A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

AP88

Supports
Man City
That's how we beat Madrid and Dortmund, I am afraid the main thing that sets winners apart in the long run is money, and lots of it.
I was about to say, he looked like he’d sussed it in European games; the Madrid home game was bright. But then in the City game he fecked it massively. If he applies the same caution and tailored tactical approach to domestic games, he can succeed. But he has to actually do it.

RooneyLegend

Allegri didn’t have world class players at Cagliari, nor Conte at Atalanta/Bari. Zizou and Pep had their first senior jobs at Real and Barca respectively.....what do they all have in common? When they did have good players, they won trophies. Pocchettino has great players, and hasn’t.

What is it with this perpetual content with finishing in the top 4? Must be a North London thing.....
Does he have the best players in the league though, also these players are developing into great players at different times. Mind you, he's also liable to lose players(i.e Walker) due to the financial difference between them and their competition. He's not in the position those coaches were when they finally got the sort of jobs that come with the trophy expectation. Whether you know or don't. spurs are currently in their best spell ever since the prem started.

When you are Spurs you have to be content with it as long as the club is making progress. They've broken their club points totals in recent years under his reign. Acting like he's managing United, City or Chelsea doesn't make sense. He can't see what his club needs and then hit the market and purchase it overnight while keeping the rest of the side.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I was about to say, he looked like he’d sussed it in European games; the Madrid home game was bright. But then in the City game he fecked it massively. If he applies the same caution and tailored tactical approach to domestic games, he can succeed. But he has to actually do it.
I'm not sure how anyone can suss the tactical proficiency of any manager from one off games. If that's the case, how would you evaluate Mourinho's performance in such games this season? Compare them to Klopp, Guardiola and Pochettino.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Does he have the best players in the league though, also these players are developing into great players at different times. Mind you, he's also liable to lose players(i.e Walker) due to the financial difference between them and their competition. He's not in the position those coaches were when they finally got the sort of jobs that come with the trophy expectation. Whether you know or don't. spurs are currently in their best spell ever since the prem started.

When you are Spurs you have to be content with it as long as the club is making progress. They've broken their club points totals in recent years under his reign. Acting like he's managing United, City or Chelsea doesn't make sense. He can't see what his club needs and then hit the market and purchase it overnight while keeping the rest of the side.
Very well put.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
That's how we beat Madrid and Dortmund, I am afraid the main thing that sets winners apart in the long run is money, and lots of it.
I'm not sure if you are aware, but Madrid and Dortmund are a shambles this season. Madrid have lost to the mighty Real Betis and Girona. Dortmund have lost to Werder Bremen and Stuttgart...

Strange that when Spurs win it's 'Pochettino is a good manager', when they lose its 'well he's doing it on a budget'. Whatever fits the narrative.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Allegri didn’t have world class players at Cagliari, nor Conte at Atalanta/Bari. Zizou and Pep had their first senior jobs at Real and Barca respectively.....what do they all have in common? When they did have good players, they won trophies. Pocchettino has great players, and hasn’t.

What is it with this perpetual content with finishing in the top 4? Must be a North London thing.....
Yeah and I don't get all the focus some clubs have on not getting relegated either, I mean - if it's not winning it's just meaningless right?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I'm not sure if you are aware, but Madrid and Dortmund are a shambles this season. Madrid have lost to the mighty Real Betis and Girona. Dortmund have lost to Werder Bremen and Stuttgart...

Strange that when Spurs win it's 'Pochettino is a good manager', when they lose its 'well he's doing it on a budget'. Whatever fits the narrative.
What has that got to do with how we beat them? I swear some people on here are just so glad to slag off it's unreal lol. Where did I say he's so great for
beating them? So narrow minded it's unreal, I'm well aware how they are performing so ur patronising wit falls quite short.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
What has that got to do with how we beat them? I swear some people on here are just so glad to slag off it's unreal lol. Where did I say he's so great for
beating them? So narrow minded it's unreal, I'm well aware how they are performing so ur patronising wit falls quite short.
You treated it as some sort of significant milestone for Poch; which it isnt. Pochettino beat Madrid so he must be showing his tactical worth...nope, any team can beat any other team in a one-off game, especially when one team is having a bad season.

I think Pochettino is a good manager; so I'm not being narrow minded. But I am of the opinion that Poch either needs to win trophies with Spurs or move to a club with higher ambitions so he can be put to the test. I don't work with the assumption that Poch would win everything under the sun with money; because its a foolish assumption. Many managers work better in low pressure environments and cannot handle clubs like Madrid where you have 3 years to win everything.

I think if Poch gets the nod for the Madrid job; then he will go. I would be interested to see how he would perform with them.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
You treated it as some sort of significant milestone for Poch; which it isnt. Pochettino beat Madrid so he must be showing his tactical worth...nope, any team can beat any other team in a one-off game, especially when one team is having a bad season.

I think Pochettino is a good manager; so I'm not being narrow minded. But I am of the opinion that Poch either needs to win trophies with Spurs or move to a club with higher ambitions so he can be put to the test. I don't work with the assumption that Poch would win everything under the sun with money; because its a foolish assumption. Many managers work better in low pressure environments and cannot handle clubs like Madrid where you have 3 years to win everything.

I think if Poch gets the nod for the Madrid job; then he will go. I would be interested to see how he would perform with them.
No mate I didn't, show me where I even said it was a massive victory, I simply said he changed his tactics.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Puhlease. I listed a number of players who are either a)as good or b) better than Kane. In your mind you decided all on your own that everyone I listed was called better than Kane. I'm not responsible for you failure to understand my post. I also don't care if you Kane scored the most goals in 2017. A standard football season runs from August to May, Not January to February.
If you really think all the players you listed are as good or better than Kane, then either a) you haven't seen him or any of those other players play in ages or b) your football knowledge is seriously lacking.

It also not an ad hominem to call out this fanboish attachment you have to Kane. Listing him laughably as one of the top 2 strikers in the world.
lol. That is literally an ad hominem attack, but go on...

You are the one still missing the point. The likes of Klopp, Mourinho/Hidink, Wenger, Van Gaal are not managers who are vying to prove themselves to big clubs like Pochetino. Plus all of them, only Wenger kept using the excuse of lack of funds as to why he couldn't win the league.

Since the likes of you are so hell bent on insisting Pochetino is a top tier manager. Why couldn't he beat a Leicester to the title with a superior side and resources?
Wait, what? So a manager of a big club is not trying to prove himself at that said big club? One of the most nonsensical things I've heard in a while. Every single one of those managers expected to fight for the title. For you to hold it against Poch for losing out to Leicester, but not the other managers is pure lunacy.

And why is his overall record vs top rivals so bad?
Tactics, players, injuries, etc. Take your pick, but again you are missing the point. There is no top 6 trophy. Isolating results against the top 6 is a pointless exercise. Like I said before, given that he is in charge of the 6th richest club is it that illogical that Spurs have the worst record of the top 6?

The only thing absurd here is your increasingly farcical understanding of my posts. At no point have I painted Pochetino as mediocre, nor called him mediocre. That is all in your head. Furthermore, there is no doubt he is over hyped. Your statements in defence of him in here are proof enough. As is his record vs rival clubs when put under strong scrutiny.

No dude. Its you rather simply proving a repeated failure to understand yet again. Leicester City won the EPL title in spite of expectations and a lack of resources. Its amazing this simply reality keeps failing to register with you. I also don't know where you got the ludicrous notion that such an argument entails not judging managers via expectations.
There is nothing to understand in your posts. You speaking a bunch of gibberish, moving goalposts and arguing in circles. My statements are more a critique of your outlandish supporting arguments of him being a overrated manager. I'm not a Spurs, Poch, or Kane fan but I'll call out absurd statements when I see them.

Correct. Yet here you are telling us we should not look at Pochetino's record vs the top 6 rivals or the fact with superior resources he couldn't best a Leicester City to an EPL title and we shouldn't expect him to be doing better, if he is indeed a top tier manager as you claim. How does that work exactly?
I'll reiterate, but you can just reread the above
1) You cannot just isolate record vs top 6. Top 6 matches constitute no more than ~25% (cup and European matches) of the total matches in a season.
2) Of all the top 6 teams, Spurs have the least amount of resources. Not crazy that they have the worst record
3) All top 6 teams lost out to Leicester City. Be consistent in your criticism.

That's all.

Last edited:

RedChip

The way Spurs fans defend Poch, one would think they are content with not winning anything.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
The way Spurs fans defend Poch, one would think they are content with not winning anything.
Of course we want to win things, but we're competing against 5 other teams with bigger reasources, our main aim right now is to stay at the top section of the league. I really don't know why this is so hard to get.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Or perhaps one would think that a set of fans who support a club that has won 2 league cups in the last 20 years and has the 6th biggest resources in the league (closer to the likes of Everton or Villa than we are to the 4 richest clubs especially), wouldn't feel entitled to trophies and would appreciate the job he has done so far, even if we obviously would all like to win trophies.

And they would perhaps also note that it is only Man Utd fans who seem to have this weird, patronising attitude to trophies (or perhaps the dominant club in each league does) and that a manager and team can still be doing a good job, even if they haven't won a trophy?

I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to get at. Do you think we should fire him and hire someone who will apparently guarantee us trophies?

RedChip

Of course we want to win things, but we're competing against 5 other teams with bigger reasources, our main aim right now is to stay at the top section of the league. I really don't know why this is so hard to get.
But, but...Your team is good enough to win something. So not expecting that they do so does appear (for an outsider) as lacking ambition.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I'm not sure if you are aware, but Madrid and Dortmund are a shambles this season. Madrid have lost to the mighty Real Betis and Girona. Dortmund have lost to Werder Bremen and Stuttgart.......
It's always the same story from some opposition fans on here. When Spurs finished 2nd or 3rd it was apparently only because the other clubs had "under-performed". And when we top our CL group, it's only because RM and Dortmund are a shambles this season.

In other words, there are always apparently special circumstances to explain it all away ... and it's always nothing much to do with Spurs themselves.

RedChip

Or perhaps one would think that a set of fans who support a club that has won 2 league cups in the last 20 years and has the 6th biggest resources in the league (closer to the likes of Everton or Villa than we are to the 4 richest clubs especially), wouldn't feel entitled to trophies and would appreciate the job he has done so far, even if we obviously would all like to win trophies.

And they would perhaps also note that it is only Man Utd fans who seem to have this weird, patronising attitude to trophies (or perhaps the dominant club in each league does) and that a manager and team can still be doing a good job, even if they haven't won a trophy?

I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to get at. Do you think we should fire him and hire someone who will apparently guarantee us trophies?
No, I just think you should be expecting more now that you are where you are. Not doing so will be stagnation.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
No mate I didn't, show me where I even said it was a massive victory, I simply said he changed his tactics.
That's what I meant by milestone; as if Poch has turned a corner by beating Real Madrid. That game was not tactical brilliance from Pochettino. Trippier was offside for the first goal; there was a massive deflection for the second goal. Real Madrid had to push for a goal after that which meant you caught them out at the back. Not to mention Madrid had their fair share of chances.

Spurs had an xG of 2.2
Madrid had an xG of 2.0

That game could have reasonably been a draw or a win for Madrid because they created many good chances. But Spurs were very clinical and Madrid were not.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
That's what I meant by milestone; as if Poch has turned a corner by beating Real Madrid. That game was not tactical brilliance from Pochettino. Trippier was offside for the first goal; there was a massive deflection for the second goal. Real Madrid had to push for a goal after that which meant you caught them out at the back. Not to mention Madrid had their fair share of chances.

Spurs had an xG of 2.2
Madrid had an xG of 2.0

That game could have reasonably been a draw or a win for Madrid because they created many good chances. But Spurs were very clinical and Madrid were not.
My god we're going to what ifs now? All I said was Poch changed his style for 2 games in response to another poster? Look if you don't rate Poch that's tour opinion, and your quite welcome to it, I do rate him. No he is not world class at this moment in time but there is no other attainable manager I would trade him for.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Glaston has done a number on some of you mentally when it comes to speaking about anything Spurs related. To suggest Pochettino is doing anything less than a great job at Spurs is simply ignorant.
I dont think people are arguing that he is doing a bad job at Spurs. Clearly he is doing well on a net spend around 20mil vs say Cashiola and his net spend of what, 400mil?

More that is his managerial nous good enough for one of the biggest clubs on the planet in RM considering he has never won anything and would his style fit RM, a team full of prima donna superstars? He seems very 'my way or the highway' in his approach which is not going to fly at a club like RM. But seems perfect for bringing through young talent from the academy as you have young, eager, kids buying into his footballing philosophy.

Poch better than Jardim?

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
I dont think people are arguing that he is doing a bad job at Spurs. Clearly he is doing well on a net spend around 20mil vs say Cashiola and his net spend of what, 400mil?

More that is his managerial nous good enough for one of the biggest clubs on the planet in RM considering he has never won anything and would his style fit RM, a team full of prima donna superstars? He seems very 'my way or the highway' in his approach which is not going to fly at a club like RM. But seems perfect for bringing through young talent from the academy as you have young, eager, kids buying into his footballing philosophy.

Poch better than Jardim?

You are correct I don't think Poch is ready for a job like Madrid. If he can't win anything with this Spurs side, and leaves for Madrid I'd be gob smacked that they've offered him the job. I wouldn't trade Poch for any other manager, but at the same time, I don't think he'd be first pick for the Madrid job. I also think it doesn't suit his philosophy, to take a job like Madrid. Maybe in 5 years when he has more experience and some silverware, but really, he needs to win a league title with Spurs. City's dominance won't go on for ever, as we've seen in the past, teams lose hunger, decline etc. I do believe Spurs have the capability to win the league in the next few seasons but it will be incredibly tough.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Wonder if they will go in for Kane as well, they would have to throw some serious money around for Levy to give the nod. Like quarter of a billion kind of money for Levy to let Kane and Pochettino go to RM, BBC saying it's on now, but probably the usual click bait.

Rajma

If Real makes it clear to him that they're keen on him then he's off imo, I guess he would love to manage Spurs further but at the back of his mind he probably is unable to shake off the thought that Spurs aren't giving him the hefty backing in the transfer market he needs on top of best players leaving disillusioned year-on-year basis. He realizes that his stock is at its highest right now and short-to-medium term it will only going one direction, which is down due to being put at a massive disadvantage when compared to rivals. He knows it may be once in a lifetime opportunity, so my bet is on him leaving this summer given Real is seriously considering him.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
If Real makes it clear to him that they're keen on him then he's off imo, I guess he would love to manage Spurs further but at the back of his mind he probably is unable to shake off the thought that Spurs aren't giving him the hefty backing in the transfer market he needs
Yeah if he wants to be backed in the transfer market he's probably better off staying at spurs

AlwaysRed66

If Pochettino does end up at Real Madrid, this will improve their chances of getting Kane by all accounts. Can't see Levy losing the manager without a fight, as he seems to be the reason for most of the team staying there.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Can blame the defence all we want but Matic, Jones and Smalling are the 3 man pivot at the back and each has a Spurs player on them at all times. To make a pass they have to move away from their position by about 10 yards and it’s totally destabilised us. Our threat remains on a direct ball over Spurs’ midfield but it’s hopeful rather than controlled attacking. Pochettino is the one bossing this game so far.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Two changes that made an instant impact. Brilliant tactical awareness by Pochettino.
Definitely; he had Wanyama to score a goal of the season in his tactical brief ; and knew that Lamela's good looks were too much for VVD who coudlnt resist getting a piece of him.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Definitely; he had Wanyama to score a goal of the season in his tactical brief ; and knew that Lamela's good looks were too much for VVD who coudlnt resist getting a piece of him.
:lol:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
:lol:

When was the last time Wanyama scored a goal from open play? Poch had crystal ball.