3-5-2 formation this season for United?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If Ole is to stay then it's our best chance IMO. Use the Chelsea/Tuchel method of just rotating around your front 3 between 6 quality players, always making subs to change things up, and then the defence stays solid by nature of having more numbers and quality players.

Rotate the midfield 2 around between Mctom/Fred/Matic/Van de Beek or even try Pogba now that he has an extra CB behind.
Maybe, we'll see. For me, we don't have the wing backs for that. AWB and Shaw are nowhere near good enough creatively wise from the flanks.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Because at home, we are gonna be expected to control the game and create more. Spurs were woeful too
Aye. Not to say its not worth continuing with, but today shouldn't be used to judge it really given how bad Spurs are.

liamp

Really not sure you can judge anything playing this Spurs side, although I definitely think this setup is necessary against Atalanta and City.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Actually suits our personnel. Can’t think of a better formation for our 4 strikers, can play Pogba in midfield with the cover around him and have Varane patrol the back 3.
Yep. Never fitting them all in anyway. Rotate the front 3 between 6 quality big name attackers (not even looking at Lingard and Martial), chance at Pogba being better in midfield but there's less pressure on them anyway in this system so we aren't as dependent on them. Enough quality CBs to just make it work on their own IMO. Rotate AWB/Dalot and Shaw/Telles.

But it gets the best out of the attackers as they can focus more on the attack and less on dropping back, and they have freedom to roam. And then also we have the depth to always make subs and make it tough for tired defenders. It's 100% the right way to go with our squad, regardless of the coach.

Abraxas

It's a means to an end. Playing with this formation and dropping off does get you some compactness and ability to keep it tight. It's what we need for now.

But I don't think it suits every side we play. I think it's going to be a lot more difficult when we have to dictate the play and Ronaldo and Cavani don't really have the legs to stretch the opposition. Spurs were in a quandary today with how to play at home in their current predicament and left us a lot of space to counter from that deep block.

There are going to be times we need greater threat from wider areas. I think the difference between us and Chelsea is they have younger legs they can consistently rely upon up front with pace and power and better wing backs.

Siorac

We look more balanced now.

But what happens to rashford, sancho and pogba ?
Sancho seems to have moved into the Donny category, he'll probably barely play from now on. Sending on Lingard ahead of him was very telling.

kouroux

Aye. Not to say its not worth continuing with, but today shouldn't be used to judge it really given how bad Spurs are.
We created good chances today on the break but you are right Spurs were so poor.
When the game is right then yeah the formation could be used but more often than not, we'll be the better team on paper so that's where I'm concerned.

bosnian_red

Bingo.

It’s like some folks would rather we have every attacker on the team in the same lineup than actually win
Yeah. It's weird to read. The challenge has always been how do we balance this squad? The answer is a back 5 with wing backs. Pogba has a better chance of actually working in midfield in this case. We have 6 main attackers to rotate between (and 2 more that most are OK with leaving), whether we want a 3-4-3 or 3-4-1-2, and always keep freshness and quality on the pitch. There's less pressure on the midfield 2 as they have more numbers behind them.

The biggest thing is do we have the depth at CB? Lindelof, Varane and Maguire are very good for it, and if 1 gets injured we can play Bailly or Shaw back there so I think we're fine.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
In the long run, it isn't going to work as it doesn't suit the make-up of our squad, which is one of the question marks I have over Conte as an option as well given how often he favours this sort of formation.

It depends on our only three good CBs staying fit, AWB as a wing-back, our 36 + 34 year old strike force being able to play and excludes a swathe of our attacking talent, including Solskjaer's star signing. It's something you'd expect from a manager arriving into misshaped squad and making the best of it, not the end result of effective management and recruitment.

However, as a measure for the next three games it may well work. We were desperate to stem the tide of bad results and it did that, so no complaints.

bosnian_red

When the game is right then yeah the formation could be used but more often than not, we'll be the better team on paper so that's where I'm concerned.
You can make a 3-4-3 to be attacking. Look at Chelsea. It's the only chance Ole has with this squad.

cyberman

It's a means to an end. Playing with this formation and dropping off does get you some compactness and ability to keep it tight. It's what we need for now.

But I don't think it suits every side we play. I think it's going to be a lot more difficult when we have to dictate the play and Ronaldo and Cavani don't really have the legs to stretch the opposition. Spurs were in a quandary today with how to play at home in their current predicament and left us a lot of space to counter from that deep block.

There are going to be times we need greater threat from wider areas.
But we dictated play today? Our problem isn’t scoring goals it’s the defensive structure and if this helps solve that problem then why move away from it before we fully realise the potential of it all?
Look at City, they struggle against compact sides since they have to striker and are still open to pace up top. This formation suits that to the ground.
Just keep the goals out and our world class strike force will get their fair share

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Maybe, we'll see. For me, we don't have the wing backs for that. AWB and Shaw are nowhere near good enough creatively wise from the flanks.
Agreed. It will come short against good teams. Spurs are just awful.

Though I will a manager like Conte can pull this off much better..

I'm no longer completely against bringing in Conte, we could really push for the league. This squad is good enough to challenge imo

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Going to have to be 3 at the back I feel. Maybe he will revert for Atalanta, who knows.

If he persists with the 3 at the back, you have to wonder even more why we dont just get Conte in who does it best.

bosnian_red

They don't have to be creative, Shaw plenty fine for that role. We bought Sancho who excels in a front 3 like that, Rashford and Greenwood would both work better in a front 2/or a 3 group formation where they worry less about tracking back. Give them the instructions to overlap of course, but they're fine for it. Wan Bissaka was very good today without being creative, that's all he needs. Be in the right positions and good things will come from it.

sammyhol

In the long run, it isn't going to work as it doesn't suit the make-up of our squad, which is one of the question marks I have over Conte as an option as well given how often he favours this sort of formation.

It depends on our only three good CBs staying fit, AWB as a wing-back, our 36 + 34 year old strike force being able to play and excludes a swathe of our attacking talent, including Solskjaer's star signing. It's something you'd expect from a manager arriving into misshaped squad and making the best of it, not the end result of effective management and recruitment.

However, as a measure for the next three games it may well work. We were desperate to stem the tide of bad results and it did that, so no complaints.
disagree…

actually think it perfectly suits the squad.

can’t think of a single player who looks better in the 4231… maybe AWB. And Laird is tearing up trees at Swansea at RWB anyway, plus there is Dalot.

as for the young, wide attackers… none suit the lone 9 role… but all would potentially work in a 2.

and in certain games we could even go 343 and give Bruno a rest.

long live 3 at the back!!

::sonny::

This squad needs to play with a back 3/5

I hope that this tactic will be established definitely

You’ll never see playing Sancho and Donny again this season

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I suppose the only issue is the number of players you'd be leaving out every week, but there again it's not as if we've been smashing it with those players in the team. If it works, then continue with it. I like having two upfront, especially when those two are Ronaldo and Cavani

Abraxas

But we dictated play today? Our problem isn’t scoring goals it’s the defensive structure and if this helps solve that problem then why move away from it before we fully realise the potential of it all?
Look at City, they struggle against compact sides since they have to striker and are still open to pace up top. This formation suits that to the ground.
Just keep the goals out and our world class strike force will get their fair share
I don't think we did. I think we managed the game extremely well, we were compact.

But there is a difference between that and when it comes to a home game against average opposition and they will be looking to do exactly what we did. It's a different match, it's less about countering from deep and more about what we can produce ourselves with less space. Maybe we can rely on crosses more with the dual threat of Ronaldo and Cavani, that would be one option to combat this.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Going to have to be 3 at the back I feel. Maybe he will revert for Atalanta, who knows.

If he persists with the 3 at the back, you have to wonder even more why we dont just get Conte in who does it best.
Pretty much my feeling on it. If Ole sticks to it then it will make certain people at the club look very silly, they really pushed the Conte is too defensive and doesn't do it the United Way narrative this week; while their reason for backing Ole was due to his understanding of the United Way if you will. All very silly of course

bosnian_red

This squad needs to play with a back 3/5

I hope that this tactic will be established definitely

You’ll never see playing Sancho and Donny again this season
Sancho is probably more suited to a front 3 in front of a back 5 then he is on the wing with a normal back 4. Much less defensive responsibility. Same with all our attackers. If Ole was smart, he'd rotate the front 3 between Ronaldo, Bruno, Cavani, Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho constantly. Bruno and Sancho as the creative guys, then the other 4 as the strikers. Swap them out during games too.

Donny probably won't play under Ole but he'd technically be better suited to playing midfield here too IMO. But he's behind Pogba/Fred/McTominay/Matic so unlikely.

Skills

Snitch
Hey guys, we need to stop chopping and changing managers or we leave the squad in a mess full of a mismatch of styles.

3 years after spending 400m building a team for Solskjaer. Actually, I think we need to actually play 3 at the back and no wingers after chasing one for 2 summers in a row and making the club pay 70m for him.

This continuity thing is working out well

city-puma

We are rusty to this formation. But, this is a formation VDB could make immediate contribution. I still hope us play 4-3-3.

cyberman

I don't think we did. I think we managed the game extremely well, we were compact.

But there is a difference between that and when it comes to a home game against average opposition and they will be looking to do exactly what we did. It's a different match, it's less about countering from deep and more about what we can produce ourselves with less space. Maybe we can rely on crosses more with the dual threat of Ronaldo and Cavani, that would be one option to combat this.
I don’t know to be honest! I just think our attack can really do damage against teams that sit in.
We get destroyed by teams who press high and we end up chasing the ball. If this formation stops teams doing that then it’s worth every penny. I’d back us against defensive sides than teams getting around our midfield and forcing mistakes

Walters_19_MuFc

I think 3 at the back is the right choice for now. We've obviously looked vulnerable at the back so putting in an extra centre makes sense.

Regards to the front five, I'd personally chop and change it between 352 and 343 depending on opposition.

::sonny::

Sancho is probably more suited to a front 3 in front of a back 5 then he is on the wing with a normal back 4. Much less defensive responsibility. Same with all our attackers. If Ole was smart, he'd rotate the front 3 between Ronaldo, Bruno, Cavani, Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho constantly. Bruno and Sancho as the creative guys, then the other 4 as the strikers. Swap them out during games too.

Donny probably won't play under Ole but he'd technically be better suited to playing midfield here too IMO. But he's behind Pogba/Fred/McTominay/Matic so unlikely.
He doesn’t rotate players, even if they are injured

He plays with always the same 13/14

bosnian_red

It does seem ironic that we seem to have been buying players for a 4-2-3-1 when we may get more stability with a 5-3-2.
I'd still say they're more suited to a 3-4-3 or 433 type formation. Any formation where we have 3 actual attackers that are kinda left to be attackers, and the 7 players behind have a lot more defensive responsibility. A 4231 you need a balance with your wide players. Not attackers but actual wide players who are good at both ends. Greenwood, Rashford, Ronaldo are all wide forwards, very much front line players. Bruno has been a 2nd striker under Ole, another front line player. Sancho is a creative attacker, never been very good defensively but great in attack. Cavani a striker. Pogba needs more solidity behind him - he gets that even in a midfield 2 with a back 3/5 formation.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The problem is how many players we’re benching to play this formation.
Don't see it as problem. Both Ronaldo and Cavani are old anyway so those bench can learn and step up when those two decide to call it a day. And also we can be flexible to do rotation with Bruno Ronaldo Cavani to Lingard/Sancho Rashford Greenwood.

kouroux

They don't have to be creative, Shaw plenty fine for that role. We bought Sancho who excels in a front 3 like that, Rashford and Greenwood would both work better in a front 2/or a 3 group formation where they worry less about tracking back. Give them the instructions to overlap of course, but they're fine for it. Wan Bissaka was very good today without being creative, that's all he needs. Be in the right positions and good things will come from it.
What we did today has to be put into the Spurs context. We played vs a lifeless team. 3-5-2 cannot be our main formation when the quality attacking wide is that poor from Shaw and Bissaka.

wattsy7

If we continue playing a counter attacking style (which we should because it’s a style Ole knows how to coach & our players clearly suit it) then it seems a good idea to me to keep using 532.

RedDevilRoshi

This is the formation I thought we would have went with last week against Liverpool.

Only caught the 2nd half and one thing I really liked was how much better we were both on & off the ball. Tottenham created feck all and we looked the side more likely to score when we had the ball.

NZT-One

Some will never learn the action-reactio scheme... As if our opponents won't adapt to whichever formation we will play in. It isn't like we just have to find the one formula which rules the world. It is about adjusting it every other week or so. To get the most out of the players available, the players in form, the players absolutely not in form, the opponent yadda yadda yadda.

We were defensively alright today. Question is, was it the formation? Or was it Varane? Or because we did change the approach (mostly sitting back). Probably a bit of everything, question is the extent.

I don't see ole ditching mcfred which means either pogba or bruno will be benched along with rashford and sancho unless they can play as wingbacks.
Felt like McTominay was playing a bit further back than Fred and Bruno. Sort of like a mock-up DM behind to CMs to harrass the opponent. That is different to McFred I feel. Therefor switching a player out might not have the same effect than in the midfield-two.

It's the best system for us to us, whatever combination of attackers we play. Been saying it for a while. Not that it'll always work, but Ole doesn't know how to coach us to be balanced so this by nature gives us more defensive balance while still playing some star attackers who don't do defensive work. Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood, Ronaldo and Pogba are all horrendous defensively for the positions they play in. Bruno works hard but doesn't have good positioning. Cavani a #9. We need to forget about how can we fit them all in and think about how can we be balanced best. With Ole or even Conte, a 3 at the back would be better to balance and then let the front 3 run wild, whoever it is in attack.
I like that Ole did change something but lets be cautious with predictions. Tottenham was horrible and gifted is two goals more or less. Apart from that we had one decent chance I can recall. And while we have been way more solid than the last weeks, it wasn't rocksolid as well. I guess we could also line up with 4-2-3-1 with having Varane in there plus approaching the game sitting back and waiting for counter and it might have the same effect.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Varane was quality today and brought composure to the back line. I think a 3-4-3 would be better as we have wingers who can concentrate more on attacking. I thought van de beek should of come on today for Fred… his passing and ability on the ball is so much better