63% of Liverpool squad "asthmatic" - any substance to this article?

Relevant

I've heard it all now :lol: .....the MAIN reason that we're shite and City/Liverpool are better than us is that our doping isn't as good as theirs.

As long as we can all sleep soundly basking in the glow of this absolute and irrefutable knowledge. :nervous:

Oranges038

Meh, I think this impression people have that they always look fresh and play high energy football is just a myth built up by people who don't watch them closely.

Klopp has been rotating this season; they played a second string in a CL quarter final just this week. And they have had a lot of games over the last couple of months where they have looked the opposite of fresh but they still manage to grind out results.

It's lazy analysis. People could have said the same thing about us under SAF. "How do Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez, Rio, Evra etc. look so fresh week in week out despite never being rested?".
Think the same myself. He has added quality in depth and rotated quite a bit, but I think a massive part of it is in their game management, they are very rarely fighting to the very end of a game trying to get a result over the line or get a late winner.

I've watched them on numerous occasions where they went a couple up and just cruised through the rest of the game without breaking a sweat. Like they did against Utd. It makes a huge difference overall when you can basically play half a game at your own pace most weeks. It's not surprising that they still look fresher than most.

BerryBerryShrew

I heard before that testing parameters for performance enhancing drugs in professional football are woefully inadequate and that most of the tests that are performed are done to catch recreational drug use as opposed to PED's.

Cocaine use is utterly rampant among under 35's these days and pro athletes have a lot of money and time on their hands (and below average intelligence in their heads). I would guess that a lot of players are being pinged for coke and it is so widespread that it is being ignored. I'd also guess that PED use is rampant (EPO or some derivative would make sense in the era of hyper pressing teams) but that it is rarely being picked up by tests in the first place.

Fuentes was the name of the doctor who openly admitted to juicing the top players in La Liga. Not only was it chosen to ignore or disregard his claims, but when potential evidence was recovered from his labs (blood samples from professional players) the Spanish legal authorities gave permission to destroy it. They were aware that if it was tested then the legitimacy of Spain's World Cup win in 2010 (along with their Euro's wins in '08 and '12) would be discredited.

Football's a funny old game really.

Reactions: oates

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I've heard it all now :lol: .....the MAIN reason that we're shite and City/Liverpool are better than us is that our doping isn't as good as theirs.

As long as we can all sleep soundly basking in the glow of this absolute and irrefutable knowledge. :nervous:
We need a head of doping along with a Pfizer sponsorship as our official doping partner

arthurka

I heard before that testing parameters for performance enhancing drugs in professional football are woefully inadequate and that most of the tests that are performed are done to catch recreational drug use as opposed to PED's.

Cocaine use is utterly rampant among under 35's these days and pro athletes have a lot of money and time on their hands (and below average intelligence in their heads). I would guess that a lot of players are being pinged for coke and it is so widespread that it is being ignored. I'd also guess that PED use is rampant (EPO or some derivative would make sense in the era of hyper pressing teams) but that it is rarely being picked up by tests in the first place.

Fuentes was the name of the doctor who openly admitted to juicing the top players in La Liga. Not only was it chosen to ignore or disregard his claims, but when potential evidence was recovered from his labs (blood samples from professional players) the Spanish legal authorities gave permission to destroy it. They were aware that if it was tested then the legitimacy of Spain's World Cup win in 2010 (along with their Euro's wins in '08 and '12) would be discredited.

It wasn't just footballers it was more or less the whole uprising in Spanish sports, tennis, basketball, track and field ect so it was actually a big deal.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club

Vs

One of these guys looks like he's under the effects of some kind of drug.

padr81

Supports
Man City
They're all on peds, Liverpool, City, United, Juve, Real, Stevenage, San Marino FC.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
United use smelling salts pre match, caffeine pills is a well known pre match routine for most professional clubs as are Jaffa cakes bizarrely!

PEDs are most definitely in use, Leicester were one of the biggest users during their title winning season, the evidence was swept under the carpet.
Love how many comments I'm reading like this, presented as pure fact.

I'd be amazed if doping wasn't in football. I highly doubt it's swept under the carpet though.

Relevant

IIRC the drummer from Frankie Goes to Hollywood was known as Ped, and he was a big Liverpool fan.

Case closed.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
They're all on peds, Liverpool, City, United, Juve, Real, Stevenage, San Marino FC.
There were genuine suspicions about this Liverpool side long before these rumours surfaced. The inhuman ability to prevent injury or fatigue from ever becoming a factor is as impressive as it gets. Impressive and slightly odd? Ditto the City squad but not quite to the same extent.

I wouldn't concern yourself with this stuff anyway. It's unlikely enough evidence will come to light to prosecute, same for City regularly cooking the books. It would have done so by now had that not been the case.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yea this is my problem with what you said, and its how misinformation so easily happens. It doesn't say he RAN 13.7km, he just moved that much. Carrick used to top our distance travelled statistic often, he didn't run much.
You’re taking it too literally. Nobody thinks he ran 13.7km. Over 90 mins that would work out at a very underwhelming 6mph.

It’s compared to other distance covered stats and 13.7km is high. It’s more useful used in conjunction with the number of high intensity sprints stats though.

Crashoutcassius

The fuentes stuff and the fact that pep was caught doping in Italy is just totally ignored.

It may not be the same as it was 15 years ago, but that era was rotten.

Hammondo

You’re taking it too literally. Nobody thinks he ran 13.7km. Over 90 mins that would work out at a very underwhelming 6mph.

It’s compared to other distance covered stats and 13.7km is high. It’s more useful used in conjunction with the number of high intensity sprints stats though.
How do you know no one things its running after you wrote "ran"?

" for example a few years ago where Bernardo Silva ran like 13km and was still going at the end of the game with perfect passing and dribbling."

Carrick has done similar.

Withnail

The fuentes stuff and the fact that pep was caught doping in Italy is just totally ignored.

It may not be the same as it was 15 years ago, but that era was rotten.
I can't imagine it's gotten any better. Dopers just get cleverer and more sophisticated and half of what's going on probably hasn't been made illegal yet. Footballers playing like spring chickens into their late 30s raises massive alarm bells for me, regardless of any of the talk of advances in Sports Science.

padr81

Supports
Man City
There were genuine suspicions about this Liverpool side long before these rumours surfaced. The inhuman ability to prevent injury or fatigue from ever becoming a factor is as impressive as it gets. Impressive and slightly odd? Ditto the City squad but not quite to the same extent.

I wouldn't concern yourself with this stuff anyway. It's unlikely enough evidence will come to light to prosecute, same for City regularly cooking the books. It would have done so by now had that not been the case.
In fairness the City evidence is out there. I think peds will eventually come to light for everybody but as a side note, I think eventually all sports will just legalize them as the testing is always playing catch up. I don't think there are many professional athletes in any discipline who aren't abusing something. Half the amateur boxing club I regularly visit are and the u14's are already on supplements (a different debate I know).

Last edited:

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
They're clearly cheating, they're actually training throughout the week, eating right and using tactics. Absolutely disgusting.

They should follow our lead, and honest club. Just rock up on matchday and do whatever the feck ya want.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
In fairness the City evidence is out there. I think peds will eventually come to light but as a side note, I think eventually all sports will just legalize them as the testing is always playing catch up. I don't think there are many professional athletes in any discipline who aren't abusing something. Half the amateur boxing club I regularly visit are and the u14's are already on supplements (a different debate I know).
They will never legalize PED's mate, not until they create one that doesn't come with severe side-effects. Anabolic steroids for example have known risks such infertility, breast growth, prostate cancer, liver cancer, among numerous other nasties. It's even worse for women.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

" for example a few years ago where Bernardo Silva ran like 13km and was still going at the end of the game with perfect passing and dribbling."

There’s a basic level of understanding assumed for these discussions.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Teams are bound to be the first into stuff, before other teams catch up.
Wenger was big on creatine wasn't he?

The most interesting thing is the article this thread was based on. Someone wrote pre last season that Liverpool would finish nowhere because their cycle was at the end of its run and there was too little time between games.
May have been a lucky guess and made it up totally, or it may have been much more down to having no centre backs or crowds, but it was interesting how it was called so early.

The asthmatic thing should he much easier to get to the bottom of the truth.
It's very hard to accept pro athletes being "asthmatic". Back at school the asthmatic kids were the chubby kids who were literally out of breath walking. Not super fit pro athletes!

KeanoMagicHat

Not arsed with this sort of pedantry. It was a season high stat and I remember seeing it was out of the ordinary at the time. I’m just giving stats to the eye test. The eye test was that Bernardo was fecking everywhere that game and barely made a technical mistake, playing at a far higher tempo than Carrick ever did.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Yeah the past 11 pages are all based on some crappy source and people saying things like "I can just sense they are on drugs, I'm positive about it"
:lol:

They're clearly cheating, they're actually training throughout the week, eating right and using tactics. Absolutely disgusting.
Nailed it :lol:

padr81

Supports
Man City
They will never legalize PED's mate, not until they create one that doesn't come with severe side-effects. Anabolic steroids for example have known risks such infertility, breast growth, prostate cancer, liver cancer, among numerous other nasties. It's even worse for women.
I hope so but people just don't tend to care and I dunno if its the same for you (I believe you work or worked in the fitness industry or it was someone I had some great arguments with on here) but it just seems to be growing as far as I can see.

Eli Zee

Na. Asthma is very convenient when you need legal access to certain substances on the doping list. Having a squad full of players diagnosed as asthmatics is a carbon copy of the cycling's 101 for dopers.
Just like in the UFC you used to be able to claim your testosterone levels were too low, get TRT (testosterone replacement therapy), and then dominate all fighters because you had literal legal steroids. There's a reason TRTitor was a nickname for Victor Belfort in the Mma community.

but I mean there should be someway to track just exactly players became asthmatic, right? Were they asthmatic as minors, for previous teams, just Liverpool, etc?

Last edited:

padr81

Supports
Man City
Just like in the UFC you used to be able to claim your testosterone levels were too low, get TRT (testosterone replacement therapy), and then dominate all fighters because you had literal legal steroids. There's a reason TRT vitor was a thing, among other fighters.

but I mean there should be someway to track just exactly players became asthmatic, right? Were they asthmatic as minors, for previous teams, just Liverpool, etc?
I think the strongest excuse is never diagnosed. Most players and I imagine the same at Liverpool I bet have exercise induced asthma (which is a pretty high percentage in society) but particularly in elite athletes. I think its something like 25% though don't quote me. Liverpools numbers (if true) seems exceptionally high but basically if 1 in 4 of us pushes ourselves hard enough we have it too.

cj_sparky

United use smelling salts pre match, caffeine pills is a well known pre match routine for most professional clubs as are Jaffa cakes bizarrely!

PEDs are most definitely in use, Leicester were one of the biggest users during their title winning season, the evidence was swept under the carpet.
Rio didn't even hide it :nervous:

Mooza

Supports
Arsenal
Drug testing in football is a joke. Do you ever wonder why you never hear of footballers being banned for taking PEDs. Drug testing in Athletics is not perfect but Athletes are caught and publicly banned yearly. Football it’s completely quiet. It’s the most lucrative sport in the word and PED’s would have obvious effects on performance levels of players but either nobody is taking them or nobody is being banned.
Liverpool energy levels during games, their fitness and recovery the last 4 years has been ridiculous. That season where they got 97 points and finished a point behind City and were winning match after match at the end was especially ridiculous. Pressing like crazy nearly every second match after match with the same players.
It’s not just them obviously and not just this sport ( looking at you Tennis) City, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich are very suspicious too.

Last edited:
Reactions: oates

Orange Tree

Cheaters the lot of them. They just need some medical conditions to get access to some substance.

Hope ETH brings his own doctor with him.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

I'd be amazed if doping wasn't in football. I highly doubt it's swept under the carpet though.
I can only go by leaked documents and a doctor that has evidence of performance enhancing drugs used by multiple clubs including Leicester.
But of course that evidence would open a can of worms and bring the league crashing down.
So it was swept under the rug.
It's only not 'factual' because those at the top refuse to believe it, despite tangible evidence to the contrary

MUFC OK

Transparency is leading word. Or lack of it. Same as when we discuss VAR and referees.

Why are they not giving out names of players involved is the main question? Why is it important to hide facts?
“Medical exemption” probably provides anonymity, when in reality the ease at which club doctors can give the exemptions is a joke. They just sign a piece of paper and no questions are asked.