Abortion

Sara125

So many unnecessary deaths to come, really depressing news.
Yep. ‘Pro-life’ until it comes to the lives of women who will inevitably develop sepsis or some other deadly infection from their botched abortions

nimic

something nice
Scout
Partly why I also have a gripe with the democrats in this, they’ve had majorities in recent times to be able to legislate this and not rely on the court. But they didn’t. And this is the resultant mess.
Oh it's absolutely the Democrats' fault as well. They could have done what nearly every other Western country (and most of the rest of the world, to one degree or another) did, pass abortion legislation. But they made excuses, and they didn't, and now... yeah.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
There would have been a massive return on investment from late-term aborting 3 judges a month or so ago. Too late now.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
And whilst the rest of the world looks at this debacle and sees a country going backwards, and at pace, they are probably sitting their smug thinking they’re leading the world in the right direction.
100% they are. They will, at the same time, insist this is a ruling based on science (because a fertilized egg is a "human life") and continue to push extreme right-wing views based on a certain version of Christianity.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Yep. ‘Pro-life’ until it comes to the lives of women who will inevitably develop sepsis or some other deadly infection from their botched abortions
pro-life is one of the most infuriating terms in politics. when someone tells me they're pro-life I just feel like punching them

MTF

100% they are. They will, at the same time, insist this is a ruling based on science (because a fertilized egg is a "human life") and continue to push extreme right-wing views based on a certain version of Christianity.
Yeah. And that argument of their bothers me so much because in a legal sense it is so clear that birth is treated as the moment that human life begins. It is when the state registers the existence of the person. Before that there are no requirements to register pregnancies in any way that would indicate a legal desire to treat unborn babies as people.

Last edited:

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Oh it's absolutely the Democrats' fault as well. They could have done what nearly every other Western country (and most of the rest of the world, to one degree or another) did, pass abortion legislation. But they made excuses, and they didn't, and now... yeah.
I remember some articles around 08-09 arguing that Democrats needed to use their super majority to pass federal legislation to legalize abortion but it never seemed to go further than a few articles. This is proving yet another instance of Obama and the super majority not doing near enough

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
As someone that took legal studies 101 at a US university, I'm absolutely flabbergasted by this. This is a naked partisan decision, from a body that for decades refused to even look at politically-sensitve cases as to ensure they remained above party politics. Further, this is a by definition example of settled law, there's no reason to revisit it except politics. It's not like births, women or anything else has changed.

I genuinely don't understand how these GOP operatives can even claim they're surpreme court justices.

Two further thoughts:
1. Anyone - particularly any woman - who balked at voting for Hillary, good work.
2. Love RBG but some of this is on her ego.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I remember some articles around 08-09 arguing that Democrats needed to use their super majority to pass federal legislation to legalize abortion but it never seemed to go further than a few articles. This is proving yet another instance of Obama and the super majority not doing near enough
One of the sticking points revolved around the Hyde Amendment & the fact that there were a couple of pro-life senators. But not nearly enough political capital & energy was expended.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
And it's so weird that this is an issue that affects everyone, these idiots celebrating the decision will see family members, friends and people in their community suffer because of this. Surely they must care about them, even if they hate "the libs".

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
And it's so weird that this is an issue that affects everyone, these idiots celebrating the decision will see family members, friends and people in their community suffer because of this. Surely they must care about them, even if they hate "the libs".
You are giving often times irredeemable people too much credit. The draw of the cult is sometimes greater than the draw of family.

MTF

Sometimes it seems to me that either the cruelty, or the one-upmanship, or both are the entire point. Who benefits?

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
Crazy country I'm glad I don't live there, what a mess.

Toblerone92

Can anyone of the pro-lifers in this thread tell me their views on abortion in the case of an ectopic pregnancy? Or anencephaly? Would you say the right thing to do would be to force the mother to carry the baby to full term despite the greatly increased risk to her life?

Sara125

I’m sure this Thomas guy didn’t just wake up today and decide that laws protecting same-sex marriage etc. should be overturned. It’s just that he can now say it with his chest because Roe has set a precedent. Just like how all the neo-nazis and racists showed their asses out loud once trump became president.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Sometimes it seems to me that either the cruelty, or the one-upmanship, or both are the entire point. Who benefits?
Capitalists.

Every human born are either consumers or cheap labour.

Capitalism relies in constant growth, and with people aborting at will, it makes it harder.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I’m sure this Thomas guy didn’t just wake up today and decide that laws protecting same-sex marriage etc. should be overturned. It’s just that he can now say it with his chest because Roe has set a precedent. Just like how all the neo-nazis and racists showed their asses out loud once trump became president.
They will cherry pick precedents to their benefit.

The Court is simply a Federalist Society arm of the government.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Yeah. And that argument of their bothers me so much because in a legal sense it is so clear that birth is treated as the moment that human life begins. It is when the state registers the existence of the person. Before that there are no requirements to register pregnancies in any way that would indicate a legal desire to treat unborn children as people.
Exactly. Of course, Thomas won't take that into account when they try to push for a national ban next.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Capitalists.

Every human born are either consumers or cheap labour.

Capitalism relies in constant growth, and with people aborting at will, it makes it harder.
True. I've heard some conservatives recently argue this is necessary to keep birth rates up. :rolleyes:

Fingeredmouse

Yeah. And that argument of their bothers me so much because in a legal sense it is so clear that birth is treated as the moment that human life begins. It is when the state registers the existence of the person. Before that there are no requirements to register pregnancies in any way that would indicate a legal desire to treat unborn children as people.
I bet any money that registering pregnancies is less than a decade away.

Relfy

The news, albeit expected, is still utterly disgusting. What a world we live in whereby peoples rights are not being eroded. The land of the free.....