A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Code-CX

Oh well.

I’m past the point of being angry with our club’s decisions. It’s quite comical now really.

Baxter

Didn’t do much more than launch balls up to Llorente. Motivation seems to be the most important facet in management at the moment.

shabz

You need the luck to complement the talent on the big stage. Poch has the talent and tonight he got the luck. Hats off to him.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Great manager. Pretty mindbending that Spurs picked him up around the same time we annointed Moyes.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Motivation seems to be the most important facet in management at the moment.
I've said that for ages. It definitely is. Pep isn't great at adapting his tactics (see Liverpool hammerings despite what should've been an obvious approach to most), Klopp is a big motivator. Quality players and lots of motivation from the manager is how they're doing it.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Klopp spent much at Dortmund when he won those titles?

I'm a big fan of Poch but you are wrong here.

You are telling us someone who has won nothing is better than Klopp and Pep.
The bundesliga is nothing compared to the premier league. Winning something in that league is easier than winning something in the premier league. Give Pochettino similar resources Pep and Guardiola has the past few years and the answer might become clearer to you.

Baxter

I've said that for ages. It definitely is. Pep isn't great at adapting his tactics (see Liverpool hammerings despite what should've been an obvious approach to most), Klopp is a big motivator. Quality players and lots of motivation from the manager is how they're doing it.
Compare that to guys like Tuchel and Emery where it seems to always be one bad run away from disaster. Players seem to always be problematic. Jose seems to have lost that too.

Guardiola probably the most complete in that he’s obviously a tactician but his players run through walls for him too.

Josep Dowling

Yes lets turn this into an Ole bashing thread, fecking predictable
Change the tune mate, I see you think you’re some top red by backing our manager. He’s no where near the level of Poch, Klopp and Pep and never will be. He will he gone by November... quote me next season.

BlueHaze

The bundesliga is nothing compared to the premier league. Winning something in that league is easier than winning something in the premier league. Give Pochettino similar resources Pep and Guardiola has the past few years and the answer might become clearer to you.
I give up. You completely disregard that Klopp won over Bayern the most dominant side that country has ever had with a bunch of players that no one had ever heard of. Kagawa, Lewandowski, Schmeltzer, Blaszykowski, Hummels, Subotic etc. Had you ever heard the names of any of these prior to their success at Dortmund? The fact that you disregard what he did with Dortmund shows your incapability of being objective and even I hate Klopp..

wythyred

Why the feck is he balling his eyes out in the BT sport interview.

They haven’t even won anything yet?
:lol::lol:

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
yeah I can agree with that. 13 PL losses concerns me but he is undoubtedly a good coach
Incredible coach who is consistently overachieving with what he has.

Should have absolutely been first choice to replace Jose. It's actually too obvious.

If we didn't approach him with the vacancy it's yet another huge failing from Woodward et al. But, as I said in my previous post, just because I think it should have been Poch doesn't mean I'm unhappy with Olé. He's just a much bigger gamble.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Compare that to guys like Tuchel and Emery where it seems to always be one bad run away from disaster. Players seem to always be problematic. Jose seems to have lost that too.

Guardiola probably the most complete in that he’s obviously a tactician but his players run through walls for him too.
I think Pep is great at setting his team up to play that style that he wants and providing the motivation to do it, but not that great if he really needs to change it. But yeah, others just seem to struggle with respect and getting things going properly so everyone is on board.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Change the tune mate, I see you think you’re some top red by backing our manager. He’s no where near the level of Poch, Klopp and Pep and never will be. He will he gone by November... quote me next season.
And I think you'd be happy to be proven right, which is quite sad actually.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Hope his luck doesn't run out during or before the final. A goal in the 95 min. FFS. Oh, if only that happened in the final..."4-0 was our pinnacle that year, la; we lost the final but we were the moral winners, we broke barça la!"

Ban

We will. Now come of it.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

I thought that, but then I thought about how much work he's probably put in. Way more than players do. His job will carry on long after they go home. I guess putting a lot into something and seeing it pay off can be overwhelming.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus

All the hard work he's done to get to this point, the fact they were less than 1 minute away from going out of the competition and at the dying moments you get the goal to put you in the final with a club not expected to be anywhere even close to the final of the highest level in football the CL

Castia

But guys he’s not won anything....

Any of those muppets still hanging around? anybody who’s ever watched a game of football can see how good a Poch is.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Oh well.

I’m past the point of being angry with our club’s decisions. It’s quite comical now really.
That is it. That is the word. Comical. Ed, board or whoever made the call, decided to hire Ole while having this guy around. Unbelievable decision.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I give up. You completely disregard that Klopp won over Bayern the most dominant side that country has ever had with a bunch of players that no one had ever heard of. Kagawa, Lewandowski, Schmeltzer, Blaszykowski, Hummels, Subotic etc. Had you ever heard the names of any of these prior to their success at Dortmund? The fact that you disregard what he did with Dortmund shows your incapability of being objective and even I hate Klopp..
A one horse league. What Klopp did was amazing but I doubt he would have won the premier league with that Dortmund side. He has a much much better Liverpool team and he has been struggling to win a trophy.

Hoof the ball

Funny how his own player stated that this win wasn't tactical, it was just hard work!!
Fair play to Poch and Spurs, but he didn't exactly play a tactical blinder here!
Could end up being a decent season for Spurs after all!
I'd say there is some element of it that was tactical. Llorente coming on and them hitting him with the high balls changed everything. The ball stuck to him, and he held it up long enough to let Spurs get players flooded into Ajax's half. Don't sleep on that change. Those high balls to Llorente were very significant.

Inter Yer Nan

Big fan of him. Carries himself with class and dignity for the most part and gets the most our of his players and has far less resources than his rivals. Quality manager. Let's hope the European cup gets it's first South American winning manager this year!

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
A one horse league. What Klopp did was amazing but I doubt he would have won the premier league with that Dortmund side. He has a much much better Liverpool team and he has been struggling to win a trophy.
That Dortmund side almost won the CL, they'd have certainly had a decent go at it from 10-13.

Josep Dowling

And I think you'd be happy to be proven right, which is quite sad actually.
I’m a realist, there is nothing being done at the club to suggest next season will be any better, in fact it looks like it will get a helluva lot worst, and with that the manager is always first to go.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Definitely, Klopp and Pep are amazing managers as well, but they have a quality team and spend so much more than Pochettino. Pochettino resources compared to them are limited, which makes what he is achieving so remarkable. Some managers wouldn’t make that change, Pochettino did and dominated Ajax and won in the second half
I'm not a big believer in spending or not spending much meaning a lot these days. He has a very good team and that's surely down to a whole host of people finding and coaching them. It's definitely a good reflection on Spurs.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
That Llorente change....Ajax didn't/couldn't deal with it.

JustAGuest

Must be quite amusing for Spurs fans to see the delusion that's on show in here.

FujiVice

He doesnt deserve the United job. Not in that he isnt good enough. I wouldnt like to see the love of the game sucked out of him by the mob we have at the club now.

Wayne's World

What a manager. The emotion in his chat after the game just made me realise how much you can love football

Hope they do it and I'd give them every chance. Liverpool will be big favourites this time around though