5 stabbed in Dublin | 3 of them children

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
On thing is Covid fueled the creation and subsequent growth of a permanently aggrieved, conspiratorial protesting class who move from issue to issue with little coherence but lots of pent up anger.

Another thing is Covid really changed the atmosphere of Dublin's city centre. Dublin is a little different from most other capitals I've experienced in that the traditional working-class inner city areas are located extremely close to the central commercial and tourist areas - in fact they overlap in many places, and many people - "native" Dubs, migrants, yuppies, etc. - live together right in the centre of town. Pre-Covid this created quite a nice diverse vibrant mix, but with the lock-downs the worst element of the traditional working-class communities - basically comprised of the type of bored, troubled teenagers in the 12-17 age group that you see running amok in these videos - kind of took over the streets while everyone else - bar the homeless/drug addicted - stayed in. I was living and working right there during that period and had a couple of moments where I felt unsafe in my own city for the first time in my life.

Finally, the Garda are extremely demoralized and understaffed. There is next to nothing they can do to seriously punish the youngfellas who rack up dozens or even hundreds of convictions before the age of 18, and many have moved on to other careers since 2020.
Thanks a lot. It's truly sad to hear.

It's also the first time I see Covid making such a dramatic impact and lasting impact on the centre of a big city.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I was in Dublin not long ago and saw this weapons grade thundercnut:

I imagine he’s loving this situation.

Rooney24

Honest question here, but is there no riot police??

Would have thought the would have been on the streets long before this point

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
FFS :lol: that’ll show em lads.

Thanks a lot. It's truly sad to hear.

It's also the first time I see Covid making such a dramatic impact and lasting impact on the centre of a big city.
Ah I don’t want to put you off. Dublin is still very safe and most of the city centre is grand. It’s really just these few areas. Weirdly they just happen to be very central areas, unfortunately. But that’s on the government and council for letting these scumbags piss about there. Overall todays events shouldn’t detract from the fact that Dublin is one of the worlds safest capital cities to visit, for the most part.

Conor

Didn't know this was happening til I went on Twitter a few minutes ago. Fecking hell.

I read that it's folks on Telegram groups fomenting this. I went and took a look, they're basically filled with glee at all this.
I saw a recording of a whatsapp group called 'kill all immigrants' with voice messages calling people into town and giving them instructions on how to behave. fecking mental stuff.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Ah I don’t want to put you off. Dublin is still very safe and most of the city centre is grand. It’s really just these few areas. Weirdly they just happen to be very central areas, unfortunately. But that’s on the government and council for letting these scumbags piss about there. Overall todays events shouldn’t detract from the fact that Dublin is one of the worlds safest capital cities to visit, for the most part.
Nah, you won't.

I have a distant cousin who lives in Dublin and she never complained about the city. On the contrary.

Dr. StrangeHate

How many immigrants are there in Ireland?

Do the protesters have legitimate grievances about immigrants in Ireland?

Raven

Nope. We've taken in a lot of refugees which has worsened a pre-existing housing crisis. As with all dumb cnut racists, they're just looking for someone to blame for their own failures.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
My mates a detective and he's told me that an Algerian man living here a while did it and that it looks like one kid won't make it. A Brazillian lad saved it from getting worse by intervention. What a hero.

The scum bags rioting are different altogether. These scum are a result of the revolving door justice system where little Johnny has 67 convictions and that's ok as he had a hard life.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Drew Harris will have to step down after this, it's bad enough that he's pushed through a change to the English system that has statistically failed and the Garda have already had a vote of no confidence in him over schedule change that has caused plenty to quit.

Abraxas

Nope. We've taken in a lot of refugees which has worsened a pre-existing housing crisis. As with all dumb cnut racists, they're just looking for someone to blame for their own failures.
Why are they doing that if they already have what you're describing as a crisis which presumably leads to homelessness for some Irish people?

You're saying "nope" that isn't a cause for grievance but of course it is a cause, if you have nowhere to live or very poor standards of accomodation that is without a doubt cause for grievance by it's very nature and I'm sure you would feel that way in that predicament.

People should have an expectation that their elected government works for them and one of those responsibilities is ensuring housing stock is available.

Massive Spanner

We have the highest % of foreign nationals per capita in the EU, unsurprisingly (wealthy, English speaking). We also took in a much larger % of Ukrainians than every other EU country, again, probably because we are English speaking and have lots of employment options. But no, it really hasn’t been an issue here other than exasperating an already chronic housing shortage and population growth we haven’t been able to keep up with. That’s the governments fault, though.

Wolverine

That’s so sad to hear. Central Dublin was such a lovely place when I lived there. Vibrant, welcoming and full of life.
me too. A lot of foreign students live in the city centre. Feel for what some might be feeling there tonight

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

2022 data:

Worth noting that (as per data from 2021) we're one of the few EU countries where the majority of our foreign nationals are other EU citizens.

Raven

Why are they doing that if they already have what you're describing as a crisis which presumably leads to homelessness for some Irish people?

You're saying "nope" that isn't a cause for grievance but of course it is a cause, if you have nowhere to live or very poor standards of accomodation that is without a doubt cause for grievance by it's very nature and I'm sure you would feel that way in that predicament.

People should have an expectation that their elected government works for them and one of those responsibilities is ensuring housing stock is available.
I AM in that predicament so please don't try lecturing me.

It's clear as day that capitalism and corruption is the cause of these problems but the the media and the far right are pointing the finger at foreigners as fecking usual.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

The refugees coming into the country aren’t being accommodated in (and obviously aren’t buying or renting) the type of property that Irish residents need. In fact, most of them are being shipped to parts of the country where the housing crisis isn’t an issue. The problem we have is an imbalance of supply and demand pushing prices too high. Refugees aren’t in any position to fuel these price hikes.

Dr. StrangeHate

2022 data:

Worth noting that (as per data from 2021) we're one of the few EU countries where the majority of our foreign nationals are other EU citizens.
Are the protests against immigrants in general or just the non-caucasions?

Netherlands elected a far right leader despite having just 7% immigrants.

Abraxas

I AM in that predicament so please don't try lecturing me.

It's clear as day that capitalism and corruption is the cause of these problems but the the media and the far right are pointing the finger at foreigners as fecking usual.
You're certainly emotional about it but I wasn't lecturing you.

I'm not pointing fingers, I'm asking the question of whether it's reasonable to expect an elected government to look after the people's of the nation by ensuring there are sufficient homes and sufficient quality of homes as a priority.

Raven

You're certainly emotional about it but I wasn't lecturing you.

I'm not pointing fingers, I'm asking the question of whether it's reasonable to expect an elected government to look after the people's of the nation by ensuring there are sufficient homes and sufficient quality of homes as a priority.
Yes, that's an absolute priority. Which the government have been failing on long before the refugee crisis.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
2022 data:

Given the top two are tax havens, I imagine that percentage inflated by people being in those country for monetary reasons.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I thought Ireland was quite progressive, compared to the U.K. anyway. This reaction would be causing raised eyebrows if it were in Wolverhampton, never mind Dublin

Massive Spanner

I thought Ireland was quite progressive, compared to the U.K. anyway. This reaction would be causing raised eyebrows if it were in Wolverhampton, never mind Dublin
More progressive than the country that oppressed us for 800 years? Dunno pal.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
He's a fecking idiot and unfortunately there's a lot of other fecking idiots who lap this kind of shit up. Most of the ones rioting tonight fit into that category.
22 hours ago he was tweeting about Ireland being at war. Does anyone actually call him out on this fecking bollocks or does it just get laughed off? It’s clearly dangerous as we’re seeing.

Raven

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Are the protests against immigrants in general or just the non-caucasions?

Netherlands elected a far right leader despite having just 7% immigrants.
Anti-immigrant generally, but with the sort of racist overtones and dog-whistles that inevitably mean focus on people from certain areas of the world more than others. Though obviously the influx of people from Ukraine recently has made them a focus too.

Though the bulk of the actual rioters tonight appear to be opportunistic scumbags rather than people I would think of as committed far-right protestors.