A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The biggest compliment you can give him is he's actually made Spurs viable again. They've been a joke the last 10 years or so, but you know you're in a match against them now.

I'd gladly take him over Jose any day of the week. Think he'd do wonders with our young squad.

Infestissumam

He's taken Spurs as far as they're going to go. The last few seasons will be remembered as their zenith in the PL era.
yes ... and they'll have no silverware to show for it. Must be frustrating.

I like Poch a lot and would welcome him at United with open arms. He's done a great job at Spurs in my opinion - he only made one mistake there and that was signing that new contract. Sure, he's paid nicely but getting out of it next summer probably won't be straightforward.

Mick321

This is actually where we should be on at his agent every week, while things are a bit down there, if he's having doubts about the future because they are going to be broke etc. We'd actually play good football again and cross the half way line at places like Anfield, imagine that!

Andersons Dietician

If we’re smart we sell him the job and start putting the structure in place for him immediately (DoF etc), then bring him in next Summer.

Kinda like City did with Pep.

Are we smart though?
Would it not be considered as tapping up now since he is under contract at Spurs? I’m not sure how much we could really do without it being easy for Spurs to build a case against us. I do agree that it would be nice to have a head start on a structure already of what he wants before he arrives and if he does I would hope Carrick and McKenna are kept on in some capacity.

You know what we are like tho and if Jose goes it’ll probably be a who is available job and we’ll go for Zidane and hope he is a miracle worker instead of someone to build a structure and move us forward.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
If Pochettino is smart he just stays at Tottenham. He has one of the most talented strikers in the world, who's been literally carrying the team with 20+ league goals a season four years in a row (compare that to our forwards). He's got great talents like Eriksen and Alli in midfield, and better defenders than we've ever had for four years straight now. He wins nothing with them, but gets massive credit none the less to a point where some people act like he's a bona fide top manager.

If he just stays at Tottenham until the end of the season or even longer, so many big clubs will eventually come for him, like for example Bayern, Real Madrid, maybe PSG or even Barca one day. All those jobs are easier than the current/future United job, and if he'd take the United job and not be an unequivocal success within a year he can say goodbye to all the goodwill he's created so far. Or in short: it makes no sense at all for him to come to United.

Greek9

Supports
Panathinaikos
This guy keeps on failing and some United fans keep wanting him, impressive... They are on the verge of elimination in the Group stage of CL, and just yesterday lost at home against City, i repeat LOST, i don't care how they lost just like this fanbase doesn't care how United loses and slams Jose after each defeat, it is most likely that again they don't win anything this season and not even playing more attractive football than United (Not even arguable having seen plenty of their games this season which have been equally boring and defensive) and some people still want him, again impressive...

Aloysius's Back 3

Only reason I would want him here is if we can get Kane along with him. If not then, I'd prefer someone like Jardim or Eddie Howe which would move us away from the current football we play but also have a manager who builds his team dependant on the players he has. Pochettino would be good at this too, but again if we are planning to weaken spurs - I'd rather we go all out and put the nail in the coffin.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
You're judgement needs questioning if you think Pochettino is failing as Tottenham manager.

sugar_kane

I have to say I really dislike the lack of discipline his team shows when losing (ie. hacking down the opposition) - they've done this quite a few times in high profile games. I can't say if this comes from him or not or if it's just cos Spurs have a few snide players in their ranks but he should make them cut that shit out.

padr81

Supports
Man City
The first time I've questioned him was his comments last night. yes, financially they are on a different planet to us at City but those comments after the game were strange, surely their priority has to be having a go at the title just like City?
They've been knocking on the door for awhile and for him to say they aren't competing for the title is really, really weird.

Boycott

You're judgement needs questioning if you think Pochettino is failing as Tottenham manager.
I'd be interested to see what those people say if he has his lowest league finish but wins a cup. They seem to have it concrete that only a trophy will validate his work.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The first time I've questioned him was his comments last night. yes, financially they are on a different planet to us at City but those comments after the game were strange, surely their priority has to be having a go at the title just like City?
They've been knocking on the door for awhile and for him to say they aren't competing for the title is really, really weird.
I think he's very frustrated and does well to hide the fact that he is. It was clear Spurs needed strengthening last season. He emphasised it at the end of the season and I have no doubt, he got some reassurances before he signed that contract. To go from that to signing feck all must have been annoying.
I think yesterday's comments are how he's felt all season.
I have to say I really dislike the lack of discipline his team shows when losing (ie. hacking down the opposition) - they've done this quite a few times in high profile games. I can't say if this comes from him or not or if it's just cos Spurs have a few snide players in their ranks but he should make them cut that shit out.
Think it comes from him. He was a snide player as well.

Greek9

Supports
Panathinaikos
So what excatly would any other coach do worse in his place right now, relegate them? lol, Is he doing any good in europe? no.. they might actually finish 4th behind the dutch lol, Is he doing any wonders in the league? no.. Sure he is 5th but Arsenal with a new coach and a barely capable squad are 4th maybe we sould go after Emery instead? So tell me exactly how is he doing a job worthy of hiring him here. Spurs were actully closer to the title once before he arrived and also were paticipating in europe too, so what exactly is he doing? I'm not even watching an attractive football from his team like Liverpool and City supposedly offer.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
So what excatly would any other coach do worse in his place right now, relegate them? lol, Is he doing any good in europe? no.. they might actually finish 4th behind the dutch lol, Is he doing any wonders in the league? no.. Sure he is 5th but Arsenal with a new coach and a barely capable squad are 4th maybe we sould go after Emery instead? So tell me exactly how is he doing a job worthy of hiring him here. Spurs were actully closer to the title once before he arrived and also were paticipating in europe too, so what exactly is he doing? I'm not even watching an attractive football from his team like Liverpool and City supposedly offer.
Yet you want to keep Mourinho. What do you think Mourinho would do would Tottenham's squad? How do you think he would react to the owners spending nothing in a transfer window?

The cult of personality around Mourinho is just plain weird.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Spurs can say goodbye to Kane and Eriksen with the manager coming out and talking like that. They're players you need to delude into thinking you're going to compete not confirm to them you're not really trying
What did he say?

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
How are they strange, his comments? I'd like to see Pep fighting for titles with Poch's team and budget.

R'hllor

Things around MP confusing me a bit in here, last season our league position (in front of Tottenham) was shoved in faces of those who praised MP, now they say how our squad is worse then theirs and thats after we added players and they didnt.

Oh and about someone above saying about JM`s reaction if he got stopped on a red light when it comes to transfer, would pay to see it, wonder on what level of melt it would be.

Smores

You guys sound like the pool fans of seasons gone you know? Net spend trophy!

His job at Spurs is to win trophies and yes he's failed at that, he's doing an adequate job overall though. He's got a team that can be competing for titles and he's not really come close. He's shown nothing more than the likes of Rodgers yet he's hailed for his work way beyond others.

People speak as if Spurs were some bottom of the table team when he joined but they were always on the cusp. He's improved them about 10% which coincidently has coincided with a generational talent coming through. Go figure

padr81

Supports
Man City
How are they strange, his comments? I'd like to see Pep fighting for titles with Poch's team and budget.
They are already fighting for titles! They narrowly messed up in the Leicester season and had they kept their head they'd be champions, they've finished above City in 2 of the last 3 seasons.
I don't expect him to win the league fwiw, I just didn't expect him to say City are on another level or that Spurs shouldn't be trying to win the title. Should he say "well we should be trying to come 6th, because the other 5 teams spent more?".

I'm not saying for a second he's doing a poor job, quite the opposite, but yes, when you come 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, I think you have to admit you are a challenger (which is phenomenal given his budget). They were also only 2 points off City going into the game last night and on another day with one or two things going their way, they'd have still been 2 points behind this morning.

Andersons Dietician

These 2 are like a better version of Ant & Dec. they are spot on in what they are saying, It really is ludicrous to expect them to win the league with the restraints they are under. Levy does a great and so has Pochetinho. They can’t really shop in the top market but they do a brilliant job shopping in the bargain bin and picking up players at the right time before they are someone’s. No doubt having Kane has been fortuitous but they really are a club that has shown up to a gun fight armed with a knife and they are holding their own and Poch is a big part of that.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Spurs hit gold with Kane, but it can be argued they kept him after x amount of loans rather than just selling him on like a Chelsea.

Top quality strikers you break the bank for. Especially when they are netting 20 and 30+ goals over 3 or 4 years.

Alli as well, as much as I dislike him his return of 48 goals in 153 matches for Spurs is really good. Can play off the striker, drop into midfield, etc. What would he be worth on the market?

As an edit id like to add I feel they have missed Alli.

Murray3007

my biggest gripe is his signings ain't been very good over the last few seasons. granted they aint spent a lot of money, but what they have spent the players have not really improved spurs. as for the net spend thing and saying Levy should spend more Poch knew what he was like yet signed a big deal back in the summer so he has to take some of the blame in this as well.

Jojo <3 Mou

Yet you want to keep Mourinho. What do you think Mourinho would do would Tottenham's squad? How do you think he would react to the owners spending nothing in a transfer window?

The cult of personality around Mourinho is just plain weird.
I don't think Mourinho would have been able to assemble this team as Pochettino has done through patience, coaching and incorporating youngsters etc. but I believe that if you give him this team then he would be challenging for the league etc. Spurs has a really good team. Of course they can be improved but they have a solid base.

Ultimately, it's not how much you spend but what you accomplish with that spending. Despite spending a lot less than most Spurs has assembled a great team and a good squad that is certainly better than United's.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
Spurs have a quality 11 but they don’t have much depth and they could have improved that 11 if they had anything like a reasonable spend for a top 4 team. Doubt anyone disagrees that if they spent 150m on 2-3 players they would be a lot closer to winning something yet that spending doesn’t happen.

Every other big team manager has been able to spend big to improve their squad except Poch. I don’t see how you can have similar expectations without a level playing field. Why can’t he take it to the next level and win shit? Well because he can’t go out and sign the players he needs to do so. There are obvious gaps in his squad that he sees but unlike other big clubs he can’t just plug it with big money signings. It’s simple.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
The biggest compliment you can give him is he's actually made Spurs viable again. They've been a joke the last 10 years or so, but you know you're in a match against them now.

I'd gladly take him over Jose any day of the week. Think he'd do wonders with our young squad.
Again?

When were they viable in the first place?