7 points clear after 19 games...

MrMojo

7 points ahead and only being chased by a team that's struggling for form and squad wise worse than it was last season. I think it's over already.

MrMojo

Really? Wow.
Yep, if we were being chased by quality I wouldn't be confident, but thankfully we're not. We'll drop random, stupid points, but it's assure thing they will too.

If we let this slip after last year, to a City team that's only decent, we need to give up.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
We've let slip similar leads much much later in the season....You'd have to be mad or stupid to think it's in the bag. We got burnt last season. It can happen this season. One game at a time

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
7 points means feck all at this stage. Anyone in the league can score a couple against us at the moment. Even at home. I mean it's exciting but only a fool would be handing us garlands at this stage.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Yep, if we were being chased by quality I wouldn't be confident, but thankfully we're not. We'll drop random, stupid points, but it's assure thing they will too.

If we let this slip after last year, to a City team that's only decent, we need to give up.
You're a United fan? If nobody gave up after last seasons disaster finish then it just goes to show that they'll never give up. Blow it this season, and they'll be back again the next. There is no alternative.

MrMojo

You're a United fan? If nobody gave up after last seasons disaster finish then it just goes to show that they'll never give up. Blow it this season, and they'll be back again the next. There is no alternative.
Oh it's not war you know, 'give up' is just a saying.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
7 points ahead and only being chased by a team that's struggling for form and squad wise worse than it was last season. I think it's over already.

Are you that chap who set up a thread last year about how title number 20 was in the bag
:lol:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
To be fair what someone says on a football forum obviously has no bearing over what happens on the pitch. It can make us, the RedCafe society, look like a bunch of cretins if it ends up like last year, but that's about all the harm it can inflict.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
7 points really isn't much of a lead at this point in the season, particularly when our defence is so much worse this year than it has been in previous seasons. If RvP and Rooney were to pick up a few injuries we might struggle, if Carrick got injured we'd struggle even more. Plus we have a Champions League campaign to deal with, City don't.

Having said that, City don't look much of a threat at the moment. If we don't manage to win the title this year it'll be a massive disappointment.

Brightonian

It's in our hands. I won't be really confident until we come into some good solid form though, because whilst we're as shaky and inconsistent as this, anything can happen. There were seasons, and United sides, that would have made a 7 point lead at Christmas look very solid indeed. For this one, as exciting as it is to watch and as much as yet unproven potential as it has, 7 points is not nearly enough to feel comfortable yet.

As has been said over and over again, we dropped 8 last season in the space of a few games.

NM

Anyone see our fricking run-in? Stoke, City, Arsenal, Chelsea are all part of our last six games. All of of them on the bounce. This is not over.

Shark

@NotShark
Anyone see our fricking run-in? Stoke, City, Arsenal, Chelsea are all part of our last six games. All of of them on the bounce. This is not over.
On the bright side, we have done well in most of the big games so far. Away from home too.

It would have been worse if we still had to go to Chelsea and City away from home.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We play Chelsea and City at home which is a huge advantage. I know we lost to Chelsea in a key game at home in 2009-10 but generally I do feel confident about having both of them at home among the last few games.

Swaters16

We play Chelsea and City at home which is a huge advantage. I know we lost to Chelsea in a key game at home in 2009-10 but generally I do feel confident about having both of them at home among the last few games.
That and I'm confident we can win away at Arsenal and Stoke without too much trouble, we've also proven we're more than capable of winning against City. Chelsea will be difficult but we shouldn't lose and a draw isn't a bad result. A loss or two isn't really an issue though because City look like dropping a lot more points that we do.

Brightonian

Yup: the flip side is that they have us in their run-in, at Old Trafford.

NM

I know that coming to OT is the hardest game in the league, but I do worry - 1 bad result then can really knock confidence.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Chelsea are going to be tough and City will also be a tough battle. Both sides have quality players and even though form comes and goes those quality players if they click can give us a work out.

Chabon

We've let slip similar leads much much later in the season....You'd have to be mad or stupid to think it's in the bag. We got burnt last season. It can happen this season. One game at a time
We've let a similar lead go much later in the season. If last year hadn't happened everyone on here would be wildly confident with what is, after all, our third biggest ever lead after nineteen games and the biggest lead we've had at the halfway point for over ten yeas.

I've been saying we'd win the league with near-absolute certainty since we signed Van Persie (barring major injuries) so I'm hardly going to change now. Calm down lads, we're in an incredibly strong position.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
never mind the run in, let's put West Brom and Wigan away first, and then see if City have dropped any points.

ciderman9000000

never mind the run in, let's put West Brom and Wigan away first, and then see if City have dropped any points.
Wigan?! :eek: Never mind bloody Wigan, let's put West Brom away first! One game at a time!

I hate posts like this. We're the fans, not the players; we can look forward to whichever games we like, make all sorts of predictions and concentrate on various potential outcomes, at the end of the day it won't effect a thing. By all means advise the players to take one game at a time, they need to be fully concentrated on the upcoming fixture, but what the feck difference does it make to United if some of the fans aren't giving the West Brom game their maximum level of concentration?

MrMojo

Wigan?! :eek: Never mind bloody Wigan, let's put West Brom away first! One game at a time!

I hate posts like this. We're the fans, not the players; we can look forward to whichever games we like, make all sorts of predictions and concentrate on various potential outcomes, at the end of the day it won't effect a thing. By all means advise the players to take one game at a time, they need to be fully concentrated on the upcoming fixture, but what the feck difference does it make to United if some of the fans aren't giving the West Brom game their maximum level of concentration?
Exactly, I've been called a wum for saying that I think we've already won it. Are posters even engaging their brains, why or how are they getting wound up by me saying that their team will win the league?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Agree with cider and mojo, this one game at a time nonsense is ridiculous and it happens every year. We're not allowed to get carried away? It's football you pricks, we do that every fecking weekend! It really is just a case of blindly repeating what the manager/players have said. I don't think it's in the bag though. Our competitors really aren't very good at all but we've been far too shaky all season for me to feel confident. At some point our forwards will suffer from injuries and a lack of form and we'll need to rely on our defence to grind out a few results and I don't know if we have that in us at the moment.

MrMojo

It will get better defensively though, there's too much quality there for this to continue. I also think we're on a run of bad luck, every mistake or feck up seems to be getting punished at the moment.

Brightonian

It's a basic discomfort with hubris. Superstitious nonsense, yes, but it's hard to shake off.

EDIT: Agree with that MM. The thing that's making me most confident is that we've yet to hit top gear. You have to hope that it will happen at some point this season, and if we can lead by 7 without playing our best football for more than a half here and there, then the sky's the limit when our form kicks in.

MrMojo

Assuming they're fit, I'd give Jones, Smalling, Vidic, Evra a go. That looks very solid to me and should be nigh on unbeatable in the air. I really think we could be nine points clear come January.