5 stabbed in Dublin | 3 of them children

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
How prevalent is the far right in Ireland politics currently?
Non-existent. Not yet anyway, thankfully.

It's actually likely that our next Government will be quite left wing. It's paradoxical that this is going on while the country is on course to shift the left in the next election, in the form of a Sinn Fein government.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not very. They’re consistently a non-event at the polls. They barely even have a political party to coalesce behind. But there’s a nasty undercurrent of xenophobia and racism that’s been building over the last few years. Same as every other country basically. Comes with the territory in an economic downturn. Only without the political clout you get in other countries.

caid

How many immigrants are there in Ireland?

Do the protesters have legitimate grievances about immigrants in Ireland?
These weren't protesters but in a wider sense the answer is still no.
There's legitimate grievances (like the state of policing) but its a completely misguided target. The services they lack are generally being held together by immigration.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Non-existent. Not yet anyway, thankfully.

It's actually likely that our next Government will be quite left wing. It's paradoxical that this is going on while the country is on course to shift the left in the next election, in the form of a Sinn Fein government.
Not very. They’re consistently a non-event at the polls. They barely even have a political party to coalesce behind. But there’s a nasty undercurrent of xenophobia and racism that’s been building over the last few years. Same as every other country basically. Comes with the territory in an economic downturn. Only without the political clout you get in other countries.
Interesting.

At least there is no party of note which the cnuts can get behind.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It barely exists politically for several reasons, the largest probably being the fact that Sinn Fein swallows a lot of the oxygen that fuels far-right parties in other countries.

Brophs

The One and Only
Anyone else find it suspicious that @moses hasn’t been around today? Big Canada Goose fan I hear.
Maybe he’s out on the streets of Dublin treating them the same as the posters in the Gen: screaming at them for not showing an unwarranted level of positivity.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
So odd that the mensas who are protesting immigrants in their country are destroying the infrastructure of their own country.

Not too many rocket surgeons in that bunch. w

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
... Who have been facing horrific racist attacks themselves lately.
Yeah they’ve been on the frontline for the last three/four years facing the deterioration of the city head on.

Oranges038

Watching this on the news. Most of the gowls on the streets are standing just there taking selfies.

But it looks like for the most this is mostly young scrotes who used the incident today as an excuse to wreak havoc and get christmas sorted before the culchies arrive on the 8th to take all the good stuff.

mu4c_20le

So odd that the mensas who are protesting immigrants in their country are destroying the infrastructure of their own country.

Not too many rocket surgeons in that bunch. w
My first thought watching them torch the police car was that their parents would be paying for the new one.

Oranges038

My first thought watching them torch the police car was that their parents would be paying for the new one.
How? Most of them are probably on the dole, some will have picked up a few knocks today and they'll be going looking for disability next week.

Raven

They're a political non entity for now but there's been a real rise in nastiness towards foreigners since the start of COVID. I think a lot of people have been led down the garden path by the far right with issues like anti vax, anti mask, anti tras, etc.

There's always been casual racism in Ireland though, I remember sitting in art class as a 17 year old and one of my teachers commented on one of my class mates tans after the summer holidays, saying she had a lovely colour. My class mate responded (to my teacher) "ya, I'm like a n*****". To which my teacher replied "ya, hahaha". My mind was blown, having just moved back from England where that would have been an expulsion.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Of all the nations in the world, it's the Irish who are against immigration?

Who would have thought.
I don’t think I’ve ever met a person who’s against immigration in and of itself. Only nativist nutters live in that particular gutter.

One of the real questions to ask is what’s an acceptable level of immigration, and how does one determine that? It’s a matter of fact that Ireland has experienced a level of immigration over the last 15 years or more that it has never experienced before in the history of the state and…the nation itself. Indeed immigration hasn’t ever been a feature of Irish life.

So when you have that new ‘phenomenon’ mixed with the serious housing crisis others have mentioned then there’s going to be trouble unfortunately.

Brophs

The One and Only
Heh, immigrant stops immigrant perpetrating horrendous crime. What're ye rioting for lads?

I'll bet it fecking hurts to get walloped with a motorcycle helmet.
I’ve no doubt it would but there was no need to call him a helmet.

DickDastardly

I don’t think I’ve ever met a person who’s against immigration in and of itself. Only nativist nutters live in that particular gutter.

One of the real questions to ask is what’s an acceptable level of immigration, and how does one determine that? It’s a matter of fact that Ireland has experienced a level of immigration over the last 15 years or more that it has never experienced before in the history of the state and…the nation itself. Indeed immigration hasn’t ever been a feature of Irish life.

So when you have that new ‘phenomenon’ mixed with the serious housing crisis others have mentioned then there’s going to be trouble unfortunately.
Nah, you don't have to explain it to me. I'm fully aware of the shit going on.

It's just that little bit of historical self acknowledgedment could come in handy.

You cnuts nearly abandoned the fecking island 200 years ago looking for a better life, and now some are wondering why are others coming to Ireland.

That's the funny bit.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Striking how often people who intervene in incidents like this genuinely seem to think they just did what anyone would do, when in reality a lot of people would freeze.
I'm betting most of the knuckle draggers "protesting" tonight first instinct would be to whip out their phone and start filming.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Saw a lovely video of some cretins attacking Deliveroo drivers tonight. Not a hope of any of them doing something like that.
To be fair there's been times when I've wanted to attack the deliveroo driver when they've "gone offline" and appear again, 20 minutes later 5 miles further away from my house.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Of all the nations in the world, it's the Irish who are against immigration?

Who would have thought.
Nah, you don't have to explain it to me. I'm fully aware of the shit going on.

It's just that little bit of historical self acknowledgedment could come in handy.

You cnuts nearly abandoned the fecking island 200 years ago looking for a better life, and now some are wondering why are others coming to Ireland.

That's the funny bit.
Are you trying to wum?