7 points clear after 19 games...

Ole'sbodyguard

Is a very strong position to be in at this time of the season having played the same number of games as City.

While last season shows that no lead is unassailable, you would have United as strong favourites to go and lift the title from such a position. Every good side Fergie has produced would have relished having such a lead with trips to Merseyside, Stamford Bridge and the COMS all out of the way.

Things look promising on the title front going into 2013.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
If the league was over 21 games we would have won the title by now!

Someone should do something.

The White Pele

46 points from the first half of the season in which we have played away at City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Everton is a very good return. The only concern would be that City can concentrate on the league after Christmas whilst we have Europe to think about but it's a great position to be in. There's no doubt about that.

Ludens the Red

The problem this side seem to have is complacency. In fact we generally seem to take our foot off the gas when we get a bit clear at top. It happened in 2009, 2011 and of course last year. I don't know why it happens but anytime there's a chance of us opening up a big lead, a complacent peformance pops up and we lose a game we shouldn't. It's still wide open IMO.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
I have a feeling Chelsea will still have a major part to play this season. the whole thing will change between now and the end of the season, City will be top at some point.. hopefully not for long though! It aint all cut and dried yet. The way United are playing be prepared for a few heart attacks..... but then I suppose United have always played like that!

Ole'sbodyguard

46 points from the first half of the season in which we have played away at City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Everton is a very good return. The only concern would be that City can concentrate on the league after Christmas whilst we have Europe to think about it but it's a great position, no doubt.
I think City having no European distractions is a big bonus in their favour as well. I also could see them going on a long winning streak with the players they have at their disposal rather than fizzle out.

Like you say though, 7 points clear with the away games we have had to deal with and to have won at SB, Etihad and Anfield, is a very strong position to be in.

Chabon

46 points after 19 games is probably the second best we've ever had, but I'd have to check to be sure. We had more in 2006, but I can't think of any other season with such a strong first half results-wise.

2red4U

I have a feeling Chelsea will still have a major part to play this season. the whole thing will change between now and the end of the season, City will be top at some point.. hopefully not for long though! It aint all cut and dried yet. The way United are playing be prepared for a few heart attacks..... but then I suppose United have always played like that!
this

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Being 7 points clear having played at....

Everton
Liverpool
Chelsea
Norwich
City
& Swansea

.... is a very promising position to be in, City still have to go to 3 of those grounds as well as OT. Still plenty of tricky away games to come though (in fact nowadays there's less and less guaranteed 3 points grounds left in the PL)....

Arsenal
Spurs
Fulham
Stoke
Sunderland

..... all being the hardest ones although again City need to go to 2 of those themselves

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
7 points is a nice lead at this stage, we have also played our three toughest games: Chelsea, City and Liverpool, all away. However, we have spunked a 12 point lead before and the 8 point meltdown last season means that I am not getting excited just yet.

Chelsea might bring in Falcao in the January window and City can reinforce, it seems to be Mancini's usual way of dealing with his failings.

Dante

Average bang
The problem this side seem to have is complacency. In fact we generally seem to take our foot off the gas when we get a bit clear at top. It happened in 2009, 2011 and of course last year. I don't know why it happens but anytime there's a chance of us opening up a big lead, a complacent peformance pops up and we lose a game we shouldn't. It's still wide open IMO.
It'd happen with any team, to be fair.

The gap will almost certainly be smaller 6 weeks from now, with both City and Chelsea catching up.

But the same would happen if City had a 7 point lead right now as well: we'd dig deep and catch up while they'd take their eyes off the ball slightly.

Football seasons are like that. It's very rare for the top team to stay focused and just run away with it, especially when they're fighting on several fronts.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The gap to be bigger after the weekend imo 9 points
If Chelsea can win at Norwich City almost certainly will, plus they scored 6 when they went there last season

As long as we win I'll be happy with 7 points going into the new year

rio's upper lip

Being 7 points clear having played at....

Everton
Liverpool
Chelsea
Norwich
City
& Swansea

.... is a very promising position to be in, City still have to go to 3 of those grounds as well as OT. Still plenty of tricky away games to come though (in fact nowadays there's less and less guaranteed 3 points grounds left in the PL)....

Arsenal
Spurs
Fulham
Stoke
Sunderland

..... all being the hardest ones although again City need to go to 2 of those themselves
I'd argue that Spurs and Arsenal are the only away games we can't reasonably expect 3 points from, but each of the remaining away games presents different challenges themselves. This is a tough league, and every away game is difficult in its own way. We'll be big favourites in all the other away games, but we'll drop plenty of points on our way to the end of the season. That's football.

The White Pele

Yeah they are looking strong at the moment. They have away games with Everton and Stoke in their next few PL fixtures though so hopefully one of these two could take the steam out of them.

Playing catch up as they are they can't afford to have many off days.

7dan

Its getting tickly now–squeaky-bum time, I call it
If Chelsea can win at Norwich City almost certainly will, plus they scored 6 when they went there last season

As long as we win I'll be happy with 7 points going into the new year
Every game is different tho, Norwich are sticky customers, Holt is due a goal and city are in poor form.

I agree main thing is we win, 7 points going into new year :drool: 9 points is just being greedy

RK

They don't have to manage their squad with Europe in mind, but City's best player will shortly be unavailable for (hopefully) a few weeks.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
I would've been fairly satisfied if we are 2 points behind the leaders, provided we haven't played them yet. 7 points ahead? Time to be thankful.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Me too.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I just can't be confident of anything with that midfield.

We basically played without a midfield today, and it didn't work, even at home to a Newcastle team in poor form and with half a reserve side out. If they had any organisation about them they'd have picked us off fairly comfortably.

Then Cleverley came on and we suddenly created about 5 million chances in 15 minutes.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header

We basically played without a midfield today, and it didn't work, even at home to a Newcastle team in poor form and with half a reserve side out. If they had any organisation about them they'd have picked us off fairly comfortably.

Then Cleverley came on and we suddenly created about 5 million chances in 15 minutes.
Do you accept now noods that much of the 'problem' with Carrick is being partnered by players with no movement? Just look what happens when Cleverley comes on - it's like someone's given him his spinach.

Not to retread the argument about whether he was as shit as you say he was early on. I don't think we'll agree on that. But in general, it's hard for him to do his job when there's no-one for him to pass to (except Valencia) and no-one else covering breaks.

paceme

Golly Gilmore
“What’s the matter, lager boy, scared you might ta

It's Christmas, which means lots of games, the only reason why Giggs and Scholes probably started today was so we can play at full strength against a stronger West Brom.

It worked so why are you moaning, I would think the need for rotation is obvious

Ludens the Red

It'd happen with any team, to be fair.

The gap will almost certainly be smaller 6 weeks from now, with both City and Chelsea catching up.

But the same would happen if City had a 7 point lead right now as well: we'd dig deep and catch up while they'd take their eyes off the ball slightly.

Football seasons are like that. It's very rare for the top team to stay focused and just run away with it, especially when they're fighting on several fronts.
Is it though? Dortmund did it, Chelsea, Barcelona, Inter. If we're good enough to get ourselves in this position (obviously we'll kind of ignore some our performances) we should be good enough to sustain it. That's the challenge. Fighting in other competitions is a possible excuse, I don't like it.

Where were you today? Scholes and Giggs were in midfield and you were nowhere to be seen. The jokes won't tell themselves you know.

Revan

Assumptionman
Great position, especially considering that we have played away at City, Chelsea, Pool, Newcastle and Everton. Don't forget the three billion injuries.

After Christmas the myth says that we play better. While not necessarily true, I think that this happens more often than not. If we can manage to get the same points as we get in the first half of the season, we will get 94 points which will bring us the No.20 title. Too bad that other teams (City and Chelsea) are not in UCL, but on the other side 3 last times we won the title we were in UCL final too.

Anyway, the title hasn't been won yet. Anyone who says that title is won or lost in Christmas is a fool. But we are in a very good position. City's mercenaries seems totally demotivated, while Rafa's Chelsea although looked good vs Villa I can bet that will go in a negative run of games. I am very positive about us winning the title, and believe me or not, I won't rule a good surprise in UCL (especially if Barca becomes generous and somehow gets itself eliminated.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
I think us still being in CL gives us a advantage of sort. United usually are at their best when the schedule is tight and the matches important and the two matches vs Real will give extra energy and focus to the players instead of focusing on the same old league grind week after week that the City mercenaries already seem tired of.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Do you accept now noods that much of the 'problem' with Carrick is being partnered by players with no movement? Just look what happens when Cleverley comes on - it's like someone's given him his spinach.

Not to retread the argument about whether he was as shit as you say he was early on. I don't think we'll agree on that. But in general, it's hard for him to do his job when there's no-one for him to pass to (except Valencia) and no-one else covering breaks.
I do agree entirely, but I don't think I ever didn't. I just thought that earlier in the season he was playing like shite either way. Since the Reading game he's been excellent.

It's completely dumb how obvious it is. It's not just that Carrick needs a mobile midfield partner. It's just that in general, if you're only going to have two players in the middle, they both have to be mobile. Carrick covers the ground just fine when he isn't trying to cover someone elses, and drooling from his zombified mouth in confusion.

It's Christmas, which means lots of games, the only reason why Giggs and Scholes probably started today was so we can play at full strength against a stronger West Brom.

It worked so why are you moaning, I would think the need for rotation is obvious
It didn't work. I'm not moaning too much. It made for a daft couple of hours, but it definitely didn't work. We fell behind 3 tmes to an awful team and had to change our midfield around in order to scramble desperately for a winner we could easily not have got.

The issue is creating a situation where you need to use Giggs and Scholes in the same midfield in the first place. It wasn't a good idea to do this anymore 3-4 years ago. It still wont be a good idea when we end up having to do it again in a month or so.

Plechazunga

I do agree entirely, but I don't think I ever didn't. I just thought that earlier in the season he was playing like shite either way. Since the Reading game he's been excellent.

It's completely dumb how obvious it is. It's not just that Carrick needs a mobile midfield partner. It's just that in general, if you're only going to have two players in the middle, they both have to be mobile. Carrick covers the ground just fine when he isn't trying to cover someone elses, and drooling from his zombified mouth in confusion.
:lol:

I wonder how we can get this through to Fergie. Turn up in his house dressed as the Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come, looking suspiciously like Tom Cleverley?

Or how about getting a bunch of former United CMs together, in a Blues Brothers getting the band back together sort of way... Paddy Crerand, Bryan Robson, Ray Wilkins... and just threaten not to leave until he stops doing it.

paceme

Golly Gilmore
“What’s the matter, lager boy, scared you might ta
It didn't work. I'm not moaning too much. It made for a daft couple of hours, but it definitely didn't work. We fell behind 3 tmes to an awful team and had to change our midfield around in order to scramble desperately for a winner we could easily not have got.

The issue is creating a situation where you need to use Giggs and Scholes in the same midfield in the first place. It wasn't a good idea to do this anymore 3-4 years ago. It still wont be a good idea when we end up having to do it again in a month or so.
Most of the problems today were caused by shoddy defending, by our defenders. Rio gave the ball away about 5 times at point blank range and then preceded to just hoof it up field. This obviously meant that Evans had to run about like crazy making up for Rio's crazy performance. Smalling was like a statue for most of the game, he only seemed to think tackling or making an effort to get the ball was appropriate when they were in the box.

It's just a lazy thing to point at picking Scholes and Giggs every game where it doesn't go perfectly. I don't want them starting most games, but in a situation like today it would of worked fine if the defenders did their job, and no, it wasn't because 'they had no protection' it was because they played like a bunch a retarded chickens.

noodlehair

"It's like..."

I wonder how we can get this through to Fergie. Turn up in his house dressed as the Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come, looking suspiciously like Tom Cleverley?

Or how about getting a bunch of former United CMs together, in a Blues Brothers getting the band back together sort of way... Paddy Crerand, Bryan Robson, Ray Wilkins... and just threaten not to leave until he stops doing it.
:lol: Nah, he'll just start picking them ahead of Anderson and Cleverley aswell.

I refuse to believe he can't see what's going on. I think he's just trying to get away with it in certain games, but for some reason keeps picking stupid games to try it in, or faffing around with the rest of the team at the same time.

Another silly team will emerge from the tunnel against West Brom. I'd almost put money on it. I still remember NYE last year, watching the players come out of the tunnel without at that point knowing the line up, and knowing instantly that despite Michael Carrick being the only midfielder to walk out, he wasn't going to be playing in midfield. This is not something anyone should ever be able to say.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle

I would've suggested actually playing Sir Bobby Charlton and Bryan Robson in a midfield two for 20 minutes in the match vs West Brom.

But that would most likely lead to him spending the post match interview talking about how he "couldn't understand why our tempo fell for the last 20 minutes".

Plechazunga

:lol: Nah, he'll just start picking them ahead of Anderson and Cleverley aswell.
True! I should have thought of that.

What then? Manufacture a chewing-gum brand called 'Don't Play Giggs and Scholes together Especially Not In A 4-4-2'?

I refuse to believe he can't see what's going on. I think he's just trying to get away with it in certain games, but for some reason keeps picking stupid games to try it in, or faffing around with the rest of the team at the same time.

Another silly team will emerge from the tunnel against West Brom. I'd almost put money on it. I still remember NYE last year, watching the players come out of the tunnel without at that point knowing the line up, and knowing instantly that despite Michael Carrick being the only midfielder to walk out, he wasn't going to be playing in midfield. This is not something anyone should ever be able to say.
He's surely doing it because he needs to rest Cleverley and Anderson as often as possible and doesn't think Fletcher's up to it. But I still don't see why he can't at least play them in a 3 if he's going to do it.