A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I don't see him leaving in the foreseeable. But things change quickly in football. If Kane and a few others were to be sold without his consent, would he then leave? I think Levy is happy to let Pochettino decide transfers and I think Kane is going nowhere next season.
More chance that he leaves with them. A la Mourinho, Deco, Carvalho.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I was waiting for the new stadium line. Well done. :lol:
That's because it's relevant. Those imagining that Levy is going to sanction the departure of Kane just before the new stadium's grand opening are living in cloud cuckoo land.

Nuts

This just shows how out of touch with reality you are. With Spurs soon to move into our new stadium, the chances of Kane being this summer sold are a rock solid zero.

Real could offer £250m and Levy wouldn't even take the phone call.
Every player has a price, and there’s no way you can tell us that if Barca, Real or even United made him a life changing offer that he wouldn’t consider it.

I think you’re absolutely wrong to assume it would be Levy who could ignore the phone call. If Kane ever wanted to go, he would. Because clubs can’t keep players under those circumstances anymore, least of all if they potentially have Kane’s value.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I'm not going to lie I have no doubt he would be incredibly intrested in Madrid, due to his Spanish background and the fact he would never coach Barca. I don't think however he is the kind of guy who would leave us at the drop of a hat, I would hope not this summer anyway. Also as you say joining Madrid without winning anything first would be a massive risk, as a manager he has plenty of time left in his career.

Having said that I really wouldn't want a test from Madrid, it hasn't ended well before :lol:.
I'm sure this summer will be hectic and the two clubs will speak (if they are not already doing so). Kane and Pochettino would be too much for Levy,
so we better forget about the coach and we give him 200 for Kane :p

Noir

That's an increasably black and white way of looking at it. I also hate this definition of "world class". Out of interest and I'm not trolling here I wanna get a definition of this, who in the Jnited squad is "world class" other than De Gea?
Why black and white? He hasn't won anything as a coach and doesn't look like winning anytime soon, hope you let him go as soon as and if Real comes knocking.

I'd say Pogba and De Gea are the only ones we could consider world class in our squad.
Edit: Add Mourinho to world class.

el3mel

If Zidane gets the sack as it's predicted, Poch seems to be the only good available option for Madrid to get. Whatever the manager they're getting, if they don't renew their attack and bring at least 2 world class attackers this summer, I can't see anyone succeeding with them.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He's not perfect but he's obviously done a very good job with Spurs - their resources are far outmatched by the teams around them and yet they've been able to consistently remain in and around the CL spots in recent years. Quite how good he is remains to be seen but even if they finish 5th this season I'd say 3rd/2nd/5th would be a very respectable combo for a manager with a team who by all rights should be finishing around 6th every season.

Nuts

I think if Poch had taken a leaf out of Fergie’s playbook last summer and added two players just to freshen things up in his squad they’d be doing far better this season. It’s gone stale at Spurs.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Why black and white? He hasn't won anything as a coach and doesn't look like winning anytime soon, hope you let him go as soon as and if Real comes knocking.

I'd say Pogba and De Gea are the only ones we could consider world class in our squad.
You have to look at the clubs he has managed and where those clubs are in the grand scheme of their legs. You can't just judge a manager "as is". Only with us could he arguably be expect to have wind something by now but the thing is with us, the league comes first, we simply can't afford to drop out of the top 4.

Right I rate pogba and he certainly has the potential to be world class but he isn't consistent enough, wheather that be Jose hasn't quite got his squad the way he wants it or Pogba himself hasn't peaked yet who knows. Again I rate him massively but he isn't there yet.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Every player has a price, and there’s no way you can tell us that if Barca, Real or even United made him a life changing offer that he wouldn’t consider it.

I think you’re absolutely wrong to assume it would be Levy who could ignore the phone call. If Kane ever wanted to go, he would. Because clubs can’t keep players under those circumstances anymore, least of all if they potentially have Kane’s value.
If, if, if ...

The reality is that Kane doesn't want to leave and will be very keen to walk out for Spurs into our new stadium. And even if - for argument's sake - he did want to leave this summer, Levy would refuse point blank because he simply wouldn't let such an event occur and thereby overshadow the new stadium's opening ... for all sorts of commercial sponsorship and fan morale reasons.

Opposition fans can try conjuring up all kinds of imagined scenarios, but there is more chance of Messi signing for Accrington Stanley than there is for Kane being sold this summer.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I think if Poch had taken a leaf out of Fergie’s playbook last summer and added two players just to freshen things up in his squad they’d be doing far better this season. It’s gone stale at Spurs.
Stale? We are 5th in an incredably strong league, 3 points behind 3rd, and advancing in Europe. I don't see that as stale.

Nuts

If, if, if ...

The reality is that Kane doesn't want to leave and will be very keen to walk out for Spurs into our new stadium. And even if - for argument's sake - he did want to leave this summer, Levy would refuse point blank because he simply wouldn't let such an event occur and thereby overshadow the new stadium's opening ... for all sorts of commercial sponsorship and fan morale reasons.

Opposition fans can try conjuring up all kinds of imagined scenarios, but there is more chance of Messi signing for Accrington Stanley than there is for Kane being sold this summer.
When, when, when.

Not this summer, maybe, but at some point he’ll consider it. I personally wouldn’t totally rule out this summer - football’s too unpredictable. If Poch and a few others go, anything could happen...

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
When, when, when.

Not this summer, maybe, but at some point he’ll consider it. I personally wouldn’t totally rule out this summer - football’s too unpredictable. If Poch and a few others go, anything could happen...
And if they stay and we win the FA cup, we can all make up a wicker an argument.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Say what? With an incredibly low net spend, the players that have joined since Pochettino arrived include:

Alli
Alderweireld
Son
Wanyama
Dier
Sanchez
Aurier
Davis
Trippier

Pound for pound he probably has the best record for transfers in the Prem.
Why leave out the likes of Sissoko? Because he doesn't fit your argument I'd imagine

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs

So Pogba is world class and Alderweireld (for example) isn't? Do me a favour.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Why leave out the likes of Sissoko? Because he doesn't fit your argument I'd imagine
TBF Glaston was highlighting successes, Sissoko has been meh and for the fee a flop. I don't think any Spurs fan would agree with that. I'm hoping a big bid comes in from China TBH lol.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Include him if you like, it doesn't really change the overall picture. I was against his signing at the time - and he's not been great - but in recent weeks he's slowly becoming a decent squad player.

James Peril

That's because it's relevant. Those imagining that Levy is going to sanction the departure of Kane just before the new stadium's grand opening are living in cloud cuckoo land.
Grand opening - wow, you are really in love with this (not so incredibly big) stadium. What's even funnier is that you are in fact playing at a much bigger and shinier stadium right now. Say what you want about the magnificent Levy and his control over Kane, but time and time again the biggest clubs come in for the best players and they get them. Kane has reached that level where you cannot see another outcome than leaving for Real Madrid in the end, it's just inevitable. And sorry to say, in the end Mr. Levy doesn't have a word in this game - when the player sets the wheels in motion there is only one outcome. Agents, media, faked injuries - you know the drill, they always give up in the end. Coutinho left for Barcelona, even though Liverpool said they would never entertain a bid for him. Why would Tottenham be any different? This is what you do not comprehend; Tottenham aren't any different to other, lesser clubs. You are not special, there is nothing unique about playing for Tottenham compared to other clubs - you have absolutely no recent history. Spurs like everyone else, would not hold onto an unhappy star player flirting with proper trophy-winning clubs from Europe. Antoine Griezmann just moved into a new and shiny stadium, you can bet your ass he is trading up next summer - he almost moved last season before they moved into the new one.

I am not saying he is necessarily leaving this summer, but the huge problem for Tottenham is that a) Real Madrid are the biggest club in the world, b) their star playing is soon 33 and c) Kane is at the perfect age and is the best around from his generation currently playing at a smaller club. This isn't a dig at Spurs as a club (rather delusional fans), you have just hit the big-time in securing Kane and will pocket a lot of money for him. Spurs have won one measly League Cup in the last 20 years and that just isn't going to suffice for him when he can win several Champions League-trophies the next 7-8 years playing for a bigger and better club. Tick tock....

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Include him if you like, it doesn't really change the overall picture. I was against his signing at the time - and he's not been great - but in recent weeks he's slowly becoming a decent squad player.
I do like, I also like to add the likes of Janssen as well

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
When, when, when.

Poch won't be leaving this summer either. And you could apply 'if' to any club in the world, including United.

Noir

You have to look at the clubs he has managed and where those clubs are in the grand scheme of their legs. You can't just judge a manager "as is". Only with us could he arguably be expect to have wind something by now but the thing is with us, the league comes first, we simply can't afford to drop out of the top 4.
Yeah but you have to win something, anything. The league cup at least. Ranieri took a Leicester side and kicked the whole "toughest" league ass, simple as. That's a good coach, Poch is decent at best IMHO sorry.

Right I rate pogba and he certainly has the potential to be world class but he isn't consistent enough, wheather that be Jose hasn't quite got his squad the way he wants it or Pogba himself hasn't peaked yet who knows. Again I rate him massively but he isn't there yet.
Well he sure ain't Roy but i think he can be considered world class, but i understand why you could think he's not.

So Pogba is world class and Alderweireld (for example) isn't? Do me a favour.
Nope sorry, not even close. He's a good player in a decent squad, and that's all. Wouldn't have him over any of our defenders.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I do like, I also like to add the likes of Janssen as well
Fine. But again it doesn't change the fact that Pochettino has assembled a top 4 team - competing against several money-bags clubs - for absolute peanuts.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Grand opening - wow, you are really in love with this (not so incredibly big) stadium. What's even funnier is that you are in fact playing at a much bigger and shinier stadium right now. Say what you want about the magnificent Levy and his control over Kane, but time and time again the biggest clubs come in for the best players and they get them. Kane has reached that level where you cannot see another outcome than leaving for Real Madrid in the end, it's just inevitable. And sorry to say, in the end Mr. Levy doesn't have a word in this game - when the player sets the wheels in motion there is only one outcome. Agents, media, faked injuries - you know the drill, they always give up in the end. Coutinho left for Barcelona, even though Liverpool said they would never entertain a bid for him. Why would Tottenham be any different? This is what you do not comprehend; Tottenham aren't any different to other, lesser clubs. You are not special, there is nothing unique about playing for Tottenham compared to other clubs - you have absolutely no recent history. Spurs like everyone else, would not hold onto an unhappy star player flirting with proper trophy-winning clubs from Europe. Antoine Griezmann just moved into a new and shiny stadium, you can bet your ass he is trading up next summer - he almost moved last season before they moved into the new one.

I am not saying he is necessarily leaving this summer, but the huge problem for Tottenham is that a) Real Madrid are the biggest club in the world, b) their star playing is soon 33 and c) Kane is at the perfect age and is the best around from his generation currently playing at a smaller club. This isn't a dig at Spurs as a club (rather delusional fans), you have just hit the big-time in securing Kane and will pocket a lot of money for him. Spurs have won one measly League Cup in the last 20 years and that just isn't going to suffice for him when he can win several Champions League-trophies the next 7-8 years playing for a bigger and better club. Tick tock....
Il agree with most of what you say but come on, moving from WHL to a new stadium is a big deal for the club, you can't get round it. Financially and status wise, it allows us to massively increase our income commercially and on match day. 61000 capicity Will be the second biggest in the league, come on.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
... Nope sorry, not even close. He's a good player in a decent squad, and that's all. Wouldn't have him over any of our defenders.
Lol ... Alderweireld is widely considered to be one of the best CBs in Europe ... and perhaps the best in the Prem.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Yeah but you have to win something, anything. The league cup at least. Ranieri took a Leicester side and kicked the whole "toughest" league ass, simple as. That's a good coach, Poch is decent at best IMHO sorry.

Well he sure ain't Roy but i think he can be considered world class, but i understand why you could think he's not.

Nope sorry, not even close. He's a good player in a decent squad, and that's all. Wouldn't have him over any of our defenders.
I 100% agree we need to win something no doubt and unless we do either this season or next we will be in difficulties, no problem saying it as I've said it before.

Noir

I 100% agree we need to win something no doubt and unless we do either this season or next we will be in difficulties, no problem saying it as I've said it before.
People talk about Klopp being this great coach and that he's running out of time and he has to win something or else it's over for him at Pool. And somehow nobody talks about Pochs need to win, they just talk about how he's building something from "nothing", playing sexy football along the road to nowhere.

See I don't consider him WC, he can't be until he brings the goodies but on the other hand how can he be then linked to arguably the biggest Club team in the world?
Yeah and on the other hand Real also hired Rafa Benitez. Go figure that one out.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs

I'm talking about this summer ... not what may or may not happen in years to come. And this summer it's simply delusional to imagine that Kane might be sold.

PS. Wembley might be bigger, but it's definitely not 'shinier' and it's not our real home stadium. Our new stadium when finished will be the best in the Prem.

Bojan11

Yawn ... all this wishful thinking is quite boring really.

Half the posts about Spurs from opposition fans bang on endlessly - year after year - about the alleged imminent departure of our star players. And when it doesn't happen they carry on anyway. :houllier:
What happened to Kyle Walker? Danny Rose wants out. Aldeweireld isn’t signing a new contract.

It’s not wishful thinking. Unless you start paying big bucks these players will leave. Do you think they want to continue at Spurs with a low wage and win nothing as well?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
No wonder you guys consider Poch world class too.
I'm sorry, but if you rate Alderweireld as simply 'a good player in decent squad', then either you've hardly seem him play or your footballing judgement isn't worth a bucket of spit.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
What happened to Kyle Walker? Danny Rose wants out. Aldeweireld isn’t signing a new contract.

It’s not wishful thinking. Unless you start paying big bucks these players will leave. Do you think they want to continue at Spurs with a low wage and win nothing as well?
Kyle Walker wasn't one of our star players, and nor is Rose for that matter (who last I heard was still playing for Spurs).

You know don't know that Alderweireld won't sign a new contract ... it's just hopeful projection on your part.

PS. de Gea wanted out from United, just like Ronaldo, but some United fans like to pretend that these things never happen to them.

Bojan11

Kyle Walker wasn't one of our star players, and nor is Rose for that matter (who last I heard was still playing for Spurs).

You know don't know that Alderweireld won't sign a new contract ... it's just hopeful projection on your part.

PS. de Gea wanted out from United, just like Ronaldo, but some United fans like to pretend that these things never happen to them.
De Gea left? Pretty sure he is still here.

Alderwireld ain’t signing according to the times, so it’s not my projection. He clearly seen the money Walker is on and plus the bonus that Walker is going to win trophies.

You haven’t won anything for a decade. If you think these players are going to accept a low wage compared to what they can get from another club and not win anything then you are deluded.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
De Gea left? Pretty sure he is still here.

Alderwireld ain’t signing according to the times, so it’s not my projection. He clearly seen the money Walker is on and plus the bonus that Walker is going to win trophies.

You haven’t won anything for a decade. If you think these players are going to accept a low wage compared to what they can get from another club and not win anything then you are deluded.
de Gea wanted to leave, that's the point.

First it's "Aldeweireld isn’t signing a new contract" and then it becomes he "ain’t signing according to the times" ... :lol:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
If, if, if ...

You seem to permanently talk in hyperbole.

Just state that you think he'll stay. Instead of writing absolute nonsensical sh1te.

Mitser

Alderwireld is a class player. Always hoped we'd sign him actually. No surprise that Poch took him from Saints, and let Pool take all the rest.
After the Danny Rose interview last year, seems obvious that Levy has a big challenge to keep key players while waiting for bumper revenues from new stadium etc.
Wouldn't surprise me if he pulled it off for the most part, however Alderwireld looks certain to leave IMO. 60k per week is a joke for him, and he'd make way more elsewhere, not to mention increased trophy prospects.
Would welcome him with open arms at United.

Bwuk

Can see Poch going and taking Kane with him to Madrid in summer.