Abortion

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Poor lady, all she wanted to do was pray for those specific babies, and since the first thing I learned in Catholic school is that prayers are like dodgy Wi-Fi, the only option was to be right there.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Only a matter of time before a total abortion ban started making its way through committee in an uber-red state legislature...

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This is the Dems fault for being nonchalant about abortion for decades and always presuming they could rely on Roe v Wade instead of actually making a federal law to protect abortion.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This is the Dems fault for being nonchalant about abortion for decades and always presuming they could rely on Roe v Wade instead of actually making a federal law to protect abortion.
Partially. I wonder if there was ever enough Senate support for such. I vaguely remember reading an article that discussed such.

e - this may have been the article (maybe not, can't read it all right now but it looks familiar)...

https://19thnews.org/2022/01/congress-codify-abortion-roe/

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Good thing abortion access won’t be a 2024 political issue…

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
So it's not the fault of the party actually passing the laws and fecking people over?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So it's not the fault of the party actually passing the laws and fecking people over?
We’ve already known the Republicans have been working at repealing Roe v Wade for the past 50 years. It was therefore the Dems’ responsibility to protect it by making a federal law that scouts couldn’t easily overturn. The Dems have had many chances to do this and were complacent, which has now finally led to the inevitable conclusion of women being in danger of facing jail time for having an abortion.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
We’ve already known the Republicans have been working at repealing Roe v Wade for the past 50 years. It was therefore the Dems’ responsibility to protect it be making a federal law that scouts couldn’t easily overturn. The Dems have had many chances to do this and were complacent, which has now finally led to the inevitable conclusion of women being in danger of facing jail time for having an abortion.
Gotta cynically wonder if it was planned to not intercede & codify Roe. It gives us quite the political cudgel in perpetuity.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
We’ve already known the Republicans have been working at repealing Roe v Wade for the past 50 years. It was therefore the Dems’ responsibility to protect it by making a federal law that scouts couldn’t easily overturn. The Dems have had many chances to do this and were complacent, which has now finally led to the inevitable conclusion of women being in danger of facing jail time for having an abortion.
I don't disagree, I will just say that getting it passed through the Senate would have been impossible without changing the filibuster, something the Dems are cowardly refusing to do.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
That's true, but it was just a strange sentence to read, assigning fault to the passive side and not the active one.

Jericholyte2

That's true, but it was just a strange sentence to read, assigning fault to the passive side and not the active one.
Well it is true to be fair.

Any right that can be taken away through legislation needs to be constantly fought for, and one side took that victory for granted, as if it suddenly became inalienable. After Roe originally passed an awful lot just simply assumed that was the end of the matter and did nothing when Republicans & lobby groups started up attacking it, continued to attack it and then overturned it.

At each point they could have hit back, but we’re arrogant and naive in thinking ‘nah that’ll never happen’.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Idaho is where a lot of the hardcore Trumpers I used to know of in California moved to. I also know of a lot of radical right in Coeur d’Alene and the surrounding towns and counties. That state is one to never stay in.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Idaho is where a lot of the hardcore Trumpers I used to know of in California moved to. I also know of a lot of radical right in Coeur d’Alene and the surrounding towns and counties. That state is one to never stay in.
Yeah. Weird place full of weird people, hence my post in the "Weirdest Person You've Ever Met" thread:

The entire state of Idaho