A Friendly Thread For Protesting Fans

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think like minded fans should have a place where we can build momentum and share protest and glazer out ideas without having to justify the need for or means of protest at every turn. Unfortunately too much of our energy is still spent in fighting and arguing with each other and that’s what really kills momentum and spirit before things can ever fully take off. Our fans fighting against each other (about Ole and everything else) is also a major turn off for casual fans who are still on the fence about what to do about our owners. At the end of the day we just want the club run by someone who communicates with fans and has the club and communities best interests at heart. It’s not and never will be the Glazers. Keep pushing and fighting guys and who knows where this will eventually end up!

Another thread and I’ll ask the question again.
The protest at the time of the takeover with the green and gold was unsuccessful because it was nonsensical. Green and gold until the club is sold does not guarantee you better ownership even in the event of a victory. As I said in another thread, surely not a single person thinks that Saudi ownership would be a victory, and surely everyone realises that several different types of ownership wanted to be involved in the super league.

It’s time to shift the narrative from the owners of Manchester United to reform in football that allowed so many clubs to be owned this way.

Ali Dia

The protest at the time of the takeover with the green and gold was unsuccessful because it was nonsensical. Green and gold until the club is sold does not guarantee you better ownership even in the event of a victory. As I said in another thread, surely not a single person thinks that Saudi ownership would be a victory, and surely everyone realises that several different types of ownership wanted to be involved in the super league.

It’s time to shift the narrative from the owners of Manchester United to reform in football that allowed so many clubs to be owned this way.
I couldn’t agree more but to achieve something like that we need as many people on the same page as possible bouncing ideas instead of arguing over whether Ole was right to not criticise the glazers or if the colour scheme on a protestors bedsheets wasn’t quite to taste :lol:

this is just hopefully the beginning of something much bigger and with the fans of the other 5 clubs we can certainly make a lot of noise and get a lot more attention than if it was just Utd fans. This is the time to do it.

Ali Dia

We've got a 1 in 6 chance that it's the Glazers.
Better than 100% not for sale. I think if one goes we might also see a domino effect. I agree with @Regulus Arcturus Black that reforms are needed across the board and most likely any change we see will be from the government changing legislation around football but there’s absolutely no harm giving our owners a push in the meantime.

Deery

Dreary
We've got a 1 in 6 chance that it's the Glazers.
1/4, I’d say because City and Chelsea fans wouldn’t want their owners to sell up, but given its the Glazers maybe 0/4 chance.

Alan Partridge

And a good start to this would be the fans driving out unfavorable owners. This could make the authorities look up and realise its a broken system. Also a club with a fan base capable of kicking up enough of a fuss when they feel unfairly treated might not be the first choice for owners plotting to try take similar advantage of us.

It’s easy to sit back and say it won’t work, because it probably won’t, but I say it’s worth a shot.

And a good start to this would be the fans driving out unfavorable owners. This could make the authorities look up and realise its a broken system. Also a club with a fan base capable of kicking up enough of a fuss when they feel unfairly treated might not be the first choice for owners plotting to try take similar advantage of us.

It’s easy to sit back and say it won’t work, because it probably won’t, but I say it’s worth a shot.
I can sit back and say it won’t work because it absolutely didn’t work last time. It did the grand total of sweet feck all.
It’s not worth a shot in that sense because it’s taking the narrative away from the real problem here, that’s why the protest should be focused to Westminster and the FA.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
And new owners for whichever club guarantees them nothing, those new owners can still run the club however they see fit.
Absolutely true. Sporting wise, we have witnessed way worse owners than our leeches, meddling with day to day business, demanding a say in line ups, nevermind supporting atrocities comitted on a humanitarian basis.

Ali Dia

And new owners for whichever club guarantees them nothing, those new owners can still run the club however they see fit.
you are totally right but pushing back against the current owners to the point where they are questioning their involvement can only be a good thing. Soften them up and try for the 50 + 1 approach. Any potential new owners coming in will realise the fans need to be kept onside from now on. It’s better than doing nothing and just sticking with the glazers in case things don’t improve or staying silent and hoping new owners magically realise what the fans want. Spell it out for them

Last edited:

Matthew84!

Anyone saying its pointless protesting obviously isn't watching the news, Utd is a brand, we continue to protest and keep making the news, the longer they leave it hopefully the value will go down slightly,
Yes we may be stuck we someone else after but in reality Utd makes its own money and can survive with what it makes,
New owners don't have to plough in billions just not take money out

Absolutely true. Sporting wise, we have witnessed way worse owners than our leeches, meddling with day to day business, demanding a say in line ups, nevermind supporting atrocities comitted on a humanitarian basis.
Yup, I absolutely want rid of the owners and the debt, but not without knowing what we are getting and without bug reform in the way football clubs are owned/run, we have no idea.

Anyone saying its pointless protesting obviously isn't watching the news, Utd is a brand, we continue to protest and keep making the news, the longer they leave it hopefully the value will go down slightly,
Yes we may be stuck we someone else after but in reality Utd makes its own money and can survive with what it makes,
See you are missing the point again, why would equally shit owners or worse owners (Saudi) be better? Just because they are different?

How can you be sure that new owners wouldn’t take out much more money for example? How can you be sure the new owners wouldn’t say “Paul Pogba for 100 million euros, nar, you can buy some English bloke for 30”.

Protesting for the owners to sell is as I say, nonsensical until you have either reform or you know who the new owner is and how they are planning to run the club.

alexthelion

I think like minded fans should have a place where we can build momentum and share protest and glazer out ideas without having to justify the need for or means of protest at every turn. Unfortunately too much of our energy is still spent in fighting and arguing with each other and that’s what really kills momentum and spirit before things can ever fully take off. Our fans fighting against each other (about Ole and everything else) is also a major turn off for casual fans who are still on the fence about what to do about our owners. At the end of the day we just want the club run by someone who communicates with fans and has the club and communities best interests at heart. It’s not and never will be the Glazers. Keep pushing and fighting guys and who knows where this will eventually end up!
1) Who would that be, and do they want to buy United? I, for one, would want an awful lot more from owners than just that.

2) Even worse off than we are now?

1) Who would that be, and do they want to buy United? I, for one, would want an awful lot more from owners than just that.

Honestly just reading this short thread makes me want to scream.
The only place we can guarantee a better future is at the FA and at Parliament, not by getting the fecking owners to sell to some other rich cnuts.

The Firestarter

That is not entirely correct. A new owner would see what the public sentiment is very carefully, before buying. What United supporters are requesting is not outrageous.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
1/4, I’d say because City and Chelsea fans wouldn’t want their owners to sell up, but given its the Glazers maybe 0/4 chance.
speak for all City and Chelsea fans why don't you, I'd be delighted if Mansour sold up

Ali Dia

We just have to create enough noise so that fans are taken into the decision making processes of these giant clubs. What if the government don’t act? Maybe a 51% stake isn’t possible. Could fans still mobilise and take up 25% of the shares even? Who knows but today it’s not important. What’s important is If we push hard enough now we might or might not get lasting change with or without the glazers but the alternative is If we do nothing then nothing changes until the next time they want to super league. Saying we should stick with the glazers becauee someone even worse might buy us is plain crazy. They are terrible owners.

That is not entirely correct. A new owner would see what the public sentiment is very carefully, before buying. What United supporters are requesting is not outrageous.
What are united fans requesting?

What prevents the new owners coming in spending a bit less and taking bigger dividends?

What prevents the Saudis buying the club and using it like a plaything à la PSG or Man City?

Has Mike Ashley ever given a shit about what Newcastle fans want?

alexthelion

We just have to create enough noise so that fans are taken into the decision making processes of these giant clubs. What if the government don’t act? Maybe a 51% stake isn’t possible. Could fans still mobilise and take up 25% of the shares even? Who knows but today it’s not important. What’s important is If we push hard enough now we might or might not get lasting change with or without the glazers but the alternative is If we do nothing then nothing changes until the next time they want to super league. Saying we should stick with the glazers becauee someone even worse might buy us is plain crazy. They are terrible owners.
Are you the mayor of Cloud Cuckoo Land? Do you really expect £2Bn to be raised by fans? because anything less won't get you 51% and anything less than that will be a waste of time.

Yes, the Glazers are bad but who, realistically, will have enough money to buy them out? Just another cnut or bunch of cnuts probably. Our only realistic hope is to get the PL/FA to change ownership rules. That's where protests should be aimed, not a bunch of sheet waving bods at a training ground.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Resistance to all this is well organised in here. :)

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Anyone who is saying "its pointless protesting" is either

1. not watching the news
2. obscenely pessimistic
3. has an agenda (hmm)

See. No rude words.

Anyone who is saying "its pointless protesting" is either

1. not watching the news
2. obscenely pessimistic
3. has an agenda (hmm)

See. No rude words.
Not a single person is saying “it’s pointless to protest”. If you can read and pay attention you will notice that people are saying that the protests need to be directed towards the government and FA otherwise they are utterly fecking nonsensical.

Deery

Dreary
Realistically who can afford to pay the £4billion or whatever it is the Glazers want, it seems that the Saudis are the main options and I wouldn’t want them as our owners.

We can only hope someone like Jeff Bezos turns his hand to football or there is nothing to say our next owner won’t be as bad as the Glazers.

It’s a shite situation we’re in.

dove

I simply cannot see anyone buying the club for $3b or so and don't take anything in return. Just doesn't make any sense. New owners would be either the likes of Saudis or similar to the Glazers.

Ali Dia

Are you the mayor of Cloud Cuckoo Land? Do you really expect £2Bn to be raised by fans? because anything less won't get you 51% and anything less than that will be a waste of time.

Yes, the Glazers are bad but who, realistically, will have enough money to buy them out? Just another cnut or bunch of cnuts probably. Our only realistic hope is to get the PL/FA to change ownership rules. That's where protests should be aimed, not a bunch of sheet waving bods at a training ground.
Ok I can agree with this up to a point but it all feeds back into the same thing. Making the glazers uncomfortable is still heading in the right direction. They players are at them. Ole is at them. The world is at them. Soften them up good so if any compromise is reached at government level they either won’t fight it or they sell or heaven forbid they actually take the lead and involve fans a lot more without a huge struggle. I’m not deluded into thinking we will find perfect owners who don’t want to take money for running us but let’s not turn this thread into that.

I simply cannot see anyone buying the club for $3b or so and don't take anything in return. Just doesn't make any sense. New owners would be either the likes of Saudis or similar to the Glazers.
Some fans live in cloud cuckoo land where they believe they will get a beautiful perfect billionaire owner who will just run the club the most perfect way possible.
As you say anyone investing those sums is either the likes of the Saudis or investors who will want a significant return on their money.

First reform, then new ownership. Rinse and repeat

Thunderhead

Supports
City
we're a football club, don't want to be a vehicle for an investment company, don't want to be a PLC, don't want another dodgy billionaire taking it over, would rather be fully fan owned and although that's pie in the sky that's the stance I've taken for years.

Mansour has sold % to Chinese and US investors, Id rather they fecked off too but that's the issue, they won't so I'll still support the club but don't expect me to be a shill for Mansour as I won't be, people can say what they want about him but I do get pissed off with people saying 'if that was united I wouldn't support the club' as it's dead easy to say that but I don't believe as many would walk away as they claim.

alexthelion

Ok I can agree with this up to a point but it all feeds back into the same thing. Making the glazers uncomfortable is still heading in the right direction. They players are at them. Ole is at them. The world is at them. Soften them up good so if any compromise is reached at government level they either won’t fight it or they sell or heaven forbid they actually take the lead and involve fans a lot more without a huge struggle. I’m not deluded into thinking we will find perfect owners who don’t want to take money for running us but let’s not turn this thread into that.
We've been 'fighting' them for 20 years and yet they still came up with/supported this plan.

We're fighting the wrong people. By all means aim our ire at the PL/FA, we need the rules changed before any change of ownership to ensure this sort of scenario cannot happen again.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
One form of protest that can be done from your bedroom is pressuring sponsors. Read up on who sponsors United, go to their Twitter page or find out their email and write to them. Lots of people have pressured sponsors into backing out, they don’t like negative activity on their social media.
I didn’t expect to come in here and read about how pointless everything is, but I shouldn’t be surprised. Reform is important, but hurting the Glazer’s grip on the club is just as important.

"It won't do anything" is such a defeatist attitude. Can't understand it.
It’s a defeatist attitude because we’ve seen it be defeated. The owners give zero fecks about this kind of protest, they know they are hated for the debt and they still went ahead with these plans.

we're a football club, don't want to be a vehicle for an investment company, don't want to be a PLC, don't want another dodgy billionaire taking it over, would rather be fully fan owned and although that's pie in the sky that's the stance I've taken for years.

Mansour has sold % to Chinese and US investors, Id rather they fecked off too but that's the issue, they won't so I'll still support the club but don't expect me to be a shill for Mansour as I won't be, people can say what they want about him but I do get pissed off with people saying 'if that was united I wouldn't support the club' as it's dead easy to say that but I don't believe as many would walk away as they claim.
Surely any football fan agrees with you here, we’d have all supported our clubs even in the super league because being a football fan is tribal stupidity in itself.
And fan ownership has to be the dream for anyone because that’s what football should all be about, the fans and not soley about money.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
If you really want to try something, join RAWK and Blue moon and whatever forums Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal fans post. Set up a thread on one platform where you can all post and organise across clubs.

One person can make a difference if you can organise say 100 fans here to do something (legal obviously) at the same time as fans from the other 6 clubs, you begin to build momentum , Joint action by fans at the same time across the country will be noticed.

EDIT other 5 clubs obviously!