A discussion about Paul Ince

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I'm not sure how anyone who was in the throes of United fandom at that time could ever feel anything but affection for every one of that team. Everything that came after was swell but that first title? Gods, the lot of 'em.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I'm not sure how anyone who was in the throes of United fandom at that time could ever feel anything but affection for every one of that team. Everything that came after was swell but that first title? Gods, the lot of 'em.
The younger ones see him as the face of City in the beginnings of the oil boom, me, I remember 2 goals in Rotterdam and dozens of sumptuous volleys

cyril C

He was a classy player for sure. If Keane hadn’t stepped up so much I think the narrative around Ince leaving would have been different eventually.
You can throw in Scholes, Beckham, even the not so flashy Butt & Fletcher had managed to fill in the void when needed, hence Ince was never remembered. Not many people remember MaClair, Stapleton, Hughes neither.

Correction to myself. When we had Scholes 2.0, with Giggs + Scholes starting against City in that vintage shirt, or when Park + Rafael started as CMF, then I wonder why can't we find ANYONE capable...

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
You can throw in Scholes, Beckham, even the not so flashy Butt & Fletcher had managed to fill in the void when needed, hence Ince was never remembered. Not many people remember MaClair, Stapleton, Hughes neither.

Correction to myself. When we had Scholes 2.0, with Giggs + Scholes starting against City in that vintage shirt, or when Park + Rafael started as CMF, then I wonder why can't we find ANYONE capable...
!
Nor Peter Davenport and Garry Birtles!

gredanica

Im surprised the comments are so positive here, for someone who was always seen as a bit of a mediocre player even back in the 90s

Paul Ince was "fine" for Man Utd (and Liverpool) but that's about all you can say. Man Utd were not a good team in the early 90s and the English league as a whole was third rate. The EPL was light years behind the Italian league, and also quite a bit behind the Spanish and German. Being a good player in the English league in the 90s is kind of like being a good player in the French league today. Its just not a very good league.

Objectively Paul Ince is similar to the level of Gareth Barry or David Platt or Ray Parlour or Jordan Henderson. They are all "good" Premier League players and solid internationals but noone would really put them in the same tier as a Michael Carrick or Makelele, let alone a genuinely elite player like Scholes/Viera/Toure/Kante. At best all you can say about Paul Ince is that he "was okay". His medals cabinet reflects his career .

As a manager he is literal meme tier, like close to an Ole Gunnar Solsjaer who is more commonly referred to as the butt of a joke than a serious person. His attempts at race hustling work against him -- he genuinely believes in his head that being black is used against him, and is constantly in the media begging for jobs and using his race as a qualification, while also being one of the least successful black managers of all time and almost a walking advert against hiring them. An actual joke.

Last edited:

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Im surprised the comments are so positive here, for someone who was always seen as a bit of a mediocre player even back in the 90s

Paul Ince was "fine" for Man Utd (and Liverpool) but that's about all you can say. Man Utd were not a good team in the early 90s and the English league as a whole was third rate. The EPL was light years behind the Italian league, and also quite a bit behind the Spanish and German. Being a good player in the English league in the 90s is kind of like being a good player in the French league today. Its just not a very good league.

Objectively Paul Ince is similar to the level of Gareth Barry or David Batty or Jordan Henderson (even though the latter has won a million more medals). They are "ok" players but noone would really put them in the same tier as a Michael Carrick or Makelele, let alone a genuinely elite player like Scholes/Toure/Kante. At best all you can say about Paul Ince is that he "was okay". His medals cabinet reflects his career .

As a manager he is literal meme tier, like close to an Ole Gunnar Solsjaer who is more commonly referred to as the butt of a joke than a serious person. His attempts at race hustling work against him -- he genuinely believes in his head that being black is used against him, and is constantly in the media begging for jobs and using his race as a qualification, while also being one of the least successful black managers of all time and almost a walking advert against hiring them. An actual joke.
Oh boy, I hope you are good at keeping your head down, because this is about as an ill-informed post as you can get

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

Objectively Paul Ince is similar to the level of Gareth Barry or David Platt or Ray Parlour or Jordan Henderson. They are all "good" Premier League players and solid internationals but noone would really put them in the same tier as a Michael Carrick or Makelele, let alone a genuinely elite player like Scholes/Viera/Toure/Kante. At best all you can say about Paul Ince is that he "was okay". His medals cabinet reflects his career .

Really disagree with this assessment of Ince as a player. He was in no way regarded as mediocre in the 90s. He looked very comfortable playing in Serie A at its mid-90s peak because he was an excellent player. He was the midfield driving force behind our consecutive title-winning seasons in 92/93 and 93/94. Personally I hold him in higher regard than Carrick.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

He said...

"Whoever it is, win, lose or draw, you say pop in for a drink. Whether it's wine or tea it doesn't really matter. None of their staff did that so that was disappointing. I couldn't give a monkeys but I just pride it on myself, as a manager, whether or not you get beaten, you say come in for a glass of wine."

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Really disagree with this assessment of Ince as a player. He was in no way regarded as mediocre in the 90s. He looked very comfortable playing in Serie A at its mid-90s peak because he was an excellent player. He was the midfield driving force behind our consecutive title-winning seasons in 92/93 and 93/94. Personally I hold him in higher regard than Carrick.
Yes he was very good, I would say better than Carrick overall.

Tommy79

That's the one thing he omits now in interviews. He did spend that whole season threatening to move.

He may have been just bluffing while negotiating a new contract but it was not that big a suprise when he left
I wouldn't hold that against him, as everyone from keane (99) when he threatened to leave like rio did after we back his ass when he forgot about a drug test, and even rooney, the first two wanted more money, the latter wanted better players according to him.

I seem to recall that Ince wanted to go to Italy as Italian football was the place to be at that time. It was viewed as lack of loyalty to United especially considering the level of success he was gaining in Ferguson's team. He's remarks on his return to England to Liverpool were very disrespectful to a club that had given him so much success. Things like this is the reason he's not as highly regarded as eg Andy Cole.
Jesus H Christ, do people forget this is a guy who posed in our shirt while still at West Ham ? And people thought he had loyalty in his DNA.

Superden

have i missed the white text?
the likes of Hughes, Ince, Kanchelskis, werent elite players? nevermind Robbo.
oh feck, ive just read the last para with the race-baiting bs. im sorry but this is the most moronic take ive ever heard on anything the caf. and that takes some doing.

Terry Chango

You even edited this disaster of a post !
:lol:

Tommy79

Insulting another member

Let guess either (A) mammy dropped you on the head one time too many as a baby or (B) Daddy like to shake the feck out of you as a kid, as you don't seem to have much going on upstairs.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian

I am assuming this is joke right?

Moriarty

Tough as nails was Ince with the skill to back it up. Gave us that steel we needed after Robbo's career drew to a close about that time. And he ran in to back up Eric at Palace that night, offering to take on the Palace fans.

Tarrou

I think you over-cooked it with Ray Parlour, was quite convincing until then

pacifictheme

Used to do the giggs and Ince celebration in the back garden with my brother when I was a kid. Loved him and was gutted when him, hughes and kanchelskis left. Was obviously right for the club though looking back.

El Zoido

I loved him as a player for us, but he does come off as being quite unlikeable doesn’t he. Always seems to have a chip on his shoulder about something.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
My enduring image of Ince as a United player was him losing the ball just outside the opposition's box and then sprinting back the full length of the pitch to win it back on the edge of our own box. I can't remember who it was against but I remember being absolutely thrilled by his tenacity and will to win. He was a very good midfielder.

poleglass red

what a player. The Liverpool incident didn't earn him any favours and he was another who feel foul of Fergie post United, with the big time charlie label. Was good to see Fergie publicly regret that in later years when he faced Ince as manager.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Sacked. Now the wanker can get back into the studio and claim how he would be the perfect Man Utd manager.

jesperjaap

He did play in Serie A and had a good spell there and was also arguably the best player at Euro 96. I think the fact the richest league in the world at the time and one of its biggest clubs spent big on Ince says enough. One of the most under rated English players of all time in my opinion...he was a better player than Carrick let alone the other English players you mention, utter nonsense

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He did play in Serie A and had a good spell there and was also arguably the best player at Euro 96. I think the fact the richest league in the world at the time and one of its biggest clubs spent big on Ince says enough. One of the most under rated English players of all time in my opinion...he was a better player than Carrick let alone the other English players you mention, utter nonsense
I can't imagine anyone could argue this?
Not with Shearer in peak form and Gazza having wonderful moments too.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

This is a pretty mediocre post :lol:

You don't get a move to a United who have just become the best in the league, in the days of 15 or so in a squad by being mediocre.
Or being a regular for England before the days any English player with more than a season in the premier league is an automatic call up.
Or a huge move to Italy.

Keano put Ince into his team above Scholes for goodness sake.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Missed this first time round :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I don't think you'll be being asked back mate. Footy discussions aren't for you.

redmanx

Let guess either (A) mammy dropped you on the head one time too many as a baby or (B) Daddy like to shake the feck out of you as a kid, as you don't seem to have much going on upstairs.
"Not a good team in the early 90s?" 1990/91- EUFA Cup Winners, EUFA Super Cup Winners, Football League Cup Winners, Runners up in First Division.
"Not a good team in the early 90s?" Were you living in a cave? 1990/91 - EUFA Super Cup Winners, European Cup Winners Cup Winners, First Division Runners up, Football League Cup Runners up. 1991/92 - First Division Champions, Football League Cup Winners. 1992/93 - Premier League Champions. 1993/94 - Premier League Champions, FA Cup Winners, Football League Cup Runners up. Add to these a couple of Charity Shield wins and I think you'll agree that in the early 90s we were a very good team.....and things only got better!

redmanx

I can't imagine anyone could argue this?
Not with Shearer in peak form and Gazza having wonderful moments too.
At his peak Ince was a marvellous player, the epitomy of an end to end midfielder. As far as I recall Ince never gave up on a lost cause and fought for every ball. Not only that he could play and score goals. OK he went to Liverpool, so what? We saw the best of him and he deserves to listed amongst our top players. What he did after leaving United is of no consequence.

Oldyella

"Not a good team in the early 90s?" 1990/91- EUFA Cup Winners, EUFA Super Cup Winners, Football League Cup Winners, Runners up in First Division.

"Not a good team in the early 90s?" Were you living in a cave? 1990/91 - EUFA Super Cup Winners, European Cup Winners Cup Winners, First Division Runners up, Football League Cup Runners up. 1991/92 - First Division Champions, Football League Cup Winners. 1992/93 - Premier League Champions. 1993/94 - Premier League Champions, FA Cup Winners, Football League Cup Runners up. Add to these a couple of Charity Shield wins and I think you'll agree that in the early 90s we were a very good team.....and things only got better!
Easily my favourite team of Fergies that period. Could play or mix it up.