39 Bodies found in a lorry in Essex.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
The whole thing is just so horrible to think about. These murderous scum who prey on the desperate and vulnerable are among the most evil people on this planet.
The really disturbing thing is this is going on day in day out, these people are treated worse than livestock used as slaves, for unimaginable things.

Simbo

Refridgerated air tight storage unit also suggests the only intent here was to transport dead bodies, not living people. I doubt this was an attempt at migration.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I’m not suggesting anyone was deliberately killed but a simple case of proving how easy to smuggle people from big bad EU country into UK. Therefore we need border checks everywhere
Immigrant trafficking is an enormous business since many years. People have forgotten 50 odd Chinese people who died in similar circumstances at the turn of the millennium. Many also since.

This tragedy is the tip of the iceberg. The trafficking business model and supply chain is even more sophisticated than the illegal drugs industry.

And whilst there is such huge wealth inequality between the ‘have’ nations and ‘have not’ nations, or neglected war zones, there will always be people looking ‘for a better life’.

It’s a very complicated problem, compounded further by UK’s ever increasing hated towards immigrants. I don’t think any European ‘have’ nation has the will to change this status quo. In this instance there will be an investigation until even those who give a shit quickly forget. Rinse and repeat.

Last edited:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I’m not suggesting anyone was deliberately killed but a simple case of proving how easy to smuggle people from big bad EU country into UK. Therefore we need border checks everywhere
So which bright spark thought it was a good idea to put them in a refrigerated container? Surely if it was a government plot they would have more intelligence than to actually kill the people?

hobbers

Refridgerated air tight storage unit also suggests the only intent here was to transport dead bodies, not living people. I doubt this was an attempt at migration.
No people smugglers generally want to use refrigerated trucks because it's easier to conceal stowaways in them. Never heard of any criminal gangs wanting to transport dead bodies. Not much money in that.

Either they were migrants who paid a criminal gang to be smuggled into the UK, who then royally fecked them over, or they were victims of trafficking.

With this weird extended route the lorry took to avoid rigorous port checks, it's possible they were all already dead by the time they got to Holyhead.

Raulduke

Edit: And this...

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No people smugglers generally want to use refrigerated trucks because it's easier to conceal stowaways in them. Never heard of any criminal gangs wanting to transport dead bodies. Not much money in that.

Either they were migrants who paid a criminal gang to be smuggled into the UK, who then royally fecked them over, or they were victims of trafficking.

With this weird extended route the lorry took to avoid rigorous port checks, it's possible they were all already dead by the time they got to Holyhead.
It depends on the dead bodies and the conditions of transports, organs are more valuable than immigrants.

Rooney24

The Police now saying the lorry came into the UK at Purfleet from Zeebrugge in the early Hours of this morning and not Holyhead.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
The Police now saying the lorry came into the UK at Purfleet from Zeebrugge in the early Hours of this morning and not Holyhead.
Yes, the refrigerated trailer (not a container) came in from Zeebrugge and the tractor unit (truck) from Ireland.
Air tight trailer has about 70000 litres of air, one person breathes about 10000 litres of air per day. There were 39.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
So which bright spark thought it was a good idea to put them in a refrigerated container? Surely if it was a government plot they would have more intelligence than to actually kill the people?
I didn’t say government. There’s many shady people that may want border checks

Rooney24

Yes, the refrigerated trailer (not a container) came in from Zeebrugge and the tractor unit (truck) from Ireland.
Air tight trailer has about 70000 litres of air, one person breathes about 10000 litres of air per day. There were 39.
They are saying both Lorry and Trailer. Its all very strange.

Essex Police have now confirmed that it now believes that the lorry and trailer travelled from Zeebrugge into Purfleet, near Grays in Essex, shortly after 00:30 this morning.
A statement continued: "We believe the lorry and trailer left the port shortly after 01:05. The driver of the lorry, a 25-year-old man from Northern Ireland, remains in custody having been arrested on suspicion of murder."
Police made the discovery of the bodies at about 01:40 after being alerted by the ambulance Service.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Located at an address in County Armagh. (still on Bulgarian plates)

I would guess that the lorry driver isn't some smuggler.

Imagine how he's feeling right now, and the owner of his firm.
He may not be, and he's innocent until proven guilty of any wrong doing of course.

I'm not sure if the following is appropriate or not but a number of people have told me that he's...let's just say, no angel.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It's been in and out of an address in County Armagh. (still on Bulgarian plates)

He may not be, and he's innocent until proven guilty of any wrong doing of course.

I'm not sure if the following is appropriate or not but a number of people have told me that he's...let's just say, no angel.
Armagh is full of smugglers of all sorts

antsmithmk

Hates women.
Essex Police have now confirmed that it now believes that the lorry and trailer travelled from Zeebrugge into Purfleet, near Grays in Essex, shortly after 00:30 this morning.
A statement continued: "We believe the lorry and trailer left the port shortly after 01:05. The driver of the lorry, a 25-year-old man from Northern Ireland, remains in custody having been arrested on suspicion of murder."
Police made the discovery of the bodies at about 01:40 after being alerted by the ambulance Service

So...

That sounds to me like he knew they were there. Left the port, pulled onto the industrial estate to let them out, use the loo or have some food etc. He discovered they had sadly died so rang an ambulance. Ambulance arrives, then they call police. Desperate stuff.

Raulduke

The guy has been released without charge apparently.

Edit: Rumour lifted from Reddit so by no means reliable.

Last edited:

madzo2007

The guy has been released without charge apparently.

Edit: Rumour lifted from Reddit so by no means reliable.
Seeing the same thing on local Facebook pages, but no one has posted a source. It does seem a strange place where he stopped the lorry, maybe there was some sort of alarms going off from the container (if there is such a thing) or he heard something move/fall. He could have been set up to be the fall guy, why risk his freedom, career and the chance to watch his unborn baby grow up

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
That's absolutely horrific - they probably died in transit - refrigerated unit which possibly restricts the amount of oxygen in the container - though I guess we will find out.
Some articles are hinting the refrigeration unit was turned on and they died of the cold.

Sounds like the container came via Zeebruger and the tractir unit from Ireland. It also sounds like the people were already dead by the time the tractor unit was connected to the trailer and container.

Paul the Wolf

Some articles are hinting the refrigeration unit was turned on and they died of the cold.

Sounds like the container came via Zeebruger and the tractir unit from Ireland. It also sounds like the people were already dead by the time the tractor unit was connected to the trailer and container.
It's not a container , it's a refrigerated trailer. The crossing from Zeebrugge to Purfleet is 10 hours. Whether the refrigeration unit was turned on or not if someone shut those people in they killed them the moment the door shut.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
From the beeb story on this:
He said it was "highly unlikely" the deceased were Bulgarians.

Is he saying that because he knows because of where they were loaded into the trailer?

Paul the Wolf

From the beeb story on this:
He said it was "highly unlikely" the deceased were Bulgarians.

Is he saying that because he knows because of where they were loaded into the trailer?
Bulgarians don't need to hide in a trailer to get to the UK, they have freedom of movement throughout the EU.
The lorry was registered in Bulgaria but is actually Irish owned.
The deceased were unlikely to be European.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Bulgarians don't need to hide in a trailer to get to the UK, they have freedom of movement throughout the EU.
The lorry was registered in Bulgaria but is actually Irish owned.
The deceased were unlikely to be European.
That's another question I had: the trailer is Irish owned or the tractor, or both?

Paul the Wolf

That's another question I had: the trailer is Irish owned or the tractor, or both?
The tractor is Irish , the trailer we don't know yet - someone must have delivered the trailer to Zeebrugge, it was then loaded on a ferry and collected at Purfleet. How many hours passed between it arriving at Zeebrugge and being collected we don't know but is certainly more than 10.
Can they trace the trailer, who booked it into Zeebrugge, what goods were declared, where were the people loaded and what instructions did the guy who collected it receive are some of the many questions the police will be asking.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Feel really bad for this fella named and shamed already by the press as if he’s a mass murderer, when from what I gather he was only doing his job transporting a trailer. The chat in NI here is he was released without charge and only had the trailer 35 minutes

Eire Red United

Feel really bad for this fella named and shamed already by the press as if he’s a mass murderer, when from what I gather he was only doing his job transporting a trailer. The chat in NI here is he was released without charge and only had the trailer 35 minutes
Poor fella discovered the bodies and called the ambulance too apparently. Awful thing for a man who at the end of the day was only doing his days work.