Abortion

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Lots of things are very human without being human life that bears subjective rights, no?
No, only a human. :)

However it is going be very difficult to scientifically determine what is a person.

Edit. Or when.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Some states have laws that require someone considering abortion, to view ultrasound of the fetus, or listen to it's heartbeat, before the procedure is done, in the hope that the additional information is enough to steer the woman towards keeping the child. Wondering what thoughts of the Caf are on this.

Carolina Red

Staff
Some states have laws that require someone considering abortion, to view ultrasound of the fetus, or listen to it's heartbeat, before the procedure is done, in the hope that the additional information is enough to steer the woman towards keeping the child. Wondering what thoughts of the Caf are on this.
It’s ridiculous and is an attempt to traumatize the woman.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Hard to comment on things which happen in the States when you are not aware of what the whole procedure is and tbh a whole lot of things that happen in the US is at the very least confusing.

adexkola

Supports
Hard to comment on things which happen in the States when you are not aware of what the whole procedure is and tbh a whole lot of things that happen in the US is at the very least confusing.
Should have provided more context. While abortion has been legalized by the Supreme Court (for now) which covers the entire country, some states have been more militant than others at practically outlawing abortion by putting so many restrictions around the practice that a large amount of women can't undergo the procedure without going through a lot of hoops.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I always thought "life" was not really the accurate term for this debate. After all its not really "life" that is being debated here but "human life" or more apt "human consciousness". I mean an ant is "life" but not even PETA concerns itself with people stepping on ants. Basically I think the two systems mentioned in this thread that offer meaningful discussion could be termed "viable human life" (people arguing abortion should be allowed up until the point that life could exist outside the mother's womb) or "human consciousness" (which is based around human brain and functioning nervous).

Either way we have to get past the confusing and misplaced debate about "life" because that's not really what abortion debate is about.

So from a philosophical perspective, I don't think "life" is really the best term to be debated here and hence why I think Carolina's angle is more appropriate to be talking about brain functionality because consciousness can't exist without a functioning brain and nervous system (the entire nervous system is important to human consciousness not just the brain btw (see Damasio,et al).

Trying to reduce everything to debate about "life" (like arguing that technically doctors don't call someone dead until heart, etc) really just obfuscates and confuses the issue rather than advancing the discussion into meaningful territory.
Good point, well made.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
A shitty thing to do IMO.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Should have provided more context. While abortion has been legalized by the Supreme Court (for now) which covers the entire country, some states have been more militant than others at practically outlawing abortion by putting so many restrictions around the practice that a large amount of women can't undergo the procedure without going through a lot of hoops.
It's difficult to guess at the motives or political direction this comes from, you have to hope that counselling is involved before this takes place.

You have to wonder if it is an attempt to put these women off enduring the procedure again or future women.

I have no idea on numbers and statistics.

adexkola

Supports
It's difficult to guess at the motives or political direction this comes from, you have to hope that counselling is involved before this takes place.

You have to wonder if it is an attempt to put these women off enduring the procedure again or future women.

I have no idea on numbers and statistics.
It most certainly is.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Sorry, I might have misunderstood you but to me personally the beginning of human life and life are pretty much synonymous in this context.

Many things, I guess. As the child is growing inside the mothers' womb, it's starting to develop its own subjective rights once it has achieved human dignity himself. At that point, the different positions have to be taken into account to find a just balance between the two individuals.
The bold confuses me a bit because you then talk about dignity. I would think dignity is a quality that emerges after a certain level of cognitive development no? its a fairly human quality I think too, as in a cockroach cannot be dignified.

To speak to that from personal experience, I remember my father saying very strongly that he did not want to be kept alive "as a vegetable". He absolutely did not want his body to live the 'undignified' existence of being kept alive by machines while his mind was not conscious. I know there is some grey here with people in different types of comas but I leave that to medical professionals.

To expand, another reason I prefer looking at consciousness or some equivalent of brain/nervous system is because it provides a consistent framework that we can also apply to things like animal cruelty and in the future (maybe near or maybe far) answering questions about when/if artificial intelligences should begin to be granted equivalent rights to humans.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It's disgusting.

Oldyella

Sounds like emotional blackmail on what can already be an incredibly difficult decision to make.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Here in Ireland, one of the pro-life groups has taken to standing outside maternity hospitals with huge posters of foetuses. These are places where, among other things, women suffering miscarriages go.

These people couldn't care less about women.

Blackwidow

It would be interesting to see the rules there are in various country.

In Germany abortion is illegal and could be punished with prison up to 3 years.
Exeption are the first 12 weeks in which it can be made by a doctor after a consultation with special agencies and a three-day-waiting period (the decision is that of the woman) or when the life or health of the women are in danger until birth.

I can live with that even if I think that the 12 week-period is very short.

---------------------

I do not think that you can see the topic of abortion without the social component and without looking at the societies we live in. Being a single mother is the biggest risk for poverty - and that influences the chances for the kid later on, too.

If you want too have less abortions you have to improve the situations for single mothers and families (+sex education and birth control).

Smores

I'm not sure that argument holds, at least not from a pro-life point of view?

If I was about to murder an infant and you objected to it, the responsibility wouldn't then be on you to ensure the infant has a healthy or happy life, nor would not doing so make you a hypocrite. To you the desire to stop the infant being killed would likely be a fundamental moral issue that doesn't require further thought, nor justification in terms of what you do to help starving children elsewhere.

From a pro-life point of view (which I disagree with) abortion comes down to the same fundamental question as that hypothetical. Is murdering a child morally acceptable? As such I don't really know what people expect them to say when asked "well, what will you do to take care of the child after it's born?" or "well, what do you do to help starving children elsewhere?" Those questions come from a moral and ethical position so far from where they're at that it wouldn't even make sense to them.
That's a very specific scenario and my example intentionally wasn't the life of a non-aborted child. It's ridiculous to suggest anti-abortionists are therefore responsible for their life via their morals.

My point was more that these people only care about the importance of life when they have no responsibility to it. When thats the case the moral argument is nonsense unless you're female and in a position to make that choice.

Preventing a "childs" death through legislation or charitable action is still preventing a child's death, if you care so much about one but not then other then the variable is personal impact and that says a lot.

Green_Red

So the foetus in a car crash thing... it varies between countries and in the US it varies between states. A lot of states will have something saying "the unlawful killing of a human being or foetus..." California for example defines murder as such with malice aforethought , I believe.

Where such specifity was not made, courts often had to try and interpret whether, when a criminal statute was made in the 1800s for example, did the legislature intend human being to include the unborn (one case of a guy beating up his ex wife when he found she got pregnant with her new boyfriend, intentionally forcing a termination, was held not to be murder as the foetus wasn't intended to be included under human in the statute. This is a while ago now and I forget the state).

So the law depending on the state might charge the driver with multiple homicides. But the criminal codes still distinguish human and foetus quite often.
Im not saying what youve said isnt true. Of course different jurisdictions will have different laws that much is obvious. But in order to convict someone of murder there a several legal documents that need to be presented as evidence, a death certifiicate and a coronors report stating the cause of death are two examples, how else would you prove the charge?. It is impossible to have a death certificate without a birth certificate. Any good lawyer would easily find precedence to beat a charge like that.

Charlie Foley

Im not saying what youve said isnt true. Of course different jurisdictions will have different laws that much is obvious. But in order to convict someone of murder there a several legal documents that need to be presented as evidence, a death certifiicate and a coronors report stating the cause of death are two examples, how else would you prove the charge?. It is impossible to have a death certificate without a birth certificate. Any good lawyer would easily find precedence to beat a charge like that.
Yeah, I should have said homicide (as i did for the rest of the post I hope) for california, not murder.

Green_Red

Yeah, I should have said homicide (as i did for the rest of the post I hope) for california, not murder.
Im a little confused, abortion is legal in California. Are you saying medical professionals that perform abortions can be prosecuted for homicide? Or just the car crash example?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I know this has little to do with abortion, but the rhetoric about euthanasia is largely the same from a conservative Christian stand point. It's trying to paint pro choice or pro Euthanasia people as evil baby (elderly) killers.

I found this absolute gem from Rick Santorum about my country that paints a great picture of what I mean: “In the Netherlands, people wear different bracelets if they are elderly. And the bracelet is: ‘Do not euthanize me.’ Because they have voluntary euthanasia in the Netherlands but half of the people who are euthanized — ten percent of all deaths in the Netherlands — half of those people are enthanized involuntarily at hospitals because they are older and sick. And so elderly people in the Netherlands don’t go to the hospital. They go to another country, because they are afraid, because of budget purposes, they will not come out of that hospital if they go in there with sickness.”

For anyone still on the fence, this is obviously not true.

Personally I can see merit in both sides of the argument of abortion. On one side, if you strongly believe a fetus is a full human being and should be treated like one, you are obviously very strongly opposed to abortion, since for you, it's basically murdering in human being. On the other side, if you strongly believe a fetus in that stadium isn't much more than a unsentient (that's not a word, sorry) cluster of cells, you are obviously very strongly in favor of letting the woman make a choice.

Personally I think we should let science decide, but neither side should be calling the other side murderours are anti women's rights imho. This is a classic case of both sides of the argument truly believing they're the nobel side.

Charlie Foley

Im a little confused, abortion is legal in California. Are you saying medical professionals that perform abortions can be prosecuted for homicide? Or just the car crash example?
No because the crime of homicide involves an unlawful killing. Abortion is legal as you said.

The law is there really to protect women from third parties . So the car crash example with a reckless driver. Or a man beating his pregnant wife, if that's not too grim an example.

Sorry, I realise I may have been really unclear in a few things I said.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
After over 20 hours in session, the Argentinian deputys approved free abortion*. Now is up to the senators to approve.

This would be great even for the Chileans. Only posh girls can pay trips to USA to abort, so a trip to Argentina will make it so much affordable for general population.

* Free of charge, and no questions asked, as long as the fetus is no more than 14 weeks old.

Last edited:

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
What is funny is that political parties that are "pro-life" and they vote against abortion, they forbid people from LGTB, to adopt even if the kid would have much better life (and might lead to less abortions as there is more demand), they prefer that people dies in the mediterranean sea before they can come to their country, not caring if some poeple are different from other religion and a large etc of not caring of other people. But hey, a bunch of cells without conscience must be saved. Even if it might ruin the life of a woman and the future kid

Carolina Red

Staff
What is funny is that political parties that are "pro-life" and they vote against abortion, they forbid people from LGTB, to adopt even if the kid would have much better life (and might lead to less abortions as there is more demand), they prefer that people dies in the mediterranean sea before they can come to their country, not caring if some poeple are different from other religion and a large etc of not caring of other people. But hey, a bunch of cells without conscience must be saved. Even if it might ruin the life of a woman and the future kid
Yep. “Pro-life” is one heck of a misnomer.

They’re pro-birth, not pro-life.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I know this has little to do with abortion, but the rhetoric about euthanasia is largely the same from a conservative Christian stand point. It's trying to paint pro choice or pro Euthanasia people as evil baby (elderly) killers.

I found this absolute gem from Rick Santorum about my country that paints a great picture of what I mean: “In the Netherlands, people wear different bracelets if they are elderly. And the bracelet is: ‘Do not euthanize me.’ Because they have voluntary euthanasia in the Netherlands but half of the people who are euthanized — ten percent of all deaths in the Netherlands — half of those people are enthanized involuntarily at hospitals because they are older and sick. And so elderly people in the Netherlands don’t go to the hospital. They go to another country, because they are afraid, because of budget purposes, they will not come out of that hospital if they go in there with sickness.”

For anyone still on the fence, this is obviously not true.

Personally I can see merit in both sides of the argument of abortion. On one side, if you strongly believe a fetus is a full human being and should be treated like one, you are obviously very strongly opposed to abortion, since for you, it's basically murdering in human being. On the other side, if you strongly believe a fetus in that stadium isn't much more than a unsentient (that's not a word, sorry) cluster of cells, you are obviously very strongly in favor of letting the woman make a choice.

Personally I think we should let science decide, but neither side should be calling the other side murderours are anti women's rights imho. This is a classic case of both sides of the argument truly believing they're the nobel side.
It isn't about nobility. It is about allowing women to decide what they do with their own bodies in a secular society.

If religious people don't want abortions then don't have one. Don't push your religion on others and demand that your religion decides what others are allowed to do.

Ironically many of the Christians who are strongly anti-abortion and believe religious based law is a good thing are also the first to go red faced in angry opposition as soon as the Daily Mail pretends that someone is trying to get Sharia Law made official in Kent.

Nikhil

Woman 'humiliated' by Walgreens over drugs to end pregnancy

An Arizona woman has said she was left "in tears and humiliated" after a staff member at US pharmacy chain Walgreens refused to give her prescription medication to end her pregnancy - even though her doctor had said she would ultimately have a miscarriage.

Nicole Mone had discovered at a doctor's appointment on Tuesday that her baby was not developing normally.

Knowing her two-month pregnancy would not run to term, she was given a choice to end it through a surgical procedure or prescription medication, and chose the latter.

When she went to a Walgreens in the city of Peoria to get her prescription, she says a pharmacist refused to serve her on moral grounds - a stance which is within the company's rules.

She told the BBC the staff member was "very short, not compassionate at all".

Ms Mone, 35, shared a picture of a business card identifying the pharmacist on social media.

The BBC contacted the store to seek a response from him, but was told he was not available.

"I stood at the mercy of this pharmacist explaining my situation in front of my 7-year-old and five customers standing behind, only to be denied because of his ethical beliefs," Ms Mone wrote on Facebook and Instagram.

"I get it, we all have our beliefs. But what he failed to understand is, this isn't the situation I had hoped for - this isn't something I wanted. This is something I have zero control over. He has no idea what it's like to want nothing more than to carry a child to full term and be unable to do so."

Ms Mone wrote that she had suffered a previous miscarriage.

She said her young son was left "trying to figure out what's going on, watching me get upset and trying to figure out why".

"I left Walgreens in tears, ashamed and feeling humiliated by a man who knows nothing of my struggles but feels it is his right to deny medication prescribed to me by my doctor," she wrote.

Ms Mone said she was sharing her story as she didn't want other women to endure similar experiences when they were "vulnerable and already suffering".

In a statement to the BBC, Walgreens said it was looking into the matter, and had "reached out to the patient and apologised for how the situation was handled".

It said company policy allowed its pharmacists to "step away from filling a prescription for which they have a moral objection".

In that situation, staff are required to refer the prescription to another pharmacist or manager "to meet the patient's needs in a timely manner".

Ms Mone said that did not reflect her experience, however, as the pharmacist "could have just passed me on to the lady that was standing next to him" - which she says did not happen.

Instead, the prescription was transferred to another Walgreens store. Ms Mone picked it up there after seeking her doctor's help to ensure the second pharmacy would give it to her.

She said that Walgreens had not reached out to her to apologise, but that a store manager said she was sorry when Ms Mone telephoned to flag up the incident a day later.

In an update to her original Facebook post, which had drawn 33,000 reactions at time of writing, Ms Mone said she had contacted Walgreens corporate office, and filed a complaint with the state Board of Pharmacy.

"Thank you to those who have shown love and support," she added.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44591528

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I know a doctor who would refuse to perform an abortion procedure. Not uncommon.
In the UK, there is no obligation to actually perform the procedure or prescribe the meds (I believe unless it is for life saving circumstances) but you have an obligation to refer onto a colleague who is willing to do it. Refusal to do that would likely be met with being struck off the medical register.

The above story is horrific.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Threads with hypothetical decisions are a bit pointless. It's like that thing about pressing a button and you get rich and some random person dies. I doubt people give honest answers when they are not facing the consequences of their choices.

I have no doubt that most anti-abortion types would commit abortion themselves if convenient, let alone in an extreme situation like the one described in reddit.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Threads with hypothetical decisions are a bit pointless. It's like that thing about pressing a button and you get rich and some random person dies. I doubt people give honest answers when they are not facing the consequences of their choices.

I have no doubt that most anti-abortion types would commit abortion themselves if convenient, let alone in an extreme situation like the one described in reddit.
You think? Holy feck, I'm actually still baffled by the things I've read on that thread. It's a whole other way of thinking.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
You think? Holy feck, I'm actually still baffled by the things I've read on that thread. It's a whole other way of thinking.
Thing is I don't think they ordinarily think on those terms, they're being pushed into it by an extreme but hypothetical scenario. So they only have two options, which is either admitting their conviction - "abortion is murder, murder is wrong" - is not absolute (and lose the "debate"), or to stand by it, which in the aforementioned scenario makes them seem baffling.

In reality, I think most people are pragmatic when they have to put their money where their mouth is, hence my conviction. It's very easy to look magnanimous (and in their minds those people are looking noble by sticking to their principles) when there isn't really any choice to be made. If it were their kids most of them would sing a different tune.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
https://hummusforthought.com/2018/12/23/from-isis-to-the-abortion-wars-america-we-need-to-talk/

I struggled for a while to think about where exactly this article should go. Realistically, it covers such a broad range of topics. It could have gone in here, in the ISIS thread, American politics thread.

But I think it is an interesting and captivating, albeit slightly long, read, which I would highly recommend. It contains personal experiences, first hand both by herself and her family and the extreme lengths some anti abortion activists have gone to in the USA and how many people have been complicit in their actions and where we find ourselves now.

An interesting read for sure.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I know a doctor who would refuse to perform an abortion procedure. Not uncommon.
Many doctors won't do it. I worked in a obs and gynae unit where only one out of six or seven consultants would do surgical abortions where the mother and fetus were healthy. I remember the senior guy telling me that he was in the specialty to save lives, not end them.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Many doctors won't do it. I worked in a obs and gynae unit where only one out of six or seven consultants would do surgical abortions where the mother and fetus were healthy. I remember the senior guy telling me that he was in the specialty to save lives, not end them.
I wouldn’t want to do it either. From what I understand, a surgical abortion dismembers the baby. Ripping a baby out piece by piece must be a horrific undertaking.