A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Aurell

Supports
Football
I guess you have no clue. It's not the shape but the physical presence of Sissoko in the middle that changed things for you. Just changing the shape wouldn't fix the problems I've already put up above..

How can you deny it's Sissoko that changed the game since every report on the planet is giving him MoTM performance for your team is beyond belief.

Without Vertonghen getting injured there will be NO SISSOKO ON THE PITCH. How is that difficult to understand?

Well if I do remember Sissoko was training before Vertonghen got injured. And he was the only one who went to get ready so yes, WE don't know when it would have happened, or what would have been the game with Vertonghen; Try to make assumptions on something that didn't happen makes no sense; but clearly Sissoko was prepared himself to go on the pitch. So it's actually wrong to assert "there will no be Sissoko on the pitch."

Actually I do remember pundits asking themselves if Poch was going to change things at halftime with Sissoko or before. And this was before the injury. Maybe it would have been for Wanyama or Sanchez and not Vert. I think Rose was pretty good and in form during the game. But It's in his plan...

Anyway a good manager is also someone who can adjust his team through the progression of the game. Sissoko was probably not fit enough to start that kind of game as Dembele was not fit when Valverde sub him. Things didn't happen as planned and Poch reacted. I don't get the bitter criticism...

The only criticism I could make is about Trippier. Foyth is clearly better but also less experiment so.

Last edited:

Yagami

Good post resistant
Can't be too harsh on him for last night. He only has two quality players at his disposal and neither were available. To get this far with this squad, whilst achieving top 4, is impressive.

Enigma_87

You know who
Well if I do remember Sissoko was training before Vertnoghen got injured. And he was the only one who went to get ready so yes, WE don't know when it would have happened, or what would have been the game with Vertonghen. Try to make assumptions on something that didn't happen make no sense, but clearly Sissoko was prepared himself to go on the pitch. So it's actually wrong to assert there will no be Sissoko on the pitch.

Actually I do remember pundits asking themselves if Poch was going to change things at halftime with Sissoko or before. And this was before the injury. Maybe it would have be for Wanyama or Sanchez and not Vert. I think Rose was pretty good and in form during the game. But It's in his plan...

Anyway a good manager is also someone who can adjust his team through the progression of the game. Sissoko was probably not fit enough to start that king of game as Dembele was not fit when Valverde sub him. Things didn't happen as planned and Poch reacts. I don't get the bitter criticism...

The only criticism I could make is about Trippier. Foyth is clearly better but also less experiment so.
My issue is that Poch followers have become like a cult. He gets praised for everything and rarely criticized as you have excuses for everything.

Sure Sissoko might have been introduced at some point but IMO not before half time. Their midfield clearly wasn't working. Ajax had a good one two that nearly made it 0-2 - which would most probably put the tie to bed and out of their reach.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
The thing is - the injury forced his hand and wasn't some kind of brilliant tactics. If he didn't introduce Sissoko he might have been 2-0 down at HT. He should've been 2-0 down at FT even with him, but that's another matter. Spurs were utterly clueless in the final third last night.
It wasn’t only the Sissoko introduction that change the tide of the game, but also Pochettino brilliant game management where he changed the formation and tactics of his team prior to the substitution. Ajax wasn’t as dominant as they were when that happened.

If Sissoko was fully fit, he would have started. Instead, he just came back from an injury and Poch had to be cautious. This is what happens when you have the worst depth out of all their elite rivals. You have to work with what you got and Pochettino did that. Unfortunately what he got isn’t as good as what other top team has. You say Spurs was utterly clueless in the final third..I wonder why that was. Regardless, they still were able to come up with a plan that with more quality up front, they would have gotten back into the game.

Enigma_87

You know who
It wasn’t only the Sissoko introduction that change the tide of the game, but also Pochettino brilliant game management where he changed the formation and tactics of his team prior to the substitution. Ajax wasn’t as dominant as they were when that happened.

If Sissoko was fully fit, he would have started. Instead, he just came back from an injury and Poch had to be cautious. This is what happens when you have the worst depth out of all their elite rivals. You have to work with what you got and Pochettino did that. Unfortunately what he got isn’t as good as what other top team has. You say Spurs was utterly clueless in the final third..I wonder why that was. Regardless, they still were able to come up with a plan that with more quality up front, they would have gotten back into the game.
They changed the approach, but still it was Ajax in control before the sub. Another report from the game:

30MINS
8:33PM · TUESDAY
Spurs have responded in the last few minutes trying to find an equaliser but Erik ten Hag’s men are still very much in control of this affair. The hosts are depleted of so many of their star men, particularly missing Kane and Son up front, and are struggling to gather any kind of pace or cutting edge in attack.
then after the sub:

43MINS
8:45PM · TUESDAY
Tottenham starting to get a bit more of a foothold on the game now, pushing bodies higher up the pitch in the hope of finding Eriksen, Alli and Llorente in attacking positions.
Possession stats from first half:

Spurs 41% - Ajax 59%

Passes:
188 - 266

Accurate passes:
135 (72%) - 219 (82%)

Possession stats second half:

Spurs 60% - Ajax - 40%

Passes 290 - 191
Accurate passes 211 (73%) - 126 (66%)

You can easily see the difference that was made in midfield.

Spurs made it much more physical and harder for Ajax. Their passing accuracy didn't really go up - they were still clueless in attack, but put the pressure more on Ajax (combination with Ajax pulling back in the last half an hour), which meant less time on the ball for the Dutch causing them to make more errors and to create less chances.

We might guess if and when Sissoko would be on the pitch, who he would've replaced (although doubt it would be Vertonghen without the injury). The fact is it was him and that early in the game so that Spurs are still in it for the second leg.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Poch made the wrong call to start as Spurs did last night, he also gambled with a change of personnel, bringing Sissoko on after the injury.
The fact is Ajax controlled the game, they never really looked in danger of conceding, they had the best chance of the second half, a masterful away performance to which Spurs and Poch had no answer.
Poch generally gets praised for bringing in youth and improving players, yet when he has a record like he has over the last 20odd games he gets excused with 'hes got injuries' or ' the squad is poor'.
You can't have your cake and eat it. He's undoubtedly a decent manager but I think people need to wake up and see that he isn't the Messiah.
I still believe Spurs will get through, however Poch will have to actually tactically outthink Ajax as they cannot go toe to toe with them.

RooneyLegend

The biggest change in the match was Spurs deciding to go against the whole build up from the back and try to go through them approach and decided to knock balls forward into Llorente.

Llorente is being criticized for not having much of a goal threat but strangely isn't being praised for his hold up play. He won almost everything against the Ajax defenders.

Untd55

Missing Son and Kane is a massive blow for Tottenham, so I am not really surprised they were not a huge threat. I don't understand how people are thinking this is not a massive factor when it undoubtedly is. Not just missing your top scorer but also your second top scorer - really bad luck.

I actually think that Winks is a massive loss to them also (this has been ignored by a lot of people). High energy, good at closing down, keeps the ball moving. The injuries have certainly limited the ways that Pochettino can play.

With Son and Sissoko back though, I think people are too readily ruling them out for the second leg. I think they will be far more aggressive in the next game.

Amadaeus

They changed the approach, but still it was Ajax in control before the sub. Another report from the game:

then after the sub:

Possession stats from first half:

Spurs 41% - Ajax 59%

Passes:
188 - 266

Accurate passes:
135 (72%) - 219 (82%)

Possession stats second half:

Spurs 60% - Ajax - 40%

Passes 290 - 191
Accurate passes 211 (73%) - 126 (66%)

You can easily see the difference that was made in midfield.

Spurs made it much more physical and harder for Ajax. Their passing accuracy didn't really go up - they were still clueless in attack, but put the pressure more on Ajax (combination with Ajax pulling back in the last half an hour), which meant less time on the ball for the Dutch causing them to make more errors and to create less chances.

We might guess if and when Sissoko would be on the pitch, who he would've replaced (although doubt it would be Vertonghen without the injury). The fact is it was him and that early in the game so that Spurs are still in it for the second leg.
Ajax was dominant the first 30 minutes, there is no point putting out possession stat for that half as it will take awhile for Spurs to take back that dominance unless Ajax didn’t touch the ball the remainder of the half. Even with what you quoted, it stated that Spurs has responded, which suits my narrative and by the 43 minutes it was clear who was starting to be the more dominant side. What was clear was that Ajax wasn’t as dominant as they were after the formation change and substitution.

If I am an Ajax fan, I would be concerned about the second leg because I assume that Sissoko and Son will be fit and Pochettino will not go with a three in the back for this leg. If Kane, Winks and Aurier is fit, I would place huge money that Spurs would easily overturn the tie in the next leg because Spurs made Ajax look like a relegation team when they changed formation. With Sissoko and their second best goal scorer in Son playing, if Ajax is not mentally focused, they could be in for a surprising result.

Enigma_87

You know who
Ajax was dominant the first 30 minutes, there is no point putting out possession stat for that half as it will take awhile for Spurs to take back that dominance unless Ajax didn’t touch the ball the remainder of the half. Even with what you quoted, it stated that Spurs has responded, which suits my narrative and by the 43 minutes it was clear who was starting to be the more dominant side. What was clear was that Ajax wasn’t as dominant as they were after the formation change and substitution.
which was my point all along.

If I am an Ajax fan, I would be concerned about the second leg because I assume that Sissoko and Son will be fit and Pochettino will not go with a three in the back for this leg. If Kane, Winks and Aurier is fit, I would place huge money that Spurs would easily overturn the tie in the next leg because Spurs made Ajax look like a relegation team when they changed formation. With Sissoko and their second best goal scorer in Son playing, if Ajax is not mentally focused, they could be in for a surprising result.
Yeah, no doubt the tie is not over yet. Still question remains how Spurs will line up in the away tie. Vertonghen will be most likely missing. Son will be back in the team but doubt Kane will as well. After the last injury he didn't look good before regaining some fitness and it could as well backfire introducing him early.

Bear in mind that Ajax have killer game on counters - something Juve and Real learned too well. THey definitely have the advantage so far.

MagicKarpet

Supports
Tottenham
Whilst this is true, you also have to account the fact that Poch came after Spurs got the Bale money and spent 110m pounds the year before.

During that Summer they got Eriksen (their second best player), Lamela - still playing for them. And during Poch they sold Capoue, Chadli, Chiriches, Soldado and Paulinho - recouping most of their money there.

You are comparing them with the nearest rivals, but since then Spurs won diddle squat compared to:

Man City - PL, 3 LC
Chelsea - 2 PL, 1 FA, 1 LC
Man Utd - 1 EL, 1 FA, 1 LC
Liverpool - CL final
Everton - Nothing
Arsenal - 2 FA cup
Spurs - 1 LC final
Leicester - with next to nothing indeed - 1 PL

In other words whilst being solid top four during his stint he also has nothing to show for in terms of trophies. All those teams that spend more than him actually won something and the only team that outspent him and did less was Everton.
Right but that doesn't really alter my point though does it?, Spurs still had to sell to buy players which reflect favorably on the manager whether it was players from a previous tenure is hardly here nor there, it's not Poch's fault that Spurs had spent that much money on those players, either way my point still stands, he only got to use that money because they had to effectively weaken the squad whilst selling those players, it's relative.

And I'm comparing Spurs to their nearest rivals spend wise not trophies, although I mentioned earlier in the thread the very fact that Spurs are competing amongst the top 4 consistently now and being judged on trophies says more about his management. Throughout my time Spurs were never taken this seriously as a club (supported them since 1990), now they are seen as a club who should be winning trophies year in year out just tells you the kind of work he's put in at Spurs. Don't get me wrong we ought to have won something by now under his tenure but the lack of trophies won't define him as a manager just yet considering the kind of financial constraints he's been put under thus far.

You're actually solidifying my point about spend/money, the fact that you've brought up trophies goes hand in hand with my point. Had Spurs actually spent money anywhere akin to what their rivals had spent then we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.

My point is that this keeps brought up that Poch spent nothing and got Spurs where they are and he has done some kind of an awesome job.

But where they are exactly? Spurs were top 4 contender before he joined and got top finish in 2 of the last 5 years before he joined. Sure he got 4 out of 5 during his tenure, but to claim he has punched above their weight is not accurate. You can use that for Simeone or Ranieri, but Poch who won nothing is a bit too much.

Your investment and return of investment is spot on to what you actually got during that time. For example United prioritized EL in 16/17 instead of top 4 and it showed in the final standings.

It's easier to come up with top four finish compared to some of the rivals when you are out of all other competitions come April.
Okay a couple of things with this:

Would you not agree that taking a team who have the 6th least best resources compared to their immediate rivals for a top four spot and improving them so they are consistently qualifying for a top 4 place is a good job, all with the spend of £29m during his tenure?

Spurs were a top 4 contender but had only finished in the top 4 twice under Redknapp, first time as Man City weren't an established top team as they are now and 2nd time is because we took advantage of an unusual Chelsea drop off that season, Liverpool weren't as good as they are now either and thus there was no established top 6. Poch has managed to finish in the top 4 3 times out of 4 and will probably be 4 out of 5 where there are now 6 very good teams constantly breaking spending records vying for 4 spots, whatever way you spin it, that's an astounding job.

I'm afraid Spurs punching above their weight is entirely accurate, how else are you meant to measure a club's 'weight' other than finances and resources? Everything else is subjective player ability/mentality/history/manager ability etc...There's a consistent correlation in Sports that shows that teams with more money are more successful and they tend to finish high up in the league and vice versa for teams with small resources save the odd anomolie like Leicester for example. Spurs have the 6th highest resources and wage bill compared to their rivals, they cannot and do not have the luxury of stupidly spending £350k or £500k a week on wages for players nor can they just merely risk dropping £50m on a player and moving him on for a loss if he doesn't work out, Levy needs to manage the finances particularly whilst he has a stadium project to manage and Poch needs to manage the players - if they were able to then you wouldn't see the likes of Foyth and Davies coming off the bench in a CL Semi final in order to gain a foothold in the match for example, so yes Spurs are punching well above their weight.

I really don't understand your last sentence, surely using that logic then it's difficult to maintain competing for a top four place during the season then seeing as you're likely to be in 3/4 competitions, also I'm not sure who or what season you are referring to?, Spurs have been in latter competitions whilst trying to finish in the top four...I think you need to explain that one cause you've lost me.

That being said the ciriticism that he hasn't won a trophy is fair, as I mentioned earlier it's disappointing that he hasn't delivered one yet but the man has far too much credit in his locker for that to be an issue for me or the club right now, he needs to be backed and I suspect he will be in the summer.

redIndianDevil

Why am I seeing a lot of "look at the number of injuries for Ole" type posts here in the last few pages.

redIndianDevil

Why is this thread even relevant ?
I thought the title was "a serious look at Pochettino" but I don't get the comparison with Ole for the game with Ajax. We didn't go out of the CL against Ajax. So when Spurs fans post a legitimate concern that their best players are injured why are United fans bringing up our injuries ?

Micky Targaryen

This Ole vs Poch argument is getting a bit too tiresome. Pointless stats getting thrown in as well. Personally, these 2 factors is enough for me to see which is the better manager; League position and CV. I'd give anything to swap our position on the table with Spurs at the moment. I don't get why people are too eager to downplay Poch and scrutinize each and every of his mistakes. We have committed far more errors than Spurs, hence it's illustrated on the league table. If Ole wasn't a club legend, would this debate still be alive?

Before anyone say it's too early to judge Ole's performance, I'm not judging. I love the legend, and I'd agree to give him a full season and at least 2 transfer windows to get it right. But right now, I'm still convinced that Poch is the right man for the job and I hope to see him at our club sooner rather than later.

The Nani

I thought the title was "a serious look at Pochettino" but I don't get the comparison with Ole for the game with Ajax. We didn't go out of the CL against Ajax. So when Spurs fans post a legitimate concern that their best players are injured why are United fans bringing up our injuries ?
Because this is now the “We should’ve hired Poch what were we thinking hiring Ole” thread.

Enigma_87

You know who
@MagicKarpet that's a fair comment mate. Agree with some points that you made. He has done a good job as I've said couple of times, but that good job to be considered a great job needs titles, at least for me.

My last sentence was in regards to all seasons but this current one, as City, United, etc waned in some of them due to distractions in other competitions which helped Spurs achieve their 3rd places.

Spurs had one great season in the league in 16-17 when they won 86 points, but before that since Arry you were still regularly making 69 or more points in 4 of the 5 seasons before Poch, which is comparable to the other seasons under Poch.

Of course there's more stability in the results, but let's see how you'll cope with potentially losing Eriksen in the Summer and also having to do a bit of a rebuild, including buying some squad players.

Champ

This Ole vs Poch argument is getting a bit too tiresome. Pointless stats getting thrown in as well. Personally, these 2 factors is enough for me to see which is the better manager; League position and CV. I'd give anything to swap our position on the table with Spurs at the moment. I don't get why people are too eager to downplay Poch and scrutinize each and every of his mistakes. We have committed far more errors than Spurs, hence it's illustrated on the league table. If Ole wasn't a club legend, would this debate still be alive?

Before anyone say it's too early to judge Ole's performance, I'm not judging. I love the legend, and I'd agree to give him a full season and at least 2 transfer windows to get it right. But right now, I'm still convinced that Poch is the right man for the job and I hope to see him at our club sooner rather than later.
Wouldn't United sit above Spurs in the league had the season begun when Ole started as manager??
Bit of a moot point saying you'd swap the positions round when Ole has only had a third of a season, yet has a better points record than Poch since he joined!

Micky Targaryen

Wouldn't United sit above Spurs in the league had the season begun when Ole started as manager??
Bit of a moot point saying you'd swap the positions round when Ole has only had a third of a season, yet has a better points record than Poch since he joined!
We shall judge next season shall we? Then again, Poch will most likely not get as big a budget as Ole on the next window though.

Champ

We shall judge next season shall we? Then again, Poch will most likely not get as big a budget as Ole on the next window though.
And thus have another excuse if not out performing Ole.
We can only judge Ole next season anyhow.

Amadaeus

Honeymoon period unfortunately doesn’t last the entire season or happens when the manager is here for awhile. What we are seeing now is the true United and perhaps Ole’s managerial capabilities. As a United fan, that is worrying as our form seems closer to Cardiff than our top four rivals. Moreover, If United spends £200m+ again and Spurs spend less than £100m, it will be an embarrassment for United not to finish above Spurs. If the spending is even, it will be a good battle for the league next season.

Last edited:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
How do you know he would?

el3mel

This is pure assumption though ? I don't think Poch is as great as people are making him out to be but what you said here is just assumption.

Champ

This is pure assumption though ? I don't think Poch is as great as people are making him out to be but what you said here is just assumption.
Has Ole won more points than Poch in the league since he became manager? I haven't checked but I'm pretty sure he has, so had the season began at that time then Ole would be ahead of Poch, no assumption, just Rafa style facts :lol:

el3mel

Has Ole won more points than Poch in the league since he became manager? I haven't checked but I'm pretty sure he has, so had the season began at that time then Ole would be ahead of Poch, no assumption, just Rafa style facts :lol:
He did but we're talking about the entire season not just half of it, aren't we ?

Champ

He did but we're talking about the entire season not just half of it, aren't we ?
Oles only been in charge for part of the season though??!
Is Oles record in the league since he's been in charge better than Pochs? That's the question that requires answering, and one which I think has escaped you...

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Is Oles record in the league since he's been in charge better than Pochs? That's the question that requires answering, and one which I think has escaped you...
if you go from when Ole got the managers job full time and push that form to since the start of the season I think you'd be in the bottom 3

but if you want to play stupid games and push it to since he replaced Jose then yeah, I think he's a couple of points better off, not sure what your point is?

Thunderhead

Supports
City
here you go since 19th December, United have 8 more points than Spurs

1 Manchester City 19 8 0 1 23 6 8 0 2 19 6 30 48
2 Liverpool 19 9 1 0 35 8 5 3 1 12 5 34 46
3 Manchester United 19 6 3 1 19 12 6 0 3 16 10 13 39
4 Arsenal 19 8 0 1 24 7 2 2 6 8 19 6 32
5 Tottenham Hotspur 19 7 1 3 20 8 3 0 5 14 12 14 31

United are 14th in the league since Ole took over as Manager, not bottom 3, my bad.

12 Watford 6 1 1 2 6 5 1 0 1 3 3 1 7
13 Newcastle United 5 1 0 1 3 2 1 1 1 2 3 0 7
14 Manchester United 6 2 1 1 5 5 0 0 2 1 6 -5 7
15 Arsenal 6 1 0 1 4 3 1 0 3 2 7 -4 6
16 AFC Bournemouth 5 0 0 2 1 4 1 1 1 8 5 0 4
17 West Ham United 5 0 1 1 2 4 1 0 2 2 4 -4 4
18 Cardiff City 6 0 0 2 1 4 1 0 3 2 5 -6 3
19 Brighton and Hove Albion 7 0 1 3 1 9 0 1 2 0 4 -12 2
20 Huddersfield Town 5 0 0 2 2 6 0 0 3 0 11 -15 0

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
"Since Ole took over as manager" and ignore his record from december :lol:

MagicKarpet

Supports
Tottenham
@MagicKarpet that's a fair comment mate. Agree with some points that you made. He has done a good job as I've said couple of times, but that good job to be considered a great job needs titles, at least for me.

My last sentence was in regards to all seasons but this current one, as City, United, etc waned in some of them due to distractions in other competitions which helped Spurs achieve their 3rd places.

Spurs had one great season in the league in 16-17 when they won 86 points, but before that since Arry you were still regularly making 69 or more points in 4 of the 5 seasons before Poch, which is comparable to the other seasons under Poch.

Of course there's more stability in the results, but let's see how you'll cope with potentially losing Eriksen in the Summer and also having to do a bit of a rebuild, including buying some squad players.
Spurs were also in the latter stages of other competitions in those seasons as well so again it's relative.

2015/16 Went out of the FA Cup and EL in March
2016/17 Still in the FA Cup in April
2017/18 Still in the FA cup in April

But then this can hardly be used as an excuse really seeing as other teams have bigger budgets and therefore should have the capability of rotating and freshening up their squads due to the quality and numbers on the bench.

Also why people keep comparing point tallies across different seasons I'll never know, for example Spurs finished 5th in 2012/13 with 72 points, they finished 3rd in 2015/16 with 69 points, it's meaningless.

el3mel

That's exactly my point isn't it? You said Ole would have been higher than Poch in the table if he managed the entire season whne you should have just said he just had better record than Poch in this half a season. Assuming we would be higher than Poch in the table if Ole got the job from the start is just as it's, assumption.

We don't know if the great form we had on his start would have been the rule or the crap run we are having currently, so you should have just said he had better record than Poch since he got the job, without assuming things if he got the job from the start of the season.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Not resting any players?

Weird
If they draw today and Arsenal and Chelsea win:

Spurs 71 points
Chelsea 71 points
Arsenal 69

Spurs have messed up so many last days and it's feasible with how they're playing Everton can come and beat them on the last day.

They want top 4 sorted today and think they've got enough to win at Bournemouth.

Saturday lunchtime to Wednesday evening is good length to recover aswell.

AJ10

here you go since 19th December, United have 8 more points than Spurs

1 Manchester City 19 8 0 1 23 6 8 0 2 19 6 30 48
2 Liverpool 19 9 1 0 35 8 5 3 1 12 5 34 46
3 Manchester United 19 6 3 1 19 12 6 0 3 16 10 13 39
4 Arsenal 19 8 0 1 24 7 2 2 6 8 19 6 32
5 Tottenham Hotspur 19 7 1 3 20 8 3 0 5 14 12 14 31

United are 14th in the league since Ole took over as Manager, not bottom 3, my bad.

12 Watford 6 1 1 2 6 5 1 0 1 3 3 1 7
13 Newcastle United 5 1 0 1 3 2 1 1 1 2 3 0 7
14 Manchester United 6 2 1 1 5 5 0 0 2 1 6 -5 7
15 Arsenal 6 1 0 1 4 3 1 0 3 2 7 -4 6
16 AFC Bournemouth 5 0 0 2 1 4 1 1 1 8 5 0 4
17 West Ham United 5 0 1 1 2 4 1 0 2 2 4 -4 4
18 Cardiff City 6 0 0 2 1 4 1 0 3 2 5 -6 3
19 Brighton and Hove Albion 7 0 1 3 1 9 0 1 2 0 4 -12 2
20 Huddersfield Town 5 0 0 2 2 6 0 0 3 0 11 -15 0
What have you been smoking? :lol:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
9 losses in last 15 games in all competitions.

7 losses in last 11 league games.