Abortion

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Love this, another pro-choice ballot measure that will easily pass in a ruby red state…

Hamnat

Not only is Ashley's story a horrible tragedy. But, reading the whole article in Time and the details about how terrible the medical care is in Mississippi. I mean I knew it most of the "bible belt" states are always bottom of the barrel for healthcare and education.
But, my goodness.

And of course the very poor will have the worst access and can't afford the multi state journeys now required for healthcare decisions.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Founder of the Babylon Bee, the "more electable" DeSantis-aligned wing of the party.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

Founder of the Babylon Bee, the "more electable" DeSantis-aligned wing of the party.
What infuriates me is that if any of these politicians/right wing nuts daughters got raped and impregnated, at any age let alone as a minor, they would not hesitate to get them a secret abortion.

Yet they will continue to 'defend life' even in these cases.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
In the future women won't be allowed to leave the pro-live states they live in if they are pregnant. And reporting pregnancies will become mandatory. Give them time to create those laws, it will happen.

People think there is such thing as rights, but they are just privileges, remember that.

Siorac

I know that in politics, we should always be wary of demonising "the other side" - but... reading this thread, it's really hard to escape the conclusion that for US Republicans, the cruelty is the point. At this point it's not even about votes: this sort of hard-right, extreme position is actually quite unpopular nationwide, as several elections and referendums have clearly shown. It's really just about being as cruel and controlling as possible.

Mike Smalling

I know that in politics, we should always be wary of demonising "the other side" - but... reading this thread, it's really hard to escape the conclusion that for US Republicans, the cruelty is the point. At this point it's not even about votes: this sort of hard-right, extreme position is actually quite unpopular nationwide, as several elections and referendums have clearly shown. It's really just about being as cruel and controlling as possible.
I believe it's about a few different things for the Republicans.

- Some (a minority) actually believe that life begins at conception and therefore abortion is killing a child. Their fault is not holding that belief based in their religion, but rather forcing that belief on everyone else. A much larger group use this argument than actually believe it, but there are dogmatic Ben Shapiro types that I actually think believe in it.
- For a larger group it's about controlling women. They believe women should essentially be housewives and primarily be responsible for bringing kids into the world and raising them - abortion rights are an afront to this, because it liberates women and they hate that.
- Then there is also an element of keeping the poor in their place, which is arguably a much more cynical reasoning. By forcing people in poor areas to carry their pregnancies to term, they want to ensure future generations of people that cannot move out of poverty. These are the people that will continue to be required to work 2-3 minimum wage jobs to keep the capitalist machine going.

Cal?

CR7 fan
This is quite an absurd situation, these GOP deplorables are that pro-birth that thye don't care about winning elections any more?

It's becoming very clear abortion bans are very unpopular even in deep red states.

The Dems should just replay Trump boasting about killing Roe v Wade.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This is quite an absurd situation, these GOP deplorables are that pro-birth that thye don't care about winning elections any more?

It's becoming very clear abortion bans are very unpopular even in deep red states.

The Dems should just replay Trump boasting about killing Roe v Wade.
Yep, plus this...

Over & over & over & over & over.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
So, Texas likes court rulings that pave the way for executions, but not so much when rulings pave their way for abortions...