6 dead including 5 children, in Oklahoma shooting

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout

fecking heartbreaking. Reports coming out are sketchy at the moment and have changed twice since I first read this. Truly sickening.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Murder-suicide?

It’s only a matter of time until we start hearing more & more of these on a routine basis.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Just awful :(

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Murder-suicide?

It’s only a matter of time until we start hearing more & more of these on a routine basis.
A woman survived so she will be able to shed some light on the events.

The article suggests some odd love triangle or maybe a family disagreement. The main shooter is in custody but is not cooperating.

Whatever, 5 poor children yet again caught up in someone else's bullshit.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
A woman survived so she will be able to shed some light on the events.

The article suggests some odd love triangle or maybe a family disagreement. The main shooter is in custody but is not cooperating.

Whatever, 5 poor children yet again caught up in someone else's bullshit.
‘If only the woman was armed...’ is the phrase many necks will be beginning with today.

Deery

Dreary
A cynical swipe at how some influential ‘pundits’ on the right classified those who were involved in the Sandy Hook & Parkland massacres.
Thought you were on about Sandy Hook just wasn’t sure, poor kids anyhow.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I'm desensitised.

If this happened in the UK I'd be horrified but in the US its inevitable and that's horrible to say.

A lot of people have blood on their hands

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Five young children and their dad it seems, what a terrible tragedy - the poor mum will have to bear that grief. The suspect has been named in the press. He was a young man in his 20s who was living with the family.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This isn't the time.

Kids again ffs.
When is the time, though? I’m completely desensitized to it as well. Nothing’s going to move the needle on this regardless if the normal platitudes are delivered or not.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
When is the time, though? I’m completely desensitized to it as well. Nothing’s going to move the needle on this regardless if the normal platitudes are delivered or not.
You shouldn't be desensitised to little children being massacred, no matter how often it happens. This isn't a mass shooting of random strangers, in any case.

Deery

Dreary
You shouldn't be desensitised to little children being massacred, no matter how often it happens. This isn't a mass shooting of random strangers, in any case.
I agree with you Penna it actually makes me quite sad reading this..

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Not now.

And "being desensitised" is not an excuse. You should still and very least have empathy.
It’s not as though I don’t have empathy for those involved. This is a legitimate tragedy. I’ve just seen how this will play out politically too many times in my country. The fact that abhorrent behavior like this isn’t adequately dealt with each time is unconscionable.

This will unfortunately be just another disappointing statistic at the end of the day.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
It’s not as though I don’t have empathy for those involved. This is a legitimate tragedy. I’ve just seen how this will play out politically too many times in my country. The fact that abhorrent behavior like this isn’t adequately dealt with each time is unconscionable.

This will unfortunately be just another disappointing statistic at the end of the day.
And just shrugging your shoulders is going to do what?

Sorry mate, I'm not trying to dig at you here I get the feeling of powerlessness. But I also hate people saying they are "desensitised" as if that's some excuse for being able to read the news and then just moving on. It's as if the recent fecking mess you lot haven't just found yourself in couldn't be more of an indicator that people can rise up and change the course of your country...

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I used to live a couple blocks away. It’s always weird when you can feel a more direct connection to it.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
And just shrugging your shoulders is going to do what?

Sorry mate, I'm not trying to dig at you here I get the feeling of powerlessness. But I also hate people saying they are "desensitised" as if that's some excuse for being able to read the news and then just moving on. It's as if the recent fecking mess you lot haven't just found yourself in couldn't be more of an indicator that people can rise up and change the course of your country...
In many cases, change is something that can come when needed. Unfortunately, this isn’t one of them & hasn’t been for decades. Who knows, the death knell of the NRA might help to break up this lunacy, but when a right prescribed by a piece of paper is routinely discussed as ‘god given’ & is one of the main thrusts of the delusion on the right, we are probably going to see more instances of mass death of children before we don’t.

We’ve had an amazingly barren streak of school shootings, etc. recently, thanks in some part to Covid. But the fetishistic adoring of guns in this country, especially in the uneducated, religious, rural parts, means that uprising against such by sane thinking citizens just isn’t going to do anything. The politicians that represent these mental deficients are just as culpable for instances like this as the trigger pullers are. They allow for this insanity to maintain itself.

We couldn’t get shit accomplished in 2014. We couldn’t get shit accomplished in 2018. This unfortunately won’t accomplish anything. The right will just become further entrenched & emboldened.

Wonder how many ‘thoughts & prayers’ platitudes have already come from the MTGs of the American political landscape?

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
In many cases, change is something that can come when needed. Unfortunately, this isn’t one of them & hasn’t been for decades. Who knows, the death knell of the NRA might help to break up this lunacy, but when a right prescribed by a piece of paper is routinely discussed as ‘god given’ & is one of the main thrusts of the delusion on the right, we are probably going to see more instances of mass death of children before we don’t.

We’ve had an amazingly barren streak of school shootings, etc. recently, thanks in some part to Covid. But the fetishistic adoring of guns in this country, especially in the uneducated, religious, rural parts, means that uprising against such by sane thinking citizens just isn’t going to do anything. The politicians that represent these mental deficients are just as culpable for instances like this as the trigger pullers are. They allow for this insanity to maintain itself.

We couldn’t get shit accomplished in 2014. We couldn’t get shit accomplished in 2018. This unfortunately won’t accomplish anything. The right will just become further entrenched & emboldened.
Shit got accomplished last election though. People can rise.

Wonder how many ‘thoughts & prayers’ platitudes have already come from the MTGs of the American political landscape?
We both know the answer to that. Too many.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
These things are always bad. Even worse when it’s kids. feck guns. There’s just no need for them in society.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Absolutely horrible. How much coverage will this get in the States though? I thought Sandy Hook would be the big wake up moment but sadly here we are again talking about kids being murdered. I know there's a world of difference but after the shock of Dunblane we had folk lining up to hand in their firearms. It just feels weird that this seems like an alternate reality.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Shit got accomplished last election though. People can rise.

We both know the answer to that. Too many.
Yes, there was some success had politically recently, but when incidents like Sandy Hook & Parkland don’t galvanize the entire political spectrum into doing something effectively to limit or eliminate these atrocities, it’s difficult to envision what will do so.

Sandy Hook & Parkland were just tips of the icebergs. Go back thirty years & there are dozens of mass casualty events involving adolescents. This isn’t a recent phenomena by any stretch nor can it be blamed solely on the current political tenor of the right. Pearl, Columbine, Aurora, etc., these tragedies have spanned decades with disturbing frequency & failing response.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Absolutely horrible. How much coverage will this get in the States though? I thought Sandy Hook would be the big wake up moment but sadly here we are again talking about kids being murdered. I know there's a world of difference but after the shock of Dunblane we had folk lining up to hand in their firearms. It just feels weird that this seems like an alternate reality.
This won’t move the public needle one iota, unfortunately.

We may see a few days’ coverage, but that will be all.

MarylandMUFan

Watching the national news right now (ABC World News Tonight) are 2/3 done and have not even mentioned it. Coverage of the 2 FBI agents being killed serving a warrant to a child predator but nothing so far on the Oklahoma shooting. They covered the space x launch issue, Covid problems with the KC Chiefs football team but not a shooting of an entire family.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Watching the national news right now (ABC World News Tonight) are 2/3 done and have not even mentioned it. Coverage of the 2 FBI agents being killed serving a warrant to a child predator but nothing so far on the Oklahoma shooting. They covered the space x launch issue, Covid problems with the KC Chiefs football team but not a shooting of an entire family.
It happened overnight, so a lot of the ‘Breaking News’ aspect was lost due to timing (no clue if it even registered as breaking news last night). But I have not seen anything on MSNBC or CNN since the thread was started (which alerted me to the tragedy). Speaks volumes.

MarylandMUFan

It happened overnight, so a lot of the ‘Breaking News’ aspect was lost due to timing (no clue if it even registered as breaking news last night). But I have not seen anything on MSNBC or CNN since the thread was started (which alerted me to the tragedy). Speaks volumes.
Yeah, I didn't know about it until this thread as well. It's lost on the CNN website as well (it's on the front page but there are 20 news items above it). Just pathetic how normal this is.