A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Ban

When does the Ole bashing starts?

Anyway maybe starting Kane war a mistake. They huffed and puffed but they couldn't hurt Liverpool. Tried usual things but it wasn't meant to be.

Ban

He couldn't have set them up much better, made the right subs at the right times. Terrific achievement to get this far. Hope he sticks around for 1-2 years more so we can nab him juust incase it doesn't work out for Ole.

Sorry @Ban !
Why? :D

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Well done for getting in the final but why would you start a unfit kane.
Because he's their best player. It was also the decision the majority of people would have made, even just as per the poll on the issue the caf ran. I don't think it's a particularly baffling decision, though I did think it was the wrong one prior to the game.

MacabbiUnited

Supports
Maccabi Tel Aviv - Israel
Can we speak about the fact that this Spurs team looked utter dross in the league for the past 3 month, ended up finishing behind Chelsea, and despite making if to the final under the flukiest circumatances, didnt look up to it at all againts a very uninspiring Liverpool preformence?

I rate Poch and think he will come good eventualy, but people who diss Ole for United's poor form ahould really take a good look at what Spurs done in the past couple of month.

I think he should leave Spurs regardless. Think some star players would as well.

lsd

The Oracle
Starting Kane when anyone with a brain knew it would be a mistake shows how weak a manager he is

slored1

Not his fault that they've given away the pen after 20 seconds. Still a superb manager and would welcome him at United if he would want to come.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
No blame on him tonight. The Kane decision was 50/50 and I totally understand why he did it, perhaps a mistake but I don't think it would have made a difference.

He wasn't outclassed tactically at all, we had the possession, we had the breaks, just zero composure or quality on an individual level from the players at his disposal.

Managers can only do so much. This one was clearly all on the players.

Klopp also made a mistake in starting Firmino, but that decision won't be scrutinised because they won. They won because Sissoko decided to stick his arm out like that despite knowing the current rules, and because we couldn't clear a simple corner.

That and all our attacking players, not just Kane, offered nothing when presented with dangerous situations.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Mauricio Potchettino managed the final brilliantly, tactically Spurs outdid Liverpool but unfortunately the players bottled it on the field especially when it came to the goal scoring chances.
Exactly, top manager. Let down by his players. If I was Pochettino, I would look to sell Ali as he is still rated highly in England :lol:.

If he's smart he'll get out of there for a big club as soon as an offer comes in.
I agree, anyone that is an expert in football can see how well his team was organized today, but how poor his players were.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Toothless performance but the same people pushing the bottler narrative would do just the same in the Klopp thread if the score would've been different.
The better team with the better squad won today, Poch is still a miracle worker given how far he has got this team despite not being backed last summer.

AJ10

Because he's their best player. It was also the decision the majority of people would have made, even just as per the poll on the issue the caf ran. I don't think it's a particularly baffling decision, though I did think it was the wrong one prior to the game.
They were playing so well without him, its not a hard decision since he wasn't even fit. Benching the player who took them to the final was another mistake, imagine how felt as he's the reason they got to the final.

They spurs'd it in the first few mins.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Taking Winks off was a bigger mistake than starting Kane.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
They were playing so well without him, its not a hard decision since he wasn't even fit. Benching the player who took them to the final was another mistake, imagine how felt as he's the reason they got to the final.

They spurs'd it in the first few mins.
I don't think their lacklusture performance was much to do with Kane. They were just terrible at building out from the back. When Kane got the ball he did well enough, but I found the likes of Delli Ali and Erriksen far worse than him by way of general play.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I think it says a lot about Poch that, with that freak 1st min goal aside, Spurs were in control throughout. He was just let down by his players bottling it in key situations.

Who would have thought Alli, Eriksen & Son would all struggle from crippling nerves tonight?

He had a positive effect on them in the half-time break but it wasn't enough unfortunately.

I would have Poch here at Utd in a heartbeat. Class manager.

Last edited:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I don't think their lacklusture performance was much to do with Kane. They were just terrible at building out from the back. When Kane got the ball he did well enough, but I found the likes of Delli Ali and Erriksen far worse than him by way of general play.
Eh? They were excellent playing out the back. They just couldn't make anything happen in the final third.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Eh? They were excellent playing out the back. They just couldn't make anything happen in the final third.
They retained the ball just fine at the back but they were extremely laborious in actually transitioning from their own third to the centre of the pitch let alone bringing into Liverpool's third (and when they did ultimately Erriksen and Deli offered nothing creatively). The amount of times they were passing 5 yards between their defenders was a joke. Winks was often the only player turning and carrying the ball forward.

Berbigoal

It was lose-lose situation for him. If he didn’t started him, why he is not at the pitch. If he plays him, why use out of form player. At the end of the day Kane is Their best player.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He won the tactical battle against Klopp and his team were better than Liverpool. But that silly penalty that was gifted to Liverpool ultimately cost them.

Treble

Spurs created feck all in the first half, Poch shouldn't have played both Alli and Kane, they were non-existent for the majority of the game.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Spurs created feck all in the first half, Poch shouldn't have played both Alli and Kane, they were non-existent for the majority of the game.
Alli was causing a lot of trouble with his runs off the ball and was our biggest threat, hence why he stayed on.

The problem was it never clicked with him for the final ball, but he was getting in to positions.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Its a miracle he got them into this position in first instance.

Having said that, he got it wrong tonight. Long before 'Should Kane start the final thread' was put up, I said he shouldn't mess with the XI and keep Kane on bench to bring on if required a goal. He did the complete opposite and started completely unfit Kane who did his best Lingard impersonation. Liverpool looked nervy when Moura and Son started running at them, and created few half chances in the process.

George The Best

I just don’t get what i’ve seen tonight. Don’t know if it was due to the gap between the league season and this final but both teams looked knackered early on. Thought Spurs were the better team, Poch got his tactics right but the players couldn’t deliver for some reason. After an outstanding season, that must have been the worst Liverpool performance by some margin. Early pen killed the game, but Spurs, despite their possession didn’t do enough. Kane starting was perhaps his only mistake.

Reactions: van der star

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Spurs only turned up for the last 20 minutes.

Basically an overachieving 4th place in the PL + riding on miracles in the UCL. They celebrated the miracle of the semis like a fecking title in itself: wrong mentality. A manager like SAF would have cracked the whip for that kind of naive euphoria.

Ban

I don't think they were better. They had the ball more but weren't at all dangerous for the most part.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He got lucky beating City otherwise it's been a pretty underwhelming season from him.

MalBot

Supports
Arsenal
Will be interesting to see what he does this summer. He has kinda hinted at wanting more backing in the transfer market or he will be off. He is a good manager but perhaps he has reached his limit with spurs.

How would the resident spurs fans in here rate this season? To me it seems it has been a decent season for them, the Champions League campaign has been a major plus. Pochettino rightfully got a lot of plaudits for it. Ultimately though, lost the final so still no trophies to show for it. The league campaign has been a disappointment. Scraping 4th by a single point.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I don't think they were better. They had the ball more but weren't at all dangerous for the most part.
Yeah, liverpool were extremely comfortable. The objective of football is to score goals and not concede any of your own, you're not playing better if Liverpool had more dangerous chances (which they did) than you did.

Having lots of the ball does not = being the better side, it never has. We did nothing with it.

That isn't a fault of Pochettino's tactics though, because the opportunities were there to get shots away but the players either shyed away from it or messed it up completely.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I still rate him really highly. Don't agree with the decision to start Kane, though. Even worse than that was the decision not to start Moura. Truly baffling.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Great manager.

I read the other day that their wage bill for 17-18 was around 130m. Man. United and Arsenal were both up to 240m (actually think Man. United were a bit higher than that but can't exactly recall it). Given Spurs didn't sign anyone for last year I'd imagine both of those clubs would continue to rise.

Pound for pound he's getting the very best out of their squad. Look at their regular 11, Trippier have a very forgetable season and Eriksen and Dele were well down on their levels in previous seasons. Kane missed a large chunk after xmas.

Yet they got top 4 again reasonably comfortably and were in CL final after some extraordinary knock out wins that their fans will remember for decades to come. I'm not really sure what more he can do so interesting if Juventus really make a push for him next week.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Great manager.

I read the other day that their wage bill for 17-18 was around 130m. Man. United and Arsenal were both up to 240m (actually think Man. United were a bit higher than that but can't exactly recall it). Given Spurs didn't sign anyone for last year I'd imagine both of those clubs would continue to rise.

Pound for pound he's getting the very best out of their squad. Look at their regular 11, Trippier have a very forgetable season and Eriksen and Dele were well down on their levels in previous seasons. Kane missed a large chunk after xmas.

Yet they got top 4 again reasonably comfortably and were in CL final after some extraordinary knock out wins that their fans will remember for decades to come. I'm not really sure what more he can do so interesting if Juventus really make a push for him next week.

In fairness this was more because of the ineptitude of others around us. We did everything we possibly could to throw away fourth.

But overall yes, it was a good season for the club. We spent nothing but got to a CL final and got top four, it's better than we could have hoped for.

Stevondo8

Spurs getting to the final in the first place was a miracle. They controlled the game in terms of possession, but didn't really create anything clear cut all game, had a few half chances late on but it's not like Allison was making worldies. Liverpool always felt comfortable imo. I think starting Kane was a mistake (easy in hindsight) and taking Winks off was a mistake.

Ban

Yeah, liverpool were extremely comfortable. The objective of football is to score goals and not concede any of your own, you're not playing better if Liverpool had more dangerous chances (which they did) than you did.

Having lots of the ball does not = being the better side, it never has. We did nothing with it.

That isn't a fault of Pochettino's tactics though, because the opportunities were there to get shots away but the players either shyed away from it or messed it up completely.
Yeah I don't know if it was a lack of rhythm or them being nervous but I think players will asking themselves if they could have done more. Maybe it wasn't meant to be but I think they should have been a bit more adventurous.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Spurs played better than Liverpool and won the tactical battle. Unfortunately, Pochettino just doesn’t have the talent his opposition has.

Pochettino need to leave and come to United where he can actually afford to have quality players on the pitch. United fans keep saying our team is better than Spurs, but it should now be obvious that that statement is just a myth.
No they didn’t, it was a replica of our EL final against Ajax, they’ve had the useless possession and a couple of half-chances, whilst we’ve had the goals.

Liverpool completely dominated the game and were completely in control of it until maybe the last 15 minutes when Spurs started to play with some intensity.

Men vs Boys