Abortion

Hamnat

After state’s high court halts historic abortion ruling, Kate Cox leaves Texas to terminate her nonviable pregnancy

Kate Cox, a Dallas woman who sued for the right to terminate her nonviable pregnancy, has left Texas to have an abortion outside the state.

Last week, an Austin judge ruled that Cox should be allowed to have an abortion in Texas, but after a petition from Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, the Supreme Court put that order on hold.

“This past week of legal limbo has been hellish for Kate,” said Nancy Northup, president and CEO for the Center for Reproductive Rights, which brought the lawsuit on Cox’s behalf. “Her health is on the line. She’s been in and out of the emergency room and she couldn’t wait any longer.”
Knew this would be the outcome. Glad she could take care of her health first and foremost.

But it is diabolical what these people put her through publicly at such a personal moment for her and her family.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
After state’s high court halts historic abortion ruling, Kate Cox leaves Texas to terminate her nonviable pregnancy

Knew this would be the outcome. Glad she could take care of her health first and foremost.

But it is diabolical what these people put her through publicly at such a personal moment for her and her family.
It only seems diabolical, but it’s exactly what one would envision as a ruling from a SC who is 100% Republican & 100% thumper (the 100% White fact isn’t in play this time, but no doubt it will be sooner than later).

Fridge chutney

If Ginsburg or Breyer kicks the bucket, or Kennedy decides to walk, then despite protests in every major city, Trump and the Republican senate will rush in a Federalist Society nutter into the vacant seat. From there it's just a manner of time.
What a prophetic post. You were spot on unfortunately.

RedDevilQuebecois

A Handmaid's Tale style militant theocracy is well on the way.
I prefer to spit on a sacred textbook, beat up a spiritual leader, burn a place of worship down to the ground and salt the earth upon the ashes rather than let any of them taking control over a woman's right to get an abortion. There, I said it. And if I offended some people who take religion a little too much at heart (I don't expect many here since United is proudly nicknamed the Red Devils, but you never know), please shove it.

Seriously, it is infuriating to see such backwards stuff against women's rights in 2023.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I prefer to spit on a sacred textbook, beat a spiritual leader, burn a place of worship down to the ground and salt the earth upon its remains rather than let any of them taking control over a woman's right to get an abortion. There, I said it. And if I offended some people who take religion a little too much at heart (I don't expect many here since United is proudly nicknamed the Red Devils, but you never know), please shove it.

Seriously, it is infuriating to see such backwards stuff against women's rights in 2023.
Religion should have zero to do with government or law.

If abortion is against your personal religious beliefs then don't have one.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
What's your thinking here? This will help democrats in elections?

Can't republicans just vote republican and rely on state referendums to allow abortion?
It's been shown to help in the recent special & off year elections.

It's an issue that does cross over political lines, motivating indies & some repubs.

The more draconian abortion issues caused by repubs stay in the national spotlight, the more it helps dems at all ballot levels.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Wonder how many women are on that court. Good we keep em the hell out of such decisions.

Mike Smalling

Every once in a while she pops up with a completely reasonable take on something. Maybe more than she used to (which is to say never), but she's still a horrible ghoul most of the time.
No matter how many times I've watched it, it will still always be satisfying to see her get burned at that Comedy Central roast. No idea why she turned up for it :lol:

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
No matter how many times I've watched it, it will still always be satisfying to see her get burned at that Comedy Central roast. No idea why she turned up for it :lol:
Burned? Jimmy Carr absolutely destroyed her. Like you, I've got no idea why she turned up either. The Trump one was glorious too, you could see he despised everyone there and hated every single second of it. To think one of the main reasons he ran for President and had such a problem with Obama was because he ripped him a little at the White House correspondents dinner. I can only imagine what he wanted to do to those at the Comedy Central Roast. :lol:

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
I sometimes have to pinch myself to ensure that what I'm reading is actually dated from 2023.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Basically it’s a granular, behind the scenes, blow by blow history of overturning Roe after RBG’s death. It's quite rare to find an article to have such in depth reporting on the inner workings of the SC, it's worth finding the time to read it.

Last edited: