Academy v Southampton (A)

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
From 10.45am on MUTV, the stream is set as my homepage. Just click on my name and choose 'visit Maciek's homepage'.

Danish Wizard

Jacob; Hendrie, Blackett, McCullough, Giverin; Gorre, Rudge, Weir, Barmby; Van Velzen, Byrne..

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
1-1 HT. Southampton unlucky not to be in the lead.

Jacob by far our outstanding performer.

lysglimt

Scout
We have a huge defensive problem - 2 very poor games in a row now

Blackett who impressed me last year looked almost uninterested today. Him and Giverin left huge gaps between them and we were lucky not to have lost by more goals!

RedPhil1957

Not the most impressive performance from our lot in fact pretty poor and very disjointed. The ref was terrible and very one sided which did not help but that was no excuse.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
We have a huge defensive problem - 2 very poor games in a row now

Blackett who impressed me last year looked almost uninterested today. Him and Giverin left huge gaps between them and we were lucky not to have lost by more goals!
Blackett must def accept his part of the responsibility for a few of the goals, but all in all he was our best defender and some of his indecisiveness in the second half was surely down to the early yellow. He was good going forward though. The other 3 were poor, and it's not a back 4 that fills you with confidence. Hopefully, Dalley can help the situation.

Credit to Southampton, they closed us down well all over the place and I wouldn't be surprised to see them go far in the youth cup. Sinclair Jr. looks like a gem.

PS18

Thought Tyler was poor - doesn't seem to suit playing in the centre, even though it was his original position. Definitely look shaky at the back but it's an inexperienced unit which got little protection from an even more inexperienced midfield so not a 'huge problem' or anything. Just more proof this is gonna be and up and down sort of season.

lysglimt

Scout
Thought Tyler was poor - doesn't seem to suit playing in the centre, even though it was his original position. Definitely look shaky at the back but it's an inexperienced unit which got little protection from an even more inexperienced midfield so not a 'huge problem' or anything. Just more proof this is gonna be and up and down sort of season.
I agree with you - Southampton created SO much in that space between Giverin and Blackett - and that situation after 3 minutes when Blackett suddenly stopped and one of their strikers shot right at Jacob - not good.

We look like Arsenal - some neat passing, bad in defense and no end product up front :)

And to be honest - I don't think there will be too much up this season - there are some talented players for sure - but too many of these aren't ready for U18 football at the moment. So either they grow up quickly or we will have a mostly down-season

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
And to be honest - I don't think there will be too much up this season - there are some talented players for sure - but too many of these aren't ready for U18 football at the moment. So either they grow up quickly or we will have a mostly down-season
Keep in mind we were sans a handful of internationals today.

PS18, do you know anything about Wilson's injury?

PS18

Don't think it'll be a mostly-down season or we really need them to grow up quickly - it's just transition. We had a large intake two years ago that have just graduated (with honours), a small one last year that didn't go on to play too much but are the 'senior' guys now and lack the usual 'experience' you have from second years, and then a lot of new kids. Wasn't great today but I'm looking forward to watching them all season, think it'll be really enjoyable if there isn't too much emphasis put on results - there certainly won't be by the coaches.

Elliott - nothing official but Luke Giverin tweeted earlier that he thought it was just precautionary, so fingers crossed.

lysglimt

Scout
Don't think it'll be a mostly-down season or we really need them to grow up quickly - it's just transition. We had a large intake two years ago that have just graduated (with honours), a small one last year that didn't go on to play too much but are the 'senior' guys now and lack the usual 'experience' you have from second years, and then a lot of new kids. Wasn't great today but I'm looking forward to watching them all season, think it'll be really enjoyable if there isn't too much emphasis put on results - there certainly won't be by the coaches.

Elliott - nothing official but Luke Giverin tweeted earlier that he thought it was just precautionary, so fingers crossed.
I also find it strange that we currently have so few strikers - it was a problem last year when we only had 2 recognized strikers in Keane and Cofie - this year - do we have any ?

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
There's Byrne and a couple of wingers/midfielders who can do a job up front™. So yeah, could be a problem.