g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

3rd but we are supposedly crap

Borys

Statistics Wizard
If we beat Leicester next week it starts to look very interesting.

Don't think our defence is good enough to give us more than an outside chance, but no reason why we shouldn't try and go for it. It's as good a chance as anyone other than Liverpool will have at this point.

I also think our defence can improve a bit without needing a major signing as a lot of the problems seem to be a confidence issue rather than ability. If they can get a few clean sheets they might be able to build a bit of assertiveness from that.

Going forwards we just open teams up with ease even when half our forwards don't turn up. Martial and Greenwood haven't fired all season and Cavani has barely been fit, and yet we're second top scorers and look like scoring in any game we can get the ball forwards.
I just saw that, it's crazy. With one game in hand, we seem to be doing OK offensively and we are yet to see Martial and Greenwood hit the ground running as you said.

Defense is an issue, but I think we're doing worse than expected Basing on performances and quality of chances conceded, so I'd just give it time for now.

patty123

and scoring goals for fun,
Look we are all happy we won today, but to make statements like that is madness gone mad, sorry but one goal from open play in 6 matches at home in the league prior till today is hardly "scoring for fun" pal
Just imagine what happens if Ole gets this team truly playing like his vision. What a great job he is doing.
He is here two years now, so how long more before you think he will be able to do that and how much more of a spent does he need to do too achieve that ? Not a pop at Ole just a question, as have all the respect in the world for the guy since June 98 and that wont change whether he does get the bullet or not.

big rons sovereign

Our defense is still crap :drool: luckily Sheffield and Leeds are shit at finishing most of the time they had a go at us.
Our finishing is also still crap as does other glaring issues...

Why so happy with the results against two shit teams. Scoreline seems to suggest we dominated the game, not really. We dominated the scoreline, but not the performances on the pitch. I mean we didn't control the game. Their defense is so bad and playing way too high line which suits us giving us plenty of spaces. We also didn't control the tempo of the game.. yes I know we're not interested in doing that. Did we even dominate possession? I remember Leeds dominate possession in this game. They had plenty. We could've control the game by dominating possession and strong defense, killing the game but the fact we couldn't against two supposedly shit teams seems to suggest there are problems... or we're just not good at it. That's embarrassing. We should've killed the game so much so they gave up but they didn't because of how easy attacking through our crap defense is so the hope to score is there. Our finishing is again terrible. Should've score more in both games. Other teams have better defense and won't let us had those many chances.

The league is crap this season, and thankfully we hit increasing good form as the other teams are turning crap. Our standards are still so low, I don't see the need to be happy about it. I do feel content of course so far. Surely this team could and should go more than this.

This kind of thread pop up every time we get "amazing results", I believe it's called reactionary thread or something.
Aah, so we're not doing well, it's just that everybody else is crap. Right. Gotcha.
The old 'low standards' argument (Bollox) is still hanging around I see. Being happy to beat Leeds 6-2 and 2-0 up inside 3 mins is having low standards now.
Brilliant.

vanderstar

I dont get it. Everyones badgering our defence. We conceded 36 goals last session. 3 more than Liverpool and one more than shity.

Meanwhile Liverpool scored 19 more goals than us and shity a whoping 36 more goals. And people are on and on about the defence.

Ffs get your shit together!!! Support the team. This season we had that terrible game vs. Tottenham, our defence wont go there again. If you think our defence is shaky maybee you should watch a more calm game like snooker. Calmer for your nerves.

I have been nervous watching United since the 90s because the oposing teams are on the field to try to score goals as well. And in the Premier League its more than often good teams.

To say that our defence is a shambles is so totally out of sorts it will make people laugh.

I dont care if they defend in their knickers as long as we win games. I personally think people on here will switch teams if we continue more consistantly because they love the whining and backstabbing so much...

I love our Manchester United. Flaws and all!!!(Keep shouting and yelling in front of the telly though)

HaliRed

I had to watch the second half on sky cause my stream for Astrosport died.

Tyler and Neville were their usual boring, cliched selves. They barely mentioned what was going on in the game but made sure to repeatedly say how inconsistent Utd have been this season and how Leeds stick to their system at all times. That's pretty much all they talked about for 45 minutes
Same narrative on DAZN, and I had to endure it for 90min...

Everything Leeds did was to be admired. Even at 4-0 down, Jim Beglin was claiming we were "Stealing" goals.

Martial and James, dove to get penalties, but the incident on the other end with Van de Beek involved only warranted a "there's nothing in that, seen it given both ways".

Every United attack apparently was a counter, even the ones started with De Gea goal kicks, while mighty footballing saviours Leeds were the second coming of Brazil 70' in the purity of their game and the valour of their philosophy.

I mean, I do admire the fact that Leeds kept on attacking, and kept on playing football, as it made for a cracking match, but FFS they lost 6-2, and the team that shred them to pieces barely got any credit for that. Strange, really.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Look we are all happy we won today, but to make statements like that is madness gone mad, sorry but one goal from open play in 6 matches at home in the league prior till today is hardly "scoring for fun" pal

He is here two years now, so how long more before you think he will be able to do that and how much more of a spent does he need to do too achieve that ? Not a pop at Ole just a question, as have all the respect in the world for the guy since June 98 and that wont change whether he does get the bullet or not.
We are 2nd highest scorers in the league with 28 goals in 13 games (despite our home anomaly). Thats more than 2 goals per game on average. So yes, I do think our team has bags of goals within it.

It took SAF 4 years to build a league challenging team. It took Klopp around the same, ditto City after Robinho. Our average position in league post SAF was between 5th and 6th. As for player and squad turnover, Klopp got rid of 26 players before he formed his league winning squad. SAF would be about the same. Citys squad turnover since Robinho will be way way way higher!

Ole has been in the job 2 years. He's made demonstrable and quantitative progress. He deserves the same time and patience other successful managers have been given.

Last edited:

JustAGuest

I dont get it. Everyones badgering our defence. We conceded 36 goals last session. 3 more than Liverpool and one more than shity.

Meanwhile Liverpool scored 19 more goals than us and shity a whoping 36 more goals. And people are on and on about the defence.

Ffs get your shit together!!! Support the team. This season we had that terrible game vs. Tottenham, our defence wont go there again. If you think our defence is shaky maybee you should watch a more calm game like snooker. Calmer for your nerves.

I have been nervous watching United since the 90s because the oposing teams are on the field to try to score goals as well. And in the Premier League its more than often good teams.

To say that our defence is a shambles is so totally out of sorts it will make people laugh.

I dont care if they defend in their knickers as long as we win games. I personally think people on here will switch teams if we continue more consistantly because they love the whining and backstabbing so much...

I love our Manchester United. Flaws and all!!!(Keep shouting and yelling in front of the telly though)
Spot on regarding our defense. It's there for everyone to see it was just as good as that of Liverpool or City last season.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I just saw that, it's crazy. With one game in hand, we seem to be doing OK offensively and we are yet to see Martial and Greenwood hit the ground running as you said.

Defense is an issue, but I think we're doing worse than expected Basing on performances and quality of chances conceded, so I'd just give it time for now.
The defence concerns me but I do think they can do better. I think they need to though. I don't think it's a freak thing as some have suggested. We just concede soft goals far too easily. Other teams can have spells in games where they come under a bit of pressure and might concede a chance or two but don't necessarily concede goals. With us you know we're letting one in as soon as the other team is on top for more than a couple of minutes. Our defenders are definitely better than that even if they have their faults.

Dominos

Ah so Sancho is someone who always creates lots of chances at home and never has an off day. I see
Again a very bizarre reply. "Ah so Van Dijk is someone who always keeps a clean sheet and never has an off day".

Quality attacking players would have improved our attack. Quality defensive players would have improved our defence. We've dropped points in some games because of bad defending, and we've dropped points in some games because our attacking play was hopeless. You're so desparate for a "I told you so" moment, it's quite possible we have weaknesses in multiple positions you know.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I'd argue not week to week but we look a different team within each game. Even today we were sublime going forward but rookies in defence. Should have scored 10 and could have easily conceded 4 goals. Seemed we looked like conceding every time Leeds were in our area. Its' been the story of our season.
Yes this is true. Or appalling in one half, amazing in the next. Manic-depressive united

Tyrion

You're right for what it's worth but why the reactiveness? This forum is much better when it's not at war between ole inners and ole outers.
Tbh, the OP has posted threads like this before. Basically we have a good few games and they make a thread baiting anyone who doesn't think OGS is going to win us a title. Then when something goes wrong, they lay low for a while.

There is no such thing as Ole in. Those who fully support Ole simply support our club with conviction and without reserve.
Only if you believe that OGS and Man United are the exact same thing.

Didn't you start the CL thread after we won the first two games ? That didn't end well and i don't see this ending well either.

You've jinxed us.

This thread should be locked and deleted asap.
I'd like to be proven wrong but I imagine we'll eventually have a bad run of form again and then a better run when we'll be treated to the third "told you so" thread (by my count, there may be others).

Ekeke

Again a very bizarre reply. "Ah so Van Dijk is someone who always keeps a clean sheet and never has an off day".

Quality attacking players would have improved our attack. Quality defensive players would have improved our defence. We've dropped points in some games because of bad defending, and we've dropped points in some games because our attacking play was hopeless. You're so desparate for a "I told you so" moment, it's quite possible we have weaknesses in multiple positions you know.
Once again we dont need our attack improved. Its been one of the best in the league and it was our strong point last season

We do need our defending and defensive record improved

troylocker

Our defense is still crap :drool: luckily Sheffield and Leeds are shit at finishing most of the time they had a go at us.
Our finishing is also still crap as does other glaring issues...

Why so happy with the results against two shit teams. Scoreline seems to suggest we dominated the game, not really. We dominated the scoreline, but not the performances on the pitch. I mean we didn't control the game. Their defense is so bad and playing way too high line which suits us giving us plenty of spaces. We also didn't control the tempo of the game.. yes I know we're not interested in doing that. Did we even dominate possession? I remember Leeds dominate possession in this game. They had plenty. We could've control the game by dominating possession and strong defense, killing the game but the fact we couldn't against two supposedly shit teams seems to suggest there are problems... or we're just not good at it. That's embarrassing. We should've killed the game so much so they gave up but they didn't because of how easy attacking through our crap defense is so the hope to score is there. Our finishing is again terrible. Should've score more in both games. Other teams have better defense and won't let us had those many chances.

The league is crap this season, and thankfully we hit increasing good form as the other teams are turning crap. Our standards are still so low, I don't see the need to be happy about it. I do feel content of course so far. Surely this team could and should go more than this.

This kind of thread pop up every time we get "amazing results", I believe it's called reactionary thread or something.
Do you think we would have 14 shots on goal if we didn’t exploit the space they left behind? This was a match where we punished them to the max with fast direct vertical play when we had the ball, exploiting their weaknesses. We had 14 shots on goal they had 3. If we wanted to win the possession stats, we could easily have done that, but that would have resulted in a much less flattering result. We dominated the shit out of‘em, and this was easily the best approach to this game.
If this wasn’t a dominant performance, I don’t know what is. Would you rather have us play LVG-ball again insisting on letting them have all their players behind the ball before trying a vertical pass?

Last edited:

Dominos

R'hllor

explain it to me then.
Whats there to explain, there is % of fan base thats Ole in regardless, same goes with Ole out, all of that has feck all to do with supporting United.

You can see it in JM acolytes brigade. The amount of drivel, excuses they spouted during his time to defend him but now they dont use same logic/standards for Ole, instead they just sit in shadows, waiting a moment to pop their heads and join wave of others expressing their issue with Ole the manager. You can also sense their presence in JM thread.

I mean wtf we even talk about here, we had a poll 81% for and 19% against JM as next United manager, people came out openly and said how they are JM fans, fans of a guy who has no connections to United and who took few titles away from us. I can garantee if Ole gets a sack one day, we gonna watch similar stuff if the next guy isnt someone that people rate/like w/e.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
We've scored the 2nd highest amount of goals in the league. When was the last time that was the case?

And yet we spent all summer trying to buy an attacking player for £100 million or so. Imagine if we fixed our defence and had the 2nd best goalscoring record in the league. Instead we sold one of our best CBs and didnt replace him

Thats whats crap. We ended last season 3rd best. We could have pushed on, we havent.
Going for Sancho isn't the problem. In fact when we play at a tempo, we can create and waste chances for fun. We have young defenders coming through. Our biggest problem is concentration. We can help our defence by not only defending from the front but also being more clinical in front of goal. We're not that far off really but Sancho would create such a buzz. As a team we have to defend better and we can but also Sancho would give us the best attack in the league and one that's very youthful. It might seem overkill, but for me United should be looking to have the best English talent. When someone like Sancho comes available, we have to be in the mix.

TrustInOle

Brilliant post and well said @sammsky1

Goes to show how much our lack of preparation affected us. 5 points off top with a game in hand and 9 points better off than last season. Continual improvement. :devil:

criticalanalysis

Very happy to be embarassingly and shamefully proven wrong at the end of the season about my criticisms of Ole if we continue like this because at the end of the day, all we want, is for Utd to be the best it can.

However, this reeks of Whoop Whoop Tactical Masterclass mark 2 and that 'ended' with going out of the CL group stages. Enjoy the high, I certainly am but don't die on the sword.

Kyonn

Anyone know what the PL table looks like since Ole took over and since Bruno was bought?

The United

I would not worry too much about defense giving up 2 goals in this game. Not that we don't have issue to fix, but it was a fun game for our team.

It was ok to lose the shape or concentration for a few instances while your team is going forward and creating chances at will with a few goals up ahead early. It is quite normal in high scores games.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Mourinho is having a renaissance at Spurs
Ancellotti has reinvented Everton
Hasenhuttl is a Klopp regen
Lampard has the most stacked squad of quality players in league
Pep is Pep and personally trained Arteta

Ole is a PE teacher, had the worst but unavoidable start to a season in living memory, he doesn't know how to coach patterns of play, nor make timely substitutions and acts like a coward during games watching his 10 inch monitor.

And yet here he is, above all these managers, 3rd in the league and unbeaten in ages and scoring goals for fun, and yet in all honesty we are still to hit our stride like the teams and managers above have done.

Just imagine what happens if Ole gets this team truly playing like his vision. What a great job he is doing.
Totally agree. Love watching this team grow right before our eyes. The melodramatic Twitter fans and their constant negativity can suck it.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Whats there to explain, there is % of fan base thats Ole in regardless, same goes with Ole out, all of that has feck all to do with supporting United.

You can see it in JM acolytes brigade. The amount of drivel, excuses they spouted during his time to defend him but now they dont use same logic/standards for Ole, instead they just sit in shadows, waiting a moment to pop their heads and join wave of others expressing their issue with Ole the manager. You can also sense their presence in JM thread.

I mean wtf we even talk about here, we had a poll 81% for and 19% against JM as next United manager, people came out openly and said how they are JM fans, fans of a guy who has no connections to United and who took few titles away from us. I can garantee if Ole gets a sack one day, we gonna watch similar stuff if the next guy isnt someone that people rate/like w/e.
Who are the they who speak about?

I want Ole to stay here, atleast untill the end of the season. That doesn’t mean I ever virtually sucked mourinho off Or use pathetic things against him that I wouldn’t Ole or vice versa.

Our form is up there with the best in the league, we’re scoring goals, playing well and points are looking good. I think a lot of our fans need to grow up comparing support for the manger with agendas or ball sucking

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
We are out of the CL because

1. Matic didn't realize he was the last defender
2. Martial missed an easy goal vs PSG
3. Cavani was unlucky his chip shot vs PSG didn't go in, missed by an inch
4. DeGea should have saved 1 of 3 goals by PSG and RB
5. Ole got the tactics wrong vs RB
steep learning curve and I think we are still on the up. If one more player fully steps up and shares the major creative burden with Bruno then we actually have a decent chance. We really need to capitalise on Bruno’s form!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

We've scored 2nd most goals in the league, with a game in hand. We're obviously doing something right.

Also, when has one of these bragging threads ever not come back to bite us in the arse? :lol: can't we save the gloating until we're a little more secure?

TrustInOle

Second highest scorers in the league with a game in hand on most suggest otherwise. Yes our home form wasn't great before today but lack of preparation has obviously had an affect. I personally don't think it's a madness comment, we are dangerous everytime we go forward.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Surprised we're that high up the table. If he win our game in hand we're only 2 points behind leaders Liverpool - crazy considering how much better their performances has been than ours.

TrustInOle

Micky Targaryen

Dumb reactionary thread again by the usual suspect. Hopefully his plan to call out Ole outers doesn’t backfire again.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It's interesting how the Ole Out mob tells people that we cannot get carried away when we just won 6-2. One swallow does not make the summer.

And yet when United loses a match, its Ole OUT! 'Not good enough.' 'PE teacher'. 'It's sad how far our club has fallen.'

hungrywing

We are out of the CL because

1. Matic didn't realize he was the last defender
2. Martial missed an easy goal vs PSG
3. Cavani was unlucky his chip shot vs PSG didn't go in, missed by an inch
4. DeGea should have saved 1 of 3 goals by PSG and RB
5. Ole got the tactics wrong vs RB
I agree with the sentiment in this post. The CL exit was by finer margins than has been widely regarded. Even #5 is a potential learning opportunity for Ole, a-la 'next time just go for it so you don't have any regrets'.

Put together with our running league performance; then depending on one's perspective, we could be 'around about as far as Ole can take us'.

But the other thing we look like is a team on the cusp of a breakthrough.

Red_toad

Nice run of games, first the worst team in the league, followed by the worst defence in the league. I’ve still no idea how we‘ll perform from 1 game to the next.