A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Canagel

He was asked who he thinks the favourite to win the CL was.

The extent of what he's said is 'Barca are great, United are a difficult team and won't be easy but I think Barcelona have the edge and are the team to beat'.
did he get asked to say who the favorite is or make predictions on a match which doesn't involve him? I'm sure it was the former.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
did he get asked to say who the favorite is or make predictions on a match which doesn't involve him? I'm sure it was the former.
Probably, but like .. it's pretty much the most innocuous comment ever which basically nobody could actually disagree with. Barcelona have an edge over Manchester United, wow .. such insight.

A team battling for top 4 in the prem aren't favourites against the la liga leaders who have Lionel Messi in their ranks? Shocked.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Why are you even on a United forum if you can't give some credit where it's due?
Calling a decision made by VAR lucky is fecking stupid even for Glaston

I look forward to Spurs being massively unlucky next season when VAR makes completely correct decisions against them every single week

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
His set up is quite defensive, a Wanyama-Dier double pivot is pretty boring.
Our midfield has been Sissoko/Winks for the entire season.

Wanyama/Dier has rarely been used. Was for a bit at the start of 16/17 but yeah, it was too defensive and didn't really work. Mostly one or the other has started.

But Pochettino 100% likes having someone with physicality in the middle of the park, and he likes having someone who sits in front of the defence and covers, which we actually seriously lack now with Dier's lack of form and Wanyama's injury crisis.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Spurs have looked dreadful for much of the season tbh.
Yep, we had a brief period where we played great football (beat bournemouth 5-0, everton 6-2 etc) but otherwise, we've mostly ground out results or just been outright poor.

We have not been entertaining to watch this season, not for the most part.

Suedesi

Spurs will have a massive say on where the title ends up, and they could easily spoil City's dream in Europe. Other than Liverpool, can't think of another team (starting 11, not squad) dealing better with City (who are overrated by the way).

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Quite the result eh, @GlastonSpur @Amadaeus

Spurs are now 1 point off 6th! Who would have thought?
:lol:

You must be one of those fans that only look at results and don’t watch the actually games. Pochettino once again showed brilliant game management and his team should have won if they did not shoot themselves in the foot.

Unfortunately for Pochettino, he has not mastered the art of being lucky. This was one of the best performance an away team put on at Anfield this season and everyone that watched the game would say Liverpool did not deserve the full three points.

In regards to their league position, as I stated before, they are overachieving with the quality at their disposal. They should not be in the top four with the players they have. Most fans seem to overhype their players, but reality is their team is not that good compared to their rivalry who has outspent Spurs in nearly every position on the field and have more resources to utilize if their first eleven underperform. That Sissoko miss speaks to my point and that lloris blunder today.

Last edited:

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

You must be one of those fans that only look at results and don’t watch the actually games. Pochettino once again showed brilliant game management and his team should have won if they did not shoot themselves in the foot.

Unfortunately for Pochettino, he has not mastered the art of being lucky. This was one of the best performance an away team put on at Anfield this season and everyone that watched the game would say Liverpool did not deserve the full three points.

In regards to their league position, as I stated before, they are overachieving with the quality at their disposal. They should not be in the top four with the players they have.
:houllier:

TsuWave

can’t fault him when players like Sissoko waste chances like that one

vangagal

Its on manager when it comes to mentality of their players. Great manager can turn things around by some words to his players. Well, maybe Spurs just that bottle to Poch to handle.

Fener1907

Exactly, some unintelligent poster only looks at the results and not the actual game. It is these type of misinformed individuals is how people like Trump gets elected and the alt right lashed their ideology to.
Now I want to hear a Trump team talk.

Canagel

The bottling mentality starts with the manager. Players fecking up in pressurized situations is a mental block. It happened too much to be just bad luck by now.

Djemba-Djemba

In regards to their league position, as I stated before, they are overachieving with the quality at their disposal. They should not be in the top four with the players they have. Most fans seem to overhype their players, but reality is their team is not that good compared to their rivalry who has outspent Spurs in nearly every position on the field and have more resources to utilize if their first eleven underperform. That Sissoko miss speaks to my point and that lloris blunder today.
If we lose at Anfield next season to a comedy own goal to take our run to 1 point out of the last 15 I trust you'll be as supportive and defensive of Ole?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

I agree.

I get it though, there's this weird dynamic where posters are going out of their way to take shots at Poch after some fans wanted him here.

Dinghy

In regards to their league position, as I stated before, they are overachieving with the quality at their disposal. They should not be in the top four with the players they have. Most fans seem to overhype their players, but reality is their team is not that good compared to their rivalry who has outspent Spurs in nearly every position on the field. That Sissoko miss speaks to my point and that lloris blunder today.

3 wins in 25 games away against top 6 sides :lol:

Amadaeus

If we lose at Anfield next season to a comedy own goal to take our run to 1 point out of the last 15 I trust you'll be as supportive and defensive of Ole?
If our football is good and we are unlucky in those defeat, I will definitely still be supportive. However, if our football is poor, then I will have to do some deep assessments.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness

They just don’t have a winning mentality when it matters most. That’s down to the manager.

Amadaeus

They just don’t have a winning mentality when it matters most. That’s down to the manager.
I would not say it has to do with a winner mentality. They would not be in this position and the quarter final of the champions league this season if they didn’t. Maybe, a Spurs fan can better explain why they seem to crumble when put on a little pressure. I believe it might do with quality of the squad and lack of reinforcements available. I believe if they spend £150m fixing their midfield, they will be a much stronger team. Liverpool spent £60m on Van dijk and he has absolutely transformed their defense and mentality. Spurs need a similar kind of signing in their midfield.

Djemba-Djemba

If our football is good and we are unlucky in those defeat, I will definitely still be supportive. However, if our football is poor, then I will have to do some deep assessments.
Well Spurs were appalling against Burnley and Arsenal in that run, and poor at Chelsea and Southampton.

They weren't unlucky in any of those defeats, and they were exceptionally lucky to get a point against Arsenal.

shaky

Pre match Poch - “The team is used to playing with three at the back, and we believe it’s the best way to play today. We’ll see if we are right.”
He was wrong. They were terrible for the first half hour until they ditched the back 3.

Amadaeus

Well Spurs were appalling against Burnley and Arsenal in that run, and poor at Chelsea and Southampton.

They weren't unlucky in any of those defeats, and they were exceptionally lucky to get a point against Arsenal.
There were not appalling for most of those games. Their were more dominant in possession and attempt on goal, in addition to other areas against most of those teams. The quality of finishing though, were up for question and that speaks about the quality moreso than the performance.