39 Bodies found in a lorry in Essex.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Were they delivery notes, which doesn't surprise me, or a maritime Bill of Lading which normally the shipping line would insist on a reasonably detailed description.
Just the d notes, always bothered me that I had no idea what was in the back, washing machines, TVs, heroin, people, guns, anything

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Aah that explains it. So the guy from armagh lifted the trailer. Drove it a few miles to the industrial unit, checked his "cargo" seen dead bodies and rang the police?

The question then becomes when he was checking his cargo was he expecting a load of toilet roll or 39 alive humans?

Is that the jist of it?

It honestly hasn't been explained to well but i suppose the police haven't all the info themselves yet
This is possible but what were his instructions to do with the trailer. We'll find out in due course I suppose.

arnie_ni

I don't know what he did or didn't do but in theory he should have checked his cargo when it was given to him. To make sure that it was the correct cargo and to make sure of its conditions, in the case of a refrigerated trailer I seem to remember that you have to check the temperature.
One would assume, based on the limited info we had, he couldn't check on his cargo at the port because of what the cargo actually was.

He had to drive to a quiet? Industrial unit to check on the people.

It would seem.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
One would assume, based on the limited info we had, he couldn't check on his cargo at the port because of what the cargo actually was.

He had to drive to a quiet? Industrial unit to check on the people.

It would seem.
It would indeed seem strange that had this been a normal refrigerated trailer he decided to drive to a quiet industrial unit and then open it ...

Still I guess it will be all speculation till the investigation is concluded and I guess that will take several months

diarm

Four people in custody now. All appear to be Irish which suggests an Irish organised crime group involved.

Really sad to read the dying text messages from one of the Vietnamese victims. £30,000 paid by her family to get her to the UK.
Are the two arrested in Warrington Irish as well? I thought I'd read that they were English and the other two arrested were Northern Irish?

TheReligion

Abusive
Are the two arrested in Warrington Irish as well? I thought I'd read that they were English and the other two arrested were Northern Irish?
You may be right. Sky suggested otherwise but could be the case. Seems they used to own the cab and sold it to a company in Southern Ireland. The other suspect was arrested at the airport - trying to make his escape perhaps?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's looking more and more like the driver knew something
If he didn't knew, he is extremely careless. I assume that he had a pretty good idea about what was in the trailer.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
my guess, good pay and don't look inside so he covers his ass in that regard. He could suspect people, drugs, anything but didn't know exactly what illegality was doing. I don't think he would let die 39 people knowingly (it was a refrigerator truck) and stay in the truck.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Yeah, it was heartbreaking to read the text messages sent from one of those feared to have died in the trailer back to her family in Vietnam. Absolutely heartbreaking.

I've heard some more since my original post, but...only time will tell with all of this.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
That’s awful to read that text. How horrible for them and the family back home.
You know they were trying to help their family back home but couldn’t ....
:(

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I don't know what he did or didn't do but in theory he should have checked his cargo when it was given to him. To make sure that it was the correct cargo and to make sure of its conditions, in the case of a refrigerated trailer I seem to remember that you have to check the temperature.
The company I used to work for twice accidentally brought illegals into the UK.

Both times, the illegals entered our lorries about here, when the drivers stopped for their breaks.

Our vehicles were steel-reinforced box bodies with a bulldog container lock

https://viperguard.co.uk/truck-trailer/bulldog-container-lock-1

the trailer was locked and sealed. After it's sealed, the driver isn't really allowed to open it up because it means the goods could be compromised.

On both occasions with us, it seems the gang forced open the door at the top, and got just enough room to allow 10 starving immigrants in through the gap. Even with the door locked.

Most of our vehicles were the same box bodies. The company next to ours had a much bigger problem with bringing in illegals as they were curtainsiders, and I think they must have brought in about 10 lots of them just from what I saw when they stopped at our depot and everyone legged it.

Of course, none of ours were fridges.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The company I used to work for twice accidentally brought illegals into the UK.

Both times, the illegals entered our lorries about here, when the drivers stopped for their breaks.

Our vehicles were steel-reinforced box bodies with a bulldog container lock

https://viperguard.co.uk/truck-trailer/bulldog-container-lock-1

the trailer was locked and sealed. After it's sealed, the driver isn't really allowed to open it up because it means the goods could be compromised.

On both occasions with us, it seems the gang forced open the door at the top, and got just enough room to allow 10 starving immigrants in through the gap. Even with the door locked.

Most of our vehicles were the same box bodies. The company next to ours had a much bigger problem with bringing in illegals as they were curtainsiders, and I think they must have brought in about 10 lots of them just from what I saw when they stopped at our depot and everyone legged it.

Of course, none of ours were fridges.
But that's the thing, if the trailer isn't sealed you have to check the cargo when you stop, particular at truck stops who are used by illegals to sneak into trucks. If the trailer is sealed you need to check the seals. What you can't do is simply ignore everything and just drive.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
But that's the thing, if the trailer isn't sealed you have to check the cargo when you stop, particular at truck stops who are used by illegals to sneak into trucks. If the trailer is sealed you need to check the seals. What you can't do is simply ignore everything and just drive.
I thought I read that his trailer was sealed, but I don't know

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
One look at the drivers Facebook page makes it pretty certain that he's probably not the mastermind behind the operation!

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
One look at the drivers Facebook page makes it pretty certain that he's probably not the mastermind behind the operation!
They never are because if they were they would know the risk and the consequences. They’re just pawns for whom this is just another simple job. As far as they think there’s no real risk involved, but of course in reality they end up being the ultimate fall guys.

Chip

Send in Jimmy McNulty.

In all seriousness, it's absolutely horrible.

arnie_ni

So they believe he knew what he was picking up?

However he is is the bottom of the food chain, he didnt load them or transport them, they were dead when he got them, so he better not be the only person charged when its all said and done

Withnail

They were Irish too, not sure whether they're from the North or not. There was a report in the Irish Indo which suggested a link to the republican gangs, which wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

diarm

They were Irish too, not sure whether they're from the North or not. There was a report in the Irish Indo which suggested a link to the republican gangs, which wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.
It would surprise me a huge amount if it turned out to be a republican gang, having seen the Facebook page of the truck driver and his choice of flags and football shirts.

I saw the earlier reports suggesting republican links in the Telegraph but it seemed based on a very tenuous link to republican activities in Bulgaria back when the Bulgaria connection seemed relevant. Have you a link to anywhere suggesting the couple arrested in Warrington were Irish?

Eire Red United

Couldn’t see it, especially given the background of the driver.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Strange to me that he would call emergency services if guilty.
Don’t think he had many other options, doing anything else would probably get him into even deeper trouble.

madzo2007

Don’t think he had many other options, doing anything else would probably get him into even deeper trouble.
Cant really just do a runner leaving your truck, lying open with 39 bodies in it. Who knows he might have rang someone before he called the ambulance with instructions of what to do.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It would surprise me a huge amount if it turned out to be a republican gang, having seen the Facebook page of the truck driver and his choice of flags and football shirts.

I saw the earlier reports suggesting republican links in the Telegraph but it seemed based on a very tenuous link to republican activities in Bulgaria back when the Bulgaria connection seemed relevant. Have you a link to anywhere suggesting the couple arrested in Warrington were Irish?
Widely reported as being an Irish couple living in Warrington.

diarm

Widely reported as being an Irish couple living in Warrington.
Yeah I saw it since. Whole thing is sickening and I hope everyone involved is caught and has the book thrown at them.

poleglass red

Not sure about that. The driver is from Portadown for a start, who has photos of himself with Northern Ireland flag on his website. If anything I'd say it's more connected possibly to loyalism. The route that was taken is a known Loyalist route for importing heroin.