737 Max - Boeing grounds the fleet after second crash | Production temporarily suspended

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!

Abizzz

Fair play to the russian having his revenge (he then went to prison and was released only 3 years later :lol:). Sounds like the perfect movie role for Liam Neeson.
What the flying feck? He's a murderer who's victim was a scapegoat for the ATC company. Fair play if you're a psycho.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
a 737 Max pilot on reddit

A report said that the reason the anti-stall system was added was because the modification from the older 737 to the new Max (mostly engines) changed the balance and aerodynamics of the aircraft, making the nose-up attitude (leading to stall) common. So it had to be "fixed" within autopilot with this software.

It's a red flag for me that the modification led to a major problem with the aerodynamics but was continued with, probably because designing a new fuselage would take half a decade and the competitor A320neo was running away with orders. I don't know if this is common on other aircraft variants (like A320->320neo/319/321 or 747 into its various configurations) but if it's not it seems quite shoddy.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
A report said that the reason the anti-stall system was added was because the modification from the older 737 to the new Max (mostly engines) changed the balance and aerodynamics of the aircraft, making the nose-up attitude (leading to stall) common. So it had to be "fixed" within autopilot with this software.

It's a red flag for me that the modification led to a major problem with the aerodynamics but was continued with, probably because designing a new fuselage would take half a decade and the competitor A320neo was running away with orders. I don't know if this is common on other aircraft variants (like A320->320neo/319/321 or 747 into its various configurations) but if it's not it seems quite shoddy.
Exactly a design flaw corrected by software? feck this I think i will have to change my flights

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
So I panicked and changed my flights today from an airline that was using 737 Max to a different one.

Abizzz

At this point I don't see any reason why that isn't rational. There's more than 10000 flightworthy jets that aren't any of these 350... and as long as one doesn't know the statistical likelyhood of what happened to those 2 flights you'd rather be safe than sorry.

I'd do the same if I were you.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Fair play to the russian having his revenge (he then went to prison and was released only 3 years later :lol:). Sounds like the perfect movie role for Liam Neeson.
"fair play" and lols about a man who murdered another man in front of his wife and kids.

What a disgusting post.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Weirdly the only new planes that have had issues in India are the A320neo with their engines, there were repeated problems on Goair/Indigo but nothing fatal.

kotha

Would they reveal it if it was Boeing's fault? or is it more likely to be covered up with a fix without being announced?

Enigma_87

You know who
Would they reveal it if it was Boeing's fault? or is it more likely to be covered up with a fix without being announced?
In 99% it is combinations of factors and never single culprit unless it's a manufacturer/part fault causing the crash. Very rarely we see design flaws that would cause a big Boeing or Airbus to go down. It's always combination of lack of training, maintenance, issue with design, pilot error or mishandling the situation and so on.

Probably we have to single out maintenance flaw as it was a brand new airplane. It's either component (sensor or something else) gone bust, lack of training of the crew or them mishandling the situation. Every component on an airplane is backed up by two other separate systems in a way that even with a faulty sensor the crew would be able to land safely.

We won't have an official version in few months time that's for sure, especially when you look at the crash site and how the plane disintegrated on impact.

We can only speculate but coming from this:

https://theaircurrent.com/aviation-...bulletin-on-aoa-warning-after-lion-air-crash/

and the flightradar24 data showing high alterations in altitude levels, goes to show the pilot was struggling with the plane(perhaps in manual mode).

If by any means those two end up related it would be a huge blow for Boeing no doubt.

Member 90887

That's messed up man, that's extremely messed up....

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Well, this hasn't become mass hysteria at all.
You disagree with the groundings Dwayne?

I found out that the TUI flights from Dublin are on 737-800's however I am not sure if that was the plan for the summer. It seems they may have to get a lot of older 737s on wet lease or just use other model planes.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
You disagree with the groundings Dwayne?

I found out that the TUI flights from Dublin are on 737-800's however I am not sure if that was the plan for the summer. It seems they may have to get a lot of older 737s on wet lease or just use other model planes.
Yeah, don't groundings typically originate from the NTSB when there is actual evidence of a significant fault? This seems like anti-vaxxers meets air travel, grounding by Twitter type stuff. Let those who have the knowledge and expertise make that decision. Symptom of the age we live in, I guess.