g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

3rd but we are supposedly crap

Kyonn

Nice run of games, first the worst team in the league, followed by the worst defence in the league. I’ve still no idea how we‘ll perform from 1 game to the next.
They're unbeaten in 6. I think that counts as some level on consistency.

wrepdrep

Supports
AC Milan
It's pretty funny how quickly things can change.

A few months ago you were topping your CL group after having destroyed Leipzig and PSG, but you didn't get the credit you perhaps deserved because the awful league results were seen as the true reflection of the team.

Pass forward a month or two and you failed to even make it out of the group stage but you're 3rd in the league, with one game in hand that could take you just 2 points off the top spot.
Now it's the CL results that accurately reflect on the team.

Icemav

Sure but as we've seen the past couple of seasons consistency is one of our main weaknesses. We had a good spell last season and the amazing first set of games when Ole took over, but other than that we were pretty bad. Thats our cycle. So theres a high likelyhood we dont keep this up, that will be the real test of progress
Yup. And overall peeformances easiest to judge at the end of the season.

el3mel

The Sammsky special, gloat after a good result and disappear once the jinx hits and we go tits up.
It's a little bit of a shame. He was a good poster at one point that I enjoyed talking with but now he is becoming a troll. Hard to take him seriously anymore.

Denis' cuff

The Sammsky special, gloat after a good result and disappear once the jinx hits and we go tits up.
a United fan on a (supposedly) United forum enjoying a win

somebody needs to tell him this forum is for moaning and complaining about the team and manager

Gasolin

PE teacher, no tactics, not even vibe, no character, headless chicken, etc...

The usual speech I guess.

The United

It's pretty funny how quickly things can change.

A few months ago you were topping your CL group after having destroyed Leipzig and PSG, but you didn't get the credit you perhaps deserved because the awful league results were seen as the true reflection of the team.

Pass forward a month or two and you failed to even make it out of the group stage but you're 3rd in the league, with one game in hand that could take you just 2 points off the top spot.
Now it's the CL results that accurately reflect on the team.
Pretty much this.

TrustInOle

Stay out of their threads then? People can't even enjoy it when we do something good anymore without putting a negative twist on things. There is too much negativity rifling through here as it is.

Gasolin

Just wanted to make you understand that us currently sitting 3rd or 2nd means nothing.
It certainly means we are consistent? Last season we have 17 pts at 9th, this season we have 26 pts at 3rd, it’s a massive improvement. And we haven’t even played the game in hand.

Gasolin

:cool:Getting carried away?
That’s a stupid argument from Hasselbank. So in his mind the 2007 2008 team was not dominant enough so even if we trashed teams and won PL and CL, it wouldn’t count? That’s clueless at his best. Let him see how teams are going to freak out against United this season.

Gasolin

It was in the 2nd half of last season, the only time we had any form
Yeah but we need it over 38 games. This is why the current performance is important. We need to keep doing that until MD 19 and see where we stand.

TrustInOle

They have a point though, the Ole in/ out agenda going around is tiresome and generally leads to negativity from both sides. Even today, trying to have a civil conversation with a poster and his reply was basically " Your name says Ole in so you can't see a balanced view"

As I said, it's a trend from both sides, but @sammsky1 has; 1/ a right to support how he feels so, and 2/ whether you want Ole gone or not, I would prefer posts and threads like this over posters claiming they want us to lose just to get the manager sacked.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The thread he made during the CL about beating PSG and Leipzig was always made too early and was just asking for it to go to shit.

This thread is fine, and a welcome change to the negativity that pervades this place so often these days. The reality is that we're coming up on 12 months now where we've been arguably the form team of the league, yet the media and posters on here constantly go on as if everything is falling apart and all these other teams are so much better. It didn't matter that basically every team that was still in the European competitions at the end of last season started the season poorly (even the one-horse league teams like PSG and Bayern), the fact that we did the same meant we were utterly dreadful and was used as a stick to beat Ole with. I'm not even 'Ole In' but that was obviously ridiculous. I have my doubts whether he's the man to take us forward but he's obviously done far better than some people make out, and likewise some of our players get absolutely shit on for a short periods of poor form despite being consistently one of our best only a couple of months ago. That over the top negativity is tiring.

cyril C

Don't get too excited. We are currently 26 points after 13 games, which means 2 points per game, which is about the minimum point requirement for a Top 4 team, but nowhere near fighting for the top spot. Liverpool has 31 / 14 = 2.2 points per game, which is the minimum requirement for any realistic glory hunter. 90+ points mean 2.4 points per game, unless you believe 85 points is enough to win the league. Nevertheless a good progress.

jackal&hyde

We are in the title race, feck the haters in the media that don't want to give OGS any credit but still praise Arteta. It's up to us to sort the defense and it could be a great season.

tjb

That’s a stupid argument from Hasselbank. So in his mind the 2007 2008 team was not dominant enough so even if we trashed teams and won PL and CL, it wouldn’t count? That’s clueless at his best. Let him see how teams are going to freak out against United this season.
TBH he never won titles

meamth

Me and @sammsky1 have the same habit of disappearing when we're having bad results. :nervous:

Then comes back here again to gloat if we won.

Gasolin

Me and @sammsky1 have the same habit of disappearing when we're having bad results. :nervous:

It's alright, I enjoy the peace of the cafe when we win.
And when we are doing well enough in the league.
Granted, only 13 games, but the closer we get to MD 19, the closer we will get to the assessment of how our season is.
And hopefully, hopefully, knock on the wood, we are going to be thrilling this season.
Get the lads hyped for it!

Sereques

We won't win the league because the team ahead is more experienced and consistent. It's just laughable how the media calls for Ole to be sacked after every loss, and other managers are praised and/or excuse when they lose games.
Ole is a young manager that is learning on the job, UCL was a brutal lesson for him, and I'm sure he learned a great deal from it. He gets down to do his job and sticks to his beliefs. I still remember the pressure the media puts on him and still putting in regards to VDB.
Ole is building his squad while learning on the job. Ole is a manager that deserves all the time in the world because I'm very sure he will get us there.

But this microwave generation wants instant results. It's very difficult to be a Manchester United manager, experienced ones have failed. If Ole is English, the entire Sky and Talksport will be blowing him every day.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

None of you have to justify yourselves tbh, the more you gloat about these things, the better it is tbh. The pb is that a lot of our fans are stuck in positions and they're not ready to move from them under any circumstances, things can evolve, things can change, this is football, it's not politics. The most important thing is Utd getting good results.

McTerminator

Don't get too excited. We are currently 26 points after 13 games, which means 2 points per game, which is about the minimum point requirement for a Top 4 team, but nowhere near fighting for the top spot. Liverpool has 31 / 14 = 2.2 points per game, which is the minimum requirement for any realistic glory hunter. 90+ points mean 2.4 points per game, unless you believe 85 points is enough to win the league. Nevertheless a good progress.
Numerous times has the league been won with 80 points and even 75 points. If you want to be negative and try and suck all the joy out of our current run then don’t pretend you have some amazing statistics backing your point of view.

If you don’t want to get carried away that’s fine, but if others want to positively view the potential for being within 2 points of the title after 13 games then who are you to stop them.

meamth

None of you have to justify yourselves tbh, the more you gloat about these things, the better it is tbh. The pb is that a lot of our fans are stuck in positions and they're not ready to move from them under any circumstances, things can evolve, things can change, this is football, it's not politics. The most important thing is Utd getting good results.
Cheers mate. I'll always support United. Win or lose, it's the process since Ole was appointed I'm happy about.

Remember the LVG, Mourinho and Moyes days, that were terrible, the team isn't United in harmony and spirit. This team right now, is the individuals I want to support, so many likeable bloke.

kouroux

Cheers mate. I'll always support United. Win or lose, it's the process since Ole was appointed I'm happy about.

Remember the LVG, Mourinho and Moyes days, that were terrible, the team isn't United in harmony and spirit. This team right now, is the individuals I want to support, so many likeable bloke.
Most important thing is being fair, whether it's in praise or criticism

meamth

Most important thing is being fair, whether it's in praise or criticism
I'm always fair to criticism. I've criticized Martial, Pogba, heck even Bruno this season.

It's the knee jerks I'm always fighting with sammsky.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I think we’ve been burnt enough times to know that whilst we are capable of some tremendous results and fight backs, we are also equally capable of not showing up when it matters.

Either way, let us appreciate and cherish each match on its own merit rather than jump to conclusions or broad assessments based on single games and performances.

At the end of the day, I’m pretty sure all of us (even Ole outers) would be ecstatic if Ole is indeed able to mastermind a legitimate turnaround of fortunes for our great club!
Have you seen this place after we drop points? We are currently at 6/7 wins in the last 7 league games, that could be called a purple patch or a false dawn or whatever, but our league form in 2020 is right up there with Liverpool.

Yet, we are always just one bad game away from us being crap and Ole is back to being a clueless PE teacher.

kouroux

I'm always fair to criticism. I've criticized Martial, Pogba, heck even Bruno this season.

It's the knee jerks I'm always fighting with sammsky.
Personally I don't get it why some fans go out of their way to find negatives in a great 6-2 win, nitpicking like that takes ridiculous effort. Even as someone who doesn't rate OGS in general, I have to give him his deserved praise, his tactics were spot on. Too many fans find it hard to have nuanced opinions.

Josep Dowling

Numerous times has the league been won with 80 points and even 75 points. If you want to be negative and try and suck all the joy out of our current run then don’t pretend you have some amazing statistics backing your point of view.

If you don’t want to get carried away that’s fine, but if others want to positively view the potential for being within 2 points of the title after 13 games then who are you to stop them.
Be positive if you want. Can’t see this league being won by 80 points or less though. Liverpool are just too strong.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
The thing is, I still feel like we could improve more than nearly every other team in the league...

If we can win the next few games in particular, we have a real chance (Leicester, Wolves, Villa are all tough opponents coming up). If we win them, or get say 7 Points, surely the board has to take a risk in January?

If we were to finish the season say less than 10 Points off the winners, I'd hate to be left wondering: "What if we just got those couple of extra good players in January?" There has to be room when we could move on Lingard, Rojo, Jones and Ighalo.
This. If you look at this first XI

--------------------------Hendo (23)-------------------------------
AWB(23)--Lindelof(26)--Maguire(27)--Shaw(25)
--------------Fred(27)----McTomminay(24)--------------
--------------------------Bruno(26)--------------------------------
--Mason(19)---------Martial(25)-------Rashford(23)

The average age of a premier league winning squad is usually between 25-26 years old, the average age of that first XI is 24,3. Now normally a league winning team mostly puts out a mix of youth and experience and they have a couple of young fringe players who mostly sit on the bench but still drags the average squad age significantly down. In our case though, (DDG aside) its the older players who are fringe players.

As an example, the average age of the starting XI's of Liverpool and City last season was 27,2 and 27,8 and Liverpools key players for example are mostly around 28-29 years old, so imo that particular XI will probably have their peak years from next season onwards. If we recruit well (and young) the coming windows we could end up with a very capable young squad on our hands

croadyman

How many points do we need to be within when we go to Anfield out of interest

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Few days back I read few posts saying how none of our players will get into Spurs starting 11 and only concession was Bruno. Now we are above them in the table with game in hand and also scored more goals than them. Ole must be a genius working with midtable shit talents.

georgipep

Sure but as we've seen the past couple of seasons consistency is one of our main weaknesses. We had a good spell last season and the amazing first set of games when Ole took over, but other than that we were pretty bad. Thats our cycle. So theres a high likelyhood we dont keep this up, that will be the real test of progress
And a the same time we're the best club in the country since Feb. Too lazy to write it all again, so see my previous post with the data.

Yes, I do feel that. We have been the best team since February, not the whole calendar 2020, my apologies for the wrong information in my previous post.

Since GW 26 last season up till today, here's the table:
TeamGamesPoints
Manchester United2657
Liverpool2757
Manchester City2653
Chelsea2647
Tottenham2747
Leicester2740

Last 10 games:

TeamPoints
Manchester United23
Liverpool22
Manchester City19
Chelsea, Southampton, West Ham, Leicester, Tottenham18
Wolves17

Last 5 games:

TeamPoints
Manchester United13
Liverpool, Manchester City11
Everton, West Ham10
Leicester9
Burnley8

We have trouble in the starting minutes of our games. That has been pretty obvious. And I'm sure the coaching staff are addressing that problem.

meamth

This. If you look at this first XI

--------------------------Hendo (23)-------------------------------
AWB(23)--Lindelof(26)--Maguire(27)--Shaw(25)
--------------Fred(27)----McTomminay(24)--------------
--------------------------Bruno(26)--------------------------------
--Mason(19)---------Martial(25)-------Rashford(23)

The average age of a premier league winning squad is usually between 25-26 years old, the average age of that first XI is 24,3. Now normally a league winning team mostly puts out a mix of youth and experience and they have a couple of young fringe players who mostly sit on the bench but still drags the average squad age significantly down. In our case though, (DDG aside) its the older players who are fringe players.

As an example, the average age of the starting XI's of Liverpool and City last season was 27,2 and 27,8 and Liverpools key players for example are mostly around 28-29 years old, so imo that particular XI will probably have their peak years from next season onwards. If we recruit well (and young) the coming windows we could end up with a very capable young squad on our hands
It feels like we have some way to go. Either wait them to grow or sign a couple of established players.

I'd wait for another season. Getting 2nd or 3rd is good enough for me as long we're comfortably challenging.

reelworld

Once again we dont need our attack improved. Its been one of the best in the league and it was our strong point last season

We do need our defending and defensive record improved
I'd argue a better defense would lead to even better attack as United would be able to play higher and quicker up the pitch