Aaron Wan Bissaka

Aloysius's Back 3

The thing that interests me most about him is his so called defensive ability.

Is it a pure coincidence that shaw himself is a so called defence first type fullback?

I wonder if we place them high up the pitch as wingbacks instead - allowing players like martial, Lukaku, Greenwood & Rashford to focus on the centre only.

That way all they have to do is drop back in to defence & do the job they are good at.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
England has a cracking squad coming through don’t they? Quality in each position.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
The fact that people think we can go a full season of 55-60 games with one RB is laughable, two quality players for every position.

Don't see what the problem is, if you think Dalot who is still a young inexperience kid with a shedload of potential can play 55-60 games without any help then you need to take the blinkers off.

Liverpool will be after a RB this summer to compete with TAA it's normal practice for a big club, always have two quality players in one position, especially at the back.

It's not rocket science
Not once did I say Dalot should play every single game. It's not rocket science to read basic English surely.

Its a waste to spend 40-50m on a young player to play at RB when we already have a young one who hopefully will eventually be a full time RB. We should sign a RB with more experience to share time - a cheaper option given the holes we have everywhere else.

I'd be baffled if Liverpool allocate a lot of funds at RB for a YOUNG player. Cover? By all means.

Devil may care

Not good enough technically or in attack, look at how important Liverpool's fullbacks are to their attack, same at City and other elite clubs like Bayern, Real, Juve and Barca, and people want us to stump up what will be close to £50M on a fullback who is useless when he crossess the halfway line.

Irrational.

I think he's exactly the type of player we should be going for. Will be relatively cheap (in comparison to other RB options) and with bounds of untapped potential. I'd also take a look at Doherty of Wolves who's having a tremendous season.

My first choice would be Meunier but he's probably unobtainable.

sam147

I think Ole knows what he wants. If he thinks Wan Bissaka is good enough then we should trust that. He is obviously fantastic at defending. However, people are saying he isnt great going forward. Its hard to say how good he is going forward because he is playing for Palace. I think he has the right attributes to develop his attacking side.

Devil may care

I think he's exactly the type of player we should be going for. Will be relatively cheap (in comparison to other RB options) and with bounds of untapped potential. I'd also take a look at Doherty of Wolves who's having a tremendous season.

Why do people think he'll be cheap? He's a young English player which adds a tax on top of the United tax, he'll be at least £40M, most likely closer to £50M.

acnumber9

The thing that interests me most about him is his so called defensive ability.

Is it a pure coincidence that shaw himself is a so called defence first type fullback?

I wonder if we place them high up the pitch as wingbacks instead - allowing players like martial, Lukaku, Greenwood & Rashford to focus on the centre only.

That way all they have to do is drop back in to defence & do the job they are good at.
So ask them to focus on what they don’t do best? Genius.

Irrational.

Why do people think he'll be cheap? He's a young English player which adds a tax on top of the United tax, he'll be at least £40M, most likely closer to £50M.
What other options do we have at RB, and how would they fare in comparison to the cost for AWB?

Genuine question.

Devil may care

What other options do we have at RB, and how would they fare in comparison to the cost for AWB?

Genuine question.
Meunier is in the last year of his contract at PSG, he wouldn't cost any more than that and has lots of experience and is good in attack, then there's Kenny Lala at Strasbourg and Doherty at Wolves, all of them are older so they will give Dalot a bridge to the long term role as RB, and all are miles better in attack than Wan-Bissaka. Sidibie might also be a worth a look, Monaco are sellers, he's 27 at the start of next season and has good experience at the top level.

ValenciaRocks

We just have to get this lad signed up. Perfect for the premier league and we need strength in depth for the full back position.

He is built for the premier league. Big strong and quick and the boy can tackle amazingly well. He looks switched on!

As for lack of attacking threat... he would be a perfect match for Sancho as the rw. Sancho can get up and do his business knowing he's got protection behind him.

buckooo1978

good call

people forget a player like Andy Robertson was an unfashionable fullback at Hull that no one was really considering

Hughie77

He's the right age, for improvement and if he comes to ot he will get better, young is probably a year by year contract, he can learn off him , Dalot is still young still learning, but under ole these get the games, I'd buy him and he's going to be lesser money than some.

Aloysius's Back 3

So ask them to focus on what they don’t do best? Genius.
No einstein.

By playing shaw & wan bissaka as wingbacks we give them an opportunity to play further up the pitch so they have an advantage that they don't have when sitting deeper.

Whether they sit back as fullbacks or wingbacks - they have to attack don't they? What playing them at wingbacks does is make them ready in more attacking positions rather than having to work themselves up the pitch all the time. Considering both are good defensively - they can track back or pull attackers inwards as well.

El Jefe

I think he's an excellent player. He's really going to surprise people when he gets a move to a big club and I'm really hoping its us.

Too much is made of his lack of attacking ability. He was actually a winger less than two years ago and can make runs from deep dribbling players, it's just his delivery and intricate play that needs improvement but he's just 21. Look how much Gary Neville improved in his crossing and overlapping play from when he broke through.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He's English? Didn't know that. Would love him at United.

jesperjaap

Not good enough technically or in attack, look at how important Liverpool's fullbacks are to their attack, same at City and other elite clubs like Bayern, Real, Juve and Barca, and people want us to stump up what will be close to £50M on a fullback who is useless when he crossess the halfway line.
Dont understand how you are seeing him as useless in attack at all? I think he has improved in that area this season especially with his crossing. It is all opinion though, but on that same argument, probably our best outfield player this season has been Shaw who isnt really more than decent technically and is good but not exceptional in attack, but he gets up and down and supports well and has improved defensively hugely this season. Again, its just opinion, I think he is a special player and would be a fantastic signing over the coming years

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I think he's an excellent player. He's really going to surprise people when he gets a move to a big club and I'm really hoping its us.

Too much is made of his lack of attacking ability. He was actually a winger less than two years ago and can make runs from deep dribbling players, it's just his delivery and intricate play that needs improvement but he's just 21. Look how much Gary Neville improved in his crossing and overlapping play from when he broke through.
It makes sense in that we are so short on options and both Dalot and Laird are primarily good attacking outlets at the moment. It would be a balanced signing if we talk about quality and supplement to our squad. Even though some experience would be valuable with an older player, the upside of having 4 young, promising fullbacks for 2 positions is maybe some of them will become world class in a few years. It will be more than enough games for everyone to develop.

United58

We need an alternative to Dalot who can defend and hold the width. If he is young he can be coached to cross better. Same way Dalot will get better defensively thru coaching. Wan Bissaka ticks all them boxes.
When was the last time we had a decent crosser of the ball? Ryan Giggs? Lukaku's a decent crosser, but he's a striker. All of our wide players and full backs are terrible at crossing

acnumber9

No einstein.

By playing shaw & wan bissaka as wingbacks we give them an opportunity to play further up the pitch so they have an advantage that they don't have when sitting deeper.

Whether they sit back as fullbacks or wingbacks - they have to attack don't they? What playing them at wingbacks does is make them ready in more attacking positions rather than having to work themselves up the pitch all the time. Considering both are good defensively - they can track back or pull attackers inwards as well.
What use is being further up the pitch if they’re shite at it? You’d get more from an attacking perspective from Chris Smalling if you’d play him up front but it would be fecking stupid, Einstein.

peridigm

Don't see the point in getting another young RB, unless we have already given up on Dalot. Also, he is not an attacking FB. Having two more defensive FB's on either side won't be ideal.
Young is only going to be here for another year. Darmian has probably been told he should find another club. Valencia is gone too. No idea if Wan Bissaka is the right fit but we definitely need a starter RB.

Jericholyte2

Don't see the point in getting another young RB, unless we have already given up on Dalot. Also, he is not an attacking FB. Having two more defensive FB's on either side won't be ideal.
Similar to how we played portions of PSG, could see AWB as RB with Dalot ahead of him on the wing.

Devil may care

Dont understand how you are seeing him as useless in attack at all? I think he has improved in that area this season especially with his crossing. It is all opinion though, but on that same argument, probably our best outfield player this season has been Shaw who isnt really more than decent technically and is good but not exceptional in attack, but he gets up and down and supports well and has improved defensively hugely this season. Again, its just opinion, I think he is a special player and would be a fantastic signing over the coming years
I am seeing him as useless in attack because his crossing, passing and decision making in the final 3rd are awful, Shaw is a much better player technically, a much better passer and is starting to refind the attacking game he showed at Southampton, but people have been saying for months we need more attacking threat from fullback, Ole has said it about Shaw, saying he has more gears to go through in attack, it's important. I don't see any point in buying another fullback who isn't good in the final 3rd when we already have one the same age who is good in attack and we can develop. We need an experienced RB to come in for 2 or 3 seasons to hold that side down while Dalot is blooded in, not another young RB who is inferior on the ball in every way,

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I am seeing him as useless in attack because his crossing, passing and decision making in the final 3rd are awful, Shaw is a much better player technically, a much better passer and is starting to refind the attacking game he showed at Southampton, but people have been saying for months we need more attacking threat from fullback, Ole has said it about Shaw, saying he has more gears to go through in attack, it's important. I don't see any point in buying another fullback who isn't good in the final 3rd when we already have one the same age who is good in attack and we can develop. We need an experienced RB to come in for 2 or 3 seasons to hold that side down while Dalot is blooded in, not another young RB who is inferior on the ball in every way,
What if we buy Bissaka and use him for tougher games where we'd want to defend and use Dalot when we need more offensively? I mean, if he is as good defensively as people say he might be a better player than what we'd get from potentially buying an ageing fullback. Are there any out there anyways? I can't see Chelsea getting rid of Azpilicueta but If we could get him I agree it would be good. If not, then Bissaka might have more quality then the alternatives despite the young age. Not to mention he can develop his attacking areas as well due to his age.

passing-wind

Easy formula to measure if we should sign:

AWB > Young / Dalot at RB

End of discussion. One of the top 3 fullbacks in the league

Devil may care

What if we buy Bissaka and use him for tougher games where we'd want to defend and use Dalot when we need more offensively? I mean, if he is as good defensively as people say he might be a better player than what we'd get from potentially buying an ageing fullback. Are there any out there anyways? I can't see Chelsea getting rid of Azpilicueta but If we could get him I agree it would be good. If not, then Bissaka might have more quality then the alternatives despite the young age. Not to mention he can develop his attacking areas as well due to his age.
Top sides are not built like that though, this is not the NFL with special teams and all that, there's no reason Dalot can't become the total fullback, he's technically excellent, can pass and cross, and is ok defensively, he just needs more time to progress, I mean I don't see us going and buying Alex Telles for when we need a more attacking LB to rotate with Shaw, we are demanding Shaw improve in attack as he's got it in his locker, and in the last few games Shaw has added more in attack, Wan-Bissaka doesn't have the stuff in his locker to tap into, he was converted to fullback for a reason, most likely because his tackling and engine are good but he's crap in the final 3rd. We can coach Dalot up defensively a lot easier than coaching a technically average player with no offensive instincts into a better attacker IMO, we just need to get a RB in that can buy him some time, there are several RB's in their late 20's we could get in.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
We do not need 'experience' as cover for Shaw nor Dalot. We need straight up competition. Preferably their age mates or younger. Players who can be coached to be better than they currently are.