A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Still don't see why he'd come to us over Spurs. Virtually no risk staying where he is, and that's a really young squad approaching its peak. Maybe in 2 seasons once this cycle is over.

Makes you seriously wonder what Ed et al have up their sleeves.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Corrected it. Don't ask me why i keep posting shit like that. :wenger:
Now I agree with you, to me he is in the situation Simeone faced a few years ago. I suspect that Tottenham will be able to provide him enough money in a relatively short period of time and since he currently has a solid team, he could be tempted to wait and appreciate what he currently has.

el3mel

Still don't see why he'd come to us over Spurs. Virtually no risk staying where he is, and that's a really young squad approaching its peak. Maybe in 2 seasons once this cycle is over.

Makes you seriously wonder what Ed et al have up their sleeves.
Not necessarily us, but I'm pretty sure he'll want to test himself at a bigger club sooner rather than later.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Your missing the point, if Poch leaves us it wouldn’t be anything like when he left Southampton.
True. But United many fans still live in the past, in denial of the present-day reality.

Despite the fact that Berbatov was more than 10 years ago they still fondly imagine that their pull over Spurs is awesome, when in truth the prospect of playing in the Europa League is not much better than the prospect of a wet weekend in Blackpool.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
True. But United many fans still live in the past, in denial of the present-day reality.

Despite the fact that Berbatov was more than 10 years ago they still fondly imagine that their pull over Spurs is awesome, when in truth the prospect of playing in the Europa League is not much better than the prospect of a wet weekend in Blackpool.
That's not true.

The reality is a club of United's financial strength will inevitably buy its way back to the top, like Chelsea, City and Liverpool have done in recent years.

Poch doesn't view our club with the same level of disdain as you, Glaston. I think he would love to join United under the right circumstances.

Ace of Spades

He will not stay if top clubs come calling, no way. I don't know about us though, who knows if he is excited about club going turbulent period at the moment, but if stable top club comes calling I am sure he would easily leave Spurs.
Maybe, but in the end no one knows. It is certainly not as absolute as some make it seem. Top clubs like that demand success, if you don't deliver you are out. At Spurs he does not have that pressure, and in modern football that type of job security is quite rare. Time will tell I guess

Mister_Stubbs

If anyone can be accused of being in denial on this forum it’s you. The shit you constantly spout gives the decent Spurs fans on this forum a bad name. Are you currently a better team on the pitch, absolutely. I’m not denying that. Are you as a club still a long way behind what Manchester United is as a club, yes. Though you won’t admit that.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

We can double or triple wages compared to you though :lol:

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Next time Glaston brings up averaging more points than us, just remind him Leicester have won the league, averaging less points than Spurs.
Which achievement is more memorable?

deafepl

But Everton did play a high line, what’s your point?
Yeah, that resulted in conceding 6 goals. Any decent team like Barcelona, PSG, would put 6 goals already in this. Poch's brand of football is okay but not really "WOW".

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Yeah, that resulted in conceding 6 goals. Any decent team like Barcelona, PSG, would put 6 goals already in this. Poch's brand of football is okay but not really "WOW".
So which manager do you want?

Sanche7

Where are Barca going to play Eriksen? Isn't Arthur doing pretty well?

KennyBurner

From what I have seen so far, Pochettino will be desperate to join United in the summer as Solksjear's assistant. Imagine how much he will learn under Ole.

Nikelesh Reddy

I don’t care about his lack of trophies,but he’s done a remarkable job at Tottenham.I would definitely give him the job...He ticks almost every single box for me.We however cannot just assume that we can easily get him in the summer....He’s built a terrific team at Tottenham and he may well want to carry on and take Tottenham to the next level.

For me the 2 main qualities that I am looking for in our next manager is-1)A commitment to play attacking football...2)Good man management skills.Pochettino would be my first choice,but if he’s unattainable,then I would go for Zidane...

Adisa

I don’t care about his lack of trophies,but he’s done a remarkable job at Tottenham.I would definitely give him the job...He ticks almost every single box for me.We however cannot just assume that we can easily get him in the summer....He’s built a terrific team at Tottenham and he may well want to carry on and take Tottenham to the next level.

For me the 2 main qualities that I am looking for in our next manager is-1)A commitment to play attacking football...2)Good man management skills.Pochettino would be my first choice,but if he’s unattainable,then I would go for Zidane...
I'd have huge respect for his ambition if he comes but the more I think about it, the more pessimistic I am about it. Players usually abandon a project before managers, not the other way round.

red4ever 79

Think he would make a big mistake coming to Utd if I am honest. He has a very talented group of players there with a good spirit, moving to a fabulous new stadium (eventually), he is only halfway through that Spurs project I think. If he continues to do well at Spurs, then the Utd job will more than likely become available again in the future anyhow given our rotation of managers since SAF retired.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Next time Glaston brings up averaging more points than us, just remind him Leicester have won the league, averaging less points than Spurs.
Which achievement is more memorable?
It was a United fan who raised the subject.

Nikelesh Reddy

I'd have huge respect for his ambition if he comes but the more I think about it, the more pessimistic I am about it. Players usually abandon a project before managers, not the other way round.
Honestly,I really don’t think we are that far away....This isn’t like Pochettino walking into Spurs or even Klopp taking over Liverpool.It won’t be a “project”,if we have a good transfer window I think Pochettino will challenge for the title in his 2nd season...

If we can keep De Gea and Martial,then we can definitely build a title winning team.Pochettino will need a good,ball playing CB...We have 2 young full backs who have the energy to play in a Pochettino team...Since he likes playing with narrow wide players Martial,Lingard,Mata would be perfect for him.Lukaku is a bit of a misfit,Rashfords much closer to become being a Pochettino striker than Lukaku....

But with 2-3 good signings,Pochettino can compete for the title....

Adisa

Honestly,I really don’t think we are that far away....This isn’t like Pochettino walking into Spurs or even Klopp taking over Liverpool.It won’t be a “project”,if we have a good transfer window I think Pochettino will challenge for the title in his 2nd season...

If we can keep De Gea and Martial,then we can definitely build a title winning team.Pochettino will need a good,ball playing CB...We have 2 young full backs who have the energy to play in a Pochettino team...Since he likes playing with narrow wide players Martial,Lingard,Mata would be perfect for him.Lukaku is a bit of a misfit,Rashfords much closer to become being a Pochettino striker than Lukaku....

But with 2-3 good signings,Pochettino can compete for the title....
I also don't think we are far away. And I am sure he would naturally back himself to get the best out of guys like Sanchez, Pogba, Martial etc. But managers leave clubs when successful if they feel they have taken it as far as possible. Are we 100%sure he will feel that way. The only two players Spurs will probably lose this summer are Alderweireld and Eriksen. Are those two enough to push him in the other direction?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
We can double or triple wages compared to you though :lol:
True: not that it's doing you much good though ... too many players just looking for one last big pay-day, with Sanchez being just the latest.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
If anyone can be accused of being in denial on this forum it’s you. The shit you constantly spout gives the decent Spurs fans on this forum a bad name. Are you currently a better team on the pitch, absolutely. I’m not denying that. Are you as a club still a long way behind what Manchester United is as a club, yes. Though you won’t admit that.
It's on the pitch that counts though. Who cares how many sponsors you have, or what Pogba's social media numbers are.

Nikelesh Reddy

I also don't think we are far away. And I am sure he would naturally back himself to get the best out of guys like Sanchez, Pogba, Martial etc. But managers leave clubs when successful if they feel they have taken it as far as possible. Are we 100%sure he will feel that way. The only two players Spurs will probably lose this summer are Alderweireld and Eriksen. Are those two enough to push him in the other direction?
This is a fair point.But on the flip side,for how much longer can he keep Spurs competing with a shoe string budget?City,Liverpool,Chelsea,United are going to continue to spend heavily.Spurs won’t be able to compete financially for the next 4-5 years...If Pochettino stays on too long and things go south(if they fail to qualify for CL) then his stock will go down...The Madrid’s and Uniteds of this world won’t even look at him anymore...

Maybe it’s better to leave a good party at the right time.If he finishes 3rd and if he leaves Spurs,his stock will be at an all time high....And he can join a club that has the money to seriously compete for the big trophies....

BlueHaze

Think he would make a big mistake coming to Utd if I am honest. He has a very talented group of players there with a good spirit, moving to a fabulous new stadium (eventually), he is only halfway through that Spurs project I think. If he continues to do well at Spurs, then the Utd job will more than likely become available again in the future anyhow given our rotation of managers since SAF retired.
I think you are wrong. We are screaming out for a manager like him and with the money he would be given combined with some of the players we already have he could potentially build a stronger team than this Spurs side. However he won't exactly make a mistake if he decides to stay at Tottenham either, which I believe is the most likely outcome of this story.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
It's on the pitch that counts though. Who cares how many sponsors you have, or what Pogba's social media numbers are.
It's trophies that count, and everyone knows it - including you.

During the LvG and Mourinho 'crisis years', we've won more than you have done in the past 25 years...

You've got a lovely little squad and a tidy manager, who if we choose to, we may appoint in the Summer - but always remember it's trophies that dictate whether a club that's competing has been successful or not.

Ban

It's trophies that count, and everyone knows it - including you.

During the LvG and Mourinho 'crisis years', we've won more than you have done in the past 25 years...

You've got a lovely little squad and a tidy manager, who if we choose to, we may appoint in the Summer - but always remember it's trophies that dictate whether a club that's competing has been successful or not.
They have out of the world training facilities though.