39 Bodies found in a lorry in Essex.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Yes, the refrigerated trailer (not a container) came in from Zeebrugge and the tractor unit (truck) from Ireland.
Air tight trailer has about 70000 litres of air, one person breathes about 10000 litres of air per day. There were 39.
Fecking hell. What a shitty way to go. :(

Rooney24

Sky are now reporting that the cab travelled from NI to Dublin, across to Holyhead and then he picked up this container/trailer/refridgerated unit (whatever we want to call it) in Purfleet and drove it to Grays.

I have absolutely no clue how the freight industry works, but would it be usual for a lorry driver from NI to do such a trip like that?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Sky are now reporting that the cab travelled from NI to Dublin, across to Holyhead and then he picked up this container/trailer/refridgerated unit (whatever we want to call it) in Purfleet and drove it to Grays.

I have absolutely no clue how the freight industry works, but would it be usual for a lorry driver from NI to do such a trip like that?
Its to try and avoid detection, the big ports are pretty good at detecting people hiding. The container its self probably came in from Cherbourg - Dublin - Holyhead.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Its to try and avoid detection, the big ports are pretty good at detecting people hiding. The container its self probably came in from Cherbourg - Dublin - Holyhead.
The trailer came from Zeebrugge not through Ireland.

Yes he may have done several jobs from the time he entered through Holyhead and picked up the trailer. Question is who contacted him and what they asked him to do with the trailer.

Handré1990

39 innocent men, women and children have died. All those lives lost.

If anyone asks for a hard border that leads to more deaths, they've got a fecking nerve.

Some of the light hearted comments in this thread all a bit beyond the pale, in my opinion.
Agreed. This isn’t a fecking joke. It’s just terribly sad.

Even if the driver did know what was in the trailer, it doesn't sit well with me how he is being depicted. Throw the book at him absolutely but it's clear hes the lowest rung of the ladder in a much bigger thing and the papers seem to be glossing over this.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Even if the driver did know what was in the trailer, it doesn't sit well with me how he is being depicted. Throw the book at him absolutely but it's clear hes the lowest rung of the ladder in a much bigger thing and the papers seem to be glossing over this.
What do you expect from these scum? The tone of some of the articles yesterday would have you believe this bloke had single-handedly murdered 39 people.

lsd

The Oracle
The trailer came from Zeebrugge not through Ireland.

Yes he may have done several jobs from the time he entered through Holyhead and picked up the trailer. Question is who contacted him and what they asked him to do with the trailer.

That would be my guess that he was doing different jobs and was then contracted to drive this one back from Belgium .

I doubt he knew what he was transporting

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The assumptions seem to be that these people were brought into the UK from Bulgaria or somewhere along the route. Seems possible however that they were loaded here, to be sent out of the UK.
Bulgaria is in the EU remember.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It's not a container , it's a refrigerated trailer. The crossing from Zeebrugge to Purfleet is 10 hours. Whether the refrigeration unit was turned on or not if someone shut those people in they killed them the moment the door shut.
Especially with 39 poor souls all trying to breathe the same air. An awful shame and an equally awful way to die.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
39 innocent men, women and children have died. All those lives lost.

If anyone asks for a hard border that leads to more deaths, they've got a fecking nerve.

Some of the light hearted comments in this thread all a bit beyond the pale, in my opinion.
I'm not surprised but its the usual suspects.

stepic

there's no way whoever set this up didn't know that 39 people would die in such a container/refrigerator. absolutely disgusting really. it's bad enough illegally trafficking people in conditions that are safe, let alone essentially knowingly murdering 39 people for a quick buck.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Removed some of the posts which were "humorous" on the first page

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Zero experience with lorry driving but would there not be desperate shouting and banging coming from the trailer as the situation worsened in there? Surely a lorry driver would hear that? He couldn't plead ignorance.

Paul the Wolf

Zero experience with lorry driving but would there not be desperate shouting and banging coming from the trailer as the situation worsened in there? Surely a lorry driver would hear that? He couldn't plead ignorance.
Assuming the people were loaded into the trailer just before it was delivered to the docks in Zeebrugge, two hour wait on the quayside without a cab unit then 10 hour journey in the ferry underdecks with no cab unit and with no-one around and noise of the ferry engines.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
What doesn't add up is that the trailer was a Schmitz Cargobull GTR128-D on hire from GTR Trailer Rental Solutions with an Irish telephone number.
You obviously know about trailers and I suspect the majority in here don't. I certainly don't.

Why doesn't this add up out if interest?

Paul the Wolf

You obviously know about trailers and I suspect the majority in here don't. I certainly don't.

Why doesn't this add up out if interest?
The trailer was rented from an Irish rental company GTR (seeing the signs on the trailer itself) yet the trailer was delivered to Zeebrugge by someone other than the guy who picked it up, where was the trailer before it was delivered to Zeebrugge.
Which begs the question, was the intention to drive the trailer back to Ireland?

Police should be able to trace the movements of the trailer through the rental company.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Doesn't bear thinking about.

The reporting of this is dreadful though, even now they keep referring to the trailer as a container. The Guardian report above and currently on Sky is so bad.
Typical ignorance by the ignorant reports.
I seriously doubt they even understand the difference, or even care. For them it is only about the story and not about the facts. We see it repeated time after time.
And the sad thing is that the vast majority of the those who take in the reporting are not interested in the facts. Just the headlines.

Carlsen19

there's no way whoever set this up didn't know that 39 people would die in such a container/refrigerator. absolutely disgusting really. it's bad enough illegally trafficking people in conditions that are safe, let alone essentially knowingly murdering 39 people for a quick buck.
But if that was the case, what would be the point of trafficking people they knew would be dead? Makes no sense.

stepic

But if that was the case, what would be the point of trafficking people they knew would be dead? Makes no sense.
if they get the money before they travel, i guess they don't really care whether they make it alive or not? i don't see how they wouldn't know 39 people in an airtight fridge wasn't a death trap.

Fingeredmouse

if they get the money before they travel, i guess they don't really care whether they make it alive or not? i don't see how they wouldn't know 39 people in an airtight fridge wasn't a death trap.
Because the smugglers were idiots?

Carlsen19

Yeah that makes sense actually, didn't even think of that.

Fully Fledged

As soon as I heard it was a refrigerated trailer I though god that is going to be air tight they had no chance.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Why are chinese so desperate to emigrate, I thought they were doing well.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Why are chinese so desperate to emigrate, I thought they were doing well.
Doing much better than 20 years and that the improvement had been in % much better than the increase in the western countries it doesn't mean that they are better off than here.

Also, this improvements, even if had improve a massive amount of people (on the hundreds), there are still several hundreds that they are left behind still

And even if you make decent money, workinf 10+ hours a day 6/7 days a week like many of them, doesn't beat what we have

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Doing much better than 20 years and that the improvement had been in % much better than the increase in the western countries it doesn't mean that they are better off than here.

Also, this improvements, even if had improve a massive amount of people (on the hundreds), there are still several hundreds that they are left behind still

And even if you make decent money, workinf 10+ hours a day 6/7 days a week like many of them, doesn't beat what we have
Boarding a death trap just to emigrate indicates a very high level of desperation though, the kind you see in India where you can literally starve to death. I was under the impression that the Chinese have outgrown that level of poverty.

arnie_ni

Majority are male according to the latest article in the newsletter, so its not sex trafficking.

Just looking for a better life?

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Boarding a death trap just to emigrate indicates a very high level of desperation though, the kind you see in India where you can literally starve to death. I was under the impression that the Chinese have outgrown that level of poverty.
Average income in China is the 73 in the world, below Mexico for example and they risk as well to cross the US boder

Also, there is a lot of disparity on urban china and rural china. Even if in the last 30 years they dramatically eliminated extreme poverty (about 1 dollar a day income) in China in %, that 1% (more or less) means 15 million people. That's the size of Netherlands approx.

When you think of china think big. There is a lot of everything, rich, poor, medium class, etc...

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Picking cockles - how much do you think they made doing that?
They must be sold a bill of goods back in the home country - streets paved with gold and all that.

Very sad.