A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

GM K

9/10 times, it ends up being a bad decision not to sign quality players during the Summer transfer window when you are either chasing the title, the champions league or a top four position as Spurs and United are learning painfully.

Toad

They lost more when he was playing
It’s odd, when he isn’t playing they seem to play better but when he does play he still scores the goals but they end up losing or drawing. It’s as if the defence don’t bother trying because they think Kane will bail them out

Yagami

Good post resistant
Down to 9 and Bournemouth struggled to create 2 decent chances. Not bad defensive organisation.

Now he's missing Son and Kane - his only two quality players - against a good Everton team with André Gomes back. Ought oh.

slored1

I'm starting to believe that this Spurs team is mentally the weakest in the league. They slip everytime under the pressure, if I was Poch, I would walk away from this bunch of bottlers.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Down to 9 and Bournemouth struggled to create 2 decent chances. Not bad defensive organisation.

Now he's missing Son and Kane - his only two quality players - against a good Everton team with André Gomes back. Ought oh.
Think they'll appeal Son ban.

Everton are playing really well so can see that being a rare draw for Spurs and then they're relying on Chelsea and Arsenal not winning final day. Or Man. United not beating Cardiff 12-0 of course.

GM K

I'm starting to believe that this Spurs team is mentally the weakest in the league. They slip everytime under the pressure, if I was Poch, I would walk away from this bunch of bottlers.
They are serious bottlers, really. But could Poch be the problem?

Yagami

Good post resistant
Think they'll appeal Son ban.

Everton are playing really well so can see that being a rare draw for Spurs and then they're relying on Chelsea and Arsenal not winning final day. Or Man. United not beating Cardiff 12-0 of course.
Think it's too late to include us in this discussion :p

The time for them to invest was summer 2015 and summer 2016. That 14/15 team was their best team by miles.

slored1

They are serious bottlers, really. But could Poch be the problem?
No, I think he wants to change their mentality, but the players always let him down. Just look at this season, so many games when they dominated but threw it all away when it really mattered (Liverpool, United at home, Southampton, Inter away in the CL). Levy is just not giving him any serious money to rebuild the team, that's why Dier, Lamela, Janssen, Trippier and the likes still play.

ArjenIsM3

When the board dont sign any players.
Right so let me get this straight. When Poch loses it's because of the board. When Solskjaer loses it's all his fault and we should hire Poch. And that's ignoring the fact that Poch had been building this squad for years. On a relatively tight budget, yes, but still. That budget is still 10x bigger than that of Ajax for example. Who they lost to in the CL at home. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a decent guy and a good manager but he's overrated on here. People calling for Ole to be sacked and for us to hire Poch in his stead are, as @Wumminator put it, cowards.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The biggest question mark of Pochettino is the mentality of the Spurs team.

It is not his fault that Spurs are Spursy and have been Spursy for decades. However, part of the manager's job is to change the mentality of the club. That is what Fergie did when he came into Man Utd. That's what Mourinho did when he went to Chelsea. Take a good team and make them believe they're a great team, make them believe they can do it when it needs doing.

I don't doubt Pochettino's creds as a coach, I don't question his record nurturing players and helping them progress. I question whether a guy like Pochettino is the man you bring into a team that's never done it, as opposed to one that's got an established group of winners who just need someone to keep them ticking over.

haram

Right so let me get this straight. When Poch loses it's because of the board. When Solskjaer loses it's all his fault and we should hire Poch. And that's ignoring the fact that Poch had been building this squad for years. On a relatively tight budget, yes, but still. That budget is still 10x bigger than that of Ajax for example. Who they lost to in the CL at home. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a decent guy and a good manager but he's overrated on here. People calling for Ole to be sacked and for us to hire Poch in his stead are, as @Wumminator put it, cowards.
He’s in a CL semi final and hasn’t had real investment for a few windows now. They have no depth. Get some perspective.

crossy1686

career ending
He’s in a CL semi final and hasn’t had real investment for a few windows now. They have no depth. Get some perspective.
He's done a great job with what he's got but they are 'his' players, we can't say the same for Solskjær.

Also, as a side note, Levy has said Pochettino will have over £100m to spend this summer. I'm calling bullshit. He won't have that amount unless he sells Eriksson and maybe one other. No way he's got £100m to spend just like that.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So theyve lost 5 of their last 6, having only a few weeks before that run going 1w - 1d - 4l, and a few weeks before that losing 3 games in 4.

In all competitions in 2019 they have:
13 wins - 1 draw - 12 losses

Yet people will use the run we are on now as justification for why we shouldve gone for Pochettino and not hired Ole, when overall, his run has been far worse this year.

Poch is a very good manager. But he really hasnt impressed this season. The way they collapse every year is a really black mark against him. Not the first time they lost their tempers in a game when shit doesnt go well.

haram

He's done a great job with what he's got but they are 'his' players, we can't say the same for Solskjær.

Also, as a side note, Levy has said Pochettino will have over £100m to spend this summer. I'm calling bullshit. He won't have that amount unless he sells Eriksson and maybe one other. No way he's got £100m to spend just like that.
Well he barely has any players half the time.

ArjenIsM3

You're right this season they didn't invest because of the new stadium. Last season they spent over 100 million though. The season before that about 80 million? We lack depth too. We did well in the CL too. You tell me to get some perspective re Poch but when it comes to Ole you refuse to do just that.

haram

You're right this season they didn't invest because of the new stadium. Last season they spent over 100 million though. The season before that about 80 million? We lack depth too. We did well in the CL too. You tell me to get some perspective re Poch but when it comes to Ole you refuse to do just that.
What do you mean refuse to have perspective on Ole? I blame the board more than I blame Ole. When a team goes on a run like we have the manager needs to be questioned. Where did I say Poch was perfect? In fact I have been critical of him before on this very forum.

rotherham_red

So theyve lost 5 of their last 6, having only a few weeks before that run going 1w - 1d - 4l, and a few weeks before that losing 3 games in 4.

In all competitions in 2019 they have:
13 wins - 1 draw - 12 losses

Yet people will use the run we are on now as justification for why we shouldve gone for Pochettino and not hired Ole, when overall, his run has been far worse this year.

Poch is a very good manager. But he really hasnt impressed this season. The way they collapse every year is a really black mark against him. Not the first time they lost their tempers in a game when shit doesnt go well.
Yup.

There's literally zero patience from that particular band of twats in the Ole thread. And I'm not necessarily referring to Amadeus, Rhyme Animal etc, but the flip floppers who spent 3 months fellating Ole and now the last month or so denigrating him. At least with the former they've been consistent in what they've said. The others meanwhile...

crossy1686

career ending
Well he barely has any players half the time.
Very true. They've been really unlucky with injuries this season, although I did read a piece on Kane and the ankle injury he keeps picking up. Apparently the way he goes into challenges, as a CF closing down defenders and sticking a foot in which is part of his game, means he will always pick up this recurring injury and he'll have to change the way he plays if he want's to avoid it in the future.

So has he really been that unlucky if he knows this?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yup.

There's literally zero patience from that particular band of twats in the Ole thread. And I'm not necessarily referring to Amadeus, Rhyme Animal etc, but the flip floppers who spent 3 months fellating Ole and now the last month or so denigrating him. At least with the former they've been consistent in what they've said. The others meanwhile...
Yep. I've been very critical of our previous managers post Fergie but feck, just give them some time at least. He hasnt even had a summer, transfer window or pre season to properly get his ideas in and turn the squad over a bit. Things were going brilliantly until our players straight up couldnt handle his style physically. That just tells me we need a good window to get his own players in and we'll improve massively. The others fecked up the most by making the squad worse with each passing window, so had to go.

ArjenIsM3

What do you mean refuse to have perspective on Ole? I blame the board more than I blame Ole. When a team goes on a run like we have the manager needs to be questioned. Where did I say Poch was perfect? In fact I have been critical of him before on this very forum.
What I mean is you're on here right now defending Poch when he's on a worse run than Ole yet he's the one you've been questioning.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Poch with 0 signings managed to reach a CL semi and is still third in the PL. He's on a rough patch lately though.