A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Anyway, in all seriousness, thinking Spurs as a club have no heritage is the kind of thinking of fans from about 4-5 clubs worldwide, who think only those 4-5 clubs are worth supporting.

Every club has heritage. Considering heritage essentially means history, Spurs have the same as Man Utd, who have the same as Rochdale. All of these clubs have been around for well over 100 years, giving their fans something to do and cheer on weekends for that time. Man Utd are obviously much more famous than those clubs and better known worldwide though.

Genuinely a cursory read of the Spurs wiki page would perhaps show you a bit of history. Similarly, a cursory read of the Man Utd page may show you the cheesiness of perhaps some of the things you believe about the Man Utd 'heritage'.

As an aside PNG is about 80% rural and not exactly the wealthiest of countries. Having been there, it is a stunning country but unsurprisingly, the PL is hardly at the top of most peoples' concerns over there.

Nucks

RT History Department
Said in a previous post that I was trying not to be patronising but please do go on and tell me about your heritage. What does it mean to be a Spurs player? What does a player coming to Tottenham Hotspur know about the club before they arrive? What is your expected brand of football? What is the expected mentality of your players?
What? It doesn't work that way, you can't say "I'm not trying to be X" and then behave exactly as X, and not get called out for being X.

Oh, and literally everything you've said is horse shit. Not to be an ass or anything, but, what you're saying is hilarious tier top red delusional tripe.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I don't get what you're trying to say then. All I have said is that if Pochettino went to United, he would want to bring his own staff to the club, which United would have to let him do if they wanted him to be manager. If you buy in to a managers philosophy then you allow him control over the staff. Top managers always want to bring their own people with them.

Oh man, a fan from Papa New Guinea wouldn't know what we stand for? Devastated. I'm not really arsed what people who only care about the top 5 clubs in world football think about our identity, the people at the heart of the club and the fans absolutely do, and that's reflected in how we're doing at the moment. Pochettino has been a great representation of that whilst bringing in his own staff and having a good deal of control, because whilst nobody is bigger than the club the manager absolutely does need to be able to stamp his authority on the playing staff. Ferguson exercised an enormous amount of authority over United as a club.

I'm not going to sit here and lecture you about Tottenham's history, this isn't the thread for that, it's about Pochettino as a manager and his suitability for United. If you want to learn about us then go use google and you'll find plenty.
Well said.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
You've basically repeated everything I've said as if you've presumed everything I said was the most extreme version of what it could be interpreted as.

I'd also love to hear about the 'Tottenham way' if any Spurs fans would care to educate me on what they believe someone from Papa New Guinea would think Tottenham as a football club stood for. Of course, we'll forget the winning of titles and trophies you pointed out.

In all seriousness, I think you'll find your club is mostly known for having Jewish connections, that's about it.
You do come across very elitist, people support a vast spectrum of clubs and each club has a heritage to say otherwise shows a real lack of football knowledge, United yes is the most successful team of modern times I don’t think anyone would deny that, but why do you feel the need to belittle other long established clubs. Do you not think Spurs fans love Tottenham as much as you love United?

Heritage and tradition aren’t born from outright success, even though Spurs has a history of success all be it too long ago. Football isn’t just PL or the CL success, football is about the fans who go week in week out rain hail or shine to support their club. Your posts reek of *your nothing with out titles* which in that case football as we know it would have died long, long ago.

lex talionis

Think he just signed a pre contract with hoffenheim

Edit: Can’t for the life of me find where I saw that, I wouldn’t be surprised though.
Just googled that and didn't find anything to that effect. But it wouldn't be a surprise if Marco Rose has already found a new club. I don't think management are interested in a big risk -- yes, huge potential upside, but huge downside too -- in filling the shoes once worn by Sir Alex. Assuming it is Pochettino, if it were to end badly management can always argue that he ticked all the right boxes. (Except for actually having won a single trophy.)

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Just googled that and didn't find anything to that effect. But it wouldn't be a surprise if Marco Rose has already found a new club. I don't think management are interested in a big risk -- yes, huge potential upside, but huge downside too -- in filling the shoes once worn by Sir Alex. Assuming it is Pochettino, if it were to end badly management can always argue that he ticked all the right boxes. (Except for actually having won a single trophy.)
Yeah, I could have sworn I saw a reputable tweet, but must have made it up! I think it's more likely step, than to us.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Pochettino directly criticizing Spurs spending in Press Conference again today.

He wants out...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/46787470
It's not the first time he has publically criticized the clubs lack of ambition in the transfer market. He's not wrong, either. You can be the greatest manager that ever lived, but if you are forced to work within the confines of a restricted transfer budget, whilst the competition continue to operate without restriction, it stands to reason that your club will eventually be left behind.

Levy needs to back Poch or risk losing him.

crossy1686

career ending
I don't get what you're trying to say then. All I have said is that if Pochettino went to United, he would want to bring his own staff to the club, which United would have to let him do if they wanted him to be manager. If you buy in to a managers philosophy then you allow him control over the staff. Top managers always want to bring their own people with them.

Oh man, a fan from Papa New Guinea wouldn't know what we stand for? Devastated. I'm not really arsed what people who only care about the top 5 clubs in world football think about our identity, the people at the heart of the club and the fans absolutely do, and that's reflected in how we're doing at the moment. Pochettino has been a great representation of that whilst bringing in his own staff and having a good deal of control, because whilst nobody is bigger than the club the manager absolutely does need to be able to stamp his authority on the playing staff. Ferguson exercised an enormous amount of authority over United as a club.

I'm not going to sit here and lecture you about Tottenham's history, this isn't the thread for that, it's about Pochettino as a manager and his suitability for United. If you want to learn about us then go use google and you'll find plenty.
And what I'm saying is that I'm certain he wouldn't be able to clear the staff out like previous managers because that hasn't worked for us for the last 6 years. The next incoming manager will have to work with a DOF and some backroom staff that is selected by the board in order to maintain the Manchester United DNA. You can say what you want about it not existing or being some sort of made up fantasy but tell me that you looked at United under Mourinho and thought to yourself "Yeah, this is what United are all about, defensive long ball". That won't be allowed to happen again so Pochettino won't get free rein should he eventually become the United manager.

Exactly my point. Your club doesn't exist in some corners of the world because you're not a brand, and this isn't a dig or an elitist view, I think Tottenham have been doing very well for a long time now and Kane has probably made you more of a household name than ever, but it's difficult to explain the vast differences between the attitudes of fans and players of different clubs that have an ethos and those that don't.

Well it's funny that because yourself and about 3 other Tottenham fans have told me I'm an elitist for saying your club doesn't have a heritage/ethos/defining characteristics but yet none of you have actually been able to tell me what they are. I'm not saying you're not a big club and deserve some sort of status, I'm only asking what the expectation is from a fans perspective and what people think when they think about Tottenham.

The PL say you're famous for multiple FA cup wins and playing exciting, attacking football. Would you agree?

crossy1686

career ending
Pochettino directly criticizing Spurs spending in Press Conference again today.

He wants out...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/46787470
He's right though. Stronger bench and they wouldn't have dropped points the other week. Tying a managers hands who potentially has the ability to win you the title must be frustrating for everyone involved and will force him out in the end. Wonder how much of an impact the new stadium is having on the budget? We all know what happened to Arsenal after they built theirs.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
And what I'm saying is that I'm certain he wouldn't be able to clear the staff out like previous managers because that hasn't worked for us for the last 6 years. The next incoming manager will have to work with a DOF and some backroom staff that is selected by the board in order to maintain the Manchester United DNA. You can say what you want about it not existing or being some sort of made up fantasy but tell me that you looked at United under Mourinho and thought to yourself "Yeah, this is what United are all about, defensive long ball". That won't be allowed to happen again so Pochettino won't get free rein should he eventually become the United manager.

Exactly my point. Your club doesn't exist in some corners of the world because you're not a brand, and this isn't a dig or an elitist view, I think Tottenham have been doing very well for a long time now and Kane has probably made you more of a household name than ever, but it's difficult to explain the vast differences between the attitudes of fans and players of different clubs that have an ethos and those that don't.

Well it's funny that because yourself and about 3 other Tottenham fans have told me I'm an elitist for saying your club doesn't have a heritage/ethos/defining characteristics but yet none of you have actually been able to tell me what they are. I'm not saying you're not a big club and deserve some sort of status, I'm only asking what the expectation is from a fans perspective and what people think when they think about Tottenham.

The PL say you're famous for multiple FA cup wins and playing exciting, attacking football. Would you agree?
It hasn't worked for you because you have hired poorly. Moyes, LVG and Mourinho were poor choices for a manager. There's no suggestion Pochettino would clear out United's entire staff, but he would absolutely want to bring some of his people over who understand his system. Pochettino doesn't play 'defensive, long ball' football, he wants to play on the front foot and press, so there's no danger of his philosophy being completely at odds with that of United. What do you mean you won't give him free reign? A manager needs control over his coaches and players. If you tell him he has to keep people on who are in direct contrast to his ideals, you should not be hiring that manager.

A United fan has said this as well. You've demonstrated an attitude which mistakes being a brand for genuine history. Just because a club isn't globally famous it doesn't mean that they don't possess an identity or a history. There are clubs in the lower leagues who are steeped in history that people from other countries won't even have heard of. For you to dismiss them because they aren't one of the select few 'household names' does come off as arrogant, it's as simple as that.

Yes, a big part of what is expected at the club is that we go out and play exciting football. It was a big issue for us when AVB was at the club and we were dull to watch. Our motto is 'to dare is to do', and we expect to try and play on the front foot regardless of who we're playing, the fans want to go out every week and be entertained, similar to United fans. We do have an identity, and managers coming in to the club will be expected to try and play a certain way, just like at Manchester United. The expectations for trophies won't be there, but that's because we're working with a much smaller budget.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Pochettino wants serious money to spend and seems to be putting pressure on Levy. Levy should back him with significant funds..

Peter Cook

Supports
AJAX
Poch has just said he wants to remain at Spurs for 20 years.

Sounds like he doesn't want to come to Man Utd.

Last edited by a moderator:

L1nk

It's a shame, because I really want Pochettino, but, and I know some people will say "oh well loads of people say that and end up leaving" to me it seems like he genuinely wants to stay, and isn't really bothered about the United job which he no doubt knows we want him for, yet he sais that. I hope we are actually looking at decent alternatives, and by decent i don't mean Laurent Blanc

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
TBF we were only ever going to grease the wheels for Real Madrid to get him anyway.

Maybe I'm sort of traitor but I'd prefer he stays in English football than goes to Real Madrid.

shaky

It's a shame, because I really want Pochettino, but, and I know some people will say "oh well loads of people say that and end up leaving" to me it seems like he genuinely wants to stay, and isn't really bothered about the United job which he no doubt knows we want him for, yet he sais that. I hope we are actually looking at decent alternatives, and by decent i don't mean Laurent Blanc
He genuinely wants to stay, but he genuinely wants the funds to compete too, as he's hinted many times. I don't think his desire to stay is going to be strong enough unless Levy seriously loosens the purse strings.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Pocchettino doesn't know if he will still be at Spurs when the new stadium opens. He says Spurs will be ready to win titles but he may not be there when that happens..

Glow

His press conference today was his way of saying that we is ready for a bigger club. I guess someone already has contacted him for a new job from the summer. Maybe us, but just as likely - Real Madrid.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs

Yep. Many times now he's said that he wants to establish a dynasty at Spurs, but some United posters ignore everything he says about this - and does (e.g. signing a new contract) - in favour of clutching at straws.

Last edited:

El Zoido

It’s irrelevant, it seems more like he’s just tired of the questions. He said he wasn’t going to leave Southampton, until he did. I’m sure Spurs fans will be using this as absolute proof he’ll be there forever though, bless ‘em.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Yep. Many times now he's said that he wants establish a dynasty at Spurs, but some United posters ignore everything he says about this - and does (e.g. signing a new contract) - in favour of clutching at straws.
I think he is giving Levy a backhanded ultimatum in that interview. Something along the lines of "back me or risk losing me".

I don't think anyone is questioning Poch's commitment to the Spurs project, but he will undoubtedly walk if that commitment is not matched with considerable transfer market investment by Levy. There is only so much Poch can do with one hand tied behind his back.

Genuine question: If Poch decided to join the long lost list of managers who reluctantly left their club due to insufficient transfer market backing, would you hold a grudge on him or turn your attention to the owner, Daniel Levy, instead?

I would direct that question at all Spurs fans as it happens.

gulli_G

His press conference today was his way of saying that we is ready for a bigger club. I guess someone already has contacted him for a new job from the summer. Maybe us, but just as likely - Real Madrid.
Yes that's what I understood, basically saying the club is in good hands, because of levy. And he would like to stay long term but maybe needs Wenger's advice to see if it would be a good idea.

JMack1234

The day Mourinho was sacked Poch could of come out all guns blazing and said something along the lines of, 'I'm not interested in the Man Utd job I see my future at Spurs this is where i'll be next season.' but he didn't.

Instead he comes up with the usual platitudes about how he hopes to be at Spurs for 20 years.

Well I hope to be married to Margot Robbie, won the Oscar for best actor and bagged myself the Noble peace prize in the next 20 years. It's totally meaningless.

The fact is Poch isn't dumb. He knows that he's done a fantastic job at Spurs and he's held back by the fact that Levy and co won't spend the money required to take them to the next level. If he wants to get to that level he has to leave. Simple as that.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I think he is giving Levy a backhanded ultimatum in that interview. Something along the lines of "back me or risk losing me".

I don't think anyone is questioning Poch's commitment to the Spurs project, but he will undoubtedly walk if that commitment is not matched with considerable transfer market investment by Levy. There is only so much Poch can do with one hand tied behind his back.

Genuine question: If Poch decided to join the long lost list of managers who reluctantly left their club due to insufficient transfer market backing, would you hold a grudge on him or turn your attention to the owner, Daniel Levy, instead?

I would direct that question at all Spurs fans as it happens.
You cant spend money you dont have. Why would the fans turn on Levy? Levy has his hands tied as much as Pochettino. A percentage of revenue and player sales goes to buying new players. Pochettino will get some cash when Spurs sell, they have a bunch of surplus players to move on.

Lewis is the owner and money behind the club no? But he certainly seems reluctant to pump any cash into Spurs. Unlike say Abramovich at Chelsea.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It’s irrelevant, it seems more like he’s just tired of the questions. He said he wasn’t going to leave Southampton, until he did. I’m sure Spurs fans will be using this as absolute proof he’ll be there forever though, bless ‘em.
Actually, that isn't what he said at all. When Cortese was let go and players kept on being sold, he was very very clear that he had to make a difficult decision and that Cortese had basically convinced him not to resign then. He said he'd be manager until the end of the season and then see.

A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

A relevant look at what he actually said.

The twisting of the words by the Man Utd fans is superb though.

Last edited:

stepic

I think he could be off. I can’t see Levy sanctioning a massive budget. Levy wants to establish Tottenham as a long term force, build the structure with the stadium etc, not overspend now to (maybe) win a trophy.

As Poch hinted at, Spurs became too good too fast, and now he’s going to be in a frustrated position being so close to winning but not having the financial backing to give him the best possible chance.

andreas pippias

Supports
Tottenham FC
Many Man Utd fans, clinging at straws, and scraping the barrel, in the hope that Poch will come to Utd.
Guys he isnt coming to Utd this summer, looking forward to hearing the ' We didn't want him any way' excuses.