84Circuit JudgeDon WillettAustin, TX19662018–presentTrump
85Circuit JudgeJames C. HoDallas, TX19732018–presentTrump
86Circuit JudgeKyle DuncanBaton Rouge, LA19722018–presentTrump
87Circuit JudgeKurt D. EngelhardtNew Orleans, LA19602018–presentTrump
88Circuit JudgeAndrew OldhamAustin, TX19782018–presentTrump
89Circuit JudgeCory T. WilsonJackson, MS19702020–presentTrump
90Circuit JudgeDana DouglasNew Orleans, LA19752022–presentBiden
91Circuit JudgeIrma Carrillo RamirezDallas, TX19642023–presentBiden
51Senior Circuit JudgeCarolyn Dineen KingHouston, TX19381979–20131999–20062013–presentCarter
59Senior Circuit JudgeE. Grady JollyJackson, MS19371982–20172017–presentReagan
60Senior Circuit JudgePatrick HigginbothamSan Antonio, TX19381982–20062006–presentReagan
61Senior Circuit JudgeW. Eugene DavisNew Orleans, LA19361983–20162016–presentReagan
65Senior Circuit JudgeJohn M. Duhé Jr.inactive19331988–19991999–presentReagan
66Senior Circuit JudgeJacques L. Wiener Jr.New Orleans, LA19341990–20102010–presentG.H.W. Bush
67Senior Circuit JudgeRhesa BarksdaleJackson, MS19441990–20092009–presentG.H.W. Bush
73Senior Circuit JudgeJames L. DennisNew Orleans, LA19361995–20222022–presentClinton
74Senior Circuit JudgeEdith Brown ClementNew Orleans, LA19482001–20182018–presentG.W. Bush

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Am I reading this right? Approx 910 rapes per day in Texas alone?
Second most populous state in the country at approx 31 million, but that number does seem a bit high for reported rapes. Could be totally wrong here though.

Ady87

Yeah appreciate it's a big state. 15.1m women, that's 1 in 50 being raped annually. It just seems high but I haven't got a clue what 'normal' or comparable rape rates look like in the UK or anywhere else for that matter.

A quick Google search suggests 232 rapes on women daily in the UK. 67,330,000 population of which 33,750,000 are women.

Hamnat

Researchers at Harvard Medical School and The University of California, San Francisco, also carried out the study. They relied on several different sources for their analysis, including survey and crime report data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the FBI and the Bureau of Justice Statistics. They estimated the numbers of girls and women aged 15-45 who had survived rape that could result in pregnancy in each state after the bans took effect, then applied estimates of the pregnancy rate from rape.

The study has its limits. The researchers noted that such “highly stigmatized” experiences are difficult to capture accurately in surveys. They also used sources that contained data from before states implemented abortion bans. The researchers could not analyze trends over time, so it’s also unclear whether the estimates represent an increase from previous years.
It is better data than the GOP politicians acting like it never happens or they don't need exemptions. And even as an estimate it shows clearly the inhumanity on the victims here. Making their access to healthcare they need from these rapes unattainable. If they are being victimized by a family member or someone close. Or are too poor to afford out of state travel and lodging to get the care they need they just have to suffer.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It is better data than the GOP politicians acting like it never happens or they don't need exemptions. And even as an estimate it shows clearly the inhumanity on the victims here. Making their access to healthcare they need from these rapes unattainable. If they are being victimized by a family member or someone close. Or are too poor to afford out of state travel and lodging to get the care they need they just have to suffer.
Don't forget about this...

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It's actually roughly 65K pregnancies through rape in all the states since they enacted no rape exceptions.

Withnail

The nurse that comforted Brittany Watts, after a miscarriage of what had been diagnosed as a non-viable foetus on previous hospital visits, was directed to call the police. She told them that a patient had given birth at home and came in without the baby and claimed that she had told her she didn't want the baby.

Thankfully the charges of abusing a corpse were dropped but this seems like malicious misreporting by the nurse and hospital.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Imagine living in as state so dominated by a fairy tale. I feel so sorry for my brothers & sisters living in Alabama…

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
There needs to be more support and advice for women who have an unwanted pregnancy. Ultimately the decision will be hers but - imo - the argument that the foetus is just a mass of cells has been given far more attention than other things - like the number of girls who are unable to have other children after an abortion, or the fact that many abortions are carried out on a fully formed baby with a central nervous system. You only need look at a baby or a toddler, or any child, and imagine them being aborted to realise that the nine months in the womb are still nine months of a growing child. No woman should be bullied into an abortion, but they should be made aware - gently - of the facts.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
There needs to be more support and advice for women who have an unwanted pregnancy. Ultimately the decision will be hers but - imo - the argument that the foetus is just a mass of cells has been given far more attention than other things - like the number of girls who are unable to have other children after an abortion, or the fact that many abortions are carried out on a fully formed baby with a central nervous system. You only need look at a baby or a toddler, or any child, and imagine them being aborted to realise that the nine months in the womb are still nine months of a growing child. No woman should be bullied into an abortion, but they should be made aware - gently - of the facts.
Is that really the case? How many months into pregnancy we talking here?

Jericholyte2

Imagine living in as state so dominated by a fairy tale. I feel so sorry for my brothers & sisters living in Alabama…

Presumably they’ve budgeted for the ballooning child welfare costs that will incur, as there’ll be people sitting with 10-20 kids in the freezer (we currently have 3 remaining in the freezer after our round).

Withnail

First of all, people who advocating for women's reproductive rights are generally not advocating for bullying woman into abortion which would seem counter-intuitive.

You speak of facts, do you have any figures on the % of women that have fertility problems caused by an earlier abortion or the % of abortions performed on 'fully formed babies'?

From what I can see infertility issues arising from abortion are quite rare and I'm not aware of abortions being performed on viable pregnancies which involve a 'fully formed baby'.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

Unbelievable… well , not really. UAB has one of the top IVF and genetic counseling programs in the world. Well, it did.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
An issue that any decent country with a minimum of consideration toward its female population has solved decades ago. Yet we have American cavemen arguing against it and winning in noticeable parts of the country.

In 2024.

The bestest and most enlightened freedom merchant on the block, folks.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
First of all, people who advocating for women's reproductive rights are generally not advocating for bullying woman into abortion which would seem counter-intuitive.

You speak of facts, do you have any figures on the % of women that have fertility problems caused by an earlier abortion or the % of abortions performed on 'fully formed babies'?

From what I can see infertility issues arising from abortion are quite rare and I'm not aware of abortions being performed on viable pregnancies which involve a 'fully formed baby'.
I'm not talking about people who advocate women's rights, as much as family members. I worked in a gynae hospital, and I've seen an aborted foetus. It makes you think.

Abortions are carried out up to 23 weeks and 6 days. There are moves to increase this. At 10 weeks gestation, it's no longer an embryo. It's a foetus until birth. The statistics are very low re women who can't conceive following an abortion, but women should still be told.

https://lozierinstitute.org/fact-sheet-science-of-fetal-pain/

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/articl... the end of the,of development up until birth.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I'm not talking about people who advocate women's rights, as much as family members. I worked in a gynae hospital, and I've seen an aborted foetus. It makes you think.

Abortions are carried out up to 23 weeks and 6 days. There are moves to increase this. At 10 weeks gestation, it's no longer an embryo. It's a foetus until birth. The statistics are very low re women who can't conceive following an abortion, but women should still be told.

https://lozierinstitute.org/fact-sheet-science-of-fetal-pain/

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002398.htm#:~:text=At the end of the,of development up until birth.
The 24 week limit only applies to two of the six available grounds for abortion in Great Britain. As far as I am aware, there are no prospects of this increasing.

The Abortion Act originally had a limit (to the same two grounds) of 28 weeks. This was reduced to 24 weeks in 1990.

Has the Government announced an increase?

89% of abortions in Great Britain take place within 10 weeks, and only 1% between 20 and 24 weeks.

https://www.gov.uk/government/stati...21/abortion-statistics-england-and-wales-2021

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Is that really the case? How many months into pregnancy we talking here?
A foetus doesn't have the nerves or connections to the brain to feel pain before 24 weeks at the very earliest. However, it is widely accepted that this point is much later, even late into the 3rd trimester.

https://www.acog.org/advocacy/facts-are-important/gestational-development-capacity-for-pain

And pain is just a signal so it is likely (but debatable) that a foetus can't interpret pain the way an adult human can until well after birth, not that anyone is proposing extending abortion limits beyond birth of course.

Revan

Assumptionman

It is only a matter of time before spermatozoids would qualify as people, and masturbation would be punished as genocide.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
I'll never get over how such a fundamental right has been revoked and in the process of being destroyed in so many federal states, in this day and age.

That a substantial part of of the American population, including women, think it's the way forward is beggars belief. Then again, Trump has a good chance to be re-elected.

Last edited: