A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
What? Spurs and Levy probably wouldn't allow it to happen (if they have the power to stop it). Beyond that why do you think Pochettino wouldn't manage Chelsea? I know they're London rivals but why would that matter to him?

Bigger club, more money, better players to work with (he could buy them). Players themselves don't care about club rivalries nowadays. Morata has played for both Madrid clubs, Ashley Cole and many others have left their club to play for their rivals. George Graham of all people became Spurs manager after leading Arsenal to two league titles.

Is Pochettino more loyal than I'm giving him credit for?

There's no way Pochettino would move to Chelsea. Yes, he's more loyal than you're giving him credit for. He wouldn't abandon a project he's been working on for years to go to one of the clubs rivals, a club who recently have been tightening the purse strings more, give managers no time whatsoever, and possibly will once again be without CL football next season. For a club like Madrid or Manchester United yes, he may decide to take the opportunity, but Chelsea? It's not enough of a step up at all, whilst also being a huge risk.

Why would it matter to him? Let's see what he has said in the past: "I am never going to be manager of Barcelona or Arsenal," he told reporters at his weekly press conference. "That is my decision - I prefer to work on my farm in Argentina than in some places."

He's said in the past that even if he was sacked from the club he would never work for certain teams out of respect, let alone directly push for a move.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
What? Spurs and Levy probably wouldn't allow it to happen (if they have the power to stop it). Beyond that why do you think Pochettino wouldn't manage Chelsea? I know they're London rivals but why would that matter to him?

Bigger club, more money, better players to work with (he could buy them). Players themselves don't care about club rivalries nowadays. Morata has played for both Madrid clubs, Ashley Cole and many others have left their club to play for their rivals. George Graham of all people became Spurs manager after leading Arsenal to two league titles.

Is Pochettino more loyal than I'm giving him credit for?
With both Madrid and United now out of the question for Poch, the only way I can see him leaving Spurs is if Levy refuses to back him over the summer. They need a suitable replacement for Eriksen, which won't come cheap considering the ability of the player, plus Dembele will need replacing. Kane could use a little competition as well.

RedDevil@84

Apparently he told Mike Dean "You know what you are" some 20 times.

Got two games ban for the effort. Everyone knows what Mike Dean is. So it was a bit pointless really.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
With both Madrid and United now out of the question for Poch, the only way I can see him leaving Spurs is if Levy refuses to back him over the summer. They need a suitable replacement for Eriksen, which won't come cheap considering the ability of the player, plus Dembele will need replacing. Kane could use a little competition as well.
We need new fullbacks, two new central midfielders, a replacement for Eriksen, a replacement for Toby, probably another attacking player who provides better depth than Lamela .. a backup striker would be nice but Son is an able deputy.

We're obviously not going to sign like 6-7 players though (and shouldn't do, that rarely works) and that's why ignoring last summer/january was such a silly mistake, because next summer now we're going to need to be incredibly busy in the market due to replacing players who already left, injured players, and ones who are leaving .. all in one swoop. I imagine we'll continue to ignore the fullback situation, bring in a young player to replace Toby, probably someone like Maddison for Eriksen and maybe Grealish.

It's also all going to be twice as difficult if we do miss out on CL this season, can't be stressed enough how important that is to us.

Last edited:

JSArsenal

There's no way Pochettino would move to Chelsea. Yes, he's more loyal than you're giving him credit for. He wouldn't abandon a project he's been working on for years to go to one of the clubs rivals, a club who recently have been tightening the purse strings more, give managers no time whatsoever, and possibly will once again be without CL football next season. For a club like Madrid or Manchester United yes, he may decide to take the opportunity, but Chelsea? It's not enough of a step up at all, whilst also being a huge risk.

Why would it matter to him? Let's see what he has said in the past: "I am never going to be manager of Barcelona or Arsenal," he told reporters at his weekly press conference. "That is my decision - I prefer to work on my farm in Argentina than in some places."

He's said in the past that even if he was sacked from the club he would never work for certain teams out of respect, let alone directly push for a move.

People say a lot of things mate.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/f...nother-English-club-like-Fernando-Torres.html

"If some day I leave Arsenal it will never be to sign for another English team. I'm very sure," Fabregas, who admits he was surprised by Torres' move, told Spanish magazine Don Balon.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/f...st-temptation-of-Manchester-Citys-riches.html

Gael Clichy:
"I really believe if you are a player who thinks only about money then you could end up at Manchester City. You have to think if you want to play for a big club and have your image or if you want to play for a good club and earn big money.
I'm also not going to post the picture of a young RVP in an Arsenal top surrounded by Arsenal memorabilia. I just won't, but you get the idea.

I'd take Poch's words, anyone in football really, with a grain of salt. At the end of the day they'll make whatever decision is best for them on a professional level.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/f...nother-English-club-like-Fernando-Torres.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/f...st-temptation-of-Manchester-Citys-riches.html

Gael Clichy:

I'm also not going to post the picture of a young RVP in an Arsenal top surrounded by Arsenal memorabilia. I just won't, but you get the idea.

I'd take Poch's words, anyone in football really, with a grain of salt. At the end of the day they'll make whatever decision is best for them on a professional level.
There's no reason to believe that Pochettino would do that for Chelsea. They aren't nearly a step up enough to justify abandoning a project he's worked on for years, especially with the way they've treated Sarri, he could be sacked first season if he doesn't get top four.

RVP left for a massive step up (to win a title), ditto with Clichy. Fabregas made the move years after Arsenal and because he wanted to stay in London, they're not exactly the same situation. Chelsea are a bigger club and have more resources but they're in a tricky situation right now and may not boast CL football next season, as well as having their own plans for a new stadium with the owner seemingly pulling back a bit. They wouldn't be enough to make Poch interested.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Would be extremely shocked if Pochettino went to Chelsea. They're in disarray at the moment and I'm not sure they'd be willing to invest anywhere near enough money for the move to be worth it for him considering how little time managers tend to spend there.

He is the type of manager who's willing to move on when a bigger and better opportunity becomes available, but I get the impression he identifies and picks those opportunities carefully. Spurs was a clear step up from Southampton, but he'll probably wait it out for a fairly massive job before leaving Spurs.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I'd still prefer him over Ole. And I love Ole the footballer, and Ole the United legend more than most.

But Poch is an elite level manager. Maybe Ole will one day get there, but Poch feels a surer bet to me.

RedDevil@84

But Poch is an elite level manager.
Why?? How??

Because he has won trophies with multiple teams.

Or He has worked for elite clubs

Or I feel so, because Spurs improved from top 6 kinda team to top 3 kinda team in last 4 years.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
We need new fullbacks, two new central midfielders, a replacement for Eriksen, a replacement for Toby, probably another attacking player who provides better depth than Lamela .. a backup striker would be nice but Son is an able deputy.

We're obviously not going to sign like 6-7 players though (and shouldn't do, that rarely works) and that's why ignoring last summer/january was such a silly mistake, because next summer now we're going to need to be incredibly busy in the market due to replacing players who already left, injured players, and ones who are leaving .. all in one swoop. I imagine we'll continue to ignore the fullback situation, bring in a young player to replace Toby, probably someone like Maddison for Eriksen and maybe Grealish.

It's also all going to be twice as difficult if we do miss out on CL this season, can't be stressed enough how important that is to us.
Same for the rest of the top-four hopefuls. There are 4 points between Spurs (third) and Chelsea (sixth) with 8 games remaining. Squeaky-bum time!

Personally, I don't think Poch will leave if Spurs miss out on top-four. But he may take exception to Levy refusing to loosen those purse strings again this summer.

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal

Gael Clichy:

Not to mention the unmentionable GG.

Money and ego, the driving forces in football.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Why?? How??

Because he has won trophies with multiple teams.

Or He has worked for elite clubs

Or I feel so, because Spurs improved from top 6 kinda team to top 3 kinda team in last 4 years.
Because he has put this Spurs squad above numerous vastly superior squads over his time there, through coaching, management and tactical innovation.

Look at their wage bill, look at ours, or Chelsea etc, and Spurs have more points over his time there. It's incredible.

Maybe Ole will prove himself - and we'll find out because he's going to get the job - but I do think Poch is far more proven

RedDevil@84

Look at their wage bill, look at ours, or Chelsea etc, and Spurs have more points over his time there. It's incredible.
Wage bills?? So hypothetically, if Ole was in top 4 in March with academy players (salaries are much lower), then Ole becomes an elite manager and can be considered by elite clubs in England and Europe?

RasTiaGba

Because he has put this Spurs squad above numerous vastly superior squads over his time there, through coaching, management and tactical innovation.

Maybe Ole will prove himself - and we'll find out because he's going to get the job - but I do think Poch is far more proven
Harry Kane and Dele Alli are Spurs fans, so they're not going to kick their heels in and ask for more money like top players at every other top 5 club do, such as DdG, Hazard, Ozil, Sanchez, KdB, Aguero, Salah etc.

Also it's not Ole's fault that the club started off his tenure with a huge wage bill.

Also, if Man City ever came in for Eriksen he'd have moved in a flash, and their 'high position with low wage bill' would be gone because all of their cheap players would move as soon as they get an offer.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Has he not already done that?

For me, Ole has proven himself to be as tactically aware as any manager we have had since Fergie retired. He has a wide variety of formations in his locker and he is unafraid to adopt any one of them should the situation dictate. In the 15 games he has been in charge, we've started out in a 433, a 352, a 4231 and a 442 diamond. What's more, the players look equally proficient in all of them, which speaks volumes given the limited amount of time he's has to work with them.

He always reacts in a positive and timely manner to any given situation; I cannot recall a single moment during one of his press conferences where he came across poorly - not one. Rather than whine about an ongoing injury crisis, he simply responds with "that's football for you" and adjusts accordingly. The players love playing for him, just look at the way they responded to the midfield disaster during the Liverpool match and then again against PSG shortly after with that midfield - two games of which we had no right to come away from unscathed - these lads will bust a gut for Ole if necessary.

The only thing remaining that he needs to prove himself in is the transfer market, and he will get his chance before long.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
You got lucky with Zidane being available. Ole has saved your club twice in 3 months.
I see. Poch turned down RM in the summer, but now he would have gone to a RM in decline, minus Ronaldo etc, this coming summer if not for Zidane returning :rolleyes:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Talking more smack about us, this time in reference to our chances against Barca. He's talked himself out of the job as far as I'm concerned

el3mel

Talking more smack about us, this time in reference to our chances against Barca. He's talked himself out of the job as far as I'm concerned
He must be depressed after Zidane got the Madrid job and now he has several more seasons to spend at Spurs. Don't blame him. :lol:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
What's he said now?
"You have teams such as Manchester City or Juventus that will always have chances to win the competition because they are teams who are designed to do that. There is always room for surprises. And we hope Tottenham could be that surprise.

"I think the Manchester United team that has been built during the past few years was built to win big things. But winning important competitions such as the Champions League or Premier League always depends on the small details.

"Of course they have players able to make things difficult for Barcelona [in the Champions League]. But I think Barcelona are one step higher than Manchester United."

Nothing too gut-wrenching if you ask me. Let's be honest here, the only people who genuinely believe we have a chance against Barca over two legs are die-hard United fans. Poch is merely stating facts.

The only issue I see here is the fact that he has no business discussing a CL encounter that does not involve him directly. There seems to be limit to what a manager will or will not discuss these days.

RedDevil@84

"You have teams such as Manchester City or Juventus that will always have chances to win the competition because they are teams who are designed to do that. There is always room for surprises. And we hope Tottenham could be that surprise.

"I think the Manchester United team that has been built during the past few years was built to win big things. But winning important competitions such as the Champions League or Premier League always depends on the small details.

"Of course they have players able to make things difficult for Barcelona [in the Champions League]. But I think Barcelona are one step higher than Manchester United."

Nothing too gut-wrenching if you ask me. Let's be honest here, the only people who genuinely believe we have a chance against Barca over two legs are die-hard United fans. Poch is merely stating facts.

The only issue I see here is the fact that he has no business discussing a CL encounter that does not involve him directly. There seems to be limit to what a manager will or will not discuss these days.
What was the context??

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Those are absolutely nothing quotes.

I mean he's not wrong, is he? Do United fans think their current team is as good as Barcelona's?

Blimey,I've read far worse on here.:lol:

ForestRGoinUp

Still think he’s the right guy for the job. Happy to see what Ole will do, but don’t think the outlook is as bright with him as most here seem to.

Bringing in Ole, and then handcuffing yourself to him after a positive run, will likely go down as the 4th poor managerial decision post Ferguson.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
what has United vs Barcelona got to do with him? just asking ..
He was asked who he thinks the favourite to win the CL was.

The extent of what he's said is 'Barca are great, United are a difficult team and won't be easy but I think Barcelona have the edge and are the team to beat'.

RedDevil@84

Those are absolutely nothing quotes.

I mean he's not wrong, is he? Do United fans think their current team is as good as Barcelona's?
Nothing wrong. Just that managers tend to be a bit less "straight forward" when it comes to the chances of their teams or others.
But to each their own.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
How much of this has he actually done though? They've got some really good players. Credit to whoever found them and probably the coaches. Has he actually improved them much though? It's a genuine question as I'm not suggesting he hasn't, but I'm also not convinced it's all on him. For me the jury is very much out.

For a team with a world class striker, a world class midfielder, and decent wingers, plus a decent defence, have they really done that well?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
what has United vs Barcelona got to do with him? just asking ..
Nothing whatsoever, I guess he just felt the need to openly discuss United's chances of winning the CL.

I have no idea why footballer managers do this. No good ever comes from it.