Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andersons Dietician

Seems allergic to crossing at times. I’m never one to want need;ess balls just put in for the sake of it but he seemed to get in to loads of positions and had options but just didn’t want to do it. Would just pass it off to someone else.

Ekeke

Seems allergic to crossing at times. I’m never one to want need;ess balls just put in for the sake of it but he seemed to get in to loads of positions and had options but just didn’t want to do it. Would just pass it off to someone else.
Who do you think is the better crosser, AWB or Greenwood?

Greenwood made 5 crosses today. Guess who passed the ball to him for most of them

TrickyLeftWinger

He's one of the players you look at and ask yourself would he get into any of the other top teams squads.

I don't think he would, he's hard on the eye, limited in attack and has a terrible positional sense.
He wouldn’t start for any other team in the league. Such a limited footballer. Palace must be absolutely still laughing at us.

kidbob

Not too bad today but still his usual self which needs huge improvement.

For me currently it's:

Shaw > Telles (mainly because we have seen how good Shaw can be).

Dalot > AWB (simply think that Dalot has more of a chance of becoming a very good defender than AWB has of becoming a great attacker)

Devil81

Not too bad today but still his usual self which needs huge improvement.

For me currently it's:

Shaw > Telles (mainly because we have seen how good Shaw can be).

Dalot > AWB (simply think that Dalot has more of a chance of becoming a very good defender than AWB has of becoming a great attacker)

How about we just buy a top full back and clear the pair of them off.

Neither is United standard.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

Oof, so key, I'm reeling from the attacking intent.

In all seriousness, its decent play, but that's basically his maximum, and it's really nothing above basic.

You can see him when he gets the ball in the final third, he's just looking at how he can get rid of the ball to someone else ASAP.

DomM

He was awful in the second half, such a limited player, needs replacing.

kidbob

How about we just buy a top full back and clear the pair of them off.

Neither is United standard.
In an ideal world that would be the solution or even better Laird can stay fit and fulfill his huge potential. Realistically RB won't be a focus position in the market so for me Dalot is the one who we should give most game time too.

Ekeke

Oof, so key, I'm reeling from the attacking intent.

In all seriousness, its decent play, but that's basically his maximum, and it's really nothing above basic.

You can see him when he gets the ball in the final third, he's just looking at how he can get rid of the ball to someone else ASAP.
You realize thats his job right?

Its funny the same people who complain he isnt chucking the ball into the box or having pot shots are the ones who would complain if he crossed the ball or didnt score from the shot, despite our attacking players not producing from theirs either.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
You realize thats his job right?

Its funny the same people who complain he isnt chucking the ball into the box or having pot shots are the ones who would complain if he crossed the ball or didnt score from the shot, despite our attacking players not producing from theirs either.
If that's all you expect from your right back then fair enough. Most clubs demand more. You only have to look at Luke Shaw on the other side for more.

Ekeke

If that's all you expect from your right back then fair enough. Most clubs demand more. You only have to look at Luke Shaw on the other side for more.
He gives the ball to Sancho all the time. The difference is he gets the ball passed back into him after he makes the run.

Clearly on the other side our tactic is for Greenwood to ignore AWB's run and come inside onto his left foot because we want Greenwood shooting or crossing the ball from there

I will also say the same thing used to happen with Rashford and Shaw several seasons ago. Shaw would make the run on the outside and not get given the ball, Rashford would constantly come inside trying to use the space that run allows but we didnt see a great deal of Shaw's attacking because of it.

Devil81

In an ideal world that would be the solution or even better Laird can stay fit and fulfill his huge potential. Realistically RB won't be a focus position in the market so for me Dalot is the one who we should give most game time too.
To be fair I think it was pretty clear even Ole was attempting to sort the issue in the summer. Trippier was pursued.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He gives the ball to Sancho all the time. The difference is he gets the ball passed back into him after he makes the run.

Clearly on the other side our tactic is for Greenwood to ignore AWB's run and come inside onto his left foot because we want Greenwood shooting or crossing the ball from there
Not sure if its the tactic and just what Greenwood does himself.

Annihilate Now!

Scout

The difference is if you gave the ball back to AWB nothing would come of it...because he's not very good at crossing, or intricate play, or working the ball into the box in any meaningful way.

Cassidy

It would be great to upgrade him with a serious attacking talent at RB

Ekeke

The difference is if you gave the ball back to AWB nothing would come of it...because he's not very good at crossing, or intricate play, or working the ball into the box in any meaningful way.
Correct. He isnt. So when people want him to do those things instead of give it to the attacking player, it makes no sense. If he did them you'd still complain

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Correct. He isnt. So when people want him to do those things instead of give it to the attacking player, it makes no sense. If he did them you'd still complain
No people want somebody else who can do those things and lament the fact that we have a right back that can't.

Cassidy

Are you telling me anyone would prefer AWB crossing instead of Greenwood having the option to cross or come inside and shoot?
Im telling you Greenwood is the type of player who looks like he does that of his own accord, but Im not sure if its a tactic or not.

If it is its damning in itself because we shouldn't be so predictable. Both with wide player and the fullback should be attacking threats the opposition should have to think about and deal with.

Mickson

The same people who defended AWB are those who defended Ole. Just because some stat tells you something doesn't mean it's true. AWB is not good enough, nor will he ever be. He was below par tonight again. He is not good enough for Manchester United. Just watch the games.

Ekeke

Im telling you Greenwood is the type of player who looks like he does that of his own accord, but Im not sure if its a tactic or not.

If it is its damning in itself because we shouldn't be so predictable. Both with wide player and the fullback should be attacking threats the opposition should have to think about and deal with.
They do. AWB's run outside creates space because its the opposition's responsibility to be in a position to react if he is given the ball. They always have a player guarding that area and that gives Greenwood the time for his touch and to decide what to do.

People talk in this thread like teams dont have a player at leftback. They do. Most teams we play against even double up and have their wide player or winger come back to help too so its 2 on 2.

In the 2 clips Giflord posted of where AWB's key passes were in this match you see 2 examples of AWB being given the ball in attack and his position causing problems for the opposition. The first one the leftback comes out to him and AWB sneaks the ball into Greenwood's feet where he can then make space for a shot. The 2nd Greenwood plays the ball into AWB centrally and so the opposition player comes across to AWB to close him down, and AWB plays the ball back into Greenwood who then has time for a touch and shot.

Again, both times the opposition were trying to defend against AWB and it led to oppertunities for Greenwood to do something. Teams dont just ignore AWB, they defend against him because actually it would be dangerous to leave him with nobody at all trying to stop him and nobody does that against anyone in those areas in professional football

Last edited:

Cassidy

They do. AWB's run outside creates space because its the opposition's responsibility to be in a position to react if he is given the ball. They always have a player guarding that area and that gives Greenwood the time for his touch and to decide what to do.

People talk in this thread like teams dont have a player at leftback. They do. Most teams we play against even double up and have their wide player or winger come back to help too so its 2 on 2.
You missed my point there a bit. I meant they should be equally worried about both the fullback and winger as we have serious quality with recognised output from both positions.

This goes for the left side as well.

Ekeke

You missed my point there a bit. I meant they should be equally worried about both the fullback and winger as we have serious quality with recognised output from both positions.

This goes for the left side as well.
Isnt that exactly whats happening for his 2 key passes in Giflord's post?

You might think they dont need to worry about him, but the opposition clearly do

goptun

No people want somebody else who can do those things and lament the fact that we have a right back that can't.
It's a really simple point that people don't seem to get. Is it really that much to expect the Man Utd starting right back to be threatening and incisive on the ball?!

Cassidy

Isnt that exactly whats happening for his 2 key passes in Giflord's post?

You might think they dont need to worry about him, but the opposition clearly do
You’re missing the point again. Nowhere have I said he doesn't get out wide and put in crosses etc. He does, he isn't very good at it though but he does get the odd assist, and he doesn’t offer a goal threat or the ability to drive into the box with the ball. Usually he can knock it past the fullback to get a cross in. His general link up play with other attackers on his side isn’t great either.

So in that sense his attacking output is a lot less than it could be which means the opposition do have to worry about him less. That doesn't mean they don’t have to worry about him at all. I think this is obvious though.

Glorio

I actually thought he was really good for a lot of the game. He had two horrendous passes that were really bad, but at some stage before then, in a few instances where he'd been key in both retrieving possession and then beating the press, I was wondering if Ralf had started working on his ball playing ability.

Ekeke

You’re missing the point again. Nowhere have I said he doesn't get out wide and put in crosses etc. He does, he isn't very good at it though but he does get the odd assist, and he doesn’t offer a goal threat or the ability to drive into the box with the ball. Usually he can knock it past the fullback to get a cross in. His general link up play with other attackers on his side isn’t great either.

So in that sense his attacking output is a lot less than it could be which means the opposition do have to worry about him less. That doesn't mean they don’t have to worry about him at all. I think this is obvious though.
So they do have to worry about him, they do worry about him and in doing so his movements and passes lead to Greenwood getting the ball in more dangerous areas and in more space.

We could have a stronger attacking rightback, but then we'd also have a weaker defending rightback and our defence has been the main issue this season so that doesn't sound great at the moment

The best thing to happen would be for Greenwood to make more of his chances to use his space. To his credit thats exactly what happened for the first goal. AWB did well finding him, he tried to shoot and couldnt work it but he was able to drive forward to the byline and instead of crossing the ball like posters are saying AWB should, he plays a ball back to Ronaldo who takes a touch and McTominay reacts quickly to shoot early into the corner

But Greenwood does get a lot of the ball in those areas and hopefully he will make more of them as he develops

arthurka

He is just sloppy and has zero concentration. Not good at all.

Last edited:

UncleBob

So they do have to worry about him, they do worry about him and in doing so his movements and passes lead to Greenwood getting the ball in more dangerous areas and in more space.

We could have a stronger attacking rightback, but then we'd also have a weaker defending rightback and our defence has been the main issue this season so that doesn't sound great at the moment

The best thing to happen would be for Greenwood to make more of his chances to use his space. To his credit thats exactly what happened for the first goal. AWB did well finding him, he tried to shoot and couldnt work it but he was able to drive forward to the byline and instead of crossing the ball like posters are saying AWB should, he plays a ball back to Ronaldo who takes a touch and McTominay reacts quickly to shoot early into the corner

But Greenwood does get a lot of the ball in those areas and hopefully he will make more of them as he develops
AWB is shit at defending

Ekeke

It's a really simple point that people don't seem to get. Is it really that much to expect the Man Utd starting right back to be threatening and incisive on the ball?!
So you want us to sacrifice our defending for more attacking when we have conceded 26 goals in 18 matches? :lol:

Let me guess you want someone who defends as well as AWB but attacks much better.

Name 3 of those players who play right back

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
He’s still clearly lacking confidence but miles better tonight than his last showing. He’s a very odd footballer because he’s actually rather good on the ball at times - he can burst by people and drive forward well. He can jink his way out of trouble too. Yet at other times he looks like a Sunday league player. He did that in the space of 20 seconds tonight - put into trouble he stayed composed did a few jinks and dummies, got out of trouble and then hoofed it out of play with his left foot for a corner - having him and Bailly together on the same side must really be a fun watch for neutrals :lol:

UncleBob

I have no idea how anyone has reached the conclusion that AWB is good at defending. Yes, isolated in a one vs one he thrives, but his positioning and general awareness is poor and has cost us a shitload of times.

Status
Not open for further replies.