playing a 3-4-3. I see it as a 5-2-1-2 in defence transitioning to a 3-4-1-2 in attack. I think the width comes from the wingbacks rather than the front 3. I think Sancho will be expected to play narrow rather than be allowed to drift to much out wide.

Who knows. As you said, up to Ole to manage them. As long as we win.

Skills

Snitch
Chelsea wins games routinely against teams like Watford with 3-4-3/3-5-2. It’s about how you implement the formation, not the formation itself. When we do play Watford in 3 weeks time, just push Shaw and AWB higher - take more risks.
Tuchel manages to get a ridiculous amount of production from his full backs though. Alonso & Chillwell are extremely potent going forward and so is James on the other side.

vlad93

Three arguments for this formation: Ronny and cavani ran riot with the spurs defence.
Bruno Fernandez has acres of space to play. AWB is not a wing back.
I'm mind boggled why Lingard is brought on over Sancho. Sancho has more talent and needs game time. For now this formation worked because the three at the back are the best defenders.

Highfather_24

I said before the 3 at the back doesnt suit our team. I've given it more thought throughtout this week, and after seeing it in action today, I have to say 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 gives our team the best balance. That way our team doesnt get hit on counters, and this hides the deficiency of our midfield, as well as suits our forwards more than a 4-2-3-1. We need to lose a few players as they are bloat(Martial, Mata, VdB, Dalot, Jones and Lingard) and need to get a proper right wing back and CM in. Then this team is golden.

-------------------DDG
--Lindelof--Varane--Maguire
RWB--Brozovic--Fred--Shaw
------------------Bruno
-----------Cavani--Ronaldo

-----------------Heaton
--------Scott--Bailly--Tuanzebe
AWB---Pogba--Matic--Telles
---Sancho--Mason--Rashford

El Jefe

Everyone saying yes will hate this formation after a while, especially after home games. Its good to use in certain games but that's it.

Sviken

Tuchel manages to get a ridiculous amount of production from his full backs though. Alonso & Chillwell are extremely potent going forward and so is James on the other side.
Mate, Conte turned Victor Moses into a world class title winning wing-back. If he can do that with him, he can definitely do something with our players.

wormdoktor

Biggest issue with this system could be keeping CBs fit given lack of quality rotation options in that spot - at some stage, Bailly will have to come in, maybe Shaw too I guess? Tuanzebe loan recall?

Skills

Snitch
Mate, Conte turned Victor Moses into a world class title winning wing-back. If he can do that with him, he can definitely do something with our players.
Oh yeah, I'm sure Conte would be able to do it. Though I think he'd fancy Telles who actually does have a good delivery, and Shaw would play the Azpi role.

Solskjaer though... The less said the better at this point.

lex talionis

I like your thinking but over the course of a season we’ll have to adapt to circumstances that may require us going with a back four. In your scenario of AWB pushing higher up against Watford why not instead drop Lindelof and add a proper attacking player? We can’t go an entire season not giving chances to Sancho and Greenwood even against bottom feeder clubs.

MalaysianRed7

Have to agree with you there, although Shaw can be very good going forward with his crossing and overlapping. AWB is undoubtedly not good enough in that area though. I’d be inclined to use one of Sancho or Lingard at RWB in said Watford game to be honest, which I didn’t mention in my previous post.

The White Pele

We had to change shape so I’m glad he went with something different.

I remain a bit unconvinced that this is the answer. We were much more difficult to play against in midfield and won the ball in central areas a lot more often in the first half. However in the second half we retreated and became too easy to play around and just invited pressure.

Also, it’s asking a lot of AWB and Shaw to play in this system.

I think I would like to see us evolve this and eventually return to a back 4 with one of the CBs dropping out for a holding mid (Matic or McT) but keeping 2 box to box midfield roles with Bruno in the hole behind 2 forwards.

We have far too many options for those 2 forward roles.

Carolina Red

Staff
Everyone saying yes will hate this formation after a while, especially after home games. Its good to use in certain games but that's it.
A formation =/= a system of play

Any formation can be hated if the person implementing the system doesn’t use it correctly

bosnian_red

I'm not sure we're playing a 3-4-3. I see it as a 5-2-1-2 in defence transitioning to a 3-4-1-2 in attack. I think the width comes from the wingbacks rather than the front 3. I think Sancho will be expected to play narrow rather than be allowed to drift to much out wide.

Who knows. As you said, up to Ole to manage them. As long as we win.
Same shit really, 3-4-1-2 or 5-2-1-2. And I called it a 343 as essentially the "1-2" is a group of 3 and probably gets coached as a group of 3. Even looking at average positions, Bruno played far more on the right than as a 10 anyway, but it's half as an attacker and half as a midfielder anyway. So pretty much a right attacking mid. Even in a 3-4-3 the width comes from fullbacks, it's just that the front 3 play more narrow. Sancho did it often for Dortmund, would be fine IMO.

Skills

Snitch
I like your thinking but over the course of a season we’ll have to adapt to circumstances that may require us going with a back four. In your scenario of AWB pushing higher up against Watford why not instead drop Lindelof and add a proper attacking player? We can’t go an entire season not giving chances to Sancho and Greenwood even against bottom feeder clubs.
I think, one of the natural advantages of the 3/5 back formations is you always have 3.5 players back. Your 3 CBs plus a midfielder either screening them or watching the break. You naturally have numbers at the back.

With 4 at the back, you could have 2 full backs up to link up play leaving often 2 CBs + 1 Midfielder to screen the team. Which can leave you a bit short

spiriticon

Same shit really, 3-4-1-2 or 5-2-1-2. And I called it a 343 as essentially the "1-2" is a group of 3 and probably gets coached as a group of 3. Even looking at average positions, Bruno played far more on the right than as a 10 anyway, but it's half as an attacker and half as a midfielder anyway. So pretty much a right attacking mid. Even in a 3-4-3 the width comes from fullbacks, it's just that the front 3 play more narrow. Sancho did it often for Dortmund, would be fine IMO.
Yeah let's see. If Sancho plays and does the job well, then jackpot!

Highfather_24

Is there any place to see an average position chart? I'd be shocked if it didn't show as more of a 3-4-1-2 with Bruno the #10 clearly ahead of McTominay and Fred in midfield. I didn't see it as a traditional midfield 3 at all. Cavani's goal perfectly encapsulated what the formation was set out to do IMO.
We were playing 3-4-3 on the ball and 3-5-2 off it.

NZT-One

Mate, I guess at this point you realized that your interpretation of 3-4-3 for this specific game is pretty exclusive :)

By the way: if you download the sofa score app on your phone you can find average positioning. It is quite an interesting feature.

spiriticon

Good luck to ole managing Sancho/Greenwood playing time expectations.
Tough shit. It's time these young ones (and I will include Martial and Rashford in this group) adapted their game to the teams needs, rather than always needing the team to be set up to their strengths.

Skills

Snitch
Tough shit. It's time these young ones (and I will include Martial and Rashford in this group) adapted their game to the teams needs, rather than always needing the team to be set up to their strengths.
Just don't buy them then? Greenwood, Sancho, Rashford will have plenty of suitors in January or the summer. Get rid of them.

C'est Moi Cantona

It worked today, but it'll look very different depending who we are playing, or who is injured, but fair play today, the pressure was on the team delivered.

Roboc7

It’s a temporary solution that will be ditched eventually. Just surprised we didn’t play this way against Liverpool.

In fairness it did work very well today but this is the cycle under Ole, no plan just stumbling around for something that works until the next crisis.

spiriticon

Just don't buy them then?
Well, probably should have thought twice about it but too late now for Martial and Sancho.

They can adapt, or go the Donny way. We need better standards not just for the manager, but all round the club in general.

UpWithRivers

This has been Oles downfall. He has tried to transition to high press attacking football along the lines of Liverpool/City. Its hard to tell exactly cos its all over the place but that wer ehe has failed. He still has the reputation for beating big teams but that was the season before last when he sat back and countered. Last season he was sht to average against the big teams and this season he moved even more offensive. This is down to our history and playering attacking football with wingers. But it has failed spectacularly. We are at out best counterattacking. If we play with the team we had today we would be much closer to the top. But not in all games. We can mix it up. WE can play Pogba/Donny the the two sometimes - Maybe against Atalanta we can be same team with Pogba. Then the sht sit back teams we can revert to 4-2-3-1. Bring on Sancho and Pogba to break down the low block

Skills

Snitch
Well, probably should have thought twice about it but too late now for Martial and Sancho.

They can adapt, or go the Donny way. We need better standards not just for the manager, but all round the club in general.
100m down the drain then?

Why hoard them? City need a striker, greenwood would be an exciting addition to that team. I'm sure someone can make use of Sancho too.

We'll get the players more suited to us instead. No point hoarding players and then shitting on their value to the point nobody wants them.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

That makes no sense, the manager adapted the system to a bunch of players that got humiliated by Liverpool but you think that he shouldn't adapt his not functioning tactics to the players that are meant to be the future of this club?

Skills

Snitch
That makes no sense, the manager adapted the system to a bunch of players that got humiliated by Liverpool but you think that he shouldn't adapt his not functioning tactics to the players that are meant to be the future of this club?
But you see the manager is the club! We always must do what the manager needs.

TheGame

He will have to rotate the front 3 with Sancho, Greenwood and Rashford otherwise some players will not be playing. I would prefer McTomniay as a CB in this system like he does for Scotland. This will allow DVB to rotate with Pogba and Fred with Matic.

JG3001

It’s a temporary solution that will be ditched eventually. Just surprised we didn’t play this way against Liverpool.

In fairness it did work very well today but this is the cycle under Ole, no plan just stumbling around for something that works until the next crisis.
This is my take as well, you can’t really credit it to the manager when the reality is he’s been forced to play this team due to our recent performances.

Also why I can’t see VDB getting a proper game until he’s gone, if he plays well now, it only serves to undermine Ole’s position further, so he won’t play him with his job on the line.