A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

AlwaysRed66

So whos gonna replace Pochettino at Spurs then?! Surely they've got a replacement if he really intends to resign so early into the season..
I hope it is not true, but I am sure Mourinho would jump at the job given a chance.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Eddie Howe would be a very disappointing choice, I rate him but not sure he's ready to step in to a top 4 team.

I'd love us to make a real go for getting Erik ten Hag if we ever lost Poch. Not sure how possible that would be.

DBT85

Eddie Howe would be a very disappointing choice, I rate him but not sure he's ready to step in to a top 4 team.

I'd love us to make a real go for getting Erik ten Hag if we ever lost Poch. Not sure how possible that would be.
You're not surely thinking this is at all likely?

Poch isn't leaving Spurs 4 games into the season.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You're not surely thinking this is at all likely?

Poch isn't leaving Spurs 4 games into the season.
Obviously not. I mean when Pochettino eventually leaves (which I can see maybe being the end of this season depending on how things go, or maybe the one after).

Pochettino will see out the season, that much I am 100% sure of. We're not about to sack him after what he's done for the club.

I think we'll get better anyway, maybe not to the level everyone wants but after the Arsenal game we have some favourable fixtures (yeah admittedly Newcastle should've been a gimme) and can recover.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
What do you think to Spurs poor form continuing from last season?

- Squad disharmony?
- Pochettino jaded?
- Other factors?

Recently I feel Kane is a slight letdown, seems to cut an isolated figure up front for you and maybe hasn't replicated his from from 18 / 24 months previous.....
Towards the end of last season we had the later stages of the CL to focus on - I'd guess this was a big distraction from the league. Also we had an unusually large number of injuries compared to the average.

I don't think there was any especial squad disharmony. In fact I'd say the Spurs squad is more closely knit than most, due to the longevity of Poch's tenure and because most of the squad have been together for a fair few years now.

I also think, with only 3 games played this season, it's too soon to make a link with our poor league form towards the end of last season … so I'll reserve judgement about this until we hit the 10 league games mark.

Kane? Well, we'll see I guess. But he's hit 2 goals so far this season, which is more than he usually does by this time in the season.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
This is not the media stirring, this is from within the club.
I'm sure the media will get hold of it soon and stir it up though.
Well, Pochettino has commented on the suggestion that he is about to resign, saying: "That stupidity can happen through some rumour sent into social media that creates a big problem that doesn't exist."

He also said "Daniel knows very well how our commitment with the club is. It’s massive. … I am very happy to be here, very proud. … I told you two weeks ago I wanted to win a trophy with Tottenham and because of one defeat I am going to walk away. It’s not common sense."

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
How do people on twitter fall for these rumours. In what world is Poch going to walk out after only a few games? He has also been backed by some very good signings in the summer. Obviously there is no chance he is getting sacked either.
It's all click bait mate, he just got heavily backed in the xfer window for targets he wanted. Ndombele one of the most promising young midfielders in Europe joined because he bought into the Pochettino project at Spurs. He isn't going anywhere. And the only chance of a sacking is if Spurs are outside the top 6 come Christmas.

The only caveat to this I think is if RM come calling again, even then I'd say it is a maybe.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Towards the end of last season we had the later stages of the CL to focus on - I'd guess this was a big distraction from the league. Also we had an unusually large number of injuries compared to the average.

I don't think there was any especial squad disharmony. In fact I'd say the Spurs squad is more closely knit than most, due to the longevity of Poch's tenure and because most of the squad have been together for a fair few years now.

I also think, with only 3 games played this season, it's too soon to make a link with our poor league form towards the end of last season … so I'll reserve judgement about this until we hit the 10 league games mark.

Kane? Well, we'll see I guess. But he's hit 2 goals so far this season, which is more than he usually does by this time in the season.
Stop talking sense. Much wiser to slam your club and get the pitch forks out 3 games in.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Stop talking sense. Much wiser to slam your club and get the pitch forks out 3 games in.
A lot of our fans have been worried for a while though, nobody would be panicking after 3 games if it wasn't for the borderline relegation form we were in at the tail end of last season.

I get where @GlastonSpur is coming from and it's definitely a reasonable position, but my worry is that we're just seeing more of the same from last season and that isn't going to just go away as the season progresses.

I'm kinda 50/50 split atm on 'it's just a slow start as we bring in new players/deal with the contract rebels' and 'we may well be seeing some real problems at the club'.

Either way the time to really judge is our period after the Arsenal game when we have some good fixtures. Don't wanna react too much to the Arsenal game because going to the Emirates is by no means an easy fixture.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I
Well, Pochettino has commented on the suggestion that he is about to resign, saying: "That stupidity can happen through some rumour sent into social media that creates a big problem that doesn't exist."

He also said "Daniel knows very well how our commitment with the club is. It’s massive. … I am very happy to be here, very proud. … I told you two weeks ago I wanted to win a trophy with Tottenham and because of one defeat I am going to walk away. It’s not common sense."
Never said he was going to resign, just that he isn't happy, which is true.
The performance at the weekend suggests that things aren't all good.

Champ

So we are just supposed to believe some randomer on the internet has links in the club?
You don't have to believe me, not forcing you to. :lol:
Just passing on news.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Never said he was going to resign, just that he isn't happy, which is true.
The performance at the weekend suggests that things aren't all good.
Well, it's something you believe to be true. But I don't believe it is true.

"After 5 years now I start my 6th season. You know how we worked this summer to rebuild and update because from each summer, version 2.0, 3.0 now we're version 6.0 MP software … I hope that I can extend my life here."

Champ

Well, it's something you believe to be true. But I don't believe it is true.

"After 5 years now I start my 6th season. You know how we worked this summer to rebuild and update because from each summer, version 2.0, 3.0 now we're version 6.0 MP software … I hope that I can extend my life here."
When did I ever say I believe Poch will quit?
All I've stated are truths that he's not happy currently at spurs.
I don't know what he's going to do but I'd imagine whilst there are no top jobs available he will bide his time at spurs until one becomes available.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
When did I ever say I believe Poch will quit?
All I've stated are truths that he's not happy currently at spurs.
I don't know what he's going to do but I'd imagine whilst there are no top jobs available he will bide his time at spurs until one becomes available.
People have been saying that for the last few years. And during that time various other top jobs have become available - none of which have tempted Pochettino away.

If he's not happy, then why is he talking about extending his stay at Spurs?

Champ

People have been saying that for the last few years. And during that time various other top jobs have become available - none of which have tempted Pochettino away.

He's hardly likely to say he wants to leave publicly at the start of the season is he!!
What jobs have come up that would have tempted him? Real is the only one but they already earmarked Zizou for that, Poch was second choice.
He's not extending his stay, he already signed a contract last year did he not?!

Mindhunter

I actually agree with you. This a classic negotiation tactic from Poch. By coming across as dissatisfied he is putting pressure on Levy to open his purse stings. He is on the verge of something great with this Spurs team and he will be a fool of the highest order to leave a stable job for one of the unstable jobs that may or may not push his career forward. I really believe he won’t manage any other PL team bar maybe City once Guardiola leaves.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
He's hardly likely to say he wants to leave publicly at the start of the season is he!!
What jobs have come up that would have tempted him? Real is the only one but they already earmarked Zizou for that, Poch was second choice.
He's not extending his stay, he already signed a contract last year did he not?!
I agree, but then he is hardly likely to talk about extending his contract if, as you allege, he is unhappy. But in fact he has talked about extending his contract, so therefore I call bullshit on your "unhappy" claim.

Champ

I agree, but then he is hardly likely to talk about extending his contract if, as you allege, he is unhappy. But in fact he has talked about extending his contract, so therefore I call bullshit on your "unhappy" claim.
He won't be signing a contract anytime soon, he signed a five year deal last year if you remember.
He has stated once he thought it would be good for the club to extend his stay at the club, other than that nothing other than generic soundbites about the future of the club.
Believe what you wish squire for it doesn't matter to me :lol:

ArjenIsM3

Stole a point at the Etihad and did it again at the Emirates today. Unbelievable. Some would say it's the luck of champions but this Spurs side aren't good enough to challenge for the title. The footy they've been serving up hasn't been great either.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Stole a point at the Etihad and did it again at the Emirates today. Unbelievable. Some would say it's the luck of champions but this Spurs side aren't good enough to challenge for the title. The footy they've been serving up hasn't been great either.
We didn't steal shit today, we had the better of the chances. Arsenal had a lot of the ball but did bugger all with it.

Completely different to the game at the Etihad where we weren't even remotely a threat to them.

Johan07

We didn't steal shit today, we had the better of the chances. Arsenal had a lot of the ball but did bugger all with it.

Completely different to the game at the Etihad where we weren't even remotely a threat to them.
I thought it was a well played game from both teams. Quite entertaining.
Spurs sat back more than they usually do (which with a 2-0 lead is understandable tbf)
Good result for us, Its going to be game on for places 3-6 thats for sure.

ArjenIsM3

Oh come on. You were alright the first half but got completely outplayed in the second.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Oh come on. You were alright the first half but got completely outplayed in the second.
Over the course of the 90 we had better chances. 1 more shot on target, Kane hit the post, we had great chances to break on a number of occasions.

What better chances were Arsenal creating? We got outplayed till they got the equaliser, from then on (especially for the final 10 or so) we were looking more likely to score.

The idea that we 'robbed' a point or whatever is ridiculous. A draw was a fair result.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
I thought it was a well played game from both teams. Quite entertaining.
Spurs sat back more than they usually do (which with a 2-0 lead is understandable tbf)
Good result for us, Its going to be game on for places 3-6 thats for sure.
Thats the biggest problem of this team since Pochettino took over. He tends to put his team too defensively when its not really needed to do it and it backfires constantly..5 years later the situation is the same as his day 1 as Spurs manager. Unbelievable actually but this is may be his biggest let down as a manager..

Johan07

Thats the biggest problem of this team since Pochettino took over. He tends to put his team too defensively when its not really needed to do it and it backfires constantly..5 years later the situation is the same as his day 1 as Spurs manager. Unbelievable actually but this is may be his biggest let down as a manager..
Pochettinos reputation being an offensive coach and all that does invite some scrutiny when it comes to games against other "big" teams. Still: thought it was a good game today between two teams that has ways to go for anyone of them to be sure of securing top four.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I can’t wait to see what a fully fit Spurs line up will look like.

Lloris
Foryth - Vertgoghen - Alderweireld - Rose
Winks/Sissoko - N’Dombele
Eriksen - Lo Celso - Son
Kane

I believe that is Spurs strongest team. We have yet to see it this season. Pochettino will obviously favor Ali, but I don’t believe based of his last form, he is a better player. I m interested to see what this team can do.

January, I believe Spurs should try and land Dybala/Bruno and Atal if they are struggling for top four. If Eriksen leaves.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
What the feck he took Son off for yesterday is beyond me.
Bizarre, wasn't it?

Last 10 minutes of the game and our best counter attacking outlet by far was taken off, at a time when more space than ever was appearing.

If he was absolutely knackered fair play (though Son is extremely fit and I doubt incapable of playing the last 10?) but at least bring in Lucas so we have some pace back in the team on the break.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Bizarre, wasn't it?

Last 10 minutes of the game and our best counter attacking outlet by far was taken off, at a time when more space than ever was appearing.

If he was absolutely knackered fair play (though Son is extremely fit and I doubt incapable of playing the last 10?) but at least bring in Lucas so we have some pace back in the team on the break.
That was a strange decision it has to be said. Arsenal flooding forward in numbers toward the end of the game and looked susceptible to being hit on the counter, given his pace and knack of scoring late goals, Son was the last player you'd take off in that situation.

Guy Incognito

I seriously think this is going to be his last season with the Spurs. Peaked in 17-19.
There was a game at the back end of the 15-16 season where they dismantled Stoke with ease. Albeit the opposition were terrible, that was one of the best performances I've seen from a Spurs side. Had everything.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Bizarre, wasn't it?

Very strange, considering GLC is apparently weeks away from full fitness according to Poch. I hope rose got a fecking roasting as well.

Crashoutcassius

4 wins in 15 almost as bad as Ole, should he be sacked?

EDIT probably my favourite manager but I have been told runs like this mean a manager must be sacked

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Bizarre, wasn't it?

The subs were head scratching for me from a Neutral perspective, Lo Celso and Alli? How about Moura to run at defenders with tiring legs, his blistering pace would have put a bit of fear in the Arsenal back line. I guess the Alli, Lo Celso subs were to to get more of a hold on midfield where Spurs were losing out possession wise? More of a 'hold onto what we have' rather than a 'we can win it'.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
The subs were head scratching for me from a Neutral perspective, Lo Celso and Alli? How about Moura to run at defenders with tiring legs, his blistering pace would have put a bit of fear in the Arsenal back line. I guess the Alli, Lo Celso subs were to to get more of a hold on midfield where Spurs were losing out possession wise? More of a 'hold onto what we have' rather than a 'we can win it'.
I was on board with the Lo Celso sub, he's creative and I thought we needed someone with a bit of a spark. Didn't get to see much of it but had some nice touches, won a dangerous free kick .. that and we need to give him game time, it's ridiculous how little time he's had on the pitch. Needs to start vs Palace 100%, can't just not give him an opportunity to show what he can do.

But Lucas for me needed to come on instead of Alli. Get someone (like you say) who can run at defenders. It's a role he's played many times before and I honestly think we could have won that game if he was on the pitch late on. Couple of times where Alli picked it up from deep but didn't have the pace to really drive at/scare the Arsenal defence. Either that or bring Lucas in for Kane late on, but for some reason Kane is unsubabble.

Poch has never been great at in-game management though. I think it'd be the main thing Spurs fans criticise him for.