A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

jamesjimmybyrondean

What is this understanding based on?

The club briefed that it had looked at 900 right backs and settled on Wan Bissaka. Nothing about the briefing suggested Ole played a major role in identifying Wan-Bissaka.

On Maguire, he was a club target before Ole even arrived. We know this because Mourinho spoke about him as an option when he was a sky pundit. In fact many United players have ended up signing long after they were first linked to the club e.g. Luke Shaw, Ander Herrera etc. Cavani is the most recent example of this.

Why do you assume that Ole is the one identifying the players we sign? The club has repeatedly briefed that there is a transfer committee that, yes, he inputs into. However, he does not have the lead voice. This is just a known reality.

You are acting as being a coach in real life is the same as on a computer game. In reality Ole does not have nearly that level of autonomy or decision making power. No Man Utd coach does and most of them only start bringing that to light once their NDAs expire.

He'll take the job if offered because he's been out of work for longer than he probably expected.
Maguire and Awb were both Ole's targets and you don't need Ole to come out and tell you this because it's pretty obvious if you've been following up. Ole has also said he has the final say on transfers which pretty much confirms he has the most significant role in picking a player Why would the club even decide to blow 80m on a player they didn't want to spend 60m on before

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I remember before LVG was coming in they had asked him and said if he would he be happy for us to sign Shaw & I think herrera. He clearly said it was okay without knowing the players fully nor it being his 100% own personal choice.

Then you have Maguire who was clearly targeted by the club before Ole was even manager during the Jose tenure. It is now being said there was 900 RBS to choose from and we picked AWB.

Then you have the summer where it could be argued that the manager got only one of the targets he wanted.

Sure the manager has some influence on who we buy (especially in first season) but I really dont think it's as much influence as people think it is.

It wont be hard to see that we have no DOF type plan, so LVG got recommended some Moyes players, Jose wanted rid of LVG players and Ole got recommended some Jose players etc.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I remember before LVG was coming in they had asked him and said if he would he be happy for us to sign Shaw & I think herrera. He clearly said it was okay without knowing the players fully nor it being his 100% own personal choice.

Then you have Maguire who was clearly targeted by the club before Ole was even manager during the Jose tenure. It is now being said there was 900 RBS to choose from and we picked AWB.

Then you have the summer where it could be argued that the manager got only one of the targets he wanted.

Sure the manager has some influence on who we buy (especially in first season) but I really dont think it's as much influence as people think it is.

It wont be hard to see that we have no DOF type plan, so LVG got recommended some Moyes players, Jose wanted rid of LVG players and Ole got recommended some Jose players etc.
Is this the new narrative now? That Maguire and Awb weren't picked by Ole...Jesus.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Is this the new narrative now? That Maguire and Awb weren't picked by Ole...Jesus.
No that it was picked by Ole just as it was picked by the rest of the higher level up people. The same way Shaw and Herrera was picked by LVG and the board above him.

If Wan Bissaka or Maguire wasnt good enough then it's the DOF's need to show it out.

The same shit happened with Lukaku. A clear Mourinho type striker but it was agreed all across the board when it shouldn't have gone through because Lukaku doesnt fit with Rashford and Martial etc.

The manager shouldnt just have a free role at players like its bloody its football manager. If they do then they shouldn't have.

I just blame a lack of Dof over Ole, over LVG or over Mourinho. Theres a severe lack of flow going from one manager to another, and when it does it's usually a bad or questionable move.

ROFLUTION

No that it was picked by Ole just as it was picked by the rest of the higher level up people. The same way Shaw and Herrera was picked by LVG and the board above him.

If Wan Bissaka or Maguire wasnt good enough then it's the DOF's need to show it out.

The same shit happened with Lukaku. A clear Mourinho type striker but it was agreed all across the board when it shouldn't have gone through because Lukaku doesnt fit with Rashford and Martial etc.

The manager shouldnt just have a free role at players like its bloody its football manager. If they do then they shouldn't have.

I just blame a lack of Dof over Ole, over LVG or over Mourinho. Theres a severe lack of flow going from one manager to another, and when it does it's usually a bad or questionable move.
Very true. A DOF should keep both Woodward and the manager in chess with data/info/decisions.

RuudTom83

What is wrong with that? It is amazing how people still use that argument. We will need new manager in 2 or 3 years? So what?
We hired LVG. He put us back in CL and won FA cup. Then we hired Jose. He put us back in CL and won two trophies and finished 2nd.
Yes, our board will not invest enough to make us title challengers. That will not change. So lets hire manager who can work without 11 top stars. Ole can't. Poch proved that he can. So lets hire him and see what happens. If he fails we will hire new manager then another then another. Just like every club in the world is doing.
If you‘re happy changing managers every few years, then you must have absolutely loved the last 7 years. ;)

Each to their own I guess, it’s just not the way I’d operate.

dev1l

If you‘re happy changing managers every few years, then you must have absolutely loved the last 7 years. ;)

Each to their own I guess, it’s just not the way I’d operate.
He must be a Watford fan in disguise :)

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I don't know how things are run inside the club with respect to transfer decisions and suspect that few really do. But it would be very surprising to me if the manager wouldn't have significant input into transfers like Wan-Bissaka or Maguire and to have the ability to exert a veto if he thought it absolutely necessary. Without a strong vision of the football he wants to play, Ole may not have that much reason to give input or veto a certain player because, while good in certain ways, he lacks one of the necessary attributes for that position. That's part of the problem.

It seems to me that many United fans just want to heap all the problems at the club at the feet of the board and declare that nothing can be done. But a huge part of the issue is simply that the board hasn't found - indeed, hasn't even tried to hire - the type of young progressive manager who can provide a strong footballing vision to the club.
In most clubs across the world no such veto exists. The director of football or the executives pick the signings and the coach is expected to make it work.

At Man Utd the manager does exert influence and he can say 'I don't want this player.' However, that does not imply the level of control you might think. For example, Mourinho okayed the Fred signing. However, its been repeatedly reported by sources close to Mourinho that he only okayed the deal because he was told it was Fred or nobody.

I have no doubt that Ole has given every player that has come into Man Utd his okay. Its not clear to me what circumstances this way done under though. Say, for example, Ole was told on the weekend before deadline day that he had a choice: Cavani or no senior attacking player, how much of a choice is that? He can say no but then he's choosing not to bring in a first team attacking player. I have high hopes for Pellistri and Diallo but it would be more of a surprise if they were ready for Premier League action than not. In those circumstances you're not going to say no.

None of us, myself included, knows what goes on inside Man Utd. However, there is enough to suggest its not as straightforward as manager A says I want X player and it happens.

It will not be any different for any other manager, including Pochettino. Whether its Ole or someone else they will be expected to take the squad that's been put together and make something of it. It doesn't matter how strong a vision of football you have.

Mainoldo

In most clubs across the world no such veto exists. The director of football or the executives pick the signings and the coach is expected to make it work.

At Man Utd the manager does exert influence and he can say 'I don't want this player.' However, that does not imply the level of control you might think. For example, Mourinho okayed the Fred signing. However, its been repeatedly reported by sources close to Mourinho that he only okayed the deal because he was told it was Fred or nobody.

I have no doubt that Ole has given every player that has come into Man Utd his okay. Its not clear to me what circumstances this way done under though. Say, for example, Ole was told on the weekend before deadline day that he had a choice: Cavani or no senior attacking player, how much of a choice is that? He can say no but then he's choosing not to bring in a first team attacking player. I have high hopes for Pellistri and Diallo but it would be more of a surprise if they were ready for Premier League action than not. In those circumstances you're not going to say no.

None of us, myself included, knows what goes on inside Man Utd. However, there is enough to suggest its not as straightforward as manager A says I want X player and it happens.

It will not be any different for any other manager, including Pochettino. Whether its Ole or someone else they will be expected to take the squad that's been put together and make something of it. It doesn't matter how strong a vision of football you have.
That’s fine but someone is making these choices right? I mean you can’t honestly believe Ed Woodward and Matt Judge are picking Fred and Cavani? It does not make sense.

No one knows but I’m sure it’s a lot more of a list of targets for said position and what we get depends on who the manager wants from that list.

You mentioned Fred and a better example would be out of 5 CM’s we couldn’t get 4 but could get Fred. So yes it was Fred or nobody. Not hey Jose we have this CM here but don’t bother giving us a list of other CM’s it’s him or your not getting one. It’s a stupid conclusion.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Completely agree with this

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
While I’ve always been a big fan of Poch, and think he has a few characteristic that would make him a good fit for the club, there is also a few huge question marks with him. Regardless, he would be an instant upgrade for us.

I still do think that quite a few is way too quick to conclude that we should go for him. There is a few more exciting options available. And there is also a few less exciting options to be considered.

I know quite a few think his football is dire, but Allegri’s record is very special. Not only winning every single year in Italy with Juve, but he also won with Milan. Furthermore, I think reaching to finals in CL at the time is underrated. Serie A was poor at the time and it is difficult to succeed in CL when the national league is poor (ask Ferguson). He also did a great job with Pogba.

If we did hire Pochettino over Allegri it would be a decision based on heart, not brain, in my opinion.

caid

Very true. A DOF should keep both Woodward and the manager in chess with data/info/decisions.
A DOF working under Woodward is pointless. If he's going to completely ignore Mourinho after he finishes 2nd then who the feck is he going to listen to?

Robbie Boy

A DOF working under Woodward is pointless. If he's going to completely ignore Mourinho after he finishes 2nd then who the feck is he going to listen to?
Saying he finished second is a very simplistic fact and ignores a huge amount of context.

HowYouDoin

I personally think the team we have right now is pretty great. We just dont have a manager.

Telles I think is a hue upgrade over Shaw at LB and Shaw is a good backup. Alternatively you can also play Shaw at LCB. Also moving Brandon Williams to the right adds us good depth at that position too.

I think if we play Fred DVB and Bruno our midfield is also quite good.

And as for our attack, I am a big fan of Cavani and with Mason, Martial and Rashford, again I think thats pretty good. We are also getting Dialo January 1st and the board believes he can play and contribute from day 1.

All in all I do think we have a good team now, some pretty awesome individuals. We are not coached at all though.

Womp

idiot
Top managers in today's game shouldn't even need to be too involved in the management of the club, they should be head coaches. That is only an expectation with us because this club still operates like it's in the stone ages. Ideally, a DOF should be building a squad and hiring a coach who can get the most out of that squad/work with those players

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Top managers in today's game shouldn't even need to be too involved in the management of the club, they should be head coaches. That is only an expectation with us because this club still operates like it's in the stone ages. Ideally, a DOF should be building a squad and hiring a coach who can get the most out of that squad/work with those players
There are many counter-arguments, including:
  • Having a DoF choosing which players to buy and sell is disempowering to the coach - who risks being fired based on potential bad choices by the DoF, choices over which they have no power;
  • It creates disconnect between incoming new players and the coach, because these players don't know if the coach really wanted them (and also they may disrespect the coach more, because they know that the coach is subordinate to the DoF);
  • It is no more likely that the right DoF will be found than it is that the right coach/manager will be found ... but the damage caused by having a bad DoF is potentially huge
  • It creates the potential for conflict between the DoF and the coach over players signed.
  • It adds another later of bureaucracy, increasing the club's total wage bill in the process)

VivaRonaldo85

It seems like what United fans want is a manager who ticks these 3 boxes

1. Plays attractive attacking football
2. Proven trophy winner
3. Has an identity in play style and the influence of their coaching can clearly be seen in games

The problem is, who actually satisfies that criteria? Klopp and Pep. Everyone else we appoint will get slaughtered for either playing shit football or never winning a trophy.

For once I just want a manager who improves teams with his coaching rather than relying on the cheque book and gets the best from his squad. Poch fits the bill for me from what I've seen from Southampton and Spurs.
Good point. LVG was probably the nearest we have had to that but he was arguably passed his best. Perhaps the secret is to appoint a manager like Poch with a clear playing style and system and the trophy part will follow. Can’t be any worse than the last 7 years efforts anyway!

Womp

idiot
There are many counter-arguments, including:
  • Having a DoF choosing which players to buy and sell is disempowering to the coach - who risks being fired based on potential bad choices by the DoF, choices over which they have no power;
  • It creates disconnect between incoming new players and the coach, because these players don't know if the coach really wanted them (and also they may disrespect the coach more, because they know that the coach is subordinate to the DoF);
  • It is no more likely that the right DoF will be found than it is that the right coach/manager will be found ... but the damage caused by having a bad DoF is potentially huge
  • It creates the potential for conflict between the DoF and the coach over players signed.
  • It adds another later of bureaucracy, increasing the club's total wage bill in the process)
There's just as much possibility, if not more, of a coach being fired because he joins a team with players who don't suit his vision. I don't agree with the disconnect between players argument, as if players gave a shit about that, they'd feel just as disillusioned when a manager joins who has no intention of playing them, especially as you could argue that that manager didn't 'want' them neither. Not to add, the DOF specifically will be signing players with the club's vision moving forward, which will determine the style of manager hired too, so players wouldn't be under the impression they 're joining a manager who would have no interest in utilizing them.

The wages issue isn't a factor for this club. They are spending half a million pounds a week on two goalkeepers, I'm sure shelling out some cash for a DOF, who will inevitably save us money in the long run due to introducing a far more structured and calculated approach to recruitment and playstyle won't be the end of the world.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
While I’ve always been a big fan of Poch, and think he has a few characteristic that would make him a good fit for the club, there is also a few huge question marks with him. Regardless, he would be an instant upgrade for us.

I still do think that quite a few is way too quick to conclude that we should go for him. There is a few more exciting options available. And there is also a few less exciting options to be considered.

I know quite a few think his football is dire, but Allegri’s record is very special. Not only winning every single year in Italy with Juve, but he also won with Milan. Furthermore, I think reaching to finals in CL at the time is underrated. Serie A was poor at the time and it is difficult to succeed in CL when the national league is poor (ask Ferguson). He also did a great job with Pogba.

If we did hire Pochettino over Allegri it would be a decision based on heart, not brain, in my opinion.
I have to vehemently disagree.

Allegri won a league title with Milan with probably the most expensively assembled team in Serie A at the time when the league was very weak. He progressively got worse season by season and eventually got the sack in his 4th season with Milan languishing in the bottom half of the table. According to Milan fans he was the wrong man for the job and they were glad he was fired.

At Juve he was appointed Head Coach by Beppe Marotta amidst much dissapointment amongst the Juventini who were dissapointed by the appointment. He did win a plethora of league titles for a team that was built by Beppe Marotta who provided him with a winning machine which should be noted. Marotta's work behind the scenes is what made Juve the dominant force and not Allegri. You could put most half competent head coaches at Juve under Marotta at the time and they also would've won a plethora of titles due to the superlative work of the Juve GM.

Even at Juve when he eventually departed the Juve fans like the Milan fans before were happy they had got rid of him. He's a cowardly coach that we shouldn't go anywhere near especially with our structure at first team level.

Last edited:

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Allegri won a league title with Milan with probably the most expensively assembled team in Serie A at the time when the league was very weak. He progressively got worse season by season and eventually got the sack in his 4th season with Milan languishing in the bottom half of the table. According to Milan fans he was the wrong man for the job and they were glad he was fired.

At Juve he was appointed Head Coach by Beppe Marotta amidst much dissapointment amongst the Juventini who were dissapointed by the appointment. He did win a plethora of league titles for a team that was built by Beppe Marotta who provided him with a winning machine which should be noted. Marotta's work behind the scenes is what made Juve the dominant force and not Allegri. You could put most half competent head coaches at Juve under Marotta at the time and they also would've won a plethora of titles due to the superlative work of the Juve GM.
So at Milan the team regressed due to him and at Juve the team progressed/succeeded despite of him and due to Marotta? Milan had not won the league since 2004 when Allegri won it with them in 2011. Now, they have not won it since 2011. While they did have an expensive team they certainly did not have a Marotta at the time. In fact, you could argue being the coach at Milan in 2011 was just as difficult as being the coach of Man Utd in 2020. Probably even harder.

However, I do agree that Marotta did a great job with Juventus. Marotta knows his football. He also hired Allegri and decided to stick with him for a reason. Tactically, he is probably the best coach out there. He is very highly rated in Italy and with good reason in my opinion.

Micky Targaryen

I still feel Poch needs to have experience winning a few major leagues elsewhere before he can come to United.

Our expectations here are too big for his CV, and he won't get the support he thinks he will get.
A few major leagues? Come on now...

Does this criteria apply to Caf favourites Marco Rose and Nagelsmann too? This just puts into perspective about why Ole got the job too, seeing that he has no major leagues under his belt.

I rather Poch win his first title with us tbh.

Judas

Open to offers
We want a manager on the way up, waiting for Poch to win a few major leagues is daft in many ways. Even if he did that, there's no guarantee he'll do it here, we know that after the Jose experiment.

spiriticon

A few major leagues? Come on now...

Does this criteria apply to Caf favourites Marco Rose and Nagelsmann too? This just puts into perspective about why Ole got the job too, seeing that he has no major leagues under his belt.

I rather Poch win his first title with us tbh.
I don't think any of Poch, Rose or Nagelsmann will work wonders here to be honest. They'll do an ok job, like Ole.

If the board wants to fire Ole because he has no league winning experience, then it would not make sense to hire managers who have not got that experience either.

TJ Reid

Supports
Arsenal
Having spent a day or so reflecting upon this thread, I’ve come to the conclusion that the best manager around likely to be able to turn things around with the existing players and change the culture into a winning mentality is Bielsa but I doubt you could prise him away from Leeds where he is idolised.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Having spent a day or so reflecting upon this thread, I’ve come to the conclusion that the best manager around likely to be able to turn things around with the existing players and change the culture into a winning mentality is Bielsa but I doubt you could prise him away from Leeds where he is idolised.
For a manager to succeed under this board he needs to instill a winning mentality in the team and know how to get players to punch above their weight. That's what Fergie did. So did Klopp and Bielsa. Three of them are impossible though but I think Nagelsmann has these traits.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Would be a disaster with top level players who had a bad or lackadaisical attitude, its why most of his success has come from lower level teams with players who are willing to buy into his style of play which is physically sapping.

tomaldinho1

Yes because we all want to see Allegri's style of football at OT. Have you learned nothing from watching big name managers like LVG and Mou fail here...seriously?

In the same way we have bought great players but they haven't fitted our system, we have signed managers who are at odds with our philosophy; Allegri would be the epitomy of this kind of rash hiring.

United need to identify a style of play (which we seemingly have done in wanting to create a high press, use width and have an incredibly fit squad) so we should therefore find a manager who coaches this style....Pochettino is such an obvious choice it's painful.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
So at Milan the team regressed due to him and at Juve the team progressed/succeeded despite of him and due to Marotta? Milan had not won the league since 2004 when Allegri won it with them in 2011. Now, they have not won it since 2011. While they did have an expensive team they certainly did not have a Marotta at the time. In fact, you could argue being the coach at Milan in 2011 was just as difficult as being the coach of Man Utd in 2020. Probably even harder.

However, I do agree that Marotta did a great job with Juventus. Marotta knows his football. He also hired Allegri and decided to stick with him for a reason. Tactically, he is probably the best coach out there. He is very highly rated in Italy and with good reason in my opinion.
He inherited the best squad in Serie A when he joined Milan and below are quotes from the below link which supports that argument. I also never said he was solely responsible for the debacle at Milan but he played a large part in their malaise which is demonstrated below.

"In his first season Allegri had the best squad in Italy and was able to deliver a Scudetto. That team was star studded, and featured the likes of Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Thiago Silva, Alessandro Nesta, Clarence Seedorf and an inspired Robinho. That squad, coupled with an extremely weak Serie A meant a Scudetto wasn't a pleasant surprise; it was expected, and Allegri was able to live up to expectations in his debut season"

His tactics? Quotes below by people who followed Milan.

"In his second season Allegri once again had the best squad in Serie A. This time, however, Milan choked during the run-in and coughed up the Scudetto in the final weeks to a Juventus squad with much less quality. That famous Sulley Muntari phantom goal certainly played a part in the epic collapse that cost Milan a Scudetto, but at the end of the day, it should have never been in doubt. With that squad and a weak Serie A, Allegri should have delivered a Scudetto. On too many nights it appeared that Milan didn't have a game plan. Their game plan was "give it to Zlatan and let him make magic." As Ibrahimovic went, so did Milan, and when he didn't have "it" on a given night, Allegri looked like he didn't have a plan B".

Just some of his crazy tactical decisions and bad decisions in general below at Milan.

"Allegri also made some crazy player usage decisions, like playing Urby Emanuelson, capped by the Dutch national team at left back, as a trequartista, or playing box-to-box midfielder Kevin-Prince Boateng on the wing, or converting mediocre midfielder Kevin Constant into a shambolic left back. The list goes on and on".

https://acmilan.theoffside.com/platform/amp/2015/11/21/9753256/looking-back-allegri-at-milan

I'm glad you somewhat agree with me about the superlative work Beppe Marotta did at Juve which for me was the main reason for their dominancy. I'd also credit Antonio Conte who was the coach at the time who helped put the wheels in motion.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Has everyone talking about Allegri actually watched his teams play football? He probably is the most successful candidate but his football is boring as hell. Honestly, it makes LVG & Jose look adventurous. I watched a really strong Juve side go and park the bus against mid-table teams.

If you've not really seen his teams play then my advice is just be careful what you wish for. If he set us up like Juve then I think there'd be so many teams taking us apart, or at least having a good go.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I'm glad you somewhat agree with me about the superlative work Beppe Marotta did at Juve which for me was the main reason for their dominancy. I'd also credit Antonio Conte who was the coach at the time who helped put the wheels in motion.
I also think Conte did a good job, but it would be a stretch to credit him for the success of Juve five years after he left.

Allegri has been coach of the year four times in Italy (awarded by the AIC), more than any other coach. He was also awarded the Panchina d'Oro when he was a coach at Cagliari in 2009. It is not hard to find those who argue that he did a great job at Juve and that his spell at Milan was affected by an incompetent board (a view history seem to support) and who disagree strongly with the views you have quoted.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I don’t agree with the ‘he’s never won a trophy!!’ shit that’s usually thrown at him. He did a great job at Southampton solidifying them as a PL side at the time which earned him a move to Spurs.

Spurs were shite. They’d qualified for the CL once in about 20 years and that took a Ronaldo like season from Bale to scrape 4th place under Harry. He took them to second in the league and a few third place finishes, with the squad he inherited and the net spend of basically feck all he had no right to be challenging. He had a kid from MK Dons (dele) and a young striker who hadn’t really impressed in multiple loan moves (Kane) and in his first season at Spurs turned them into 2 if the best young players in the PL.

In the meantime United, City and Chelsea were throwing hundreds of millions at transfers whilst Spurs were building a stadium and pretty much selling players to raise funds for transfers.

So for me the ‘he’s won nothing’ stuff is bollocks he overachieved.
I was going to write a post replying to those that diminish what he achieved at Spurs, but this one sums it up succinctly. It was a superb job and one few could have managed under those circumstances.

I actually can’t believe that people can find a way to play it down. He is a true victim of his own success.

Highly erroneous to equate Bale/Redknapp season to where Spurs were before he took on the job.

He took a team that were never taken seriously as a consistent threat (it’s spurs lads) and made them into a team that no one in Europe enjoyed having to play.

Steam finally ran out after years and years of underinvestment and little player turnover, but United spend money and he would already have a team here with more individual talent than even his peak team at Spurs.

I would be excited to see what he could do.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I also think Conte did a good job, but it would be a stretch to credit him for the success of Juve five years after he left.

Allegri has been coach of the year four times in Italy (awarded by the AIC), more than any other coach. He was also awarded the Panchina d'Oro when he was a coach at Cagliari in 2009. It is not hard to find those who argue that he did a great job at Juve and that his spell at Milan was affected by an incompetent board (a view history seem to support) and who disagree strongly with the views you have quoted.
If Conte didn't throw tantrums at Juve and resign we wouldn't be talking about Allegri today IMO. And Conte's work alongside Beppe Marotta in the back ground is what put the wheels in motion at Juve post Calciopoli.

The board at Milan was bad of course but it further highlighted the bad work Allegri did by getting rid of Pirlo etc and favouring Ambrosini and Van Bommel. A strong board wouldn't have allowed that to happen but the Berlusconi kids did allow that to happen. Also the awful tactical decisions on the pitch can't be blamed on the board. The difference at Juve was that Allegri again inherited a fantastic squad but the difference this time being that Marotta and co, controlled recruitment and had built up a squad along with Antonio Conte which was a winning machine.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Can’t believe people are suggesting Bielsa. He is made for a mid-table team.
He is very respected in the profession for his ideas and knowledge of the game and managers like Simeone and Poch have stated his influence on them and that he has inspired them.
But Bielsa at a top club would only work for a few months if at all. I also think he knows that and doesn’t even want to manage a big club, let alone United with their complicated board.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I wonder how this changes with top 6 home games. I'm not sure of the value of only focusing on tough away games.
Focussing on the most difficult fixtures gives you an indication of whether the Manager can rally the troops and outwit the opposition. But, you're right I checked the home games and here are the results:
Club​
Games*​
W​
D​
L​
CS​
GF​
GA​
GD​
Arsenal​
35​
14​
12​
9​
10​
56​
46​
10​
Tottenham​
29​
14​
6​
9​
11​
42​
29​
13​
United​
32​
15​
12​
5​
11​
47​
30​
17​
City​
28​
15​
6​
7​
7​
59​
36​
23​
Liverpool​
36​
18​
14​
4​
10​
68​
37​
31​
Chelsea​
39​
21​
9​
9​
16​
61​
38​
23​

*Top 6 away games all comps during Pochettinos time at Tottenham
ClubWin %Draw %Loss %
Arsenal40%34%26%
Tottenham48%21%31%
United47%38%16%
City54%21%25%
Liverpool50%39%11%
Chelsea54%23%23%

The home record for Pochettino doesn't look good either, highest loss %, 2nd worst goal difference, at least his win % is improved. I don't think he's the right fit for us, we don't want a Manager who is incapable of picking up wins in the tough games.

If you combine the home and away games it reads as follows:
ClubWin %Draw %Loss %
Arsenal25%36%39%
Tottenham28%23%48%
United40%29%32%
City42%22%37%
Liverpool40%39%21%
Chelsea36%30%34%

Almost a 50% loss rate for fecks sake!

TJ Reid

Supports
Arsenal
Would be a disaster with top level players who had a bad or lackadaisical attitude, its why most of his success has come from lower level teams with players who are willing to buy into his style of play which is physically sapping.
At least he’d weed them out and get players in who would follow his lead - though I’d dispute whether the term ‘top level players’ could accurately describe much of this Utd squad

jamesjimmybyrondean

I was going to write a post replying to those that diminish what he achieved at Spurs, but this one sums it up succinctly. It was a superb job and one few could have managed under those circumstances.

I actually can’t believe that people can find a way to play it down. He is a true victim of his own success.

Highly erroneous to equate Bale/Redknapp season to where Spurs were before he took on the job.

He took a team that were never taken seriously as a consistent threat (it’s spurs lads) and made them into a team that no one in Europe enjoyed having to play.

Steam finally ran out after years and years of underinvestment and little player turnover, but United spend money and he would already have a team here with more individual talent than even his peak team at Spurs.

I would be excited to see what he could do.
Exactly people talk about him not winning a trophy with that Tottenham team like as if he wasn't the one that built it. Imagine the praise Ancelotti or a new manager would get if he turns fecking Everton to a regular top 4 team and has them come close to winning the league and champions league.

I don't see any harm if Pochettino can come here and in one or two seasons do to us what he did to Tottenham. Even if he doesn't win the league he would have built a team with us that can and then we can get a manager that will deliver titles

rotherham_red

Exactly people talk about him not winning a trophy with that Tottenham team like as if he wasn't the one that built it. Imagine the praise Ancelotti or a new manager would get if he turns fecking Everton to a regular top 4 team and has them come close to winning the league and champions league.

I don't see any harm if Pochettino can come here and in one or two seasons do to us what he did to Tottenham. Even if he doesn't win the league he would have built a team with us that can and then we can get a manager that will deliver titles
You act like he didn't come in to a Tottenham team who were already semi-regular CL qualifiers, and that the teams around him weren't on the verge of collapsing around him and Spurs. And above all, he had fecking Leicester to get past and win the league, which he well and truly shat the bed on.

He's a good manager, but he's a manager for the underdog a la Jose, except he plays a slightly nicer brand of football. He'd have a similarly underwhelming impact here, I'm sure.

jamesjimmybyrondean

You act like he didn't come in to a Tottenham team who were already semi-regular CL qualifiers, and that the teams around him weren't on the verge of collapsing around him and Spurs. And above all, he had fecking Leicester to get past and win the league, which he well and truly shat the bed on.

He's a good manager, but he's a manager for the underdog a la Jose, except he plays a slightly nicer brand of football. He'd have a similarly underwhelming impact here, I'm sure.
Semi regulars but they only qualified for champions league twice in 10 years. Spurs was also on the verge of collapsing after wasting that Bale money. He definitely shat the bed allowing Leceister to win the league but my point is he got them that far in the first place and also to the champions league final.

Pochettino turned Tottenham from underdogs to title challengers. And we are underdogs now. Right now the perfect coach for us would be a modern attacking coach that knows how to turn underdogs to champions but I don't see any modern coach that has done that asides Klopp who has already rejected us.