Abortion

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Woman who took abortion pills after UK legal time limit jailed
Woman had pleaded guilty to taking the drugs too late after procuring them under ‘pills by post’ scheme in pandemic

A woman has been sentenced to 28 months in prison after pleading guilty to procuring drugs to induce an abortion after the legal limit.

The mother of three, 44, received the medication under the “pills by post” scheme, which was introduced during the Covid pandemic.

She will serve half of her sentence in custody and the remaining under licence.

The scheme allowed medication to induce an abortion to be supplied after a remote consultation for pregnancies up to 10 weeks.

The court heard previously that the woman terminated her pregnancy past that point, and at a previous hearing had pleaded guilty to taking abortion pills after the legal time limit. During the hearing, the court heard the woman was not aware of how advanced the pregnancy was as she was unable to attend a scan during lockdown.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-taking-abortion-pills-after-legal-time-limit

The UK, ladies and gentlemen.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
This is misleading, @Frosty. She was at least 32 weeks pregnant and she already had 3 children. She also knew how far along she was.

Prosecutors argued the woman, who the BBC is not naming, had provided false information knowing she was over the time limit and had made online searches which they said indicated "careful planning".

The court heard between February and May 2020 she had searched "how to hide a pregnancy bump", "how to have an abortion without going to the doctor" and "how to lose a baby at six months".

The court heard she had moved back in with her estranged husband at the start of lockdown while carrying another man's baby.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-65882169

This was a fully-viable, fully-formed baby. I've looked after a lot of babies of the same gestation.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
The sentence should have been longer. At 32 weeks, you're at term or near enough. It's a fully fledged baby you're carrying. That poor baby being aborted at that point of time is depressing.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
The sentence should have been longer. At 32 weeks, you're at term or near enough. It's a fully fledged baby you're carrying. That poor baby being aborted at that point of time is depressing.
Yes, and it's very wrong that this is being used to suggest that the UK has draconian laws regarding abortion. It doesn't. The judge said the woman would have been given a suspended sentence had she pleaded guilty earlier.

I'm sure she feels terrible about it now, but she had the option of giving up the baby for adoption as soon as it was born, had she just waited a few more weeks. Evidently she was trying to reconcile with her estranged partner, and this baby wasn't his child so she had concealed the pregnancy.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Yes, and it's very wrong that this is being used to suggest that the UK has draconian laws regarding abortion. It doesn't. The judge said the woman would have been given a suspended sentence had she pleaded guilty earlier.

I'm sure she feels terrible about it now, but she had the option of giving up the baby for adoption as soon as it was born, had she just waited a few more weeks. Evidently she was trying to reconcile with her estranged partner, and this baby wasn't his child so she had concealed the pregnancy.
I'd almost be ok with a murder charge based on those details. This fetus was an obstacle for her romantic plans and she eliminated it. Despicable behaviour.

ScholesyTheWise

Feck me. As someone who was born on week 27, that's just brutal.

It's sooooo hard to judge or try not to,
seeing as we have absolutely no idea what she was going through mentally with herself,
but Christ... this is actually killing the most innocent and helpless creature you can imagine.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
A cortex may be required to feel pain but there is no evidence that a fetus actually feels any pain before birth.

Wikipedia said:
Several lines of evidence suggest that a fetus does not awaken during its time in the womb. Much of the literature on fetal pain simply extrapolates from findings and research on premature babies. The presence of such chemicals as adenosine, pregnanolone, and prostaglandin-D2 in both human and animal fetuses, indicate that the fetus is both sedated and anesthetized when in the womb. These chemicals are oxidized with the newborn's first few breaths and washed out of the tissues, increasing consciousness.[13] If the fetus is asleep throughout gestation then the possibility of fetal pain is greatly minimized,[14][15]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prenatal_perception

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I guess it comes down to an argument about,

1) personhood - when does a foetus become a person which is often related to viability and sensory abilities including pain
2) bodily rights - no matter the personhood or otherwise of the fetus it is argued that a woman has the right to control her own body including providing life support to a fetus at any stage.

In practice most countries choose an often fairly arbitrary point in gestational weeks where it is assume that a fotus has become a person with rights and those rights are now at least equal to the rights of the woman to control her body and abortion is prohibited.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Tone deaf stupidity like this could unbelievably put Ohio & Iowa into the ‘toss up’ bracket in 2024…

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
A bit tangential, but no doubt it will be targeted by the cast of pol characters in backwards state…