A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
That's absolute bollocks - how many times were we in the lead that season? Not once is the answer - we were always chasing.

Not making excuses but let's not rewrite history here. We should have won a lot more than we have.
With all the top teams out of the way you shouldn't have been chasing Leicester. You wont ever have an easier chance than what you had that season.

Champagne Football

Being in the bottom 3 points wise for the last 15 games is more than losing a game or two. People are slating Solskjaer for our collapse at the end of last season, yet we're above Spurs and their revered manager in the form table.
Pochettino is overseeing a rebuild there. Winks and Walker-Peters are 2 kids he is handing starting roles to. Once they find their feet soon they will flourish. It will take Lo Celso and Tanguy time to adapt also. But once they all get going the Spurs will be formidable again. Its guaranteed. Eriksen is a problem for them though. He's a player that will be very hard to replace.

Member 39557

Pochettino is overseeing a rebuild there. Winks and Walker-Peters are 2 kids he is handing starting roles to. Once they find their feet soon they will flourish. It will take Lo Celso and Tanguy time to adapt also. But once they all get going the Spurs will be formidable again. Its guaranteed. Eriksen is a problem for them though. He's a player that will be very hard to replace.
Was he starting winks and walker-peters plus adapting Lo Celsius and Ndombele in the last 12 games last year?

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
This thread got me curious about what the actual net spend is for teams since say 2014. So the last 5 years.

City 724mil
Utd 634mil
Arse 391mil
Chavski 147mil
Pool 175mil
Spuds 110mil

Didnt realise Arsenal had spent so much. Why are they constantly moaning on Arsefam TV? Like Kroenke has spent the equivalent of three packs of gum and a leg wax on the squad. That is a respectable re-investment in the team over 5 years.

Surely the Chavs have spent more than 147mil net?

Also still time remaining in the window in Spain for Spurs to have players(Eriksen) stolen.

Data scraped from this article and just added this years xfer window up to now
Net spend is a poor indicator of a club spending power. If you account for just amount spent on players, Chelsea will be £300m above Spurs. Chelsea net spend is so low because they bought the right players for a significant fee and sold them for a good amount. It is not rocket science to think that if you buy quality players, you will sell them for a decent amount. The images below is a better indicator. Which shows how remarkable a job Pochettino is doing and how poor the resources he has been giving at Spurs.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.spor...is-the-highest-in-the-world-20190713.amp.html

Our fans have been a bit worried for a while now. We kind of wrote last season's league form off for various reasons, but we've started with the same shit performances this season.

I said after the City game it was the worst I've seen us play. Villa was terrible too. This is not a reaction to a one off result, our long term form is fecking awful.
I think you'll look good come Xmas, you guys always start off slow then end the season strongly.

Champagne Football

Was he starting winks and walker-peters plus adapting Lo Celsius and Ndombele in the last 12 games last year?
His record turning young players into top performers is excellent. Luke Shaw, Lallana, Nathaniel Clyne, Callum Chambers, Schneiderlin at Southampton were catching the eyes of bigger fish when Pochettino was managing them.
At Spurs he has worked miracles. Harry Kane, Son Heung-Min, lucas Moura, Dele Alli, Kyle Walker, kieran Trippier etc

His record in developing players and helping them reach their potential is second to none really.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
Net spend is a poor indicator of a club spending power. If you account for just amount spent on players, Chelsea will be £300m above Spurs. Chelsea net spend is so low because they bought the right players for a significant fee and sold them for a good amount. It is not rocket science to think that if you buy quality players, you will sell them for a decent amount. The images below is a better indicator. Which shows how remarkable a job Pochettino is doing and how poor the resources he has been giving at Spurs.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.spor...is-the-highest-in-the-world-20190713.amp.html
Liverpool have had 18m net spend since Klopp? This can't be true, right?

Member 39557

His record turning young players into top performers is excellent. Luke Shaw, Lallana, Nathaniel Clyne, Callum Chambers, Schneiderlin at Southampton were catching the eyes of bigger fish when Pochettino was managing them.
At Spurs he has worked miracles. Harry Kane, Son Heung-Min, lucas Moura, Dele Alli, Kyle Walker, kieran Trippier etc

His record in developing players and helping them reach their potential is second to none really.
That's all well and good, but it has nothing to do with the point I replied to.

You said they lose a game or two and it's a Muppet fest. I pointed out their poor form has been over the last fifteen games, then you start talking about introducing youth and how good he is at coaching young players.
What's that got to do with their poor form being more than losing a game or two?

Amadaeus

Liverpool have had 18m net spend since Klopp? This can't be true, right?
Yea, it doesn’t seem right but I believe they got a lot of fee for Coutinho and Sterling, plus some decent fee for some of their other players. I know they have been very active in buying players before this transfer window, so maybe someone can fact check that amount to see how true it is.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

In 2014 started with Kane, Eriksen, Vertonghen, Rose and Lloris. Who are still worth £300m+ between them now. They also sold Walker for £50m from the same squad and got Delli Alli for £5m the summer he started. We had De Gea, some assets like Zaha, Keane, Evans and Chicharito that we sold for peanuts and a load of quality players that retired (who obviously need replacing for large amounts). It's not a surprise they have a significantly lower net spend than us.

Amadaeus

Where would Pochettino go? Zidane at RM now until that implodes by about Christmas. PSG? Bayern?
I feel like Real Madrid will be a potential destination. I can see him going to Real Madrid and taking Kane with him. Else, if things goes badly at United, then we are definitely his next destination. Sir Alex, Rooney, so many United legends wants Pochettino at United.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
From an outsiders perspective I dont see him just walking away and doing nothing for 6 months. Spurs fans will know a lot more of the goings on inside their club Im sure. Levy heavily backed Poch in the xfer window with Ndombele and Lo Celso purchases, alongside Sessegnon. These were the players Pochettino was after, and Levy went out and got them. Why would he just up and walk away after he was heavily backed in the xfer window?

Ndombele met Pochettino and was a main influence for his joining the club. He bought into Pochettino's 'project' at Spurs. Seems like a bunch of media click bait articles, saying Pochettino is walking away from Spurs. Just a few weeks after his meeting with Ndombele? Doesnt make much sense.

When the next window rolls around and RM sack ZZ, then yes I could see him taking the reigns, maybe. PSG, meh, dont think he would go there simply because of the league. Bayern, distant possibility.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He has quite strongly dismissed the rumours which is great news.
Mmm, I wouldn't be so sure.
He's not happy there at all. Kane and Vertonghen with a bust up, question marks still over Eriksens future, Kane spotted in Spain with his agent. Things are not right at spurs.

He's not happy there at all. Kane and Vertonghen with a bust up, question marks still over Eriksens future, Kane spotted in Spain with his agent. Things are not right at spurs.
Did they, what happened?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Kane and Vertonghen bust up? Kane being in Spain with agent? Sorry but where are you getting this? How do you know is 'not happy there at all'?

Champ

Kane and Vertonghen bust up? Kane being in Spain with agent? Sorry but where are you getting this? How do you know is 'not happy there at all'?
Getting it direct from the club. :wenger:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

These total horseshit stories always come out when a club is struggling with form. Media love to stir shit right the feck up.

I don't think everything is right with the club but no point listening to unsubstantiated rumours.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I read this on twitter and thought some troll is taking the piss as talksport didn't tweet it.

If the rumors are true then it's a huge blow for Spurs.
Obviously they are not true. The idea that Pochettino is going to resign three weeks into the season is laughable.

redshaw

Would seem odd to go now. I read he talked Ndombele into coming to Spurs.

Can see him going at some point if it goes tits up for Zidane but I expect Poch to be there for the rest of season or at least a good chunk of it even if there's been some heated discussions.

Last edited:

N1nja-Frog

Supports
Red Devils
Obviously they are not true. The idea that Pochettino is going to resign three weeks into the season is laughable.
What do you think to Spurs poor form continuing from last season?

- Squad disharmony?
- Pochettino jaded?
- Other factors?

Recently I feel Kane is a slight letdown, seems to cut an isolated figure up front for you and maybe hasn't replicated his from from 18 / 24 months previous.....

Champ

These total horseshit stories always come out when a club is struggling with form. Media love to stir shit right the feck up.

I don't think everything is right with the club but no point listening to unsubstantiated rumours.
This is not the media stirring, this is from within the club.
I'm sure the media will get hold of it soon and stir it up though.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
So whos gonna replace Pochettino at Spurs then?! Surely they've got a replacement if he really intends to resign so early into the season..

0le

How do people on twitter fall for these rumours. In what world is Poch going to walk out after only a few games? He has also been backed by some very good signings in the summer. Obviously there is no chance he is getting sacked either.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
So we are just supposed to believe some randomer on the internet has links in the club?