A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

rotherham_red

Semi regulars but they only qualified for champions league twice in 10 years. Spurs was also on the verge of collapsing after wasting that Bale money. He definitely shat the bed allowing Leceister to win the league but my point is he got them that far in the first place and also to the champions league final.

Pochettino turned Tottenham from underdogs to title challengers. And we are underdogs now. Right now the perfect coach for us would be a modern attacking coach that knows how to turn underdogs to champions but I don't see any modern coach that has done that asides Klopp who has already rejected us.
We are not underdogs. The glare of the spotlight at Utd is so much worse than he would get anywhere else in the country. It really doesn't compare. This man was close to leaving Spurs the season before he left if they had won the CL, ffs. He said cup wins were for egoists. He would never be able to get away with saying shit like that at Utd. The man would probably crumble if his last season at Spurs was anything to go by.

jamesjimmybyrondean

We are not underdogs. The glare of the spotlight at Utd is so much worse than he would get anywhere else in the country. It really doesn't compare. This man was close to leaving Spurs the season before he left if they had won the CL, ffs. He said cup wins were for egoists. He would never be able to get away with saying shit like that at Utd. The man would probably crumble if his last season at Spurs was anything to go by.
Well I'm not here to persuade you on if Pochettino would be good for us. I'd prefer Nagelsmann but Pochettino is also a good option. And what coach do you think this team needs? I'd laugh if you say Ole

United58

what coach do you think this team needs? I'd laugh if you say Ole
Nagelsmann, ten Hag, Rose. Someone to take us out of the dire football of the past 7 years. Ole had us playing well in January/February 2019 and June/July 2020 but other than that it hasn't been very enjoyable.

spiriticon

Does Poch even remember what a football is at this point? He's been out of work for what feels like forever.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Does Poch even remember what a football is at this point? He's been out of work for what feels like forever.
Apparently he has been waiting for the right job - whatever that means.
Would be hilarious if he joins Madrid and is then out of the job again after a few months.

romufc

Since he has been out of a job, Bayern, Juve, Barca, Arsenal have sacked their managers and appointed new managers.

Yet the United fan base wants him as a manager.

The same fans also say, If Ole gets sacked, what other top club would hire him?

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Since he has been out of a job, Bayern, Juve, Barca, Arsenal have sacked their managers and appointed new managers.

We don't know if any clubs have approached Poch so unless you know something the rest of us don't then it's a pretty pointless post.

Hypothetically if Ole does get the sack which top clubs do you think would hire him?

romufc

We don't know if any clubs have approached Poch so unless you know something the rest of us don't then it's a pretty pointless post.

Hypothetically if Ole does get the sack which top clubs do you think would hire him?
So we dont know if clubs approach Poch, but you know for a fact no one would approach Ole?

jamesjimmybyrondean

It's funny people use this as stick to beat Pochettino with when he rejected Madrid 2 years ago. Also wouldnt you have said Pochettino is a better manager than Koeman or City and Bayern's Assistant manager or Pirlo. It's obvious these clubs picked those managers for their affiliations with the club rather than their performance as managers

Last edited:

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
So we dont know if clubs approach Poch, but you know for a fact no one would approach Ole?
Where did I say no one would approach Ole? The word hypothetically speaks for itself so if Ole did leave us what type of top club would approach him in your opinion?

Pep's Suit

Arsenal's shite, Juve only hire italian managers and Barca usually turn to their ex-players plus Poch's Espanyol history.

spiriticon

Hypothetically every top club could go in for Ole, but hypothetically no one could go for him either.

Hypothetically all the top clubs could be in for Poch and he rejected them all, but also hypothetically he's not wanted by anyone and is struggling to find a job.

Hypothetics.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Arsenal's shite, Juve only hire italian managers and Barca usually turn to their ex-players plus Poch's Espanyol history.
Bayern I think also only hires managers that can speak German. Not sure but there were Bayern fans saying they wouldn't appoint Pochettino because of thatt

Castia

We could point out Poch's absymal form against the top 6 if you want a different chestnut?

What does that really matter? if he loses to Arsenal but then wins 10 games in a row who cares? what if he had 100% record against the top 6, won every single game but then dropped points against mid table teams?

His end result is what should be judged and he had no right getting Spurs to second and third. 'he's never won a trophy' whilst managing Espanyol, Southampton and a shitty Spurs side (when he took over) with little to no transfer funds, I've never understood the argument he had no right winning things.

90 + 5min

What does that really matter? if he loses to Arsenal but then wins 10 games in a row who cares? what if he had 100% record against the top 6, won every single game but then dropped points against mid table teams?

His end result is what should be judged and he had no right getting Spurs to second and third.
Agree. Thats is why you look at his career. His teams played good. His teams won 0 trophies.

I would like to point out that he had very good team already in place coming to Tottenham. So it is not like he took over Rochdale and made them compete for top 4. They were already up there near top.

Last edited:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

His end result is what should be judged and he had no right getting Spurs to second and third.
When we play in the later stages of cups then clearly it matters, its the difference between trophies and zero trophies. If he can't beat the best teams and Managers then why even bother wasting our time with him frankly.

Castia

When we play in the later stages of cups then clearly it matters, its the difference between trophies and zero trophies. If he can't beat the best teams and Managers then why even bother wasting our time with him frankly.

But even with his poor record he was finishing above the likes of us on a lower budget and getting further in cup competitions so what does that say about the rest? Shit against the top teams but still better than us, I remember when Klopp was shite in the bigger games and went on a run of multiple finals loses, the team will get the wins eventually.

Just look at the squad and position Spurs was in when he took over, I think people forget how shit they was. 1 top 4 finish in their PL history before he came in and that was down to a Ronaldo-like season from Bale.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
But even with his poor record he was finishing above the likes of us on a lower budget and getting further in cup competitions so what does that say about the rest?
That he managed a stable decent team and everyone else were through various states or rebuilding. The fact so many of the top teams were piss poor and yet still Pochettino couldn't beat them surely points to a huge flaw in his Management skills? He lost 31% of his home games against the top 6 and 63% away. I can imagine the United fans on here would love to see us get trashed in the big games. We got a 0-0 against Chelsea and people are losing their shit. He managed 2 clean sheets in 35 away games for example. Conceding on average 2 goals a game. He's great at setting up a team to smash the small teams but has no idea how to beat the tougher teams.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/a-serious-look-at-mauricio-pochettino.435511/page-342#post-26204159 - Away Form
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/a-serious-look-at-mauricio-pochettino.435511/page-345#post-26210726 - Home Form

Castia

That he managed a stable decent team and everyone else were through various states or rebuilding. The fact so many of the top teams were piss poor and yet still Pochettino couldn't beat them surely points to a huge flaw in his Management skills? He lost 31% of his home games against the top 6 and 63% away. I can imagine the United fans on here would love to see us get trashed in the big games. We got a 0-0 against Chelsea and people are losing their shit. He managed 2 clean sheets in 35 away games for example. Conceding on average 2 goals a game. He's great at setting up a team to smash the small teams but has no idea how to beat the tougher teams.
I mean, did you see the state of the squad when he arrived? his transfer budget? the fact Spurs had 1 Champions League run in their history before he came in. City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal we're spending millions in comparison.

They had one top 4 finish and that took a bale masterclass, they were a meme club before he came in.

They we're miles behind in quality of squad and transfer budget available. United we're signing Di Maria whilst Spurs we're signing Dele Ali from MK Dons. Harry Kane was a failed loan experiment with no real history at Spurs, look how those 2 ended up.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Hard to see Tuchel surviving if PSG go out of CL especially after last season's run. Losing their first game makes a group stage exit a bit possibility as Leipzig are no mugs either. Not sure when they last sacked a manager mid season though.

Still get the feeling that's a job he'd take without a second thought given he played for them and he can get some trophies under his belt and try to end their CL duck.

If PSG overlook him next time they appoint a manager then yeah it's time to take a semi decent job rather than holding out for the elite options.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Hard to see Tuchel surviving if PSG go out of CL especially after last season's run. Losing their first game makes a group stage exit a bit possibility as Leipzig are no mugs either. Not sure when they last sacked a manager mid season though.

Still get the feeling that's a job he'd take without a second thought given he played for them and he can get some trophies under his belt and try to end their CL duck.

If PSG overlook him next time they appoint a manager then yeah it's time to take a semi decent job rather than holding out for the elite options.
It would be a very bad move for Poch. Literally no one actually consider the league with PSG as a trophy . (Again, this is not a post disrespecting the Ligue )

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Would he ever go a season playing Messi as a false 9 or Firmino as a false 9?

It's a very simple tactic that some managers cant utelise and the best in the world can do after viewing their players.

It isnt about the tactic or the players - it just highlights what he would do if he came here.
As far as I know he can only use a striker like Kane, Janssen, Llorente, Lambert, osvaldo - it shows their inability to be flexible to bend a formation to the benefit of the players and only build a squad to fit his formation.

I really cant be bothered with another 3 years of this. I couldn't care what player he uses, but I really doubt he would use Greenwood, Rashford or Martial as a striker over Lukaku as an example.

This can be extended to his midfielders like Wanyama, Sissoko and Ndombele. Such technically average players that play with strength & energy. They remind me of Jose's love for Essien's, Motta's and Muntaris.

Then there is the Wesley Sneijders & Decos playing like Christian Eriksen.

The strikers playing like Zlatan, Kane, Drogba, Lukaku, Milito.

Pochettino really reminds me of a modern day, toned down, nice guy version of Mourinho & his tactics.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Hypothetically every top club could go in for Ole, but hypothetically no one could go for him either.

Hypothetically all the top clubs could be in for Poch and he rejected them all, but also hypothetically he's not wanted by anyone and is struggling to find a job.

Hypothetics.
Well that's pretty deep for a simple question.

Castia

Would he ever go a season playing Messi as a false 9 or Firmino as a false 9?

It's a very simple tactic that some managers cant utelise and the best in the world can do after viewing their players.

It isnt about the tactic or the players - it just highlights what he would do if he came here.
As far as I know he can only use a striker like Kane, Janssen, Llorente, Lambert, osvaldo - it shows their inability to be flexible to bend a formation to the benefit of the players and only build a squad to fit his formation.

I really cant be bothered with another 3 years of this. I couldn't care what player he uses, but I really doubt he would use Greenwood, Rashford or Martial as a striker over Lukaku as an example.

This can be extended to his midfielders like Wanyama, Sissoko and Ndombele. Such technically average players that play with strength & energy. They remind me of Jose's love for Essien's, Motta's and Muntaris.

Then there is the Wesley Sneijders & Decos playing like Christian Eriksen.

The strikers playing like Zlatan, Kane, Drogba, Lukaku, Milito.

Pochettino really reminds me of a modern day, toned down, nice guy version of Mourinho & his tactics.
That's a bit harsh, he was never going to drop Kane and rightly so, he didn't really have a choice when you have a striker at that level. Banging 25+ goals in a season not to mention getting goals from elsewhere like Dele, Eriksen and Son, they had to build around Kane.

spiriticon

Well that's pretty deep for a simple question.
It is a question that has no answer to it. Just like hypothetically asking why has Poch got no job now. Everyone's got their answer for it.

The only fact that matters is that Poch is unemployed and has been for a long time.

Last edited:

romufc

It's funny people use this as stick to beat Pochettino with when he rejected Madrid 2 years ago. Also wouldnt you have said Pochettino is a better manager than Koeman or City and Bayern's Assistant manager or Pirlo. It's obvious these clubs picked those managers for their affiliations with the club rather than their performance as managers
Where did I say no one would approach Ole? The word hypothetically speaks for itself so if Ole did leave us what type of top club would approach him in your opinion?
here is NO WAY that any top club would approach Ole. Let’s be real now.
Ofcourse I am not saying Ole would get another job, like Zidane, Pirlo etc, Ole only got the job beause of his affiliations with the club.

I am just saying the energy towards Ole out and not getting another top flight job should also be reflected to Poch.

The stick Ole gets for not getting another job, not being good enough to win the title, well Poch has not shown that he can win the title either.

So doesn't it tell us something when top clubs are going with inexperienced managers over what some people rate Poch as the 3rd best coach after Pep and Klopp?

I am not saying Poch will fail or be worse than Ole, he probably will be better but we dont need just better, if we are going to make a change, it needs to be someone who wants to win the league title.

If Poch signs, are we going to give him one full season and judge him? Because Ole's only got one season.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
That's a bit harsh, he was never going to drop Kane and rightly so, he didn't really have a choice when you have a striker at that level. Banging 25+ goals in a season not to mention getting goals from elsewhere like Dele, Eriksen and Son, they had to build around Kane.
Well he should have on the CL final when he brought back a semi injured Kane to replace Lucas in the centre - a player that got them to the final with a hat trick.

It's not really about Kane though - its about the similarities of his strikers, midfielders and tactics to Jose's strikers, midfielders and tactics.

I like Pochettino over Jose and always have but I really dont think he is a manager who tries to get the best out of the players he has over building his dream team fitting his one and true love for a tactic/formation.

I got tired of that type of building under Jose (Lukaku, Matic, Mkhitaryan and craving perisic etc) and even now Ole's inability to move away from a 4231 holds us back unnecessarily.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I mean, did you see the state of the squad when he arrived? his transfer budget? the fact Spurs had 1 Champions League run in their history before he came in. City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal we're spending millions in comparison.

They had one top 4 finish and that took a bale masterclass, they were a meme club before he came in.

They we're miles behind in quality of squad and transfer budget available. United we're signing Di Maria whilst Spurs we're signing Dele Ali from MK Dons. Harry Kane was a failed loan experiment with no real history at Spurs, look how those 2 ended up.
You could do a counter argument and say that he had some excellent players and a ready made World Class striker coming through the ranks. Tottenhams first team was on par with the majority of the clubs in the league. He still ended up having a terrible record against the big clubs and failed to win anything. Lets also not forget that Tottenham weren't some terrible club before he arrived, they were on the up and were finishing in the top 6 and doing well in Europe. Rose, Walker, Lloris, Vertonghen, Dembele, Eriksen, Kane, Lamela were all at Tottenham when he arrived. He did a good job trimming out the dross and strenghtened their squad (Oles doing that too), he's certainly good at building a team and having them play well against the easier teams. He did a terrific job with Kane. Certainly pros and cons, but the fanbase won't accept being trashed by the top 6 again and again.

Personally, if we wanted Pochettino we should have got him instead of Ole and allowed him to rebuild the team and then replace him with a Manager ready to actually compete for titles and trophies. I'm actually please the club haven't panicked and got him in. Either way, we won't agree as you seem to rate him. I hope he goes to Madrid, i'm more in favour of going the Nagelsmann route.

spiriticon

If Poch signs I demand titles in Year 1 because this thread has promised me unbelievable managerial magic if he joins.

Seriously though, I have nothing against Poch but I get tired of people bigging him, Naglesmann and Rose up constantly.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
It has a question that has no answer to it. Just like hypothetically asking why has Poch got no job now. Everyone's got their answer for it.

The only fact that matters is that Poch is unemployed and has been for a long time.
Hypothetically literally means imagining a possibility rather than the reality which means it doesn't have to have a definitive answer.

Personally for me I can imagine a possibility that Ole if sacked this season he will never find a top 6 job in any top league in the world which is why I asked the romufc what top clubs would hire Ole.

Whereas I strongly believe that Pochs' next job will be of some importance.

It's not a case of hate Ole love Poch but just by their personal CVs they make their own case.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Ofcourse I am not saying Ole would get another job, like Zidane, Pirlo etc, Ole only got the job beause of his affiliations with the club.

I am just saying the energy towards Ole out and not getting another top flight job should also be reflected to Poch.

The stick Ole gets for not getting another job, not being good enough to win the title, well Poch has not shown that he can win the title either.

So doesn't it tell us something when top clubs are going with inexperienced managers over what some people rate Poch as the 3rd best coach after Pep and Klopp?

I am not saying Poch will fail or be worse than Ole, he probably will be better but we dont need just better, if we are going to make a change, it needs to be someone who wants to win the league title.

If Poch signs, are we going to give him one full season and judge him? Because Ole's only got one season.
If Ole is to be sacked it will be because it was deserved and even you will approve. Its also become a trend to hire a manager based on club affiliations. It's so bad now that a big club like Juve hired a manager that has coached only one youth game in his entire career because he was a legend. I fear what Chelsea will become if they get a very good manager that suits their squad

romufc

If Ole is to be sacked it will be because it was deserved and even you will approve. Its also become a trend to hire a manager based on club affiliations. It's so bad now that a big club like Juve hired a manager that has coached only one youth game in his entire career because he was a legend. I fear what Chelsea will become if they get a very good manager that suits their squad
If Ole is sacked, it will be because performances / tactics./ vision is not there. I won't lie and say, I will be surprised if Ole is sacked.

Do I want him sacked right now? No, I am giving him benefit of the doubt to see what he can do.

Do I think Klopp can win us the league? with this team yes. Any other manager, I dont know, probably not.

spiriticon

Hypothetically literally means imagining a possibility rather than the reality which means it doesn't have to have a definitive answer.

Personally for me I can imagine a possibility that Ole if sacked this season he will never find a top 6 job in any top league in the world which is why I asked the romufc what top clubs would hire Ole.

Whereas I strongly believe that Pochs' next job will be of some importance.

It's not a case of hate Ole love Poch but just by their personal CVs they make their own case.
I can also imagine possibilities where Ole gets another top job elsewhere if he does well this season.

I can also imagine a possibility where Poch will struggle immensely in his next job because he's been out of work for a while.

Neither scenario is totally impossible.

Hypothetic scenarios are very opinion driven.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It would be a very bad move for Poch. Literally no one actually consider the league with PSG as a trophy . (Again, this is not a post disrespecting the Ligue )
They've still managed to attract Emery, Tuchel and Ancelotti in recent times (and as much as I like Poch he can't really be considered much above those guys in terms of achievements just yet). And of course become first PSG coach to win them the CL would still be a big pull.